District Five Tie

(1/8) > >>

Emsworth:
If the fifth District ends up tied, then there must be a way to choose one of the candidates. There cannot be a special election as there is no vacancy. Additionally, the Supreme Court cannot decide the question because there is no "dispute".

Therefore, the matter must go to the Forum. My argument is that the members of the forum are the source of the constitution and its authority. Since the constitution does not provide for a situation, the matter must go back to the People, that is, the Forum.

Therefore, I propose that, at the next weekend, an election be held with the entire Forum participating. The two candidates would be Steve and Lewis. Out of fairness, we cannot allow a third candidate, who does not have the support of his district, to take advantage of this opportunity; fairness is required by the Constitution. Therefore, only those two candidates, and no write-ins would be allowed.

I encourage other individuals to put forward their viewpoints on the matter, and also to indicate if they agree or disagree with me.

Gustaf:
I disagree. It would be unfair to the citizens of district 5, who have done nothing to deserve this, if they are deprived of their right toi choose their representative. I instead think that a re-run should be held and that the seat is vacant since no one won it.

Fmr. Gov. NickG:

I thought this is exactly how we had agreed to resolve ties in some past thread, but I can't find it in the Constitution.    

Anyway, I support this proposal.

BTW, I believe most American jurisdictions resolve ties by a coin flip or other random method, but of course, an actual undisputed almost tie never happens.  Any election that even comes close to a tie usually ends up in the courts.

Fmr. Gov. NickG:

Just to clarify, I meant I support Emsworth's proposal, not Gustaf's.

MAS117:
I could go with Emsworth, however in real elections the decision goes to the House, or in this case the Senate. Maybe the Senate should, after the Supreme Court validates each vote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page