If the source, should Rove be jailed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:57:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If the source, should Rove be jailed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: If Rove is the WH source in the Plame case, should he go to jail?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: If the source, should Rove be jailed?  (Read 4410 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2005, 05:08:25 PM »

?
Angel of Death
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »

What if he makes a deal testifying against higher-ups in return for immunity? I mean, how did Rove end up with this info in the first place?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »

I'm not familiar enough with the relevant statutes to say, but I am confident that if there is reason to investigate criminal activity it will be investigated, if there is reason to prosecute, then charges will be filed, if there is reason to imprison, he will be imprisoned, and if this is much ado about nothing then let it go.

We have a justice system for a reason, and the truth will come out.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:16:57 PM »

What a non-issue. Even the prosecutor says Rove is not a target.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 09:12:13 PM »

If convicted he should be treated like any other traitor.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:24:05 PM »

If convicted he should be treated like any other traitor.
Like Alger Hiss?  Oddly enough, I don't think the New York Times will idolize him.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:08:05 PM »

People, you can't be put in jail for saying someone's wife works for the CIA....get a grip.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 10:09:30 PM »

People, you can't be put in jail for saying someone's wife works for the CIA....get a grip.
had this been Clinton's right-hand man the reps. would want him sent to the gallows
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 10:12:02 PM »

had this been Clinton's right-hand man the reps. would want him sent to the gallows
^^^^^
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:14:01 PM »

Um, for saying someone's wife works for the CIA? No.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 10:21:16 PM »

True dat
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 10:31:11 PM »

It goes both ways. Politics as usual. So I guess you have a point.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 10:33:11 PM »

Do you realize what the purpose of having agents undercover is?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:57 PM »

Thing is, even if Rove outed her, the way the law is written the prosecutor will also have to prove that he knew she was an undercover agent as opposed to an open agent.  That likely will prove to be a steep hurdle to climb even if he did it.

Besides, given that she was married to a high-level US diplomat, if I were running a foreign counterintelligence service, I'd be looking real close at any of my nationals she was spending significant time with anyway.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 11:00:31 PM »

Just as an observation, my own reading of the matter says, and I will be quite honest that I have not read everything concerning the actual laws that deal with this case, is that a case such as the one being presented here against Rove is extremely hard to prove, as the legal standards for such a case are extremely high.  In other words, as of yet there's a lot of smoke, but no fire.  I'll list a couple of the reasons below.

First, you have to prove malicious intent.  In other words was Karl Rove, when mentioning that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA or was an undercover agent, doing this with an intent to out her name for political purposes, such as to get back at Joe Wilson.

Second, and this is an aspect that is not clear when you read various articles, was the fact that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA an unknown secret?  Or was the fact that Valerie Plame was a secret undercover agent working for the CIA an unknown secret?  These are two very different facts and we must not confuse the two when reading possible commentaries.

My bet, more likely than not, is that the chief prosecutor is trying to get one of the reporters or one of the sources in this case (and yes, I do believe there is more than one) on the charge of perjury, for having given false testimony under oath, or on the charge of obstruction of justice.

For those of you who are sharp readers, I hope you notice the apparent similarities with some past cases.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 11:01:18 PM »

Thing is, even if Rove outed her, the way the law is written the prosecutor will also have to prove that he knew she was an undercover agent as opposed to an open agent.  That likely will prove to be a steep hurdle to climb even if he did it.

Besides, given that she was married to a high-level US diplomat, if I were running a foreign counterintelligence service, I'd be looking real close at any of my nationals she was spending significant time with anyway.

Sort of what I was saying.  Sorry I missed your post.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 11:17:25 PM »

Um, for saying someone's wife works for the CIA?
yes
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 11:21:54 PM »

Point out the illegal part about pointing out an occupation again.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 11:25:57 PM »

well, generally CIA agents are undercover for a reason. they arent the most popular people in the world, especially to criminals anterrorists. revealing the name of this person, especially in anger over her husbands anti-war beliefs, is like putting a target on her back.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 11:27:23 PM »

If it was common knowledge that she was a covert agent, this meaning Rove would know about it, wouldn't her cover already be blown?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 11:30:26 PM »

Going to quote this again, because it's the key point here.

If Rove said that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA, this is not illegal, especially if its "common knowledge", which it seems to have been.  Quite frankly, if Rove said that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA as an agent, it would still not be illegal.  Only if Rove said that Valerie Plame worked as an undercover agent for the CIA could that be illegal, and it would have to be shown to be given under malicious intent.  This is quite hard to prove in court, but it is the standard necessary under law.

Like I said before, my best guess is that the prosecutor is trying to get either one of the reporters or one of the sources under perjury for testimony given to the grand jury or under obstruction of justice.  It's the most obvious answer to the issues raised above by Ernest.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 11:30:45 PM »

If it was common knowledge that she was a covert agent, this meaning Rove would know about it, wouldn't her cover already be blown?
well, Rove kind of with the 'in' crowd. plus Rove isnt a terrorist. Most of the time anyway. Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 11:34:59 PM »

well, generally CIA agents are undercover for a reason. they arent the most popular people in the world, especially to criminals anterrorists. revealing the name of this person, especially in anger over her husbands anti-war beliefs, is like putting a target on her back.

not to mention this jepordizes basically every operation they've ever been on. All foreign governments they've had contact with now know tha was a CIA agent, could get quite messy.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 11:36:12 PM »

not to mention this jepordizes basically every operation they've ever been on. All foreign governments they've had contact with now know tha was a CIA agent, could get quite messy.
indeed
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 11:57:02 PM »

Do you realize what the purpose of having agents undercover is?

Yes I do.  But you've been watching WAY TOO MUCH tv if you think simply stating someone works for the CIA is a crime in the United States.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies