Foreign Trump Effect? Duterte officially breaks up with US, allies with China
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:25:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Foreign Trump Effect? Duterte officially breaks up with US, allies with China
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Foreign Trump Effect? Duterte officially breaks up with US, allies with China  (Read 1425 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2016, 06:19:41 PM by 🦀🎂 »

China is a different matter. Although its regional rivals dislike the Chinese, it's nothing compared to the resentment felt by Poland or the Baltic or Georgia towards Mother Russia. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that (aside from when DPP controls Taiwan) Washington is far more distrusting of Beijing than any other relevant power. There is no equivalent of Poland for example. Perhaps one can argue that recent conflict between Pakistan and India will bring New Delhi into diplomatic conflict with Islamabad's supposed sponsors but I'm sceptical (even if Modi's government has behaved characteristicly thuggishnessly in Nepal recently). Same with SE Asian powers like Indonesia and Vietnam. Even Korea is ambivalent, considering China's recent freezing of relations with DPRK and the fact that a large amount of Koreans loathe Japan and Abe far more than the behemoth to their West.

Japan is quite Sino-skeptic.  But China and Russia are very different beasts.  The PRC is no longer a state regime in the traditional sense.  They are a giant corporation with an army.  They don't form alliances, they engage in business ventures.

No one has a problem with China as long as business is good.  The USA and Russia are still living in the Cold War, however, and haven't awoken to this reality.

I largely agree with you - I think Washington's obsession with them very groanworthy - but the transition from Hu (an ultra-bland technocrat) to Xi (more personality cult-y) has been pretty ominous (especially when nationalistic gangsters seem to be proliferating across Asia).

Japan is, yes, the most explicitly anti-PRC regional force. But I happen to think the LDP's monolithic rule is a lot more vulnerable than recent landslides suggest.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »

China is a different matter. Although its regional rivals dislike the Chinese, it's nothing compared to the resentment felt by Poland or the Baltic or Georgia towards Mother Russia. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that (aside from when DPP controls Taiwan) Washington is far more distrusting of Beijing than any other relevant power. There is no equivalent of Poland for example. Perhaps one can argue that recent conflict between Pakistan and India will bring New Delhi into diplomatic conflict with Islamabad's supposed sponsors but I'm sceptical (even if Modi's government has behaved characteristicly thuggishnessly in Nepal recently). Same with SE Asian powers like Indonesia and Vietnam. Even Korea is ambivalent, considering China's recent freezing of relations with DPRK and the fact that a large amount of Koreans loathe Japan and Abe far more than the behemoth to their West.

Japan is quite Sino-skeptic.  But China and Russia are very different beasts.  The PRC is no longer a state regime in the traditional sense.  They are a giant corporation with an army.  They don't form alliances, they engage in business ventures.

No one has a problem with China as long as business is good.  The USA and Russia are still living in the Cold War, however, and haven't awoken to this reality.

I largely agree with you - I think Washington's obsession with them very groanworthy - but the transition from Hu (an ultra-bland technocrat) to Xi (more personality cult-y) has been pretty ominous (especially when nationalistic gangsters seem to be proliferating across Asia).

Japan is, yes, the most explicitly anti-PRC regional force. But I happen to think the LDP's monolithic rule is a lot more vulnerable than recent landslides suggest.

I think whatever the ruling political party in Japan, they will never be pro-China insofar as they will be anti-American, or at least, desire to act independently of American foreign policy decisions. Basically the continued development of multipolarity.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »

I think whatever the ruling political party in Japan, they will never be pro-China insofar as they will be anti-American, or at least, desire to act independently of American foreign policy decisions. Basically the continued development of multipolarity.

To certain hawks, that may as well be pro-China as far as they're concerned.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies