HB 2016-1053 - The Presidential Succession Act of 2016 (DFW EAT THIS NOW!) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 2016-1053 - The Presidential Succession Act of 2016 (DFW EAT THIS NOW!) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 2016-1053 - The Presidential Succession Act of 2016 (DFW EAT THIS NOW!)  (Read 1113 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: November 02, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2016, 11:05:53 PM by President Leinad »

Can someone tell me if there is something in the constitution that removes a president if he's inactive?

I think so, but now is not the time to amend this bill--we need to get this to my desk ASAP or we might not have a President for at least a few days.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »

Why should Senators be ahead of house members in the line of succession? The head of the house is ahead of the Senate PPT.

This is actually my idea as I suggested it to Peebs, so I should probably defend it:

-Senators basically have a higher "seniority" than House members. The very word comes from the same Latin root as "senior." There are less Senators, they serve for longer terms, and looking at career trajectories seems to be the higher rung on the ladder (although I could see how one would prefer the House). Therefore a Senator, on average, is probably a slightly better bet for an effective President than a Representative, although it would obviously come down to many more complex factors that couldn't be quantified in a list like this.

-With all that said, I think both chambers should, overall, be equal. Given that the Speaker is ranked ahead of the PPT in order of succession, I feel it balances it out for Senators 2-6 to be ranked ahead of Representatives 2-9--and remember that we will probably never, ever, ever need to go this far down the line of succession anyway, even with the rampant inactivity there's little chance the entire cabinet is absent.

My suggestion would be to suspend the freaking rules and fast-track this to my desk, and then make a new bill so we can have congressional debate on how to fine tune this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies