Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:07:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Can Republicans Simultaneously Win Suburbanites and the Working Class with Marco  (Read 3354 times)
This Has Only Just Begun
Crimson King
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 04:47:03 AM »

I just kind of thought of this, but why on Earth are we acting like a TON of suburbs aren't working class?  There are going to be differences, of course (e.g., some rich suburb of NYC), but I'm willing to bet that the majority of suburbs that have trended Democratic have also become a lot more diverse and, YES, more economically diverse, too.

Yeah really.

I mean, people generally move out to the suburbs to escape the city.  That doesn't necessarily mean everyone who lives there is middle class white.  Plenty of suburbs have a decent (at least 10% or so) minority population and plenty of older housing (many of these places originally started out as small towns way back when) that while not as cheap as inner cities is still pretty affordable if you know where to look.

I think things like that are what people on these sorts of websites miss.  I think a lot of people on here are either high schoolers living with their parents or young adults who prefer living in urban environments (which more power to them, I have absolutely nothing against living in a city) so it's harder to understand the mentality of someone, whether they be liberal or conservative, Democratic or Republican, who prefer to live in smaller towns.  Of course a lot of suburbs are inconvenient as frack and built largely to cater to middle-upper class white people so the antipathy is understandable.  Finding a good suburb is hard to do but if you do find yourself in one of those places (especially if it is a college/university town) it is mad great.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

If that's the case, I wonder how we would find the economic data to understand the nuances of economic diversification and what x and y county really qualifies as. Doesn't each county have a listing of major employers and what not listed somewhere?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »

If that's the case, I wonder how we would find the economic data to understand the nuances of economic diversification and what x and y county really qualifies as. Doesn't each county have a listing of major employers and what not listed somewhere?

If so, this would be a good Atlas project to identify each county in a Google fusion map document by economic status and major employer and so on.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »

I could see Marco pulling this off at best:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) - 207 EV
Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)/Governor John Kasich (R-OH) - 331 EV

Marco Rubio wins the popular vote as Clinton scores under Obama's 08-12 margins in California, Arizona, Florida, Texas, etc., however Clinton holds onto the Great Lakes with low turnout. Pennsylvania was sliding to swing state status by the time 2016 rolled around and Rubio carries New Jersey by the slimmest of margins. Rubio would appeal much more to Latino voters and cause them to turn out in largely Hispanic states, similarly to African-Americans in Obama's first election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies