The Search for the next Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:27:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Search for the next Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Will we find the one?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 141

Author Topic: The Search for the next Obama  (Read 10004 times)
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »

The Democratic party should not be looking for the next Obama. They should be looking for an authentic candidate that fits the voter's values the best without pandering to corporations. The new candidate should also be in touch with the younger community, which is where the party's strength lies, and should NOT alienate whole swaths of the United States.

Another Obama is not needed. What is needed, is another good candidate who is connected with the people.

Her name is AOC.

AOC is wayyyy too polarizing to be the next Obama. She has hardly any appeal outside of major cities and young people. I like a lot of what she fights for, but her messaging can be godawful at times. She is good at garnering media coverage, but she's just too hated and extreme
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »

The Democratic party should not be looking for the next Obama. They should be looking for an authentic candidate that fits the voter's values the best without pandering to corporations. The new candidate should also be in touch with the younger community, which is where the party's strength lies, and should NOT alienate whole swaths of the United States.

Another Obama is not needed. What is needed, is another good candidate who is connected with the people.

Her name is AOC.

AOC is wayyyy too polarizing to be the next Obama. She has hardly any appeal outside of major cities and young people. I like a lot of what she fights for, but her messaging can be godawful at times. She is good at garnering media coverage, but she's just too hated and extreme

That assumes the electorate and the American political landscape will be identical in 20 years.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:02 PM »

Her name is AOC.

That assumes the electorate and the American political landscape will be identical in 20 years.

Narrator: "It won't."
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »

Her name is AOC.

Definately, there optimal canidate depends upon the time. Obama was the right fit for the moment, and the right person for the moment in the future is unknowable because we don't know what the future will bring.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »

Any search for the "next Obama" is an exercise in futility, except in the sense that Obama was the "next Bill Clinton." The next Democratic figure to achieve Obama or Clinton levels of admiration will not resemble Obama or Clinton much in terms of personality, mannerisms, or other such external traits.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »

Beto probably best fit this bill however democrats should look for the next LBJ instead of Obama
Red Wall

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »

I already posted on a similar thread but the search for a next Obama (or a next Reagan as many Republicans tried for years) is worthless. Presidential candidates assemble different electoral coalitions over time, winners or losers. Because both had electorally efficient coallitions, their parties supporters look for the next version of them, when at the end you can't copy the results of a past president onto a different candidate.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »

It's nuts to me that Harris hasn't been mentioned in the post-2020 portion of this thread. Proves how out of touch with reality this board is, with the ridiculous notion that she is electorally weak. Harris is unarguably the next Obama.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2020, 11:15:39 AM by Da2017 »

It's nuts to me that Harris hasn't been mentioned in the post-2020 portion of this thread. Proves how out of touch with reality this board is, with the ridiculous notion that she is electorally weak. Harris is unarguably the next Obama.

I don't think she is the next Obama,but she is not a weak candidate. This forum and online has an irritional hate for her,which does not seem to translate to real life.I know her primary campaign. Look at Biden in 88 and 08.
Motorcity

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2020, 02:38:11 PM »

As someone who does not like Harris, I will admit the hatred is somewhat away from the real world

But she is not the next Obama. Obama went to stardom the moment he gave the keynote at the 2004 DNC. The NYT and Time magazine was calling him a major candidate the moment Kerry lost, despite him not even being sworn in as a senator.

Harris entire primary campaign flopped. She didn't even bother to stay until Iowa. She is seen as a California liberal with ties to silicon valley. Plus she is a women of color. There is no evidence of her being an electoral juggurnut like Obama was.

Remember, before George Flyode was killed she was best known as "Kamala the Kop" and wasn't popular with African Americans.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »

Kamala is neither charismatic like Obama nor does she come across authentic which I think is gonna be her biggest problem. I don't even think Kamala comes close to Obama as an orator.
Maybe she has time to improve in next 4 years but right now, I am pretty bearish on Kamala
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2020, 03:36:10 AM »

I don't find this to be a ridiculous notion. Just look at how she did in the presidential primaries, especially considering the fact that she was polling in second or third around May 2019.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »

Her name is AOC.

I was thinking shorter term, but I still don't see her becoming significantly less polarizing. In 20 years Republicans will have ran a scorched earth campaign against her for 22 years.... Don't really know any amount of political talent that can withstand such a long term battering
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2020, 04:30:42 PM »

I don't find this to be a ridiculous notion. Just look at how she did in the presidential primaries, especially considering the fact that she was polling in second or third around May 2019.

I'm not sold on her myself but isn't this more just an issue of other candidates being far stronger? You can be the "least strong" candidate in one election and perform just fine in another one. Furthermore, she'll have served as the VP (or perhaps even be the President if she succeeds Biden), which is very different than being one of many Senators in a crowded field. We saw how Biden himself benefited from being Obama's VP in this election.

Not saying that this will definitely happen but it's a bit strange to immediately write her off as "weak" for a general Presidential election just because her state and primary election record weren't so hot, especially when she garnered some pretty strong enthusiasm over the past few months. They're not similar electorates.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »

What does people think about Beto and Buttigieg?

They certainly have the charm.

What either of them need is an inroad with black voters.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2020, 04:57:08 PM »

'Inspirational' and 'middle of the road' are two concepts on a divergent path. Good riddance. Moderates should be as dull as their politics.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »

'Inspirational' and 'middle of the road' are two concepts on a divergent path. Good riddance. Moderates should be as dull as their politics.

This is not true at all.

Being charismatic has nothing to do with being a left wing or right wing nutjob.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2020, 04:58:40 PM by Arachno-Statism »

It's like the 1960s-1980s search for the next Kennedy. You'll never find him. You'll never get his exact campaign, coalition, and circumstances back. Why would you want to? "Hope" and "change" got us Trump. It didn't end Bush's wars or fix the fundamental problems of Reagan's economy. Take off the rose-tinted glasses, millennials. You're not kids anymore and you're not up against an out-of-touch GOP anymore. You're bleeding voters as is. Move on or lose.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »

The next Obama has probably been cancelled already.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2020, 07:13:03 PM »

We need a 21st Century FDR, not another Obama.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »

No, just like there won't be another Reagan or Kennedy. You only get an iconic/consequential POTUS every 30 years or so.
Motorcity

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »

No, just like there won't be another Reagan or Kennedy. You only get an iconic/consequential POTUS every 30 years or so.
So, why havent we had a consequential president yet?

20 years after FDR, we got LBJ, 20 years later we got Reagan.

Yet no president since than has caused immense change
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2020, 02:41:00 PM »

Trump, lol
Motorcity

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »

Trump, lol
Long term, what has he done differently than Bush or Obama that cant be reverse? Other than embarrass the country
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »

Trump, lol

Trump was not more consequential than Obama lol. Supreme Court justices are his main achievement and that's pretty indirect. He largely failed legislatively.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies