Between Two Majorities | The Cordray Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Between Two Majorities | The Cordray Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Between Two Majorities | The Cordray Administration  (Read 213886 times)
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »

Would this fit as a good post-realignment map?

Jalawest2

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »

I'm making a lean-likely-safe county map of what I suspect the tied realignment map would look like after the mirror-Bill Clinton comes into power. I'm struck by how strong the WA and OR margins would be for the republican presidential candidate. King County seems like a perfect description of the new republicans: wealthy,urban, and white, with a substantial asian minority. It would be close due to partisanship, but the republicans would basically guarantee a poll-closing time call by winning it and the surrounding suburban counties, which would be more republican. Whilst the democrats would be able to prevent it from becoming the next Wyoming through union whites in the current WA 6th congressional district, and hispanics+Yakima+some rural whites in the 4th, it would not be nearly enough to counter the republican trend in the vast majority of the seattle metro. The rural counties would be closer than now, but in most of them, without a substantial hispanic minority or unions, the 'right type of democrat' could win, but the standard democrat would have a hard time.

Oregon has this, but even worse, as the only core of democratic strength would be an enclave in and around Benton County, as all the hispanics would do is make Malheur close.

Both states have the vast majority of counties in the lean or likely R columns, reflecting the states as a whole. Between them, only 8 counties are in the safe R column, a combination of wealthy suburban counties that are already decently close, and rural counties that are so staunchly republican that it would take until the 2040s for them to become vaguely competitive. The only 3 safe D counties are Benton, Lane and Yakima.

Next is California!

I'd guess Oregon would be R+1 in PVI, and Washington R+8. California I'd say D+5. Washington is a much better fit for the republicans.
Jalawest2

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »

Looking at Arizona income statistics, it seems like it might become another Nevada, with Maricopa acting like clark, helped out by a few small hispanic counties in the south.
Jalawest2

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »

The Walrus,

Great work! Are you going county by county based on median income/home price? I do wonder how purchasing power parity will factor into states shifting left or right in this alignment. Iowa for example has the third highest PPP and isn't exactly a bastion of working class whites ala West Virginia as some would think.

Here's the list of states by PPP:

That PPP list was what I was using for my states map two pages back.
Jalawest2

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »

The Walrus,

Great work! Are you going county by county based on median income/home price? I do wonder how purchasing power parity will factor into states shifting left or right in this alignment. Iowa for example has the third highest PPP and isn't exactly a bastion of working class whites ala West Virginia as some would think.

Here's the list of states by PPP:

Hmm, if IL is between WA and OR in Purchasing Power, I'd guess that IL would be about R+4.
I had it as R+3, but of course differences those small don't really matter on the scale of decades.
Jalawest2

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »

https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/2014/06/16/worst-places/d92796c59951a5cccb3ad6411f599ad302a5c4bd/map-fallback.png
I finally found a map of PPP income by county.
Jalawest2

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »

Taking a preliminary look at California, it seems that it would have large swathes of narrowly republican suburbs in a duel with the less populous but staunchly democratic Los Angeles, with San Diego County and San Francisco deciding the winner. Lean D, but barely so.

I don't see San Francisco ever becoming a swing area, the Bay Area as a whole is actually one of the most economically left wing areas in the state and was one of the strongest places for OWS. Unless San Franisico undergoes even more rapid gentrification I don't see the city being anything but safe D.

Overall I'm somewhat doubtful that California will be that competitive in the future, unless the Hispanic population gets much more affluent during that time or some kind of water crisis pushes up utility rates and forces the poorest residents to leave the state.

I'm probably going to shift San Diego to safe d and San Francisco to likely. But I do see the Bay Area shifting right on economic issues and the GOP shifting left on social issues. Since white+Asians are a majority of it, it should by all rights be likely r, and trending that way. Only it's historical status keeps San Francisco from breaking dem ranks.

Checking PPP and income again, I have a suspicion that we're underestimating dems in Montana... Lean R seems about right for the state,but it seems a lot poorer than the rest of the interior plains and mountain west. I'm not sure what to do with it...
Looking at county data, I'm not so sure about that. It seems poor, but it scores well on other outcomes and is very libertarian.
Jalawest2

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Here is v3

I'm going to take a break from this until the afternoon. I'll be around to answer questions and take feedback, tho

Taking a preliminary look at California, it seems that it would have large swathes of narrowly republican suburbs in a duel with the less populous but staunchly democratic Los Angeles, with San Diego County and San Francisco deciding the winner. Lean D, but barely so.

I don't see San Francisco ever becoming a swing area, the Bay Area as a whole is actually one of the most economically left wing areas in the state and was one of the strongest places for OWS. Unless San Franisico undergoes even more rapid gentrification I don't see the city being anything but safe D.

Overall I'm somewhat doubtful that California will be that competitive in the future, unless the Hispanic population gets much more affluent during that time or some kind of water crisis pushes up utility rates and forces the poorest residents to leave the state.

I'm probably going to shift San Diego to safe d and San Francisco to likely. But I do see the Bay Area shifting right on economic issues and the GOP shifting left on social issues. Since white+Asians are a majority of it, it should by all rights be likely r, and trending that way. Only it's historical status keeps San Francisco from breaking dem ranks.

Checking PPP and income again, I have a suspicion that we're underestimating dems in Montana... Lean R seems about right for the state,but it seems a lot poorer than the rest of the interior plains and mountain west. I'm not sure what to do with it...
Looking at county data, I'm not so sure about that. It seems poor, but it scores well on other outcomes and is very libertarian.

I suspected that, but the question I'm having is will that stick? Maybe, but maybe not...
Why do you have Maricopa as lean/likely D? It seems like it'd become more republican than the rest of the state.
Jalawest2

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2017, 12:21:27 PM by Jalawest2 »

That works with the PPP income stuff. The most republican state is probably Utah, the most democratic New York (or PR).
EDIT: 50 state democratic landslide:
Jalawest2

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »

I'd put Iowa as R+12. Utah as R+17 (Utah actually trends D). Minnesota as R+11 (would be more, but it'll take a bit to swing it). It will probably elect democrats to the senate long after it turns Red.
Jalawest2

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »

Party registration by state sometime in the 2040s. Democrats hold an overall lead, and shades represent margins.
Jalawest2

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »

How easy would it be to do Puerto Rico? In a Dem alignment I could see it becoming a state.

Also, why is the Appalachian region of Ohio that much more Republican than the Appalachian region in Kentucky and Tennessee?

A municipal map of post realignment Puerto Rico would be very interesting.

I could try, but that would be a week in the future at the earliest. I would also need to look for data and a decent blank map
Puerto Rico would be beyond Titanium D here. It'd be the poorest state by a decent margin, and unlike WV, AR, or MS, it's overwhelmingly non-white. I'd say it probably have a D+20-25 PVI, and sweeping every municipality would be a given.
https://imgur.com/B40on0E.gif
A few wealthy suburban counties are only likely D, which makes them the most republican places on the island.
Jalawest2

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »

2030 house elections (or 2026). Republicans pickup 36 house seats.
Jalawest2

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

Democratic gain in WY-AL in a GOP wave election? This I got to hear.
WY-AL doesn't flip?
Jalawest2

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »

The 47th president of the united states, ladies and gentlemen.
Jalawest2

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 09:29:59 PM »

To see the future, we must first consider the past.
Oct 22nd, 2099.
The Death of the Seventh party system and the election of 2060
   The old democratic majority, the majority that had propelled the presidencies of Klobuchar, Castro, Moon, and Busto, was showing signs of breaking even back in 2048, when Overton first ascended to the presidency. Despite Garcia on the ticket, Overton had carried Colorado and Arizona, and had managed to win Illinois, Michigan, and most of the northeast, a feat not even Sun managed.
   The Square Deal majority of Klobuchar was split three ways by two issues. In the Midwest and the northeast, there were old school democrats, Obama voters most of them, many of them wealthy and most old school liberal, increasingly uncomfortable with the growing left populism of the party and the money spent on global warming, a trend which only increased under Moon and Overton. In the northeast US, Overton won every Obama except Maine and New York in 2048, and in 2052 carried even Maine. These voters were the first to leave the Democratic party, and their growing republicanness helped propel Overton to the presidency and congressional majorities in 2048. The second group were the immigrants and their children, in Washington, Hawaii, California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. They had been steadfast democrats ever since Trump, but the failures of 3 democratic immigrations to liberalize immigration laws, and Sun and Overton’s successes, led to them voting for Overton in 2052, and proving integral to the coalition that Terry and the younger Overton would ride to the presidency. The third group, and the newest members were the working class white voters, often catholic, many of them the children of ancestral democrats, in the south, who switched for Klobuchar and slowly began to vote Democratic again down ballot. As the century wore on, the black democratic vote in the south slowly began to merge, and the three blocks of the democratic party had formed. Overton managed to win majorities from the southwestern and northeastern democratic vote, but they were due more to personal popularity than a permanent reason for them to join the forming majority coalition. Thurstan vs. Mississippi and Hurricane Eva were the wedge issues, that would give Republicans 12 years in the White House for the first time since H.W Bush. 
   First, let us examine Thurstan vs. Mississippi. Jane Thurstan was a young woman who lived in Mississippi, and who wished to genetically modify her fetus’s with her husband. Under the Genetic Protection Act of 2051, this was illegal in Mississippi, and carried strict penalties, with the possibility of up to 6 months in jail. Thurstan sued the government of Mississippi in October 2057, arguing that under the precedent set by Roe v. Wade she had the right to do so. The Governor of Mississippi, Derrick Simmons, publicly decried her and declared genetic modification an “abomination against god”. The case quickly worked its way up to the supreme court, which in June 2059 ruled that Thurstan was justified, in a 6-3 ruling. Chief Justice Thomas Russell, speaking for the majority, ruled that parents had the right to fetal modification as long as it did not “directly and immediately harm their future child.” Justice Neil Gorsuch (who was originally appointed by Donald Trump) angrily dissented, comparing modification of fetuses to rape and even mentioning his anti-abortion stance. Justices Costa and Collins, though less fiery in their dissents, also disagreeing with Russell’s ruling. Notably, all four women on the supreme court, Bennett, Flores, Scott, and Ward, agreed with Jane Thurstan, while only David Hale and Thomas Russell of the men on the court did so.
   Thurstan vs. Mississippi was essentially a grenade thrown into the heart of the Democratic coalition, with the party being split down the middle. 4 of the 6 democratic justices ruled in favor of genetic modification, while two did not. With the issue now brought into the spotlight, many in the democratic party supported a constitutional amendment to ban genetic modification, President Nayara Bustos being among them. However, southwestern and northeastern liberals were far less sanguine about that. No states north of the mason-Dixon would pass the proposed 31st amendment, and Busto’s hardline stance would lead to President Terry sweeping the northeast, and the remnants of down ballot democrats vanishing in the northeast. In the South, it was more popular, and Busto carried the evangelical vote in Mississippi for the first time since Jimmy Carter.
   Hurricane Eva was the second issue that destroyed the Square Deal coalition that dominated the first half of the 20th century. Even today, Hurricane Eva was a hurricane of astonishing scale. It measured nearly 2000 miles in diameter, stretching at one point from Austin to the Bahamas in August 2058. It had peak winds of over 250 mph. It lasted for two weeks. smashing through almost the entire southeast and dumping rain all the way to Phoenix. Eva caused 4.5 trillion dollars (2099) in damage, nearly 7% of the US’s GDP. Busto’s incompetence in handling the hurricane lead to collapsing popularity for her. But more importantly, it polarized the Republicans as the party of the North. When Overton had called for “No more Bailouts” in 2048, he had been referring to hurricanes a tenth Eva’s size. The new movement was far stronger. Northeastern and West Coast liberals alike loathed the thought of wasting their income to bail out the south again, to rebuild New Orleans for the fourth time and Miami for the third. The Eva Relief bill that Bustos originally proposed failed, 251-188, with the representatives of the north nearly unanimous against it. Though a compromise bill would ultimately get through after the midterms, it would be significantly smaller, and would ban government aid in much of the south for further hurricanes. It would also impose a mandatory hurricane insurance system in most of the south for homeowners. The Martin bill would lead to Busto’s getting over 60% in most of the south in 2060, even as she went to a landslide defeat.
   In conclusion, the Square deal coalition was ultimately undone by the issues of genetic modification and climate change, which polarized the religious poor southern conservatives against the northern democrats, and led to Emily Terry successfully picking up the Southwest and Northeast in 2060 and 2064, and the democrats nearly collapsing, shrinking into their poor conservative aging southern base. It would take them until 2072 to regenerate, and even then it was rough, with Republicans holding the presidency from 2080-2092, in the Rupertson and Mondy administrations. The current administration is rather different, of course, but that is an entirely different article.
-Isa Popov is a writer with The Atlantic. 
Jalawest2

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 09:49:01 PM by Jalawest2 »

Part 1: Alex Williams and the 2068 Election
   To say that President Williams was unpopular in January 2068 would be to drastically understate the issue. A year ago, the economic downturn, his personal feud with the Cordray family, stinking allegations of corruption, hurricanes, and a litany of other issues had led to an approval rating of 41-52, driving the Democratic party down to only 215 seats in the house, and to lose their majority in the senate, losing seats in Washington, Montana, Arizona, Minnesota, Michigan, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Virginia, Tennessee, and Florida.
   By 2067, however, his situation had become far worse. The Vice President, The Secretaries of Space, Transportation, and Labor, along with the President’s brother-in-law and daughter, had all been convicted on various charges. The President and his administration were accused of running a ring of corruption that delivered lucrative contracts for the Daedalus project to his personal friends, family, and business associates from his space industry career. The President had a 28-65 approval rating, was polling in the forties for re-election in the democratic primary, and seemed likely to lose in a landslide. Democratic party leaders repeatedly tried to convince Williams not to run for re-election. Finally, on February 17th, Williams dropped out of the Democratic race, agreeing to a private deal with Speaker Bennett, Senate Majority Leader Gonzalez, and the Democratic National Committee. In this, he would be pardoned by the next president for his crimes, in return for which he would not run for re-election and would stay out of the presidential race.
   The Democratic primary field was drastically shaken up by this announcement, with Senator Nayara Bustos, elected back less than two years ago in 2066, immediately rising to the top. Though a few more democrats would jump in, by the date of the primary on March 17th, Bustos’s squeaky clean image, outsider aura, youth, and promises to clean up Washington, lead to her winning a majority, with 52% of the vote, over her nearest opponent, Senate Minority Leader Sean Miller, who managed only 23%. The Republican party, who nominated Governor Ariana Ward, a moderate from Wisconsin held early, and consistent leads in polling. From the date of the national convention in May to November, Ward averaged a 6% lead, at times passing 10%, and never falling below 2%. She seemed almost certain to win, especially given she was rated as the winner of three of the five debates.
   Then, Williams intervened. A minor official from the Department of Justice leaked a report, showing that Ward’s mother, a former house member from Wisconsin, had been subpoenaed before a grand jury and nearly indicted, back in May 2066. The elder Ward died shortly after, in mid 2067. Though the report left out extenuating circumstances, and subsequent evidence cleared the elder Ward, the allegations of corruption in her family dealt a hammer blow to the Republican campaign. Her lead immediately dropped, within a week going from 5.5 points to just 1.2. Though she would start recovering the week before election day, the October surprise seemed poised to deliver a fatal blow to her campaign.
Jalawest2

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:42 PM »

What is the state of world affairs around 2070?  Would like some context. 
Guessing, and this isn't canon, but a multipolar world. China, India, Europe, the US and closely bound allies, and Africa all make up major power blocs. The world is integrated, most people can travel anywhere they want, war is nearly gone, and translation software is advanced enough to break down most barriers. There isn't a world government yet, but a presidential candidate stating it as a goal is accepted, and not even that remarkable.
Jalawest2

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »

Part 2: Five-Fifty Monday Night Summary

Who will win and who will lose tomorrow night?
Well, the Real Clear Politics Polling Average has this to say.
Ariana Ward (R-WI): 46.6%
Nayara Bustos (D-NV): 44.8%
Zoey Kelly (S-MO): 1.3%
Mila Thompson (CON-NY): 1.1%
Other/Undecided: 6.2%

The average for political rating agencies looks like this

With the statistics being
Solid D: 23
Likely D: 52
Lean D: 117

Tossup: 54
Lean R: 126
Likely R: 135
Solid R: 43

Or, you could say,
Democratic: 192
Republican: 304

With the election approaching tomorrow, Ward appears to have a near-dominant lead, with a polling and electoral advantage and an impenetrable red wall of states. Senator Bustos better hope for a near-miracle on Tuesday, because it seems like she will need one. Bustos needs not only to sweep the table in democratic and tossup states, but also grab a few states leaning towards Ward.
Jalawest2

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »

Election Night, Part 1 (6 PM-9 PM)
6: The time is now 6 PM, and polls are closing in Kentucky and Indiana. We are not able to call either state at this time.

6: Polls have now closed for the Senate Race in Kentucky, where the Republican incumbent, Avery Watkins, appears certain to outrun Ward tonight. We cannot, however, make a call quite yet.

7 PM: The time is now 7 PM, and we have poll closings in Georgia, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and Puerto Rico. The only one we can call at this time is Puerto Rico, which makes the tally 6 Bustos to 0 Ward.

7: We have several more poll closings for the Senate, but we are not prepared to make any calls yet.

7:30 PM: The polls are closing in Ohio, North Carolina, and West Virginia. We cannot project any of them at this time, however, we can project Indiana for Governor Ward, and Kentucky for Senator Bustos, bringing the tally to 9R-13D.

7:30: The polls for the elections in North Carolina, Puerto Rico and West Virginia have just closed. We cannot call North Carolina, but we can call West Virginia and Kentucky for the Republicans, both of whom have far outperformed Ward in their states tonight.  Puerto Rico, obviously, we can call for Representative Gabriel Rodriguez. 

8 PM: The time is 8 PM, and polls are closing across the country. We can project Kansas and New Hampshire for Governor Ward, versus D.C, West Virginia, and Mississippi for Bustos, no surprises there. Senator Bustos is posting early leads in an awful lot of states tonight, perhaps a sign she is outperforming her polls. The current electoral college tally is 18R-26D

8: A number of states have polls closing now, and we can call several of them. Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas we can all call for the Republicans, versus Mississippi staying with the Democrats even after Young retires.

The time is now 8:30 PM, and polls are closing in Arkansas, which we cannot call at this time. However, we can call South Carolina for Senator Bustos, expanding her lead to 16 electoral votes.

8:30: We have a number of important calls to make. Maine and Massachusetts we can both call for the democrats. Maine, especially, is a shocker, with an incumbent republican in a purple state seeming on track to lose by double digits. I did not expect that tonight. We can also call Tennessee and Alabama for the Republicans. In Alabama, Kayla Young is winning in a landslide victory in a blue state for this open seat. We have two flips already, and no net change.

8:30 PM:

9 PM: The time is now 9 PM, and polls are closing all throughout the Midwest. We have a number of calls for Governor Ward, closing the gap for here to only 7 electoral votes. Nebraska’s 2nd district, North Dakota, South Dakota, her home state of Wisconsin, and Wyoming will go for her. We cannot call any other states at this time.

9: We have a number of poll closings and calls to make, and I will say that this does not look good for the blue team. In Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa, we can call all of them for Republicans right as the polls close. In Virginia, North Carolina, and New Jersey, and early, three more pickups of open seats. New Hampshire too goes Republican again tonight. Ward might not win tonight, but with 52 out of 108 seats already in the bag, but Majority Leader Gonzalez seems very very likely to keep his gavel.

Jalawest2

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »

Election Night, Part 2 (9:30 PM-MIDNIGHT)
9:30 PM: We have a number of calls to make now that we were not able to earlier. Ward will win Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the remainder of Nebraska’s electoral votes. Senator Bustos will carry Louisiana and Vermont, and Maine’s 2nd district. This brings the electoral tally to 82-53. Ward has gained her first lead in the electoral college of the night, though Bustos does seem to be outperforming her expectations.

10 PM: We can call multiple states, amid the poll closings. We can call Connecticut, Michigan, and Utah for Governor Ward. Senator Bustos will win Alabama and her home state of Nevada. This brings the tally to 105 for Ward versus 69 for Bustos.

10: Three more calls, none of which should be surprising. We can call Montana and Idaho for the Republicans, giving them 54 guaranteed seats already. Rhode Island, on the other hand, we can call for the Democrats.

10:30 PM: We have some more calls to make now. Arkansas and Missouri we can call for Bustos, along with New Mexico. Iowa, Virginia, and Maine’s 1st district we can call for Ward. This brings the tally to 126-88. Ward is leading in the electoral and popular vote, but Senator Bustos has a much clearer path to victory, especially with Texas leaning towards her, than she did a few hours ago,

10:30: Three notable calls, right now. Michigan and New Mexico can be called for the democrats, crucial during this election. Unfortunately for them, we can now call Delaware for State Senator Haley Phillips, giving them their fifth gain tonight, and, crucially, their 55th seat. Majority Leader Gonzalez can now rest assured he will keep his gavel, regardless of what happens downballot.

11 PM: As the west coast closes, we have some calls to make. Maryland goes Democratic, Illinois goes Republican, but we can’t call any of the states that just closed. Bustos appears to be falling out of contention.

11: We can now call Colorado for the Republicans. That is all.

11:30 PM: We can now call Massachusetts for Ward, and New York for Senator Bustos, a sign of the split across the northeast tonight. This brings the tally to 154 Ward, 126 Bustos.

12 PM: CALLS! CALLS! CALLS! Alaska, Mars, and Luna close, and every state has now wrapped up their election. We can call Alaska and Mars, both for Ward. For Senator Bustos, we can call Texas and Ohio, and with that she takes the lead, to the tune of 161-184.

Midnight: We can now call Alaska for incumbent senator Liu, along with the Class 2 Lunar Senate Election for the Republicans. The Democrats hold their seat in Georgia, one of the few bright signs in the south tonight.

Jalawest2

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »

Election Night, Part 3 (Midnight-4 PM)
The time is now 12:30 AM, and we have a few more calls to make. We can now call Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington for Governor Ward. For Senator Bustos, we can call Tennessee. All of these are normal calls, and this makes the electoral college count 195 for Ward to 197 for Senator Bustos. This election seems balanced on a knife’s edge.

12:30 AM: We can now call South Carolina for the Republicans, their 6th pickup of the night.

The time is now 1:30 AM, and we can call Georgia for Governor Ward. With that, she retakes the lead.
1:30 AM: If Sean Miller is still awake, he just got a bit of good news in this depressing year. Oregon, Arkansas, and the Lunar Special Election can all be called for the Democrats, giving them three more gains, desperately needed tonight. The Democrats will now be able to filibuster in the Senate.

2:00 AM: And we can now call Luna, for the first time every in a presidential election, for Governor Ward.
2:45 AM: And we can now call Colorado for Governor Ward. She now has 228 electoral votes, to Bustos’s 197. California alone can put her over the top.

3:30 AM: Louisiana can now be called for the Republicans for the Senate. Voters were not happy with Senator Edwards tonight, and it showed, with a 24! point swing against him. Minnesota is still unknown, but appears to be going to a recount eventually.

Jalawest2

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »

Mars and the Moon have enough population for statehood???

And I wouldn't be surprised if Guam, NMI, and the Virgin Islands aren't even states while the MOON is

Yeah, not to mention that I seriously doubt the rest of the world would just allow the US to grab the entire Moon for themselves. Most likely it would just be some sort of international protectorate I guess.

In fact, isn't space by current rules basically neutral ground?

Then again at that point it's basically sci-fi so who really knows?

well I'd argue that "The Moon" and "Mars" in the context of Jalawest's election night would be shorthand for "The American Lunar Sector" and "The American Martian Sector"
Jalawest2

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »

Election Night, Part 4 (Final)
4:15 AM: We can now call California, and it goes for Senator Bustos. She now is leading, with 255 electoral votes.

7 AM: And we can now call Oklahoma for Governor Ward, a gain for her from last election.
8 AM: We can now call Maine’s 2 at large electoral votes for Senator Bustos. Only five states remain, with both candidates having paths to victory.
11 AM: We can call Hawaii, now for Senator Bustos. She is now barely short of those she needs to win. North Carolina or Arizona will put her over the top.
12 AM: And we can now call Rhode Island for Senator Bustos. The score is now 273 to 241. Any victory will put Bustos over the top, although she does seem to have lost the popular vote.

12:45 PM: And we can now call North Carolina, for Senator, now President-Elect, Nayara Bustos. With this victory she has won 288 electoral votes, enough to win the presidency of the United States of America.

Jalawest2

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 11:24:40 PM »

Yay!!!! Is she the first Latina president?
Yes. More is to come, in a new thread.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies