Will Gina Raimondo face a serious primary challenge in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:22:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Gina Raimondo face a serious primary challenge in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Gina Raimondo face a serious primary challenge in 2018?  (Read 1172 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »

One of the least popular governors in the United States presently and I gather the public sector unions still hate her.

I'd have to assume that if she faced a serious primary challenger and the primary election were held today that she'd lose.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:26:05 AM »

Hopefully she and fellow unpopular 3rd wayer Malloy go down.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 03:30:30 AM »

One of the least popular governors in the United States presently and I gather the public sector unions still hate her.

I'd have to assume that if she faced a serious primary challenger and the primary election were held today that she'd lose.

Related question: will Republicans finally run a good candidate (someone like Scott Avedisian) here?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 03:41:53 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 03:45:56 AM by Adam T »

Related question: will Republicans finally run a good candidate (someone like Scott Avedisian) here?

Finally? If you mean a good candidate as in winning the election, two Republicans held the Rhode Island Governorship from 1994 to 2010.  After that, the former Republican (briefly turned Democratic Presidential candidate) Lincoln Chafee held the position for one term from 2010 to 2014 (elected as an independent.)

If you mean your preferred 'moderate' candidates as in a 'good candidate', why shouldn't the Republicans have nominated those two people who became Governors since, after all,  they won?

Of course, if they were unqualified for the office like President-Elect Donald Trump is for the office he is almost certainly about to assume, that would be different, but I don't think that was the case with either of them,
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »

Finally? If you mean a good candidate as in winning the election, two Republicans held the Rhode Island Governorship from 1994 to 2010.  After that, the former Republican (briefly turned Democratic Presidential candidate) Lincoln Chafee held the position for one term from 2010 to 2014 (elected as an independent.)

If you mean your preferred 'moderate' candidates as in a 'good candidate', why shouldn't the Republicans have nominated those two people who became Governors since, after all,  they won?

Of course, if they were unqualified for the office like President-Elect Donald Trump is for the office he is almost certainly about to assume, that would be different, but I don't think that was the case with either of them,

I know that Republicans (present or past) held Rhode Island governorship for 20 years, as good as you are. By "finally" i meant their 2014 candidate. Fung was not only pro-life (that's tolerable in mostly Catholic state), but - conservative on most major issues too, while Rhode Island - is not. Better candiddate could beat Raimondo even then. But if you speak about your beloved "true progressives" - not sure that they will be able either to win primary or defeat Republican candidate. This year (as in 2010 and 2014) most of them were far from being convincing..
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:09:35 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 04:11:42 AM by Adam T »

I know that Republicans (present or past) held Rhode Island governorship for 20 years, as good as you are. By "finally" i meant their 2014 candidate. Fung was not only pro-life (that's tolerable in mostly Catholic state), but - conservative on most major issues too, while Rhode Island - is not. Better candiddate could beat Raimondo even then. But if you speak about your beloved "true progressives" - not sure that they will be able either to win primary or defeat Republican candidate. This year (as in 2010 and 2014) most of them were far from being convincing..

Since when do I belove 'True Progressives?'  I'm probably at least as conservative as you are on economic issues.

I have almost as much contempt for Bernie Sanders types and their simple solutions as I have for Donald Trump types and their insane solutions.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 04:29:47 AM »

^ Sorry. I didn't noticed that in your posts. May be i was wrong. Nevertheless i think that main part of my post is correct: Rhode Island is NOT so liberal as many people think (and this year, despite obviously voting for Hillary. it made substantial swing to Trump). There are no easy solutions for problems of this non-growing state, so - we will see. Probably - no governor here will be especially popular
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »

^ Sorry. I didn't noticed that in your posts. May be i was wrong. Nevertheless i think that main part of my post is correct: Rhode Island is NOT so liberal as many people think (and this year, despite obviously voting for Hillary. it made substantial swing to Trump). There are no easy solutions for problems of this non-growing state, so - we will see. Probably - no governor here will be especially popular

I think the swing to Trump is a reaction to the unpopularity of Gina Raimondo, and previously wrote that on this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254503.msg5434588#msg5434588

1.Kansas unpopularity of Sam Brownback.

I think this also is the best explanation for the Democratic Presidential decline in Connecticut and Rhode Island (there was no similar decline in those states in the aggregate Congressional vote) with the unpopularity of Governors Dan Malloy and Gina Raimondo.  I think the extreme unpopularity of Dan Malloy has been well covered, but on Gina Raimondo:

http://www.golocalprov.com/politics/fecteau-raimondo-deserves-a-credible-primary-opponent

"Mrs. Raimondo’s approval rating barely ekes above 40% for a reason — making her one of the least popular governors throughout the country. Some of it has to do with her inability to connect working and middle-income families she represents (she is an asocial introvert), but much of it has to do with the fact she is so inundated with controversy, makes poor decisions, and has a track record that doesn’t correspond with her campaign promises. "

and

Morning Consult's latest survey of the nation's governors shows that Gina Raimondo's approval/disapproval track has slipped slightly, to 38 percent/55 percent. The poll of registered voters has a six percentage point margin of error.

Probably not coincidently about one month before the first article, somebody at the Wall Street Journal wrote an opinion editorial praising Raimondo:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-island-of-rationality-in-blue-state-new-england-1479513092
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2016, 04:54:43 AM by smoltchanov »

^ Well, Raimondo ran in 2014 as "fiscal conservative", IIRC... So, it must NOT be too surprising, that WSJ praises her. And 38-55, while obviously low, still stands substantially higher then Brownback's "about 20". So - may be, but not neccessary, IMHO.... And Republicans, who are usually in dire minority in Rhode Island, badly need their "own" Baker, Scott or Hogan.... That's why a candidacy of Avedisian comes to mind: longtime mayor of large (by RI standard) Warwick, and popular...
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 05:09:47 AM »

^ Well, Raimondo ran in 2014 as "fiscal conservative", IIRC... So, it must NOT be too surprising, that WSJ praises her. And 38-55, while obviously low, still stands substantially higher then Brownback's "about 20". So - may be, but not neccessary, IMHO.... And Republicans, who are usually in dire minority in Rhode Island, badly need their "own" Baker, Scott or Hogan.... That's why a candidacy of Avedisian comes to mind: longtime mayor of large (by RI standard) Warwick, and popular...

If he runs for Governor then in 2018 it strikes me that makes it all the more imperative for Democrats to primary Raimondo.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »

^ May be. If everything goes normal we will know in 1 - 1.5 years...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »

Our Revolution took out a fair few incumbent Democrats in the State Legislator this year, so I'd hazard a yes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

Hopefully. If not, Ken Block or Robert Nardolillo could beat her.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »

Raimondo won the 2014 primary with 42.15% of the vote, so I'd imagine if the anti-Raimondo faction can agree on a candidate, they have a chance at beating her. As for the general, who knows? I don't think being a "progressive" is a death sentence in Rhode Island.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »

Raimondo won the 2014 primary with 42.15% of the vote, so I'd imagine if the anti-Raimondo faction can agree on a candidate, they have a chance at beating her. As for the general, who knows? I don't think being a "progressive" is a death sentence in Rhode Island.

No, of course. Claiborn Pell proved it long ago. Nevertheless - state has a lot of relatively conservative Democrats as successfull politicians (mostly on state level), and some not very conservative Republicans, who were successfull too...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:05 PM »

No, of course. Claiborn Pell proved it long ago. Nevertheless - state has a lot of relatively conservative Democrats as successfull politicians (mostly on state level), and some not very conservative Republicans, who were successfull too...

I never suggested otherwise?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »

No. I simply went into details..
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »

Between Bernie winning the primary here, and several fake Democrats losing their primaries, I hope RI Democrats are waking up and primary her.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »

No. I simply went into details..

Fair enough.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »

This is probably obvious - Not very popular, generally considered a right of center anti-union technocrat. Not sure who is going to jump in but it is going to be someone.

Rhode Island is kind of in a hopeless tailspin, and nothing Raimondo or Chafee could've done would've made it better (though Chafee is so inept tht nothing would've gotten done ANYWAY).
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 12:25:44 AM »

While on the state level I would say the state is center-left ideologically but on the federal level the state is liberal.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 12:39:29 AM »

While on the state level I would say the state is center-left ideologically but on the federal level the state is liberal.

We talked exactly about state level (governorship, legislature, and so on)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »

I could see one of the newly elected Sanders state legislators like Jeanine Calkin going after Raimondo.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies