Political compass maps of all 50 states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:43:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Political compass maps of all 50 states
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Political compass maps of all 50 states  (Read 9500 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »

Where do the 50 states stand on the political compass if you took the average position of everyone in the state?  Let's see a social map and an economic map.

The colors to use:
-10 to -8: >70% D
-8 to -6: >60% D
-6 to -4: >50% D
-4 to -2: <50% D
-2 to 0: <40% D
0 to 2: <40% R
2 to 4: <50% R
4 to 6: >50% R
6 to 8: >60% R
8 to 10: >70% R
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:31:59 AM »

Here's a social map.  Red-socially liberal, Blue socially conservative. I'm not that good that I could make one into that many categories, but for that matter I don't think anyone else here is. (It's probably why my response is first after 28 veiws).
Just a guess, if Alcon or anyone else has a more complex map or one that's different, post it...
Economic coming in a few
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:38:45 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 01:40:41 AM by jfern »

Here's a social map.  Red-socially liberal, Blue socially conservative. I'm not that good that I could make one into that many categories, but for that matter I don't think anyone else here is. (It's probably why my response is first after 28 veiws).
Just a guess, if Alcon or anyone else has a more complex map or one that's different, post it...
Economic coming in a few

I'd move VT, CT, and RI to the left. Maybe HI or ME, not sure on those.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:45:46 AM »

I can only guess.  Most governments aren't too fiscally (conservative) responsible anyways.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:50:14 AM »

Economic coming in a few

I'd move VT, CT, and RI to the left. Maybe HI or ME, not sure on those.

I don't know.  Hawaii's hard to tell (especially since none of us are from there-at least that I know of).  I can see VT and CT as left, but not too far because of suburban consevatives (and because it'd be hard to find states are far left as Mass. and NY).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:58:35 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 02:00:19 AM by Smash255 »

Social

Economic

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »

PA and WI would be not lean towards social liberalism.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 02:05:54 AM »

I would put both of them in the(0/-1) range.  If their was a category for completley centerist I would have picked that
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 02:13:14 AM »

Social:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 02:21:40 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 02:23:40 AM by jfern »

Economic. BTW, there might not be much difference between the Democratic 60+ and 70+ states.

The darkest states get mentioned because of

IL - Chicago
WV - Very populist
MA - Insane Democratic control
NY - Immigrants in NYC
CA - Enforces workplace safety more than the other 49 states combined
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:43:29 AM »

I would darken PA one shade red on economics and Phil, PA is fine socially due to the Philly area overwhelming the state in population.  Land area, you're right, PA is conservative.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 03:22:37 AM »

I can only guess.  Most governments aren't too fiscally (conservative) responsible anyways.

Missouri should be more blue.
At least judging from their state government, which is one of the more fiscally responsible.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 12:36:37 PM »

Most people in Indiana are economic populists. However, that doesn't mean the government there is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »

Colorado is not socially liberal, as a whole on the state-wide basis. 

Remember Pete Coors v. Ken Salazar last year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 12:52:07 PM »

Phil, PA is fine socially due to the Philly area overwhelming the state in population. 

You'd call PA a socially liberal state? You've lost whatever brain power you once had.

Flyers, using what you've said about PA, how can you still argue we are a centrist state? Your claim is that we are now a liberal state.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »

Missouri should be more blue.
At least judging from their state government, which is one of the more fiscally responsible.

Is Missouri state government GOP-controlled? Because if it is maybe Congress and the President should take note

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 01:05:31 PM »

Perhaps, were the Democrats to nominate an economic liberal/social conservative (moderate on both counts preferably), a presidential election could be there's for the taking?

Dave
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »

Perhaps, were the Democrats to nominate an economic liberal/social conservative (moderate on both counts preferably), a presidential election could be there's for the taking?

Dave
thats seems like the case.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 03:50:42 PM »

Hawaii is devoutly Democratic and very socially and economically liberal. My family comes from there, so I know a few things about Hawaiian politics in general.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 04:45:27 PM »

Phil, PA is fine socially due to the Philly area overwhelming the state in population. 

You'd call PA a socially liberal state? You've lost whatever brain power you once had.

Flyers, using what you've said about PA, how can you still argue we are a centrist state? Your claim is that we are now a liberal state.

Phil being in the (0/-2) range means slight liberal lean.  Their are parts of the state (most of the land area) that is socially conservative, butt SE PA where much of the population resides is socially liberal) which gives a slight (key wors slight) liberal lean on social issues statewide (like in the 0/-1 range on the PC)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »

Phil being in the (0/-2) range means slight liberal lean.  Their are parts of the state (most of the land area) that is socially conservative, butt SE PA where much of the population resides is socially liberal) which gives a slight (key wors slight) liberal lean on social issues statewide (like in the 0/-1 range on the PC)

This state does not lean socially liberal. I know the SE has much of the population but leave the SE to other highly populated areas and they lean towards social conservativism.

You're too much of a hack to argue with anymore, Smash.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 04:59:27 PM »

This state does not lean socially liberal. I know the SE has much of the population but leave the SE to other highly populated areas and they lean towards social conservativism.

Granted other heavily populated areas tend to be more socially conservative than the SE, but the bulk of the population in the SE makes it a slight left lean.  Regardless instead of calling someone you disagree with a hack why don't you make your own map
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 05:00:34 PM »

Granted other heavily populated areas tend to be more socially conservative than the SE, but the bulk of the population in the SE makes it a slight left lean.  Regardless instead of calling someone you disagree with a hack why don't you make your own map

I don't need to make my own map to tell you that this state doesn't lean to the left on social issues.

I know the SE is socially liberal but this area of the state does NOT outweigh the rest!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 05:09:12 PM »

I don't need to make my own map to tell you that this state doesn't lean to the left on social issues.

I know the SE is socially liberal but this area of the state does NOT outweigh the rest!

You point out one (posssibly two states) that you disagree with me on & call me a hack.  I want to know what you think the social breakdown of the country is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 05:11:06 PM »

You point out one (posssibly two states) that you disagree with me on & call me a hack.  I want to know what you think the social breakdown of the country is.

Oh, you're a hack for many other reasons but my main disagreement here is with PA. I don't need to post a whole U.S. map to make a case. PA does not lean to the left socially and Flyers asking for PA to be another shade of red would make us Kucinich-like on economics! Give it up, people!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies