Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:33:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco  (Read 3365 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »

I don't see how either political party will win both of these groups in the long term. Their agendas and priorities are too different. They're only on the same side right now (although suburbanites are clearly moving away) because of their mutual disdain for SJWs.

Matthew 6:24: You will either hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other.

And Cruz is safe, even if only because campaigning in Texas is so expensive that Chuck Schumer would be a fool to campaign there and waste enough money to campaign in 4 or 5 other states in a Likely R state as big as that.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »

I don't see how either political party will win both of these groups in the long term. Their agendas and priorities are too different. They're only on the same side right now (although suburbanites are clearly moving away) because of their mutual disdain for SJWs.

Matthew 6:24: You will either hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other.

And Cruz is safe, even if only because campaigning in Texas is so expensive that Chuck Schumer would be a fool to campaign there and waste enough money to campaign in 4 or 5 other states in a Likely R state as big as that.

If Trump is at 40% and he is still angry at Cruz being a cuck anything can happen. Unless of course Cruz can convince the people we can have an effective discourse with one party.
Dems still wouldn't spend money there. Look how they stayed away from Florida this year even though the race was within 5 points. If they can spend the same amount of money as they'd spend in Texas to compete in 5 other states, they'll do it.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »

If Trump is at 40% and he is still angry at Cruz being a cuck anything can happen. Unless of course Cruz can convince the people we can have an effective discourse with one party.
Dems still wouldn't spend money there. Look how they stayed away from Florida this year even though the race was within 5 points. If they can spend the same amount of money as they'd spend in Texas to compete in 5 other states, they'll do it.

They need a self-funder worth >$100M who can peel off anti-Trump libertarian-type Republicans.  Hence my suggestion of Mark Cuban as the best possible statewide Dem candidate in Texas. 
Cruz is incredibly popular among such Republicans, particularly in Texas. For some reason, most of Rand's support seemed to go to Cruz in the primary when Rand dropped out.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »

They need a self-funder worth >$100M who can peel off anti-Trump libertarian-type Republicans.  Hence my suggestion of Mark Cuban as the best possible statewide Dem candidate in Texas. 
Cruz is incredibly popular among such Republicans, particularly in Texas. For some reason, most of Rand's support seemed to go to Cruz in the primary when Rand dropped out.

Oops, misread.  I thought we were assuming Cruz loses the primary to a stronger Trump supporter.  If Cruz makes it out of the primary, the optimal Dem candidate is an outsider who can peel off Trump supporters.  If Cruz loses the primary or takes an appointment of some kind, the optimal Dem candidate is anti-Trump with a libertarian side.
I see; that makes sense. In a state like Texas, I'd say the only at it works is if somehow Cruz is not the nominee and you can get a self-funding and already-well-known candidate like Cuban in there (if he even would run as a Democrat), and even then, it's Texas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies