2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:30:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 150686 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: December 02, 2018, 02:39:18 PM »

2019 Ratings

Louisiana - Lean D: Bel Edwards should win rather easily here, given his popularity, but after the shellacking that Democrats experienced in red states this year despite having a great night nationally, I don't feel comfortable rating this any more optimistically for Dems. Subject to move quickly in either direction based on Republican opposition, Trump popularity, the economy, etc.

Kentucky - Toss-Up: Bevin's approval ratings are terrible, and Democrats have a top tier recruit in Beshear, but again, I'm hesitant to be any more optimistic for the Dems than toss-up given how they've been performing in red states lately. The race should certainly remain competitive though, and if I had to choose, I'd give Beshear the slight edge, assuming Bevin does not go down in a primary.

Mississippi - Lean R: Jim Hood is immensely popular and has easily won reelection as AG several times - but, he's still a Democrat, and I could imagine MS voters being less willing to break party ranks in a Governor's race than a race for a lower office. Reeves seems likely to run, and I'd give him the upper hand for sure, but in no way should this race be discounted.

In summary - the stars are aligned in the Democrats' favor in all three of these races, and they should be able to win all of them. However, due to recent performance in states like these, it would not shock me if they were to win none of them.

Thoughts?

Democrats will lose in both Kentucky and Mississippi next year, and I think Louisiana can go either way. Edwards is in serious jeopardy if Kennedy runs.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #501 on: December 02, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »

2019 Ratings

Louisiana - Lean D: Bel Edwards should win rather easily here, given his popularity, but after the shellacking that Democrats experienced in red states this year despite having a great night nationally, I don't feel comfortable rating this any more optimistically for Dems. Subject to move quickly in either direction based on Republican opposition, Trump popularity, the economy, etc.

Kentucky - Toss-Up: Bevin's approval ratings are terrible, and Democrats have a top tier recruit in Beshear, but again, I'm hesitant to be any more optimistic for the Dems than toss-up given how they've been performing in red states lately. The race should certainly remain competitive though, and if I had to choose, I'd give Beshear the slight edge, assuming Bevin does not go down in a primary.

Mississippi - Lean R: Jim Hood is immensely popular and has easily won reelection as AG several times - but, he's still a Democrat, and I could imagine MS voters being less willing to break party ranks in a Governor's race than a race for a lower office. Reeves seems likely to run, and I'd give him the upper hand for sure, but in no way should this race be discounted.

In summary - the stars are aligned in the Democrats' favor in all three of these races, and they should be able to win all of them. However, due to recent performance in states like these, it would not shock me if they were to win none of them.

Thoughts?

Democrats will lose in both Kentucky and Mississippi next year, and I think Louisiana can go either way. Edwards is in serious jeopardy if Kennedy runs.
I really wouldn't discount Hood. He is much more popular than Reeves.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #502 on: December 02, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

*rolls eyes*
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #503 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »

YES
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #504 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:40 AM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

You shouldnt make declarations about how a race will go before we have even gotten a poll.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #505 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

You shouldnt make declarations about how a race will go before we have even gotten a poll.

Who says so? You? I've basing my predictions, in part, off this year's election results, along with the long-term polarization trends that we are seeing. And Edwards's chances in Louisiana have improved now that Kennedy is officially out, but I still think that race is a tossup. A Republican sweep of all three states next year would not surprise me.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #506 on: December 04, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

This isn't necessarily true. Polls didn't do Heller and Bredesen (among many, many others) much good when they conflicted heavily with the fundamentals.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #507 on: December 04, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »

Tilt D
P-LA JBE
Tossup
T-KY M.Bevin
Tilt R
T-MS Reeves
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #508 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »

I see we're probably going to go through "toss-up Kentucky" mania again, only for Bevin to win re-election again. Mississippi will be more competitive.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #509 on: December 04, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »

I see we're probably going to go through "toss-up Kentucky" mania again, only for Bevin to win re-election again. Mississippi will be more competitive.

Reeves is gonna win, the GOP state assembly overrode a funding bill for schools, a pet project of Beshear, that Bevin vetoed. The school funding bill benefitted Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #510 on: December 04, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »

Indeed, Atlas never learns. It's going to be TN-Sen 2018/OK-Gov 2018 redux. I have a new sig for the occasion.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: December 04, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

This isn't necessarily true. Polls didn't do Heller and Bredesen (among many, many others) much good when they conflicted heavily with the fundamentals.

True, we can call races like AL and CO, based on many factors. But the 2019 Guber races arent the place to do so. For all we know, Ds win all three, or lose all three. I would rather wait for polling and whatnot before making a declaration about the three governorships.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #512 on: December 04, 2018, 05:50:17 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

Who says so? You? I've basing my predictions, in part, off this year's election results, along with the long-term polarization trends that we are seeing. And Edwards's chances in Louisiana have improved now that Kennedy is officially out, but I still think that race is a tossup. A Republican sweep of all three states next year would not surprise me.

Thats not a good reason to call these races so early, especially with other factors going in. LA has an incumbent D facing a likely weak R, and is popular. MS has the popular AG. KY has one of the most unpopular R governors in the USA. Polarization did occur in 2018, but you are missing out on key factors such as popularity, the region, among others. A D sweep of all three states next year would not surprise me, as would an R sweep.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #513 on: December 04, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

Thats not a good reason to call these races so early, especially with other factors going in. LA has an incumbent D facing a likely weak R, and is popular. MS has the popular AG. KY has one of the most unpopular R governors in the USA. Polarization did occur in 2018, but you are missing out on key factors such as popularity, the region, among others. A D sweep of all three states next year would not surprise me, as would an R sweep.
This guy predicted Hyde Smith would win by 20 so he can be safely ignored
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #514 on: December 04, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »

I suspect KY-GOV is probably fool's gold but it's definitely a better bet than trying to beat McConnell lol
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #515 on: December 04, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »

KY has one of the most unpopular R governors in the USA.

Clearly even a crimson red state like Oklahoma Kentucky would vote Democratic when the Republican governor is so deeply unpopular! Polarization hasn't gone that far, and gubernatorial elections aren't as polarized anyway!

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=40&year=2018&f=0&off=5&elect=0
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #516 on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »

Clearly even a crimson red state like Oklahoma Kentucky would vote Democratic when the Republican governor is so deeply unpopular! Polarization hasn't gone that far, and gubernatorial elections aren't as polarized anyway!

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=40&year=2018&f=0&off=5&elect=0
I mean, Fallin wasn't on the ballot, and Stitt was an "outsider", not a politician.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

Last I checked, Stintt was not the unpopular governor of OK.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #518 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »

I mean, Fallin wasn't on the ballot, and Stitt was an "outsider", not a politician.

plus OK is definitely more Republican than KY
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: December 04, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

Funny, that didn't seem to matter to you guys when you were arguing Edmondson would win because of Fallin's approval and called me insane for rating it safe R and saying Stitt would win by double digits. I guess history never stops repeating itself.

Predicting Edmondson would win was an even worse prediction than Hyde-Smith +20 btw.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #520 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

Funny, that didn't seem to matter to you guys when you were arguing Edmondson would win because of Fallin's approval and called me insane for rating it safe R and saying Stitt would win by double digits. I guess history never stops repeating itself.

Predicting Edmondson would win was an even worse prediction than Hyde-Smith +20 btw.

While I wasnt one of those people, there was still points of data that pointed towards it being a possibility. There was no evidence of that occurring in MS. The MS prediction is just plain bad, and ignores the facts of the elections.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #521 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

Candidate quality and approval ratings simply don't matter as much anymore, not in heavily Republican or heavily Democratic states. Bredesen was the best candidate Democrats could nominate in Tennessee, and he still lost by double digits. Richard Ojeda was a good fit for WV-03, yet he lost by double digits. Bob Hugin lost by double digits despite Menendez's scandals and personal unpopularity. Patrick Morrisey, Jim Renacci, and Matt Rosendale were terrible candidates, yet all three of them came within single digits (and in the cases of Morrisey and Rosendale, within 3 points) of victory. The fundamentals of each state are a more important factor than anything else, especially in this polarized environment.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »

2019 Ratings

Thoughts?

Candidate quality and approval ratings simply don't matter as much anymore, not in heavily Republican or heavily Democratic states. Bredesen was the best candidate Democrats could nominate in Tennessee, and he still lost by double digits. Richard Ojeda was a good fit for WV-03, yet he lost by double digits. Bob Hugin lost by double digits despite Menendez's scandals and personal unpopularity. Patrick Morrisey, Jim Renacci, and Matt Rosendale were terrible candidates, yet all three of them came within single digits (and in the cases of Morrisey and Rosendale, within 3 points) of victory. The fundamentals of each state are a more important factor than anything else, especially in this polarized environment.

You are only showing 1/2 the story.
Just a short rebuttal.

Bredesen ran a poor campaign, and couldnt capitalize on his momentum.
Ojeda was literally running in a Trump+50 district.
Hugin wasnt popular in NJ either, Menendez 23/44, Hugin 25/34
WV was Trump's best state, MT was a Trump +20 state(and the popular Democrat won, kinda a counterargument to your point, TBH) and OH saw a large trend to the right in 2018.

Partisanship is important, but popularity and appeal still matter, and its why many house candidates were able to clear the threshold.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: December 04, 2018, 06:43:27 PM »

While I wasnt one of those people, there was still points of data that pointed towards it being a possibility. There was no evidence of that occurring in MS. The MS prediction is just plain bad, and ignores the facts of the elections.

There really were not. He trailed in every single poll in the last few months and polls always overestimate the Dems in Oklahoma anyway. Fundamentals? It's Oklahoma! There were absolutely zero things pointing to him winning other than Muhry Fallin's approval and hackery. Same for Kentucky. Kentucky polls overestimate the Democrats, Conway had a lead even right before the election then still got BTFO. And as for the fundamentals, it's Kentucky. Bevin being unpopular doesn't matter. They are not going to elect a Democrat.

Atlas really needs to learn the lesson from the flameouts of Bredesen, Edmondson, etc. Some states are just unwinnable no matter what.

By the way, in regards to "gubernatorial elections being different"...only one red state elected a Democratic governor this year even in a D+9 environment, and that state (Kansas) wasn't even all that red this year. Clearly polarization is increasing for them as well unless there's a popular incumbent like Beebe, Hogan, etc.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #524 on: December 04, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »

There really were not. He trailed in every single poll in the last few months and polls always overestimate the Dems in Oklahoma anyway. Fundamentals? It's Oklahoma! There were absolutely zero things pointing to him winning other than Muhry Fallin's approval and hackery. Same for Kentucky. Kentucky polls overestimate the Democrats, Conway had a lead even right before the election then still got BTFO. And as for the fundamentals, it's Kentucky. Bevin being unpopular doesn't matter. They are not going to elect a Democrat.

Atlas really needs to learn the lesson from the flameouts of Bredesen, Edmondson, etc. Some states are just unwinnable no matter what.

By the way, in regards to "gubernatorial elections being different"...only one red state elected a Democratic governor this year, and the state wasn't even all that red this year. Clearly polarization is increasing for them as well unless there's a popular incumbent like Beebe, Hogan, etc.

my favorite part of atlas
Oklahoma tossup tilt R coz Stitt weak candidate muh FALLIN and Edmonson = strong candidate
Texas Safe R because Lupe Valdez weak candidate.
Both results were almost the same. Also yeah people gonna spam muh kansas when kansas is a D trending state with a lot of RINOs who might consider the D line. Its incredible how far left Johnson went this year for the gov race.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies