Some good news for Dems: Will 2018 be a bloodbath for Republican governors? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:20:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Some good news for Dems: Will 2018 be a bloodbath for Republican governors? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: --
Yes

Depends

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Some good news for Dems: Will 2018 be a bloodbath for Republican governors?  (Read 8670 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 12, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »

I said the day after the 2014 election that irrespective of who wins the Presidency, we'd have a Democratic governor in 4 years. New Mexico is pretty much guaranteed to go back to the Dems, and if Trump is unpopular enough (Which I'd bet my bottom dollar he will be) we'll pick up the open governorships in Nevada, Florida, Maine, and possibly Kansas after the Brownback disaster.

In 2002, Democrats won the governorships in Kansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wyoming (WTF!?), Maine, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Illinois and that was when Bush was popular enough for Republicans to take back the Senate and hold the House. If we can get strong, local candidates and get enough money behind them, I think Brad Henry can win his old job back in Oklahoma, or maybe even Jim Cooper in Tennessee.

This is where the Trump unpopularity factor comes in. I think his approval ratings will be at Obama 2010 or worse to where the message "Stop Donald Trump, vote (Democratic Candidate)" will work in even moderately red states. In normally-blue states like my own state of Michigan, I think Donald Trump is going to end up sweeping the Republicans out of power, just like Bush did in 2006. We took a commanding majority in the state House of Representatives and something like 3 seats from winning the Senate as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies