How did Trump win Pinellas County, FL? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:40:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did Trump win Pinellas County, FL? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Trump win Pinellas County, FL?  (Read 3275 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »

Interestingly enough, Pinellas County is 8% Latino in the Census but only 4.5% of the county are registered Latinos. 80% of registered voters are white while whites were 82% in the 2010 Census. I'd assume given Trump's 64% among white voters that he gained 20,000 among whites and won the county.

I suppose precinct level maps might tell us. That said the white population here has been dropping surprisingly. It dropped by 40,000 between 2000 and 2010 (4%).

It seems there were enough white voters to win Pinellas County for Trump. Note Obama won a majority while Trump won 48% - Clinton's voters stayed home and turnout was down 6,000 from 2012. Most of the Clinton voters staying home appear to have been white (or maybe some switched to Trump).

As for Hillsborough, Fla., whites made up 71% of the county in 2010 and 59% of the registered voters in 2016. Obama won the county by 6 (52-46) while Clinton won by 7 (51-44).

To conclude: whites abandoned Hillary (and turned out for Trump) in Pinellas and demographics masked the Clinton drop-off in Hillsborough among white voters. I am pretty sure precinct maps would show that Hillary lost white voters from 2012 in Hillsborough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies