a thread for ranting about minor annoyances
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  a thread for ranting about minor annoyances
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: a thread for ranting about minor annoyances  (Read 5899 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »

Ok now I know Jedi is just yanking my chain Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

It's amazing. I'm sure he'd embrace these deplorables if only they'd had the sense to vote for a proper neoliberal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

Someone at work said my unborn daughter "is not a baby yet" Angry

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »

People that wear sweats or otherwise look entirely un-maintained. The fatter, the worse.

EDIT: Also, "snacks". Like, eat real food, dude. Empty calories. Am I referring to a particular housemate? Perhaps.

EDIT2: People who don't read. Like, c'mon.

Someone at work said my unborn daughter "is not a baby yet" Angry

Angry
lol you just described me Wink
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2017, 08:07:28 AM »

People that think that they know better about my abilities and emotions than I do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »

People who rant about minor annoyances.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2017, 05:57:27 PM by modern maverick »

Nice men's clothing is way too expensive, especially since I'm not interested in pursuing the generic black business suit aesthetic. I was in a store earlier today with these lovely brown, or navy, or tweed jackets, and light blue, or lavender, or checkered dress shirts, and everything was hundreds of dollars. It's ridiculous. I'd also like to own brogues but I have very wide feet and it's hard to find nice shoes in wide sizes. I've heard a certain online retailer has something along those lines but I've also heard they're ugly and cost way more than they're worth. I can believe it because one of my friends has a bikini from this site and it cost her some ridiculous amount.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »

Having to be around other people for too long. It gets to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »

Having to be around other people for too long. It gets to me.

I know where you're coming from (and I've been there before), but you learn to appreciate it after spending weeks barely ever getting out of home.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2017, 01:13:03 AM »

Apparently a Professor who holds his class 6-9 finds it reasonable to keep his students in more than 40 minutes past that. What. The. F**k.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »

Apparently a Professor who holds his class 6-9 finds it reasonable to keep his students in more than 40 minutes past that. What. The. F**k.

No excuse for that. I would give my evening 3 hour classes a choice between a 15-20 minute break in the middle with a normal end, or a 5 minute break in the middle with an early end.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »

I am a firm disciple of what a man in the Carribean told me a long time ago when I was on vacation as a kid:

"Care-ih-BEE-in" refers to the actual sea/region.  It is used in the same context as America.

"Cuh-RIH-bee-in" refers to the fact that someone is from the region.  It is used in the same context as American.

Recently having returned from vacation there, my irrational annoyance with people pronouncing it the second way (after I have started the conversation off using the first pronunciation, effectively correcting me) is at a yearly high, haha.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

No excuse for that. I would give my evening 3 hour classes a choice between a 15-20 minute break in the middle with a normal end, or a 5 minute break in the middle with an early end.

Once, I had a 6:10-8:40 once a week class, but the professor barely ever kept us past 7:30.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »

Once, I had a 6:10-8:40 once a week class, but the professor barely ever kept us past 7:30.

this is far more common as to be mundane
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

this is far more common as to be mundane

One would hope, yeah!

I don't ask to be left out early, just respect the damn schedule for crying out loud. I'm already there continuously from 12:30 to 9 on Tuesdays...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »

Video games- why?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:11 AM »

why not, they are great
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2017, 01:26:53 AM »

You're the one who says reality doesn't matter. If it doesn't, why not live in an alternate one? Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »

You're the one who says reality doesn't matter. If it doesn't, why not live in an alternate one? Tongue
You still get emotionally invested in that, though. I've seen my brother almost smash a guitar hero controller because he lost Tongue.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

I broke at least two Wii Nunchuks playing Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »

Almost made a new thread, but I remembered this existed and I had promised to use it liberally!

Am I the only one who fails to understand this "Gifted KidTM and Now..." discourse? I tried to find the origin on the Twitter. The 'meme' has been around for at least five years and consistently creeping back much to my general annoyance/rage. At least more unbearable memes have a shelf life. I tried to find data to back up anything they are saying, but prominent sources say this is mostly untested and where it is estimated, it is not all that significant. I have literally no idea what point these people are trying to make. And from what I can tell, this phenomenon is even worse on the Tumblr.

Why are so many people on Twitter/Tumblr former Gifted KidsTM and why are they so focused on the person they were at age 8? There is no way this is an accurate reflection of either the general population or any definable subset of it. I really just don't understand how this is relatable or funny. It just sounds like a humble-brag about being talented but actively choosing to be stupid instead. Why is this cool?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2020, 04:24:31 AM »

Almost made a new thread, but I remembered this existed and I had promised to use it liberally!

Am I the only one who fails to understand this "Gifted KidTM and Now..." discourse? I tried to find the origin on the Twitter. The 'meme' has been around for at least five years and consistently creeping back much to my general annoyance/rage. At least more unbearable memes have a shelf life. I tried to find data to back up anything they are saying, but prominent sources say this is mostly untested and where it is estimated, it is not all that significant. I have literally no idea what point these people are trying to make. And from what I can tell, this phenomenon is even worse on the Tumblr.

Why are so many people on Twitter/Tumblr former Gifted KidsTM and why are they so focused on the person they were at age 8? There is no way this is an accurate reflection of either the general population or any definable subset of it. I really just don't understand how this is relatable or funny. It just sounds like a humble-brag about being talented but actively choosing to be stupid instead. Why is this cool?
As a former Gifted KidTM it's not that simple. If you get singled out as "smart" early on that ends up setting unreasonably high expectations for a little kid.

Speaking from my experience, I started out pretty smart. Taught myself to read, preschool teacher said "that kid is gonna be valedictorian someday", could name all the countries of the world (and presidents of the United States) by like 6 or 7. Now all through elementary school everything came easy to me, I never had to put any effort into anything. Once I hit middle school that changed as my personality also changed from very confident to not-so-much. So never being taught not to take things for granted (at least academic-wise) really screwed me over there. And it's something I still struggle with a lot. I usually give up way too quickly now even, if it doesn't come easily to me.

The number of times someone told me "you're so smart, you just don't apply yourself enough" is, well, a lot. Is that my fault? Not really. Those things need to be instilled from a young age. If I had been challenged more as a kid I would have gotten used to that. And it's something I've seen happen so many times.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 05:39:14 PM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

Minor annoyance, people who don't use their turn signals. Is there a religion that forbids this or something?

More major, telemarketing scams. Yeah, I know. That's about as edgy as being anti child abuse. But they suck. The one area of non-criminal Defense work I actively do is suing a number of telemarketers, which seemed to be inordinately based in Southern Florida, for tcpa violations.

A little earlier I received a recorded Robo message. We've all probably heard it or heard of it before where some automated voice says they are from the Social Security Administration that there is a warrant out for your arrest you have a chance to resolve this by calling back this number otherwise the cops and the media will be involved - - their words. Also your Social Security benefits will be cut off if you do not contact their office at such-and-such number immediately. Out of morbid interest I actually called the number and an Indian or Pakistani woman picked up identifying herself as being from the Social Security Administration. Yeah, right. I actually played a long and claimed I was very frightened and upset by this warrant I hadn't done anything wrong gave her a fake name and a fake date of birth and then when she asked my Social Security, I think I said "Um, my number is.... where do you get off trying to she's scared old people out of their money you nasty little con artist!! How do you live with yourself!?!" I admittedly added several Choice four-letter words, because these people are literal criminals and are scum of the Earth.

I actually felt good enough about having done that, I called back the number several times and got several other telemarketers whom I did the same with, before totally unloading on them for being such Shameless and amoral Predators on the elderly. No, I'm sorry, these aren't just people who happen to work a sh**ty retail job and don't deserve the honor of someone demanding to see the manager. They're all identifying themselves as being from the Social Security Administration in trying to get people calling to work a sh**ty retail job and don't deserve the honor of someone demanding to see the manager ( I have nothing but Sympathy For Those poor Toys R Us employees whom Meczclaine Leafly allowed his kids to create a mess all over the store for them to clean up because he was dissatisfied with their service). These scammers all identifying themselves as being from the Social Security Administration from some call center in Mumbai and trained to get the social security number for people who are calling up about arrest warrants. The chances of these people at the phone not knowing it's a criminal scam is Slim to nil. F*** them!

With a burst of adrenaline and righteous Zeal, I hoped to interfere in their daily efforts to con poor old seniors scared by a robocall out of their life savings. I called back several times, and thereby hopefully kept them from answering other calls even for a few minutes. I even got a call back from a separate number from a another Indian woman identifying herself as an agent, yes agent, of the Social Security Administration. Same result. Called back a bunch of times before they just let it ruin to voicemail or quit answering, or would hang up immediately when I came up apparently on caller ID. If it's f*** with their pernicious and vicious little con game even for a few minutes, I feel good about it.

Upon quitting and coming back down, I realized with a quick Google search that my phone number does lead to my identity reasonably easily, so I hope they don't have a computer hacker as part of their crew. Tongue My administrative assistant at work had her computer catch a serious virus that sent out an email with a purported linked document as part of a phishing attempt to everyone in her contact book. Even after we took care of that we had to have our it contractor work on the thing all afternoon to get it back up. If they do have a hacker in their little gang, hopefully they aren't too terribly upset over me calling them sons of whores. and much worse. Grin
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2020, 04:25:45 AM »

These may have already been mentioned, but:

1. People who walk on the wrong side of the pathway.

2. People who randomly stop in the middle of pathways.

3. Groups/Families that walk in the middle of pathways and leave no space for others overtaking.

Like far out it’s not that hard to show a little spacial awareness!
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2020, 04:41:52 AM »

Drawing from what Sprout is saying here, “Humble braggers” in general are profoundly annoying people. Like sorry I know what you’re doing you showpony you’re not getting the benefit of the doubt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies