OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:49:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 58650 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »

Josh Mandel's primary opponent, an independently wealthy businessman by the name of Mike Gibbons, is on the air with a six-figure ad buy attacking ... Senate Republicans?

It's a decent ad, but it looks strange, calling out Senators for, not "repeal[ing] Obamacare and cut[ting] taxes." Mandel isn't in the Senate, and most people don't want the ACA repealed at this point, especially the people who voted for Brown in 2012. Not sure what demo he's going for.
GOP primary voters
But Brown's the incumbent, not Mandel.
Rjjr77
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »

Josh Mandel's primary opponent, an independently wealthy businessman by the name of Mike Gibbons, is on the air with a six-figure ad buy attacking ... Senate Republicans?

It's a decent ad, but it looks strange, calling out Senators for, not "repeal[ing] Obamacare and cut[ting] taxes." Mandel isn't in the Senate, and most people don't want the ACA repealed at this point, especially the people who voted for Brown in 2012. Not sure what demo he's going for.
GOP primary voters
He's running in a republican primary, and as such must appeal to primary voters before he can face the general. Your messaging needs to be directed at things republican primary voters care about, repealing obamacare and cutting taxes. Voters aren't voting for anyone who's ad is "Well my opponent and I believe the same thing and both think Sherrod Brown should go"
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2017, 03:46:30 AM »

GOP primary voters
He's running in a republican primary, and as such must appeal to primary voters before he can face the general. Your messaging needs to be directed at things republican primary voters care about, repealing obamacare and cutting taxes. Voters aren't voting for anyone who's ad is "Well my opponent and I believe the same thing and both think Sherrod Brown should go"

Sure, but he hasn't really contrasted himself with Mandel, either.

I'm, rather obviously, not a Republican operative, and for good reason, but I'd either go after Mandel hard, establish credibility -- which admittedly, I think Gibbons did okay -- or position the candidate as the guy to win the general.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

At this point in time, Brown looks to be in some degree of trouble.

Polls taken around the beginning of July show Sen. Brown down to Mandel 42-50.

Obviously, he has time to turn this around, and he seems to have some enthusiastic backing from grassroots donations, but being so far behind in polls where undecideds can't even save him can't be very good.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »

Obviously, he has time to turn this around, and he seems to have some enthusiastic backing from grassroots donations, but being so far behind in polls where undecideds can't even save him can't be very good.

Junk.

There has been no credible poll of this race yet.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »

I think it's fair to say Brown was in trouble in 2018 no matter what, given how strong the GOP has become in Ohio, but he is a relatively good fit for the state, and Mandel is trying for a rematch.  Also early polling is a bit unreliable, if the current margin (Mandel +8 or so) continues into 2018 I will change the rating of the race, but until then it remains Tossup.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »

I think it's fair to say Brown was in trouble in 2018 no matter what, given how strong the GOP has become in Ohio, but he is a relatively good fit for the state, and Mandel is trying for a rematch.  Also early polling is a bit unreliable, if the current margin (Mandel +8 or so) continues into 2018 I will change the rating of the race, but until then it remains Tossup.

Right now this race is solidly lean D.  ND, IN, MT, MO, and probably WV are all far more vulnerable (not that I expect Republicans to even win the majority of those seats, atm they're looking at picking up MO and maybe IN).  One cycle does not a permanent realignment make.  The idea that Republicans suddenly have a real shot at unseating entrenched incumbents with candidates like Lou Barletta, Kid Rock (LOL), and Josh Mandel in what is likely to be a Democratic wave midterm because "muh 2016" is laughable at best.  We have no real indication yet that 2016 wasn't just a fluke under what – and I think we can all agree on this – were incredibly unique circumstances.  And even if it did mark the beginning of a realignment, Brown, Casey, and Stabenow aren't gonna lose in 2018 (especially not the latter two).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #257 on: August 01, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

Right now this race is solidly lean D.  ND, IN, MT, MO, and probably WV are all far more vulnerable (not that I expect Republicans to even win the majority of those seats, atm they're looking at picking up MO and maybe IN).  One cycle does not a permanent realignment make.  The idea that Republicans suddenly have a real shot at unseating entrenched incumbents with candidates like Lou Barletta, Kid Rock (LOL), and Josh Mandel in what is likely to be a Democratic wave midterm because "muh 2016" is laughable at best.  We have no real indication yet that 2016 wasn't just a fluke under what – and I think we can all agree on this – were incredibly unique circumstances.  And even if it did mark the beginning of a realignment, Brown, Casey, and Stabenow aren't gonna lose in 2018 (especially not the latter two).
But there is a poll showing Kid Rock leading by 9!!!! Surprise
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #258 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »

But there is a poll showing Kid Rock leading by 9!!!! Surprise

Not a credible one Tongue
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

Some obvious bias in this piece, but I really don't think people get how unpopular Josh Mandel is, even with Republicans. He may well be the least popular politician in the state.
Rjjr77
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »

Some obvious bias in this piece, but I really don't think people get how unpopular Josh Mandel is, even with Republicans. He may well be the least popular politician in the state.

I don't think posting Larkin columns should be allowed on here, the guys a polemic.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2017, 01:32:11 PM »

When I think of what Mandel would be like as a Senator I just keep remembering that time Tom Cotton held up the appointment of a woman dying of cancer because she was Obama's friend.  I imagine he'll be a lot like that.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

When I think of what Mandel would be like as a Senator I just keep remembering that time Tom Cotton held up the appointment of a woman dying of cancer because she was Obama's friend.  I imagine he'll be a lot like that.
This.

Fortunately, Ohio isn't Arkansas, and Mandel is running against a strong incumbent he's already lost to once.

From what I've heard of Mandel, he's basically a worse Tom Cotton.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »

This.

Fortunately, Ohio isn't Arkansas, and Mandel is running against a strong incumbent he's already lost to once.

He's sooooooooooo much worse than that, take it from an Ohioan Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

*shrug*

The question is whether or not they dislike his opponents in each round worse.

Also, Larkin's long surpassed his quota of WORST CANDIDATE EVER!!!!!! editorials.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »

*shrug*

The question is whether or not they dislike his opponents in each round worse.

Also, Larkin's long surpassed his quota of WORST CANDIDATE EVER!!!!!! editorials.

Even in 2012, I knew more than a few folks who voted straight-ticket Republican...except in the Senate race where they voted for Brown instead of Mandel (obviously this is anecdotal, but still).  Even folks who disagree with him generally consider him a decent guy (aside from your fire-breathing partisans and whacktivists).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

The immediate past chair of the Richland County GOP voted for Brown.

ION: Gibbons is hiring staff tied to Kasich.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »

I'm feeling really terrible about this race now. I wish Mandel would drop out and Renacci (whose Governor bid isn't going anywhere) switches to this one.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »

Renacci could probably beat Mandel in a primary, but honestly, if Gibbons somehow beats Mandel, he'd do a lot better in the general. Renacci would probably do about the same, if not somewhat worse.
Rjjr77
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »

Renacci could probably beat Mandel in a primary, but honestly, if Gibbons somehow beats Mandel, he'd do a lot better in the general. Renacci would probably do about the same, if not somewhat worse.

Nah mandel would beat Renacci, he's too unknown in the state. Taylor could give him a run, don't know if it would knock him out.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »

Gibbons's advantage seems to be simply that he is not Mandel. He's very closely tied to Kasich, which, after the primary season, seems to be a major DISadvantage (especially in the primaries, but still in the general as well, the GOP base won't be fired up, and it won't do anything with regards to crossover appeal).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2017, 12:07:42 AM »

This.

He's sooooooooooo much worse than that, take it from an Ohioan Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »

"This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

Mandel is so awful that the Columbus Dispatch endorsed Sherrod Brown in 2012 (and not one of those reluctant half-endorsements either IIRC). 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »

Take the source with a grain of salt.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies