How much of an influence the alt-right will have in the 2020 election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:44:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How much of an influence the alt-right will have in the 2020 election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How much of an influence the alt-right will have in the 2020 election?
A lot

Not so much

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: How much of an influence the alt-right will have in the 2020 election?  (Read 2462 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »

With global populism growing in many parts of the world (Brexit, Duterte, Le Pen, far right parties in Europe) and even in the U.S. with the election of Donald Trump, one of the unfortunate biggest side effects of these is the rise of the alt-right. However do you think this movement will stick around by 2020, and if you do do you think they'll have an influence in the 2020 election?
Mike67
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:54:01 PM »

With global populism growing in many parts of the world (Brexit, Duterte, Le Pen, far right parties in Europe) and even in the U.S. with the election of Donald Trump, one of the unfortunate biggest side effects of these is the rise of the alt-right. However do you think this movement will stick around by 2020, and if you do do you think they'll have an influence in the 2020 election?

The Media is dying and people believe it less and less. I think Drudge Report,Breitbart,Infowars and other Conservative websites will be around for a long time to come.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:57:16 PM »

As much influence as Tumblr folks. So, none at all.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »

None because they are firmly in the cult of Trump. However, they will be very important in 2024 and beyond.
Make My Bank Account Great Again
KingCharles
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »

The Media is dying and people believe it less and less. I think Drudge Report,Breitbart,Infowars and other Conservative websites will be around for a long time to come.

This also applies to the Left. The Young Turks, Secular Talk, Jimmy Dore, and all the other bastions of online left media will continue to motivate and grow the Bernie base of the Democratic Party.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:36:12 PM »

The Media is dying and people believe it less and less.

Well I can say the media ain't "dying", but journalists are being viewed like politicians, which imo is a disaster.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:09:34 AM »

it'll either be fielding an incumbent president or a recently dead/impeached/resigned/etc one

so a lot, obviously
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

We don't know for sure how much influence the alt-right will be on President Trump. Bad idea to turn preconceived notions into certainty with an opaque president-elect who considers the truth relative. More arrogant posters may be sure of everything already but we frankly don't know his true agenda.

But one major factor will be the Democratic nominee. If the Democrats nominate a Clintonite or a SF style social liberal who's less able to attract the WWC it may well empower the alt right even if Trump is unpopular. If the Dems nominate an SJW latte liberal against a president Trump with decent enough approval ratings, and the party doubles down on the sunbelt strategy and driving minority turnout and  throws the poor rural populations of the upper midwest to the wolves, the alt right could truly blossom into a serious political force.

On the other hand a race between an economic populist Democrat who actually visits Wisconsin, who visits the factory towns and asks them if they're better off now than four years ago, vs a Donald Trump with poor approval ratings or a President Pence would marginalize the alt right - right back into the shadows of irrelevancy.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »

Less than in this election, more than in pre-2016 elections.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »

Less than in this election, more than in pre-2016 elections.

Pretty much, yeah.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »

Richard Spencer pretty much ruined "White identity politics"' chances of going mainstream with his "Heil Trump!" salute.
Jesus save us
NJR
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »

What about the 2018 elections?
Mike67
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »

Big impact with GOP voters along with supporters of President Trump
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »

None, because the alt-right (as you picture it) doesn't exist in any meaningful numbers
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »

We're likely to see a more insular world, where fear of outsiders builds until Balkanization begins en masse and results in widespread warfare and destitution across much of the world.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »

We're likely to see a more insular world, where fear of outsiders builds until Balkanization begins en masse and results in widespread warfare and destitution across much of the world.

I agree with you and I think eventually the US will split up into a handful of new nations
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »

I agree with you and I think eventually the US will split up into a handful of new nations

This is what I fear personally.

Well if the US does split up into a handful of new nations like the USSR did, 50 new nations is going to be hard to adapt to.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »

Well if the US does split up into a handful of new nations like the USSR did, 50 new nations is going to be hard to adapt to.

I think it would be like the Northeast,South,Midwest,Texas,Rocky Mountains and West Coast etc. Alaska could either join the West Coast or unite with Canada while Hawaii could go out of their own and the same with Puerto Rico and American Samoa.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »

I think it would be like the Northeast,South,Midwest,Texas,Rocky Mountains and West Coast etc. Alaska could either join the West Coast or unite with Canada while Hawaii could go out of their own and the same with Puerto Rico and American Samoa.

Texas will likely absorb much of the South into its country at some point.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »

Yeah I could see Texas swallowing Oklahoma,Arkansas and Louisiana
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

I can see Texas also swallowing Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.
Mike67
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

I can see Texas also swallowing Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Yeah the South would probably be poor finantially in comparison to Texas and would have no problem with that.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »

Texas isn't too financially well off, we are compared to the rest of the South, but it's not by much.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »

We don't know for sure how much influence the alt-right will be on President Trump. Bad idea to turn preconceived notions into certainty with an opaque president-elect who considers the truth relative. More arrogant posters may be sure of everything already but we frankly don't know his true agenda.

But one major factor will be the Democratic nominee. If the Democrats nominate a Clintonite or a SF style social liberal who's less able to attract the WWC it may well empower the alt right even if Trump is unpopular. If the Dems nominate an SJW latte liberal against a president Trump with decent enough approval ratings, and the party doubles down on the sunbelt strategy and driving minority turnout and  throws the poor rural populations of the upper midwest to the wolves, the alt right could truly blossom into a serious political force.

On the other hand a race between an economic populist Democrat who actually visits Wisconsin, who visits the factory towns and asks them if they're better off now than four years ago, vs a Donald Trump with poor approval ratings or a President Pence would marginalize the alt right - right back into the shadows of irrelevancy.
But what if the nom is a Cory Booker or Castro who visits Wisconsin and asks "are you better off now than 4 years ago"
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »

But what if the nom is a Cory Booker or Castro who visits Wisconsin and asks "are you better off now than 4 years ago"

It'll be a deadly combo of both.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies