Opinion of Serbia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:24:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Serbia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Country

Horrible Country

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Serbia  (Read 1387 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »

An idiosyncratic country. Politically, its last three Prime Ministers were all somewhat radical(two right-wing, one left-wing), but then its first real PM post-Milosevic was a centrist. Culturally it has a very interesting combination of other influences. Hungarian, Austrian, and Ottoman cultures greatly affected it, while Russia's vast influence pre-WWI there caused an interesting culture. Historically it is responsible for the biggest unnecessary war in history: World War One.

Very interesting FC.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 10:32:11 PM by Meclazine »

Their behaviour was termed genocide by the Hague.

Are we rating genocide now on a scale from 1-10?

Genocide is genocide.

Oh course it was genocidal. But yes, there's a scale. These massacres fortunately never reached the level of planning and execution comparable to the Holocaust.

That's fair enough.

You have to excuse my impertinence. I have extended in-law relatives who are Bosnian, and what they went through in the 1990's was nothing short or traumatic at a most extreme level.

When you visit them in Bosnia, they have no male relatives left. All shot dead in the war.

Then you understand the gravity of what the Serbs did to such an amazingly peaceful people.

When you walk past a primary school in Sarajevo, Bosnia, and there are over 50 memorial plaques to the young students who were murdered during the war, it really hits home how brutal the Serbs were against the actual women and children population of this town.

The Serbs were gutless. They lay siege to Sarajevo which was without an army or defenses other than land mines.

They unleashed mortar and sniper fire on unarmed women and children daily for 2 years.

As soon as NATO bombed there positions in 1995, they folded and went back to Serbia, claiming as much real estate as they could on their way out the door.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »

No one will disagree with your point that what happened was absolutely horrifying. I myself know a girl my age whose family fled Bosnia when she was a little girl, and I know she still has traumas from her childhood in war-torn Sarajevo. It's absolutely something no one will downplay. The point that some of us were making was just that, while absolutely awful, what happened is not really comparable to the Holocaust as a phenomenon. There fortunately was never a plan to kill all Bosnian Muslims in former Yugoslavia.

It's just such a shame that nations that used to be so incredibly close to each other went to war like that. So unnecessary.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies