Why did Kennedy do worse than Vitter in some rural counties in Northern LA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why did Kennedy do worse than Vitter in some rural counties in Northern LA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Kennedy do worse than Vitter in some rural counties in Northern LA?  (Read 1402 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »
« edited: January 02, 2017, 03:22:05 AM by MT Treasurer »

Vitter even won Tensas and Madison Parish in 2010, but Kennedy lost them (despite the fact that neighboring counties swung strongly towards Kennedy). Is it just demographic change or is one of Campbell or Vitter from there?

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:13:44 AM »

Neither Vitter nor Campbell is from there. Vitter comes from NO suburbs, Campbell - from NorthWest of state
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:46:13 AM »

Campbell is from Bossier City, by Shreveport.

When he ran for Governor in 2007, he only took 12%, but carried Bienville and Red River parishes:

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:50:58 AM »

^Ah, I see. Thanks! What about Tensas, Madison and those other two in NE LA? Demographic change?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:50 AM »

^ That string from Concordia to East Carroll is kinda weird.

If it were purely demographic change, I'm sure Morehouse parish would have swung D too. It's gone from 55/43 white/black in 2000 to 51/47 in 2010, but it still swung R.

Tensas Parish swung Dem the hardest. It had mayors races in two of its largest cites, Newellton and St. Joesph. The former was a close race where the Dem won, and the latter was a competitive D vs D race, so those probably helped turnout in the minority precincts.

These are some of the most Democratic parishes in northern Louisiana, but are also among the least populous parishes. My guess was that Melancon's campaign may have just triaged this area, especially since he was from the south. Since Melancon underperformed there, I think they reverted back to where they 'should' be in the 2016 runoff.

I've also noticed when I've done detailed maps of the area, that these parishes can be prone to large swings (because of low populations), at least at the precinct level.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:16:53 AM »

Probably due to the popularity of Nixon in those counties.  Smiley  (sorry)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 02:07:11 PM »

Why did Campbell run behind Hillary in some of the South Louisiana parishes that don't have a very high minority population? I would have guessed he would resonate more there...
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »

Why did Campbell run behind Hillary in some of the South Louisiana parishes that don't have a very high minority population? I would have guessed he would resonate more there...
If I had to make a guess, probably they were nostalgic of the Bill Clinton years (Dixicrat heritage), but voted for Kennedy since he is a former Democrat, and despite Fox News calling him a "fiscal hawk," he is actually more of a fiscal populist. Also, Campbell's hostility to the oil industry probably hurt him in parishes near the Gulf Coast.
And if you're talking about the runoff, then perhaps differences in the electorate, too.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 03:07:20 PM by Miles »

^ Campbell was the only candidate, even in the primary field, who said he believed in global warming.

That region has trended GOP sharply since the oil spill, even in terms of registration. Senate District 20 (Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes) was the only district that was Landrieu 2008 but Vitter in 2015.

Lafourche Parish especially used to be very yellow dog. In fact, in the State House, Rep. Truck Gislcair may have the most GOP legislative seat held by a Democrat, outside of Appalachia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies