the 2004 white vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:32:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  the 2004 white vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: the 2004 white vote  (Read 9600 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2005, 10:09:59 AM »
« edited: July 16, 2005, 10:19:26 AM by WalterMitty »

discuss.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »

NY and CA surprise me a bit, I suppose, but otherwise nothing to phone home about.

I'm also surprised that (possibly excluding African-Americans) CNN's exit polling say that whites were Kerry's strongest ethnic group in Hawaii.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 09:07:14 PM »

NY and CA surprise me a bit, I suppose, but otherwise nothing to phone home about.

I'm also surprised that (possibly excluding African-Americans) CNN's exit polling say that whites were Kerry's strongest ethnic group in Hawaii.

Polynesians in Hawaii are very, very pro-incumbent.  Look at Nixon in 1972.
skybridge
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »

That was over thirty years ago! Minnesota hasn't gone Republican once since then.

Anyway, this map (like all maps) proves that a Northeasterner should be in the White House again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:19:50 PM »

That was over thirty years ago!
It's still true. Pilipinos as well.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »

That was over thirty years ago!
It's still true. Pilipinos as well.

Yeah, I didn't really believe until those Hawaii polls showing Bush ahead.  I mean, look at Presidential reelections or attemps using the partisan index:

1960: 0.73 D
1964: 34.94 D
1968: 21.8 D
1972: 1.8 R
1976: 0.5 D
1980: 11.6 D
1984: 6.9 D
1988: 17.2 D
1992: 5.8 D
1996: 16.8 D
2000: 17.8 D
2004: 11.2 D

In every case, the incumbent did better in Hawaii (taking into account the nation result) running for reelection than he did in his original election.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 12:47:10 PM »

If Clark, or Edwards, or even Gephardt had been nominated, how would these maps have differed?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »

If Clark, or Edwards, or even Gephardt had been nominated, how would these maps have differed?

They may have differed somewhat, but probably not substantially.  No Democrat has won the white vote in any election since LBJ in 1964.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »

They may have differed somewhat, but probably not substantially.  No Democrat has won the white vote in any election since LBJ in 1964.

And no Republican has one the white vote in D.C. since Nixon.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 01:02:45 PM »

There are no whites in DC other than UN types, so what difference does that make?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 01:21:46 PM »

There are no whites in DC other than UN types, so what difference does that make?

very very false. I doubt 30% of DC are UN workers.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 01:38:10 PM »

He said UN types, not UN workers. Whatever he meant by that, people who approve of the UN's existence maybe? In that case he's probably right. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 02:15:09 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 02:19:40 PM by dazzleman »

I was exaggerating; of course I know there are some whites in DC, but they are a relatively small minority.  They are far, far more liberal than average, and the demographic spectrum of these whites is very limited, far more so than in the typical city.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 02:53:20 PM »

As a New Yorker, I'm not surprised at all.  I'm within 1.5 hrs of NYC, my county went 55-45 for Bush.  You take the 5 borough's of NYC out of the equation and NY is not a democratic stronghold
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »

As a New Yorker, I'm not surprised at all.  I'm within 1.5 hrs of NYC, my county went 55-45 for Bush.  You take the 5 borough's of NYC out of the equation and NY is not a democratic stronghold

Kerry won upstate NY if it includes Westchester County.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 03:07:18 PM »

Westchester County is generally not considered upstate.

Being a former New Yorker and Westchesterite, I know it depends on your perspective.  People in Manhattan consider Westchester upstate, while those upstate consider it part of the city.

While Westchester voted Republican, as it did for decades, New York was a swing state that leaned toward the Democrats, rather than a Democratic stronghold as it is now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 03:12:28 PM by jfern »

Being a former New Yorker and Westchesterite, I know it depends on your perspective.  People in Manhattan consider Westchester upstate, while those upstate consider it part of the city.

While Westchester voted Republican, as it did for decades, New York was a swing state that leaned toward the Democrats, rather than a Democratic stronghold as it is now.

I think he also won NY north of the 42nd parallel. Gore may have won upstate sans Westchester.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »

I think he also won NY north of the 42nd parallel. Gore may have won upstate sans Westchester.

Gore did perform marginally better in New York than Kerry, but there was not a big difference.  Geographically, Clinton in 1996 probably performed the best of recent elections, picking up a number of upstate counties.

The big shift in NY is that the NYC suburbs, which were always Republican strongholds, have gone over to the Democrats, and the city has become even more strongly Democratic.  Upstate still trends Republican.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 04:44:30 PM »

Gore did perform marginally better in New York than Kerry, but there was not a big difference.  Geographically, Clinton in 1996 probably performed the best of recent elections, picking up a number of upstate counties.

The big shift in NY is that the NYC suburbs, which were always Republican strongholds, have gone over to the Democrats, and the city has become even more strongly Democratic.  Upstate still trends Republican.

Yes, the "closer" NYC Suburbs are Suffolk and Nassau counties on Long Island but those have also gone democratic recently ( Suffolk was 1% win for Kerry).  However, those counties as well as the fewer upstate pockets could be offset by the bulk of the state if it were not for the 5 boroughs of NYC that skew so heavily democratic.  Given the trends towards those counties shifting, means that this will be a democratic state until Republicans can do better with Minority votes 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 04:55:40 PM »

Welcome back, Pollwatch! Haven't seen you in eight months.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 06:43:09 PM »

I love when Republicans say "take the city out of my state and we're not so democratic anymore!".  Well duh! 

Look at people and not just land area for once. 
Pollwatch99

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 07:21:10 PM »

Welcome back, Pollwatch! Haven't seen you in eight months.

Thanks.  Time to turn my attention back to politics 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 07:30:32 PM »

Yes, the "closer" NYC Suburbs are Suffolk and Nassau counties on Long Island but those have also gone democratic recently ( Suffolk was 1% win for Kerry).  However, those counties as well as the fewer upstate pockets could be offset by the bulk of the state if it were not for the 5 boroughs of NYC that skew so heavily democratic.  Given the trends towards those counties shifting, means that this will be a democratic state until Republicans can do better with Minority votes 

Either that or they have to do better in the suburbs to offset the city voters.  That is how it always worked in the past, and it was a much better system.  The state is going down the toilet as it is currently.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 08:55:51 PM »

I love when Republicans say "take the city out of my state and we're not so democratic anymore!".  Well duh! 

yes, those type of statements are so stupid. Guess what? The city is sitll part of the state! Just because you don't want it there doesn't mean you can pretend it isn't.

You know, Alabama is a pretty damn Democratic state if you remove everything except Macon county.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 08:57:54 PM »

New York City is a political albatross around the state's neck.  Most cities have dysfunctional and parasitic politics, and when they have too high a percentage of the state's population, they become a major drag politically.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies