Worst Democratic President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Worst Democratic President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
Wilson

FDR

Truman

Kennedy

LBJ

Carter

Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Worst Democratic President  (Read 16843 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2005, 03:22:49 PM »

Why do people hate Carter so much? He did some really stupid things, yes, but he also deregulated industries, lessened the federal War on Drugs, pardoned the draft dodgers, legalized home brewing, and installed Volcker as chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Don't get me wrong; he completely deserved the landslide defeat. But he was probably the most harmless Democrat of the 20th century.

Well (to use a Reaganism), Carter had the Midas touch in reverse.  Everything he touched turned to $#!^

Lets review by category:

Foreign Policy - Carter started off by noting that past Presidents had exhibited a fear/loating of the Soviet Union which he did not share.  The result was Soviet expansionism throughout the world.

Defense Policy - Despite being an Annapolis graduate, Carter exhibited a loathing for the Armed Forces, and repeatedly attacked them in a number of ways, including providing increases for civil service compensation by opposing increases for armed service personnel compensation. 

Economic Policy - Carter had a number of policies (including his nutty energy policy) which resulted in double digit inflation.  Not since the great depression was American in such bad economic shape.

Social Policy - Carter attempted an end run around Congress by using the FTC to bring about gun control and banning natural food supplements.  He managed the incredible of bringing righties and lefties together in opposition.

I could go on and on and on about his many stupid polcies and the disasterous results for the country.  He may have meant well, but the results were awful.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »

Carter, closely followed by LBJ, even though I like both.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2005, 06:07:23 PM »

Wilson
Bugs

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2005, 10:23:18 PM »

Although I disagree with much of Clinton's social policies, I would have to say that Carter was the worst president. 

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »

JIMBO CARTER, BABY!!!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2005, 09:15:06 PM »

Best to worst:

James Polk
Grover Cleveland
Franklin Pierce
John Kennedy
Jimmy Carter
Harry Truman
Martin Van Buren
Andrew Johnson
Andrew Jackson
Bill Clinton
James Buchanan
Lyndon Johnson
Woodrow Wilson
Franklin Roosevelt
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2005, 10:19:34 PM »

Carter, with Wilson as a not so distant second.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »

Wilson
skybridge
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2005, 02:33:59 PM »

They were all alright but I voted Carter. Good guy, great ex-president, but unfortunately not a real effective president.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2005, 11:17:43 AM »

FDR. Wilson in second, Johnson in third.

Carter was a pretty harmless president.

^^

yeah, Carter was a crummy president, but not horribly destructive to our country like FDR, Wilson, or Johnson.
WiseGuy

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2005, 11:20:01 AM »

It was tough deciding between Carter, LBJ, and FDR, but FDR gets my vote.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2005, 07:47:22 AM »

From them, it would have to be Carter. I like him personally, but as president he was rather weak and ineffective

Dave
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2005, 06:01:27 PM »

Wilson-

imposed nations first graduated income tax

Federal Reserve Act

Federal trade commision

Clayton anti-trust act- recognized trade unions and strikes as legal.

Adamson Act-mandated railroad workers as 8 hour day

Fourteen Points plan

RJ
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »

I voted for(against) LBJ. Viet Nam was just a disgrace and virtually running Humphrey's campaign really planted the seeds of disaster for Democrats for years to come.

I have the feeling if Wilson were around today, he'd be very polarizing. What do you say about a guy who introduced formal diplomatic relations with European powers and getting involved in a war on European soil,  moves Washington warned against when he left office? What about his complete lack of recognition of minority rights? He certainly wouldn't fit in with the Democratic party today, or even the Republican for that matter.

I couldn't give the nod to Carter either. I think if people had actually listened to him and were mindful of things like energy conservation we'd be better off. He also took a serious hit on that rescue business although it wasn't his fault all together. He certainly seemed to be the wrong person for the job at that time.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2005, 05:07:03 AM »

I voted for(against) LBJ. Viet Nam was just a disgrace and virtually running Humphrey's campaign really planted the seeds of disaster for Democrats for years to come.

I have the feeling if Wilson were around today, he'd be very polarizing. What do you say about a guy who introduced formal diplomatic relations with European powers and getting involved in a war on European soil,  moves Washington warned against when he left office? What about his complete lack of recognition of minority rights? He certainly wouldn't fit in with the Democratic party today, or even the Republican for that matter.

I couldn't give the nod to Carter either. I think if people had actually listened to him and were mindful of things like energy conservation we'd be better off. He also took a serious hit on that rescue business although it wasn't his fault all together. He certainly seemed to be the wrong person for the job at that time.

Carter was the wrong person for the job at any time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2005, 07:31:01 AM »

I voted for(against) LBJ. Viet Nam was just a disgrace

Maybe so, but it wasn't LBJ's fault; he was totally clueless about foriegn policy and generally did whatever he was told (in complete contrast to just about everything else where he was very much in control; just about his entire legislative agenda passed through Congress. Shame that some parts of it weren't thought through enough, but it was an impressive achievement no matter how you look at it).
If you must blame a President for Vietnam, blame Eisenhower. If you must blame a Democratic President for Vietnam, blame St Kennedy of Brookline.

The sheer brutality and untruthfulness of the repeated attacks on LBJ by the liberal left is way out of all proportion and extremely unfair.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you seriously blaming LBJ for the Donkey blowing up in Chicago?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2005, 09:08:32 AM »

Of those listed, Wilson. Clinton a close second. But they were all better than most 19th century Democrat presidents. Though not necessarily better men. (Going by personal character rather than presidency, imy vote goes to Kennedy btw.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2005, 02:22:43 PM »

Of those listed, Wilson. Clinton a close second. But they were all better than most 19th century Democrat presidents. Though not necessarily better men. (Going by personal character rather than presidency, imy vote goes to Kennedy btw.)

Why Clinton?  Because peace and prosperity are so bad?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »

Peace? In the 90s? Where? Prosperity off stolen goods.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2005, 02:26:28 PM »

Peace? In the 90s? Where? Prosperity off stolen goods.

NAFTA is stealing goods?  Otherwise I don't know what you mean.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »

Continuing First world prosperity is based - in fact, dependent - in large part on unfair trade practices, was what I was saying. It wasn't aimed specifically at Clinton, but generally at measuring the quality of a First World statesman by the state of the economy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2005, 02:32:36 PM »

I understand.  You want to end free trade and hinder the first world economies on the basis of unethical exploitation of third world labor and goods.  I don't believe we should hurt our economies to potentially acheive a better life for Kim-Yang in a sweatshop in Laos--but that's just me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2005, 02:35:44 PM »

I understand.  You want to end free trade and hinder the first world economies on the basis of unethical exploitation of third world labor and goods.
No. I don't want to end free trade, I can't end free trade, there is no free trade right now. 
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oh, but I do. I realize it's asking too much, though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2005, 02:41:44 PM »

I find it admirable that you care more about others that you will never meet half-a-world away, but I feel differently.  I'd rahter have my money (as would the majority of first-world residents).

Honestly, I do find it admirable, I'm not being sarcastic.  It's kind of like the vegetarians who refuse to eat meat because they don't want animals killed.

But we're getting off topic.  Good luck to you, Lewis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2005, 03:17:42 PM »

I find it admirable that you care more about others that you will never meet half-a-world away, but I feel differently.  I'd rahter have my money (as would the majority of first-world residents).

Honestly, I do find it admirable, I'm not being sarcastic.  It's kind of like the vegetarians who refuse to eat meat because they don't want animals killed.

But we're getting off topic.  Good luck to you, Lewis.
I do hope to go to Laos some day. And I have lived in a poor neighborhood in India for months, which of course influences my position.
(And I am a vegetarian who refuses to eat meat because I don't want animals raised in captivity all their lives before getting killed. I got no problem with the killing of animals itself - that's an inevitable fact of life.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies