New SurveyUSA Governors approval polls - July (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New SurveyUSA Governors approval polls - July (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New SurveyUSA Governors approval polls - July  (Read 5740 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: July 12, 2005, 09:02:49 PM »

A continuation in July of SurveyUSA's May and June Governor approval polls, among 600 adults from each state's population.

The Vorlon's the one who can tell you what all that means.  Smiley

Not many changes that really stand out to me in terms of a trendline between the three months, except for Tim Pawlenty's steady slide in approval in Minnesota from 54%-38% in May to 43%-50% in July and I'd still want another month of stability at these numbers or further downward movement to make sure of this motion.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50StateGovTrackingJuly2005.htm

For all the curious people out there who can't wait to click on the link:

Jodi Rell (R-CT) is now tied as the top-rated governor with Mike Rounds (R-SD) at 73% approval, 18% disapproval.

The two highest-rated Democrats are Joe Manchin (WV) and Mark Warner (VA) with 65% approval, 25% disapproval and 63% approval, 25% approval, respectively.

The bottom governor is still Bob Taft (R-OH) with 17% approval, 76% disapproval.

The lowest-rated Democrat governor is Jennifer Granholm, with 37% approval and 59% disapproval.

Seven governors ratings stayed the same from June to July.  They are:

Mike Huckabee (R-AR) - 56% approve, 38% disapprove
Robert Ehrlich (R-MD) - 48% approve, 45% disapprove
Ed Rendell (D-PA) - 44% approve, 49% disapprove
Ruth Ann Minner (D-DE) - 43% approve, 49% disapprove
Ted Kulongoski (D-OR) - 38% approve, 50% disapprove
Rod Blagojevich (D-IL) - 38% approve, 55% disapprove
Matt Blunt (R-MO) - 35% approve, 61% disapprove
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »

The poll has a breakdown by people's views of abortion.

The breakdown isn't really what's interesting (at least to me), but it basically includes a poll of whether people are pro-choice or pro-life.

I even made a map...

Que? 

Texas is not a pro-choice state, that part of the map is certainly wrong.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 05:23:08 PM »

The poll has a breakdown by people's views of abortion.

The breakdown isn't really what's interesting (at least to me), but it basically includes a poll of whether people are pro-choice or pro-life.

I even made a map...

Que? 

Texas is not a pro-choice state, that part of the map is certainly wrong.

What proof of that do you have? There are a few states I'm not sure about (Texas and West Virignia), but I haven't seen any polls that indicate the opposite.

It's not like 100% of Republicans are pro-life. Abortion is not the deciding factor for many people when they vote GOP (and ends up being a pro-life government).

Easy.  Knowledge of the population.  I have lived and visited in all parts of Texas with all different kinds of people.  The only place where pro-choice is supported more than pro-life is in Austin and the city centers of Dallas and Houston and the inner suburbs (not the large and growing suburbs and exurbs).

First, the Hispanics in Texas are not pro-choice in temperament.  At least 40% of them are Protestant evangelicals (meaning most are pro-life), a certain percentage more are Catholics (and a good number of those are pro-life).  I would say the white population divides in half between pro-life and pro-choice, perhaps leaning ever so slightly to the pro-life side, extremely pro-life in rural and suburban areas, though nowadays they vote (70%-30% Republican).  The black population probably leans slightly towards pro-choice, but they are not very large in influence any more.

Third, look at the religious maps of the state.  Texas is perhaps the most church-going state in the union, maybe second to North Dakota.  West Virginia is not a church-going state, so attitudes there may be different.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies