2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:01:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 150951 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 12, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »

So, the Crawford County Democratic Party held a picnic and invited a bunch of Dems, from local to state level. Josh Svaty and Carl Brewer were invited to speak as gubernatorial candidates, and Jim Ward was invited as minority leader. However, according to my friends who were at the event, Ward got up and gave a gubernatorial speech. So, odds are he's in.

Sorry, what state?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:43:25 AM »

With the 2017 election over, it's time to look to the 2018 governor's race in CT.  This is the list of who I hear will be running. 

Democrats:

Dan Drew, Mayor of Middletown, CT
Jacey Wyatt, businesswoman
Joe Ganim, Mayor of Bridgeport, CT (still unconfirmed; he was trying to get public financing, but because Ganim's a former felon, state ruled he can't get it)
Susan Bysiewicz, former CT Secretary of the State (potential; I don't think she's going to run)

On the Democratic side, Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman has declined to run, as have US Congressmen Jim Himes and Joe Courtney.  US Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty will not be running either.  State AG George Jepsen, Ted Kennedy Jr., and State Comptroller Kevin Lembo have also declined to run. 

Republicans:

Tim Herbst, former First Selectman of Trumbull, CT
David Walker, former US Comptroller General
Mike Handler, Director of Administration in Stamford, CT
Mike Lauretti, Mayor of Shelton, CT
Joe Visconti, former councilman of West Hartford, CT (and perennial Independent candidate)
Peter Lumaj, Mayor of Greenwich, CT (potential; probably won't, as he just won re-election)
John McKinney, former State Senate Minority Leader
Tony Hwang, State Representative (potential; my sources tell me he is looking at running for Congress, and so won't run for governor)
Erin Stewart, Mayor of New Britain, CT (potential)
Four more minor candidates

As far as Republicans are concerned, State Senate Republican President Pro Tempore Len Fasano has declined to run, as has former State Senator Rob Kane.  State Senator Joe Markley will be running for Lt. Governor, and thus has also declined to run. 

As you can see, the race is wide open right now. 

So it sounds like the real Dem Primary race is between Drew and Wyatt? Or is Wyatt just "some guy" (or gal, rather)?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »

Oh come on, dude. You're like, one of the few southern Republican senators who doesn't completely suck. Leave fellow conservative JBE alone and stay where you're at.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:59 PM »

Once again, Republican primary voters are hating on congresscritters - Diane Black is doing so poorly in this primary right now.

Best Tenn political news of the year. Lee is Uber-conservative, and scary to me, but Black is just an icky $wamp creature. So glad she lost!

Great to see you posting again, tcash! Cheesy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »

2019 Ratings

Louisiana - Lean D: Bel Edwards should win rather easily here, given his popularity, but after the shellacking that Democrats experienced in red states this year despite having a great night nationally, I don't feel comfortable rating this any more optimistically for Dems. Subject to move quickly in either direction based on Republican opposition, Trump popularity, the economy, etc.

Kentucky - Toss-Up: Bevin's approval ratings are terrible, and Democrats have a top tier recruit in Beshear, but again, I'm hesitant to be any more optimistic for the Dems than toss-up given how they've been performing in red states lately. The race should certainly remain competitive though, and if I had to choose, I'd give Beshear the slight edge, assuming Bevin does not go down in a primary.

Mississippi - Lean R: Jim Hood is immensely popular and has easily won reelection as AG several times - but, he's still a Democrat, and I could imagine MS voters being less willing to break party ranks in a Governor's race than a race for a lower office. Reeves seems likely to run, and I'd give him the upper hand for sure, but in no way should this race be discounted.

In summary - the stars are aligned in the Democrats' favor in all three of these races, and they should be able to win all of them. However, due to recent performance in states like these, it would not shock me if they were to win none of them.

Thoughts?

Has Hood indicated he's actually running for governor this time?

If not, how many elections has this been were Democrats Pine away for him to run thinking he is there golden ticket to finally narrowly retaking the governor's mansion, only to have Hood choose job security over a nominal promotion?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies