|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:06:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you believe that there are only two genders (male and female), or do you believe that it is a spectrum of sorts?
There are only two genders (R)
There is a spectrum of genders (R)
There are only two genders (D)
There is a spectrum of genders (D)
There is only two genders (I/L/G/O)
There is a spectrum of genders (I/L/G/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Gender: Two or a Spectrum?  (Read 3097 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »

Since the "Recent bans" thread in The Atlas section seems to have derailed into a discussion about SJWs and genders, I figured it'd be a good idea to move the topic here. Do you believe that there are only two genders (male and female), or do you believe that it is a spectrum of sorts?

Here's where the discussion left off:
I'm just sad that Tweed is back on the net and not inside a mental hospital being pumped full of medication. The dude is a complete nutjob and his transgressions against someone as kind as BaconKing shouldn't ever be forgotten or forgiven.

He makes amazing contributions on AAD. One of the best reasons to go there.

You should always forgive.

Did he even apologize?

Can someone tell me what happened please?
short neutrally worded summary: tweed convinced bacon king to share his password, which he then used to leak a whole bunch of stuff from the mods' private subforum

Isn't Bacon a woman?

he identified that way at the time but doesn't anymore, i'm pretty sure
They identify as genderqueer, and have decided against any transitioning  into being a woman physically.
    There's a word for someone who is not a woman, or transitioning into being a woman. That word is "man".

Not if you recognize that the concept of gender is a complex one and doesn't necessarily support binary categorization.

Those types of ideas are exactly why America rejected SJWism.  The Democrats have lost touch with America by this focus on gender identity.

To be fair, you could argue that "focus on gender identity" from the right is exactly why McCrory lost. Id est there's not some sort of silent majority for the conservative position here, but people are frustrated with the issue in general.
From what I've read, the biggest reason North Carolina dumped McCroy was because the NBA left Charlotte and harmed the economy there- keep in mind that the NC gubernatorial election wasn't a landslide, it was very close in fact.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 08:21:39 PM by Blue3 »

There are people born on a whole spectrum of intersex variations. Physical & genetic variations.

For one example, you can find out years/decades after birth that, despite being physically born a girl, she actually has the XY chromosome (female is XX) and unable to have kids.

Some are born with a micropenis, that's surgically removed, and then brought up as female basically from birth.  

You can be born with male genetics and male genitals, but have something going on where you basically have the hormone system of a woman.

There's sex chromosome combinations that are neither XX or XY.

You can be born with both a vagina/clitoris and a penis/testicles.

Then there's several variations of born hermaphrodites.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »

Gender is a spook
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:58:55 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2017, 12:20:04 AM by Apocrypha »

Blue3 is correct.  But I find this "controversy" as a whole extremely boring even as someone who does identify as genderqueer and as it's been said it's only neckbeards, SJWs, and sheltered people like ExtremeRepublican who actually give a hoot.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »

There are two(ish) biological sexes. Gender is not a useful or meaningful attribute to assign to individuals.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »

There are two(ish) biological sexes. Gender is not a useful or meaningful attribute to assign to individuals.

Except for the fact that it's a major part of many peoples inner selves.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 10:42:25 PM »

There are people born on a whole spectrum of intersex variations. Physical & genetic variations.

For one example, you can find out years/decades after birth that, despite being physically born a girl, she actually has the XY chromosome (female is XX) and unable to have kids.

Some are born with a micropenis, that's surgically removed, and then brought up as female basically from birth. 

You can be born with male genetics and male genitals, but have something going on where you basically have the hormone system of a woman.

There's sex chromosome combinations that are neither XX or XY.

You can be born with both a vagina/clitoris and a penis/testicles.

Then there's several variations of born hermaphrodites.

You're talking about biological sex here, which is not the same thing as gender (due to transgender persons), though they are very heavily correlated. Regardless of gender there's little case to be made that there are more than two biological sexes, considering that about the only factor you've mentioned that is truly relevant to biological sex is the presence or lack thereof of a Y-chromosome. Intersex babies and hermaphroditism are complicating factors, though part of that is that nobody is going to do genetic testing to determine the chromosomal content of a newborn. Doctors should be far less imperious in terms of assigning sex to newborns, considering the problems they cause in doing so.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »

Who gives a frick.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »

Sex and gender are the same thing, of which there are only two and that is unchangeable.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 08:48:36 AM »

Does it matter what I think?  Science tells me there are 2, and they are determined at conception by chromosomes.  If some people want to self label as some other thing and call it their gender, what the funk do I care?  On the other hand, if you look like a lady to me and I say "thank you ma'am" after you provide a service for me and you get all pissy about it, then I care, and you're a c**nt.

So, how many genders? 2  Do I care if you call yourself something else as a gender? nope  Didn't vote.
mencken
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »

Those with a Y chromosome and those without a Y chromosome (along with the incredibly rare mosaic types). Anything else is as valid as Lysenkoism.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »

Spectrum, but
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »

Conservatives get offended so quickly nowadays.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »

People are, or at least should, be free to identify themselves as whatever they want, but I see no reason to separate gender from sex, and for sex there are two.  I kind of feel like the idea that being a man or a woman is something apart from your chromosomes only reinforces the whole gender role thing that I thought SJW's seem to hate.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »

Sex and gender are the same thing, and there are only two. Simple biology.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 02:26:56 PM »

Republicans once again prove they are the worst party.

Spectrum, obviously. It's kind of silly that people are shouting "BIOLOGY!" when the most important lesson of biology is that there are exceptions to basically every rule.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »

How would one want to approach this? Physically or mentally? Physically, there are 2 expressions of gender, save for rare instances of both at the same time. These physical attributes do not always correspond to the gender the person's brain was wired to be. Mentally, even in terms of brain structure, things are not so rigid.

The problem I run into is that there isn't enough science on this issue to go making a ton of labels (as has already been done). Some things I have read though suggest a sort of fluidity that isn't always black and white. For instance:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/10/gender-identity-transgender-science-how-big-questions-unanswered

It's going to take a lot more progress in neuroscience and much better understanding of the mind before we can answer this question definitively.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »

I'd have to look up the definition of "gender," but in the way normal, everyday people use it, I suppose there would be at most three (male, female, trans).
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »

Two sexes (three if you include intersex as a sex) and a gender spectrum, as it's clear that there's a distinction.

Don't know why this makes people so mad.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 06:02:42 AM »

Science tells me there are 2, and they are determined at conception by chromosomes.

No it doesn't; since intersex people exist and they are neither male or female and while traditionally there'd be surgical intervention to create what wikipedia calls "more socially acceptable sex characteristics" (which I think is a really funny term for some reason) but that's really quite controversial: there's no real proof that doing so actually benefits intersex people and the rate of gender dysphoria amongst the intersex community is much, much higher than it is amongst the general population, which is only to be expected really.

There's been a move away from surgical intervention at birth by default unless it is urgently needed in favour of leaving it up to the individual later on in life to decide if they want surgery, and if they do what type they would like: indeed its now illegal in Malta and "suspended" in Chile and there was a court case in Germany where a person who was operated on without being given the full information in the 70s (she had ambiguous genitals and was assigned male and had early male puberty: then at 14 during another procedure they found out that she had a full set of functioning female organs and a chromosomal pattern typical for that of a women: but didn't tell her the last part but instead told her that they also found testicular tissue when they hadn't and operated, and then later on in life she wanted to transition to live as a women and then found all of this stuff in it) which led to the person involved being awarded €100,000 in damages.  Its a very touchy issue and proof really that there isn't two biological sexes either.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »

If I'm honest, a lot of people on the spectrum are probably trans people that are trying to mitigate their own personal feelings of dysphoria in a way they can cope with.not my businessmen though - people have the perogative to define the way they want. The idea that this has anything to do with the election is proof that politics nerds often don't understand how the real world works.
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »

Two Genders.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »

There are only two genders, transgender and intersex are not part of a spectrum, but a combination of the two.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies