Conservatives: No to Gonzales

<< < (6/6)

TomC:
Quote from: dazzleman on July 18, 2005, 05:01:41 AM

I love how the Democrats are trying to get Bush to appoint a liberal judge.  If they had won the election, would they be considering conservatives for the Supreme Court?  These people want to control everything even after losing election after election.

True, if we want to name our own judges, we need to win elections. But our senators also have a duty to advise and consent, which is what they will do. Bush's election doesn't negative the election of 44 Democratic senators and a handful of moderate Republican senators from states that didn't vote for Bush. By your logic, if the GOP wants justices appointed without question, they have some more elections to win.

And I've heard plenty of Democrats, including the far left NOW who have said they hope Bush will appoint a moderate in the mold of Reagan appointee Sandra Day O'Connor, the same line I'm hearing from moderate Bush voters.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└:
Quote from: Citizen Cash on July 18, 2005, 11:38:01 AM

Quote from: dazzleman on July 18, 2005, 05:01:41 AM

I love how the Democrats are trying to get Bush to appoint a liberal judge.  If they had won the election, would they be considering conservatives for the Supreme Court?  These people want to control everything even after losing election after election.

True, if we want to name our own judges, we need to win elections. But our senators also have a duty to advise and consent, which is what they will do. Bush's election doesn't negative the election of 44 Democratic senators and a handful of moderate Republican senators from states that didn't vote for Bush. By your logic, if the GOP wants justices appointed without question, they have some more elections to win.

And I've heard plenty of Democrats, including the far left NOW who have said they hope Bush will appoint a moderate in the mold of Reagan appointee Sandra Day O'Connor, the same line I'm hearing from moderate Bush voters.

Well, obviously we'd like someone anti-torture. And it would be nice if Bush did what Clinton did, appointing nominees suggested by a leading Senator of the other party (Hatch of Utah), even though his own party controlled the Senate at the time. However, we expect that Bush is too partisan to do that, so we'd settle for someone only 90% crazy like Gonzales.

TomC:
Quote from: jfern on July 18, 2005, 11:39:46 AM

Well, obviously we'd like someone anti-torture.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think that once Bush (and Rove and Cheney) isn't his boss, he won't write memos that upholds Bush's war policies.

Fmr. Gov. NickG:

I was at a speech that Gonzales gave last week, and noticed that his voice sounds a lot like that of George HW Bush.  Maybe that's why GWB likes him so much.

WMS:
Quote from: Frente Farabundo Martí para la Liberación Nacional on July 17, 2005, 04:34:16 PM

Quote from: CARLHAYDEN on July 17, 2005, 04:32:48 PM

he believe that people should have the legal rights determined by their ethnicity/race rather than their individual merits (in short he supports politicallyh correct preferences). 

so does Bush, otherwise Gonzales would not be AG and Rice would not be Sec of State right now.

Don't know about Gonzales, but that's not the case with Rice. Rice and Bush are very good and very old friends, and if there's an additional factor that got Rice the Sec of State (and Natl Sec Adv, before) job other than her qualifications - and I do think she's qualified for both positions on her own merits - it's that, not her race or gender.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page