2016: President Mitt Romney vs Sec. Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:08:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: President Mitt Romney vs Sec. Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Hillary by landslide

Hillary comfortably

Hillary narrowly

Romney narrowly

Romney comfortably

Romney by landslide

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 113

Author Topic: 2016: President Mitt Romney vs Sec. Hillary Clinton  (Read 5441 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »

LOL, OSR is such a Romney fanboy. No Romney would not win by 15 or 16 points, this isn't 1984 and he's not Reagan. Such landslides are impossible for anyone now, let alone a Republican (and such an uninspiring one to most at that) in our polarized, D-leaning electorate. If he won at all, it would be narrow. He probably would not win D-leaning states like Minnesota, Colorado, Virginia, Nevada, or New Hampshire (another OSR fixation). And the other swing states are debatable at best.

Look at my 2021 post not my 2016 post lol. Also as an incumbent hed win CO NV NH for sure given how close they were in 2016 and after the Comey letter take VA and MN as well
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 03:03:56 PM »

LOL, OSR is such a Romney fanboy. No Romney would not win by 15 or 16 points, this isn't 1984 and he's not Reagan. Such landslides are impossible for anyone now, let alone a Republican (and such an uninspiring one to most at that) in our polarized, D-leaning electorate. If he won at all, it would be narrow. He probably would not win D-leaning states like Minnesota, Colorado, Virginia, Nevada, or New Hampshire (another OSR fixation). And the other swing states are debatable at best.

I think Romney probably wins VA and CO if he won in 2012 and I don't see any reason why he couldn't win them again in a successful re-election bid. I'm not a great fan of Romney but realistically if things played out roughly the same between 2012 and 2016 roughly as in our real time and the economy still gets more back on track, I think Romney probably wins re-election. There is a chance someone like Bernie comes along and upsets him but in a scenario where the economy's doing well and Romney hasn't made too many mistakes abroad/at home a Bernie upset seems unlikely. Don't forget Clinton isn't a great candidate either. If she couldn't win against Trump, I don't think she does well against an incumbent Republican unless said incumbent messes up badly.

I don't t think Romney wins MI but I think he would win the latter 4 states you mentioned. (along with WI, ME-02 and PA) Looking at it, I'd probably leave NM narrowly with Clinton. I'd still expect a 322-216 win for the president though. Wisconsin in this scenario would probably be pretty close but I think Ryan would tip it over. Romney still wins 312-226 even without WI though.
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:10 PM »

Romney comfortably wins as an incumbent against Hillary Clinton.

President Mitt Romney (R-MA)/Vice President Paul Ryan (R-WI) - 308EV 49.0%
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) - 230EV 47.5%

Closeest States
Virginia: 48.6-48.4 (FLIP)
Colorado: 48.4-47.9
Nevada: 48.6-47.8 (FLIP)

Pennsylvania: 49.0-47.7 (FLIP)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 07:41:26 PM »

It could be a close election or a landslide race. I'd say the most likely map is this...

✓ President Mitt Romney (R-MA)/Vice President Paul Ryan (R-WI): 327 EV. (51.32%)
Fmr. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT): 211 EV. (46.07%)
Seems about right, though Minnesota and Michigan might flip as well. Mitt Romney also likely does good enough with suburban voters to keep New Jersey and Connecticut at around 53-55% in Hillary Clinton’s favor.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2021, 01:39:21 PM »

It would depend on his approval rating. If Romney goes in with Obama-level approval ratings of around 60%, he'd easily win the Trump states plus Colorado, Nevada, Minnesota, New Hampshire, ME-AL and either narrowly win or lose Delaware and Virginia. I think he'd also perform at Bush 2004 levels along The West Coast and get within single digits of taking Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey. While people may be puzzled of the first two, people seem to forget how popular of a governor Mitt was in Massachusetts and I anticipate he'd have high approval ratings for a Republican in that state, as well as neighboring Rhode Island. The only states Romney would lose by double digits would be the Democratic strongholds of Illinois (plus Clinton's homestate advtange), Obama's homestate of Hawaii, Maryland with a lot of federal workers, and her adoptive homestate of New York. At the same time if Dems take back the house in 2014 and it becomes a lame duck, I can see Romney losing by around what the polls predicted Trump would lose by. The more likely scenario is that he does slightly worse than Trump (switching NV, CO, NH+ME with MI+PA).
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2022, 07:10:00 PM by BigVic »

President W. Mitt Romney (R-UT)/Vice Pres. Paul D. Ryan (R-WI) 322 (51.8%)
Former Sec of State Hillary R. Clinton (D-NY)/Fmr Gov. Deval A. Patrick (D-MA) 215 (46.9%)

*one faithless HI elector casted a vote for Bernie Sanders, Hillary's primary opponent.

A solid EC victory for Mitt Romney and like W Bush, he wins the popular vote in his re-election year.  Romney switches from MA to UT during his presidency. HRC would be unpopular as IRL but she would be under more pressure due to her facing an incumbent President. Romney's approval rating would be around 48-51% on Election Day.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies