the 2004 white vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:39:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  the 2004 white vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: the 2004 white vote  (Read 9591 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2005, 07:58:37 PM »

What's amazing is that every county in New York voted for Harding and Coolidge. Have the demographics changed that significantly?

Blacks were more inclined to vote GOP back then probably and hispanics and asians were few and far between.  Many of the people in NYC were first-generation european immigrants (but I don't know why they would want to vote GOP).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2005, 09:09:41 PM »

What's amazing is that every county in New York voted for Harding and Coolidge. Have the demographics changed that significantly?

Blacks were more inclined to vote GOP back then probably and hispanics and asians were few and far between.  Many of the people in NYC were first-generation european immigrants (but I don't know why they would want to vote GOP).

First-generation European immigrants in NYC (especially the Irish, but also other Catholics and, increasingly, Jews) would vote solidly Democratic back then - do the words "Tammany Hall" and "Gov'nor Smith" ring a bell? But the blacks, of course, would, probably, vote overwhelmingly Republican, and so would the old-time Northern WASPs. Democrats in the North were the "white trash" party (the young FDR being an aristocratic exception). Few Asians or Hispanics, of course, were in existence.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2005, 12:17:44 AM »

Actually Bush did very well in high-minority states. The South, Southwest all have large minority populations. Virginia has the same minority % as NY state, believe it or not. He won VA easily while losing NY because the whites are more liberal in NY.

This is only true because he did remarkably well among whites. The Reps are about as successful with minorities as the Dems are with Evangelical Christians(I guess they are technically a minority too, though).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 05:34:01 AM »

New York City has voted Republican three times in history IIRC - for McKinley (96 only), Harding and Coolidge.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2005, 08:50:19 PM »

Do you have pre-1892 numbers?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2005, 06:03:47 AM »

I do...somewhere...and only major parties (and Van Buren 1848 is lacking, which is a crying shame because the data for that year are really quite useless as a result). Back to 1840 or 1832 or something like that.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 07:02:13 PM »

surprising. Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I feel ashamed. Sad
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2005, 07:23:59 PM »

Why? Would you rather be a member of the subject race?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2005, 04:58:58 AM »

For New York County (Manhattan) 1828-1960

Jackson 62 JQ Adams 38
Jackson 59 Clay 41
Van Buren 52 Harrison 48
Van Buren 51 Harrison 49 Birney 0.4
Polk 52 Clay 48 Birney 0.3
Taylor 54 Cass 36 Van Buren 10 Smith 0.3
Pierce 59 Scott 40 Webster 0.4 Hale 0.3
Buchanan 54 Fillmore 25 Fremont 21
*Fusion 65 Lincoln 35

*Fusion slate included 18 Douglas, 10 Bell, and 7 Breckinridge electors.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2005, 02:22:23 AM »

This map is not good news for Democrats.

That being said, thank God I live in New England!! Here we are safe from the evangelical tyranny that seems to have infected the rest of the country since 2000.

Those United States of Canada/Jesus Land Maps were very accurate.

On another note, I think upstate New York's economy is also suffering b/c of its cold climate and post-industrial economy. It was the powerhouse of the Nation for much of the last 200 years, it takes awhile to transistion to new industries. There are certainly more factors playing then taxes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2005, 02:27:28 AM »

This map is not good news for Democrats.

That being said, thank God I live in New England!! Here we are safe from the evangelical tyranny that seems to have infected the rest of the country since 2000.

Those United States of Canada/Jesus Land Maps were very accurate.

On another note, I think upstate New York's economy is also suffering b/c of its cold climate and post-industrial economy. It was the powerhouse of the Nation for much of the last 200 years, it takes awhile to transistion to new industries. There are certainly more factors playing then taxes.

If you ever heard Pataki, you'd think upstate NY had the best economy in the country.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »

This is an old thread, and the initial map has long since disappeared, but if I had to guess, Kerry probably only won a clear majority of the white vote in New England (aside from possibly Connecticut, where whites may have narrowly gone for Bush) and Washington D.C. Whites in Oregon and Washington were probably close to 50/50, and Bush almost certainly won whites in California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies