CNN/ORC Clinton +5 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:41:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  CNN/ORC Clinton +5 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN/ORC Clinton +5  (Read 3827 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: October 24, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »

One more poll that shows Johnson and Stein's numbers crashing. Just like everyone predicted.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »

Mathematics is hard.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

Johnson has definitely declined from his peak, but his peak was something like 9% in the polling averages, and the polling averages now have him at about 6%.  So sure, that's a decline, but not the kind of "crash" that some were predicting six months ago when some were saying "Oh, his ceiling is going to be something like 2%."

Most polls still have him north of 5, yet when we get polls like this that have him below 5, everyone starts jumping on it like "See, I told you Johnson was going to crash and burn!"  In the threads on polls that still have him in high single digits, there isn't a corresponding chorus of "I guess Johnson isn't going to drop like people were saying."

Third parties typically decline even more on election day itself than in the polling leading up to election day. Nader polled at 2.3% in 2008 and he got 0.6%. Barr polled at 1.5% and got 0.4%.

Neither of them were actually included in many polls that year.  Should be noted that Perot '92, Perot '96, and Nader '00 all did about as well on election day as they were polling a few weeks before the election.  I guess what I'd say is that polls are really bad at distinguishing between a 3rd party candidate whose true support is 0.5% and a 3rd party candidate whose true support is 5%.  It's not clear to me that we can figure out which of those categories Johnson is in in advance of the election.

According to PPP, among early voters in North Carolina Johnson got so few votes that his number rounded down to 0. His and Stein's support is extremely soft, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people who say that support them don't even bother to vote at all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »

Johnson has definitely declined from his peak, but his peak was something like 9% in the polling averages, and the polling averages now have him at about 6%.  So sure, that's a decline, but not the kind of "crash" that some were predicting six months ago when some were saying "Oh, his ceiling is going to be something like 2%."

Most polls still have him north of 5, yet when we get polls like this that have him below 5, everyone starts jumping on it like "See, I told you Johnson was going to crash and burn!"  In the threads on polls that still have him in high single digits, there isn't a corresponding chorus of "I guess Johnson isn't going to drop like people were saying."

Third parties typically decline even more on election day itself than in the polling leading up to election day. Nader polled at 2.3% in 2008 and he got 0.6%. Barr polled at 1.5% and got 0.4%.

Neither of them were actually included in many polls that year.  Should be noted that Perot '92, Perot '96, and Nader '00 all did about as well on election day as they were polling a few weeks before the election.  I guess what I'd say is that polls are really bad at distinguishing between a 3rd party candidate whose true support is 0.5% and a 3rd party candidate whose true support is 5%.  It's not clear to me that we can figure out which of those categories Johnson is in in advance of the election.

According to PPP, among early voters in North Carolina Johnson got so few votes that his number rounded down to 0. His and Stein's support is extremely soft, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people who say that support them don't even bother to vote at all.

Do we have any evidence that "early vote polling" is predictive of anything?  I am skeptical.  We really don't know how people who vote early might compare to those who vote on election day, or how polling of self-identified early voters stacks up against final results.

It's certainly indicative of enthusiasm, or in this case the lack thereof, of Johnson voters.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »

Clinton + 4-6% is how the race stands with 15 days to go.

It's likely she will win, but it's not over yet folks.

You are dismissing multiple polls that have her in the high single digits are low double digits that vastly outweigh those that have her in the mid single digits. The average right now with live caller polls is around 8%.

Atl./PRRI: C+15
ABC: C+12
Mon.: C+12
NBCWSJ: C+10
CBS: C+9
Selzer C+9
Bg C+8
Fox C+7
Q C+7
CNN C+5
IBD TIE

AVERAGE: 8.54%

...and you are dismissing some polls that see the race as pure toss-up like L.A Times poll and Rasmussen. Nate Silver also has the race at HRC +5.2% at the moment. 4-6% is the current stand.

The LA Times poll is trash, and Rasmussen state polls completely contradict their national polling.

The RCP average is Clinton +5, and I think Trump will still close the gap a bit if the media's attention goes back to HRC for a few days.

RCP cherrypicks the most favorable R polls for their average, like the completely discredited LA Times tracking. Pollster has both her 2-way average at 7+.
There are no more big events for Trump to change the trajectory of the race and voting has been underway for three weeks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies