What if Johnson and Stein had as much media attention in 2012 as they got in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:56:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Johnson and Stein had as much media attention in 2012 as they got in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Johnson and Stein had as much media attention in 2012 as they got in 2016?  (Read 2021 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2017, 10:33:07 AM by Mr. Morden »

Both Johnson and Stein ran in both ’12 and ’16, and both did markedly better in the latter election than the former one (but still just a few %).  How much of that was due to the unpopularity of Clinton and Trump, and how much was due to the fact that they got more media coverage in 2016?  It’s not that they were being covered every day, but Johnson was getting ~65% name recognition in polls by the end of the 2016 race, which is way higher than he had in 2012.  And that’s because he was getting some media attention, and both Johnson and Stein were actually being included in most of the horserace polls.

So what if Johnson and Stein had been covered as much in 2012 as they were in 2016, and included in most of the 2012 polls?  What would the 2012 result then have been?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:10 PM »

You typo'd the title.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »

They didn't get that much attention in 2016 either, but to answer your question, the reason they got SOME attention (not a lot like you say) was because people were actually looking for alternatives.  That wasn't the case in 2012 obviously.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »

Fixed. Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »

They didn't get that much attention in 2016 either, but to answer your question, the reason they got SOME attention (not a lot like you say) was because people were actually looking for alternatives.  That wasn't the case in 2012 obviously.

Well yes, I know what the reasons are.  But like I said, I think much of it is self-reinforcing.  When people don't know who the third party candidates are, they don't think about voting for them.  But when they actually get enough coverage to be included in polls, then people are willing to entertain the possibility of voting for them.  They got enough coverage in 2016 to be included in virtually every poll from ~May onwards, so the media was talking about them, at least a little.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies