2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:44:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 151160 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »

It's funny because it's true.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #451 on: April 24, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »

Well, what alternative exist for centrists (real), who are basically ignored and villified in BOTH major political parties? To run as Indies.....
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »

MA: Warren drops out.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »

Forgot what thread this was and was immensely confused.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »

Same
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »

Roy Cooper will probably win in 2019

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good news: NC Dems on track to flip the General Assembly:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #456 on: May 01, 2018, 09:45:01 PM »

Roy Cooper will probably win in 2019

Good news: NC Dems on track to flip the General Assembly:

The NC state legislature is probably so gerrymandered that a D+7 lead will not be enough to flip it. The dubious claims made about gerrymandering making it extremely hard for Dems flipping the US House, they are largely applicable in regards to NC's state legislature.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #457 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »

The NC state legislature is probably so gerrymandered that a D+7 lead will not be enough to flip it. The dubious claims made about gerrymandering making it extremely hard for Dems flipping the US House, they are largely applicable in regards to NC's state legislature.

The gerrymanders of VA and WI have not been holding out in these special legislative elections, so there is a good chance the Dems might be able to break them. I think NC voters have just had it with the GOP

BIG
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #458 on: May 01, 2018, 09:59:39 PM »

The gerrymanders of VA and WI have not been holding out in these special legislative elections, so there is a good chance the Dems might be able to break them. I think NC voters have just had it with the GOP

BIG
The GOP's supermajorities in (both?) chambers are going to be gone imo, but an actual flip of both chambers under the current R-gerrymandered lines is going to be very hard to attain. If the VA state house didn't really flip in 2017, why would the NC state house and senate flip this year?
Also, important to note, NC is pretty inelastic...unlike WI.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #459 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »

BIG
The GOP's supermajorities in (both?) chambers are going to be gone imo, but an actual flip of both chambers under the current R-gerrymandered lines is going to be very hard to attain. If the VA state house didn't really flip in 2017, why would the NC state house and senate flip this year?
Also, important to note, NC is pretty inelastic...unlike WI.

This upcoming legislative election has the most Democrats running ever. I think there is a real good chance it can flip
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #460 on: May 01, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »

I'm really curious what a D+7 result would do to the legislature, but I think I have to agree with TimTurner in that flipping it with just D+7 doesn't seem possible. There is also precedent for this. Michigan's state House didn't flip in 2012 even with an almost D+8 popular vote win. Republicans walked away with a comfortable if not slimmer majority. The only difference between an R+8 pv in 2010 and a D+8 win in 2012 in Michigan was Democrats gaining 4 seats. That's literally all they got with wave-like numbers.

To use a more recent example, in Virginia 2017, Democrats flipped only one or two Trump seats with a 9 point PV win (skewed maybe by more seats w/o GOP candidates). Granted, Democrats flipped 15 seats, but almost all of them were Clinton seats. In order to flip the NC GA, Democrats would have to flip dozens of Trump seats. It's hard to see that happening, tbh.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #461 on: May 01, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »

I'm really curious what a D+7 result would do to the legislature, but I think I have to agree with TimTurner in that flipping it with just D+7 doesn't seem possible. There is also precedent for this. Michigan's state House didn't flip in 2012 even with an almost D+8 popular vote win. Republicans walked away with a comfortable if not slimmer majority. The only difference between an R+8 pv in 2010 and a D+8 win in 2012 in Michigan was Democrats gaining 4 seats. That's literally all they got with wave-like numbers.

To use a more recent example, in Virginia 2017, Democrats flipped only one or two Trump seats with a 9 point PV win (skewed maybe by more seats w/o GOP candidates). Granted, Democrats flipped 15 seats, but almost all of them were Clinton seats. In order to flip the NC GA, Democrats would have to flip dozens of Trump seats. It's hard to see that happening, tbh.

The Virginia HoD had a higher efficiency gap than the current NC General Assembly. NC's is around 12%, while VA's was nearly 20%:

Despite the gigantic efficiency gap, and with the experts over at DDHQ giving the VA HoD a 4% chance of flipping the day of the election...the Dems nearly flipped the legislature until the courts stole 1 seat. One of the major reasons it flipped is because the Democrats fielded a candidate for nearly every seat in VA.

Now, for the first time in history, NC has fielded a Democratic candidate for every legislative race and having a candidate for every seat in a terrible environment tends to cancel out the efficiency gap of gerrymandering:

If the VA HoD could (nearly) flip with a 18% efficiency gap....then the NC legislature could flip with a 12% gap

Of course....it may not flip but I think it stands a really good chance.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #462 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »

FL: POLITICO hints that Fratrick might be staffing up.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #463 on: May 03, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »

how many different brands of centrist do we need in the race for Florida Governor?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #464 on: May 15, 2018, 02:15:44 PM »

Laura Ellsworth, one of the three major GOP candidates for Governor in Pennsylvania was campaigning at my precinct. Seemed nice. Definitely the sane one of the three.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #465 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

Laura Ellsworth, one of the three major GOP candidates for Governor in Pennsylvania was campaigning at my precinct. Seemed nice. Definitely the sane one of the three.

What county/city?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #466 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »

What county/city?

Westmoreland

Turnout is pretty low. My Precinct is really republican, but I noticed a lot more Ds voting than usual.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: May 15, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

What county/city?

Westmoreland

Turnout is pretty low. My Precinct is really republican, but I noticed a lot more Ds voting than usual.

Interesting, Democrats still have a small advantage in voter registeration advantage in Westmorland, but that is still good to hear.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #468 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »

FL: Murphy's lined up $$$, is thinking about staff and will decide within a month.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #469 on: May 20, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »

NY GOP nominee Marcus Molinaro announces failed State Senate candidate Julie Killian as his running mate.

Lost her election in a fairly blue district, but, I think someone like Joseph Holland, John Cahill, or Nicole Malliotakis would've done far more for name familiarity. Disappointed.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

Patrick Murphy won't run for FL governor, will endorse Gwen Graham
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »

I guess he is content with his career lying about being an accountant.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #472 on: June 22, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »

Why didn't President Obama ran for Illinois Governor this year? He would've easily won the primary in March.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #473 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »

Why didn't President Obama ran for Illinois Governor this year? He would've easily won the primary in March.

Why on earth would he want to?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #474 on: June 22, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »

Because JB Pritzker is a multi-millionaire that can match Rauner's money, just like Blair Hull.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies