How many states would Kanye West win in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:27:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How many states would Kanye West win in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How many states would he win?
15+

10-15

5-10

1-5

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: How many states would Kanye West win in 2020?  (Read 1822 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »

Explain. I have him winning 5 states (California, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, and Hawaii, along with D.C.)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »

In a primary or a general election?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:52 PM »

Both.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »

I presume he would run as an Independent, so none.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »

I presume he would run as an Independent, so none.

For theoretical purposes, say he runs as a Democrat and is able to win the nomination.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »

Explain. I have him winning 5 states (California, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, and Hawaii, along with D.C.)

I voted zero (but he still wins DC). However, I agree with your top five states most likely to vote for Kanye in a general election, which are also probably the only states where he has even some chance of winning unless Trump is wildly unpopular.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:13 PM »

In a primary, it depends on the mood of the Democrats, as well as who else is running. If they can rally around a progressive, or a center-left candidate who is at least palatable to the progressive wing of the party, he probably won't get very far, and won't win any states (or possibly 1-3 early caucus states.) If the field is fractured, and there's a lot of anger among Democratic voters, and they want to give the establishment a middle finger, he could win many contests, and it's anyone's guess which ones he might win. I'd imagine the industrial parts of the Midwest, as well as Appalachia will be the toughest regions for him.

In a general election, it would come down to how popular Trump is. If Trump's approval ratings are at least decent (45% or higher), he'd win easily, though several states would never vote for him (the ones you mentioned as well as Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, ME-01, and I still doubt Connecticut or Rhode Island would go Republican.) If Trump is quite unpopular, but not extremely so (~40% approval rating), it'd probably be a close race, with the map looking similar to how it did this year. If Trump's approval rating is more like 30% or lower, then Kanye probably wins, with something like 10-15% of all voters voting third party.

Nominating Kanye would be a terrible move for Democrats, and I could never stomach voting for someone like him, but considering how polarized this country is, a lot of people still would, especially if he ended up being the only alternative to Trump. The idea of him winning seems absurd, and it's certainly not likely, but those saying that Kanye has no chance in a primary or general election clearly learned nothing last year.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »

In a primary, it depends on the mood of the Democrats, as well as who else is running. If they can rally around a progressive, or a center-left candidate who is at least palatable to the progressive wing of the party, he probably won't get very far, and won't win any states (or possibly 1-3 early caucus states.) If the field is fractured, and there's a lot of anger among Democratic voters, and they want to give the establishment a middle finger, he could win many contests, and it's anyone's guess which ones he might win. I'd imagine the industrial parts of the Midwest, as well as Appalachia will be the toughest regions for him.

In a general election, it would come down to how popular Trump is. If Trump's approval ratings are at least decent (45% or higher), he'd win easily, though several states would never vote for him (the ones you mentioned as well as Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, ME-01, and I still doubt Connecticut or Rhode Island would go Republican.) If Trump is quite unpopular, but not extremely so (~40% approval rating), it'd probably be a close race, with the map looking similar to how it did this year. If Trump's approval rating is more like 30% or lower, then Kanye probably wins, with something like 10-15% of all voters voting third party.

Nominating Kanye would be a terrible move for Democrats, and I could never stomach voting for someone like him, but considering how polarized this country is, a lot of people still would, especially if he ended up being the only alternative to Trump. The idea of him winning seems absurd, and it's certainly not likely, but those saying that Kanye has no chance in a primary or general election clearly learned nothing last year.

I absolutely agree with you for once. I think if Trump is popular he can pull off NY, ME-01, CT, RI, & IL would be toss-up.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »

15+, outside chance of 10-15. If Kanye actually wins the nomination, don't underestimate him.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »

If he wins the nomination, 15+ for sure. If he was able to successfully sell himself to the Democratic apparatus, he'd get at least 43% in the GE. The country is too polarized for him to lose in a true landslide.

What would him garnering 43% look like?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »

Donald Trump          535 EV     90% PV
Kanye West                 3 EV     10% PV    
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »

If he wins the nomination, 15+ for sure. If he was able to successfully sell himself to the Democratic apparatus, he'd get at least 43% in the GE. The country is too polarized for him to lose in a true landslide.

I'm not entirely sure, but if he's popular enough among Democratic voters to win the nomination in the first place, I imagine that he'd get at 187 EVs:

I don't think he'd do worse than the above map.

This. But I'd flip CT or RI.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 01:00:45 AM »

Donald Trump          535 EV     90% PV
Kanye West                 3 EV     10% PV    

Roll Eyes

You do realize that people aren't randomly thrust into the nomination, right? If Kanye West was actually popular enough to win the primary in the first place, that would likely translate to at least 40% of the vote in the general election.

Yes, I have to admit, my map is a bit of an exaggeration, but I want to emphasize that a Kanye West candidacy would be a big time loser.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:13:57 AM »

No f**king way does that lunatic win WA, OR or MD. He would no more than 21-25% of the white vote.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:33 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 03:30:42 AM by Intell »

Most democrats, I know, albeit, mostly a white, hispanic, and majority asian sample hate Kanye, and would not vote for him. He'd have reduced democratic turnout, and lose in a landslide.

In a Average Scenario

Donald Trump/Mike Pence: 370EV (55.9%)
Kayne West/Whoever: 168 EV (42.3%)

--------

Worst Case Scenario

Donald Trump/Mike Pence: 430 EV (57.2%)
Kayne West/Someone: 108 EV (40.6%)
JJC

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »

I have him carrying;

CA, NY, IL, MD, VT, and D.C

He'd still get 120 EV though because anyone with a (D) will carry the big three dem islands (CA, NY, IL).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:07:43 AM »

He would not win a single state in the primary seeing as how he's buddying up to Trump and thus wouldn't be running in the general election.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »

Once again, people are underestimating at how much Kanye can pull off.

If you don't think he can win a single state (primary or general) you didn't learn anything from last year.

Why do you think that bastard won in the first damn place (partly because rural whites felt left out, got angry because an establishment GOP nominee wouldn't have done much good anyway; something like this could totally happen so don't shoot yourself in the foot yet)?

Besides, this country is too polarized for the blowout wins above this post. Even if most Democrats did not really care for Kanye, many people would still vote for him over Trump or any third party candidate (and they're awful too). Hell, I probably would vote for Kanye for a middle finger to Trump and his terrible administration.

But anyways, he'll obviously win DC, CA, HI, NY, WA, MD, MA, IL, VT, NJ, NM, and ME-01 (100% confidence).

CT, RI, OR, and DE are also pretty high confidence.

Toss Up confidence (leaning towards West)Sad VA and CO

Pure Toss Up: MN, ME (at-large), MI, WI, PA, and FL

True Swing States: OH and IA

If Trump has a less than >40% rating, he could easily lose MI, PA and WI. Maybe even OH.

So let's dispel with all of the fiction that Kanye West is unable to win a state. We know he'll win a state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

He won't win a single state for the same reason I won't.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »

I'm not entirely sure, but if he's popular enough among Democratic voters to win the nomination in the first place, I imagine that he'd get at 187 EVs:

I don't think he'd do worse than the above map.

This is realistic. Any other states flipping wouod be a result of factors not inherent to Kanye West.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 02:33:47 PM by Lincoln Republican »

If you don't think he can win a single state (primary or general) you didn't learn anything from last year.

Why do you think that bastard won in the first damn place (partly because rural whites felt left out, got angry because an establishment GOP nominee wouldn't have done much good anyway; something like this could totally happen so don't shoot yourself in the foot yet)?

Besides, this country is too polarized for the blowout wins above this post. Even if most Democrats did not really care for Kanye, many people would still vote for him over Trump or any third party candidate (and they're awful too). Hell, I probably would vote for Kanye for a middle finger to Trump and his terrible administration.

But anyways, he'll obviously win DC, CA, HI, NY, WA, MD, MA, IL, VT, NJ, NM, and ME-01 (100% confidence).

If Trump has a less than >40% rating, he could easily lose MI, PA and WI. Maybe even OH.

So let's dispel with all of the fiction that Kanye West is unable to win a state. We know he'll win a state.

Kanye West coming anywhere near winning the states you have named, with very, very few exceptions, is completely laughable.

And if this is what the Dem bench has been reduced to, a rapper, then the Republicans will be guaranteed a win of biblical proportions. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

Guys we are talking about the celebrity who ass kissed Trump the most after the election. He is not going to "rally the angry left" or whatever just due to that.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »

If he somehow managed to win the democratic nomination, he would have done something to make himself competitive.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »

Kanye West coming anywhere near winning the states you have named, with very, very few exceptions, is completely laughable.

And if this is what the Dem bench has been reduced to, a rapper, then the Republicans will be guaranteed a win of biblical proportions. 
I mean Reps reduced to Trump, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »

He's not a Democrat.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length