2016 With Old Party Coalitions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:44:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016 With Old Party Coalitions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 With Old Party Coalitions  (Read 809 times)
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »

Over time, the Democratic and Republican Party coalitions have changed a lot. So I'd like to ask how a modern election would play out with the party structures of a hundred years ago? Before black people moved to the Democrats, before southern whites moved to the Republicans, back when both parties had liberal and conservative factions and William Jennings Bryan was a thing.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »

I could be able to crank out a map if someone would tell me what the coalitions 100 years ago were
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »

As far as I know, it went something like this:

Republicans: Northern business interests, African Americans, evangelicals and professionals. It was strongly nationalist and supported urban growth, but was also for prohibition in its day. (probably not anymore, but that would imply evangelical support and probably pro-life positions)

Democrats: White southerners, immigrant groups, catholics, and rural westerners. It was more populist (think William Jennings Bryan) but also had some conservative elements. Immigrant groups meant Irish and Italian I think, but nowadays it would probably mean large latino support.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

I'd first add that while Republicans might have been winning "urban" states, they weren't really winning urban areas; places like New York City, Boston and Philadelphia had a lot of Democratic power, AFAIK.  I suppose I could attempt at trying to "carry forward" demographics to 2016?

- Whites of English ancestry (roughly, "WASPs") were heavily Republican outside of the South, so I am going to just translate that to White Protestants and Catholics outside of the South, as those groups seem to enjoy the same "established" or privileged status as WASPs did 100 years ago ... so maybe 60/40 Republican?
- Catholics voted heavily Democratic BECAUSE many of them were immigrants, so I am going to carry forward the Catholic vote to just being the Hispanic vote, which would vote about 80/20 Democratic then in this scenario.
- I remember seeing that Blacks in the Northern cities had already started only voting about 60%-40% Republican by the turn of the century, as many Democratic machines actually incorporated them into the organization.  Blacks in the South who could vote were likely staunch Republicans, but not many of them could (but would be able to now).  I'll say the nationwide Black vote would be like 65% Republican, with Northern Blacks pretty comfortably over to the Democrats and Southern Blacks remaining more Republican?
- Native Southern Whites, especially in the Deep South and/or rural areas, would likely be 80%-20% Democratic, with transplants being Republican?

80% = Safe, 50% = Likely, 30% = Lean, Gray = Tossup

Did this super fast while at work and will probably edit it later/will gladly accept suggestions for change!
tomhguy
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -1.00

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »

I would change Ohio to a toss up like it was back then
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »

Over time, the Democratic and Republican Party coalitions have changed a lot. So I'd like to ask how a modern election would play out with the party structures of a hundred years ago? Before black people moved to the Democrats, before southern whites moved to the Republicans, back when both parties had liberal and conservative factions and William Jennings Bryan was a thing.

You can't have the same coalitions as before because the issues are different.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies