What if electoral votes were assigned to congressional districts - not states?

(1/4) > >>

abruzzi:
First, if this has been kicked around to death, I apologize.

But I have searched my mind for a way to maintain the existing electoral "balance" (or imbalance, depending on point of view) while eliminating some of the more obvious negative aspects of the electoral college.

It occurred to me that if each electoral vote were "won" or "lost" depending on the outcome of the Presidential vote IN EACH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT, that we would reduce to near zero the chance of a minority of the popular vote electing a president.  At the same time, there would be no gross reallocation of electoral power among the states.

We would be eliminating the worst aspects of winner take all state by state allocation of electoral votes, and at the same time avoid (but not entirely eliminate) the incentive for vote fraud that would attend direct election -- indeed that exists now a la Chicago and Illinois 1960 model.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DATA BASE THAT TRACKS -- BY CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT -- THE OUTCOME OF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS, HOPEFULLY BACK TO DAY ONE??????????

Gustaf:
Well...it would've increased Bush's majority in 2000. So I'm afraid it wouldn't really work the way one would've hoped.

JohnFKennedy:
Quote from: Gustaf on April 25, 2004, 07:35:28 AM

Well...it would've increased Bush's majority in 2000. So I'm afraid it wouldn't really work the way one would've hoped.

unless you are a Republican. :P

Gustaf:
Quote from: JohnFKennedy on April 25, 2004, 07:45:40 AM

Lol, his point was that it would lead to higher correlation between winning the PV and the EV.

JohnFKennedy:
Quote from: Gustaf on April 25, 2004, 07:49:10 AM

Quote from: JohnFKennedy on April 25, 2004, 07:45:40 AM

Lol, his point was that it would lead to higher correlation between winning the PV and the EV.

I know, but if "one" is a Republican, I am sure they would be happy, lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page