Which things in Debate #1 hurt Trump the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:14:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which things in Debate #1 hurt Trump the most?
defended why he was sued by the Justice Department for not giving housing to African-Americans in the 1970's by saying "everyone else was doing it"

defended calling some women pigs and slobs

defended hoping for a recession in 2006/7, because it was "good for business"

defended singling out President Obama on his birth certificate

was confused about nuclear weapons and alliances

refused to release his tax returns, and was proud about using loopholes that only help the wealthy, calling himself "smart" for not paying any taxes

defended not paying people for their work

said we're in a 3rd-world-country because he can't land his private jet at every airport

called for a law ruled unconstitutional to go nationwide

said it was a good thing for Russia to hack us

doesn't think blowing up people from other countries (because they were rude) would start a war

was supremely obnoxious

only offering the old "trickle down" policies to help us, and thought repeating certain words made him look tough when he looked panicky

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which things in Debate #1 hurt Trump the most?  (Read 1787 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »

1. defended why he was sued by the Justice Department for not giving housing to African-Americans in the 1970's by saying "everyone else was doing it"

2. defended calling some women pigs and slobs

3. defended hoping for a recession in 2006/7, because it was "good for business"

4. defended singling out President Obama on his birth certificate

5. was confused about nuclear weapons and alliances

6. refused to release his tax returns, and was proud about using loopholes that only help the wealthy, calling himself "smart" for not paying any taxes

7. defended not paying people for their work

8. said we're in a 3rd-world-country because he can't land his private jet at every airport

9. called for a law ruled unconstitutional to go nationwide

10. said it was a good thing for Russia to hack us

11. doesn't think blowing up people from other countries (because they were rude) would start a war

12. was supremely obnoxious

13. only offering the old "trickle down" policies to help us, and thought repeating certain words made him look tough when he looked panicky

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:45:26 PM »

Worst thing was his facial expressions and interruptions, IMO. Gonna kill him with those angry suburban women. NH is now likely the safest state in the country for Clinton, and Pennsylvania is also gone for Trump.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:09 PM »

None of them would've made a major difference on their own. It's the combination of them, his general temperament during it, and Hillary's decent performance that led to his loss.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »

All of the above but the stop-and-frisk moment is when he started to unravel.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:52:02 PM »

I think that the concern of birtherism would easily have hurt him the most
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »

Where is "defending a worker who he stiffed of wages owed because 'maybe he didn't do a good job'".
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »

Where is "defending a worker who he stiffed of wages owed because 'maybe he didn't do a good job'".
Tongue
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 12:04:02 AM »

All he talked about was his business success when asked about major social issues. His lack of empathy was as apparent as his lack of preparation.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »

On a personal level, I'd say the birther nonsense was the most intellectually offensive to me. Him basically admitting that he doesn't pay any federal income tax ("that's just smart") was pretty bad too. But if I was cutting Hillary's attack ads, "that's just business" is the clip I'd use. It was very nearly the worst possible answer one could give when accused of hoping the housing market would collapse. There's a correct way to state the sentiment Trump was trying to express, and that was not it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »

How about constantly claiming that he was against the Iraq War and accusing Holt of being wrong for claiming that he was for it? That could've been minor, but he just dug himself into a deeper and deeper hole.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »

How about constantly claiming that he was against the Iraq War and accusing Holt of being wrong for claiming that he was for it? That could've been minor, but he just dug himself into a deeper and deeper hole.

That was the one that devolved into Hannitt and 'I have the best temperment.', right?
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 12:13:27 AM »

Birther thing easily. A lot of what you mentioned didn't even hurt him.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:50:47 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 01:24:53 AM by Interlocutor »

That was the one that devolved into Hannitt and 'I have the best temperment.', right?

Yep. That Iraq defense was Trump's biggest fault, next to his poor answers regarding race & birtherism
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:57:55 AM »

Wasn't listed, but I think whining about being called names, despite how he's treated literally everyone else around him, certainly didn't help matters.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 01:01:40 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 01:23:01 AM by Adam T »

That it's becoming apparent to all but his idiot supporters, that despite having some genuine talent for marketing and promotion that he simply is kind of a moron.

1.He did no preparation for the debate, admitted it, and even seemed proud of it.  He seems to know absolutely nothing more about any major national issue now than when he started the campaign a year ago.  It's one thing to claim to be a 'non politician' and to have your idiot supporters and enablers consider your complete ignorance as a selling point, it's quite another to convince the majority of the American people, I think, that this is a good thing.

2.He continues to think that he can lie repeatedly (it's possible he actually believes what he says and genuinely doesn't believe he's lying) and still won't get called out on it.

3.He continues to whine about how he's been treated 'unfairly' as if he actually thinks that most voters give a rat's behind about how the campaign is going for him.

4.He contradicted himself on numerous occasions:
A.He referred to himself as a 'great businessman', who, unlike government employees, can get good deals, yet when asked to explained why he stiffed thousands of employees and contractors, he said "maybe they didn't do a good job."  But, he hired them (or, at least, his people hired them.) So, either he is a good businessman who can hire good people and get good deals, or he's just as 'bad' as he claims the government employees are.   Literally, both of these can not be true.

B.Mario Canseco of polling firm Insights West pointed this out:  Trump said that not paying taxes was the 'smart thing to do' as the government just wastes the money.  However, he also complained about Japan, South Korea and the NATO nations not paying their fair share for 'U.S protection.'  
Aren't they just doing 'the smart thing'?

C.Claimed he can't release his tax returns due to their being audited, and that he wanted to release them and would 'eventually' or maybe he said 'soon.'  But then later said that he's been the subject of ongoing audits for many years now.

He added to this contradiction by claiming that he would release his taxes if Hillary Clinton released her deleted emails.  

I don't doubt that he was just B.S'ing to try and change the subject to the Clinton emails, but he clearly can't be serious about either offering to release them as per his attempted deal with Clinton or that he can't release them because they're being audited.

I had at least one more in mind when I started writing this, but I've forgotten it.  If I remember it I'll add it in.

I think the real secret of Donald Trump is that he simply is kind of stupid.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 02:16:01 AM »

Wow.
You must have been taking notes or something.
How can you remember all that ?
I think all of them hurt him. And I recall all of these on your list.
Good job.
8-)
egalitt
Russian Federation
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 05:00:41 AM »

The worst thing was that he appeared completely unprepared. The impression is he still doesn't take the campaign seriously to turn out a whipping boy.
mencken
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »

He should have been on the attack more. He did well when he tied his taxes to Clinton's emails, but seemed to back down in every argument after that.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 07:19:50 AM »

Unfortunately WON'T hurt him much, but it should... the time when he essentially said that he had never claimed climate change was a hoax propagated by China, when he demonstrably has said exactly that.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 07:29:36 AM »

None. On the long term Trump is on his way to the Presidency because Clinton is running as somewhere between a moderate Republican to a moderate Democrat, depending on foreign policy or economy.

How many words were said of Healthcare? Trump wants to throw millions off Healthcare?

Democrats should be ashamed about the quality of the debate policy wise, this was a Republican Debate. On the long term, Hillary's embrace of moderate agenda is going to hurt House & Senate Democrats as she is trying to portray the GOP as a good party with serious policies & Trump is a madman.

Trump will hit her hard on Wall Street to Iraq/Libya to Emails to Clinton Foundations on the next debate. Trump was surprisingly strong on the Birther, a complete racist stuff by him when he dragged Sidney & Hillary & tried to portray both as the same.

Democrats should be dissapointed that the Minimum Wage had such low focus, Healthcare was not brought up & Hillary Clinton has already dumped the Free Tuition plan for Debt free!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »

Temperament. (Not that they all weren't awful.) I was watching with a lot of people, a mix of Trumpers and non-Trumpers, and like the debate audience, the whole room exploded into laughter at that one.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »

I voted for one option only:  defended not paying people for their work.

But that's not really it.  Immediately after he said that he said our government shouldn't pay certain debts.  At that moment I knew he would lose the general election.

To be fair, I should say that I did not watch the entire debate.   About 25 minutes in I thought, "why am I watching this excrement?" and turned the channel.  It was all predictable.  Insincere posturing and faux charm in the beginning, giving way quickly to aggression and vitriol.  Trump was rude and obnoxious.  Clinton was condescending.  Few policy details were offered.  There was nothing I hadn't heard before regarding a legislative agenda.  Still, hearing Trump say that we should become welchers, live, in front of potentially 80 million people made me think he will not win any new supporters from here out, and probably will lose a few.

Clinton:  We have an architect in the audience who designed one of your clubhouses at one of your golf courses. It's a beautiful facility. It immediately was put to use. And you wouldn't pay what the man needed to be paid, what he was charging you to do--

Trump: Maybe he didn't do a good job and I was unsatisfied with his work.

Clinton: Well, to--

Trump: Which our country should do, too.

really?!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »

None. On the long term Trump is on his way to the Presidency because Clinton is running as somewhere between a moderate Republican to a moderate Democrat, depending on foreign policy or economy.

How many words were said of Healthcare? Trump wants to throw millions off Healthcare?

Democrats should be ashamed about the quality of the debate policy wise, this was a Republican Debate. On the long term, Hillary's embrace of moderate agenda is going to hurt House & Senate Democrats as she is trying to portray the GOP as a good party with serious policies & Trump is a madman.

Trump will hit her hard on Wall Street to Iraq/Libya to Emails to Clinton Foundations on the next debate. Trump was surprisingly strong on the Birther, a complete racist stuff by him when he dragged Sidney & Hillary & tried to portray both as the same.

Democrats should be dissapointed that the Minimum Wage had such low focus, Healthcare was not brought up & Hillary Clinton has already dumped the Free Tuition plan for Debt free!

I agree with this somewhat, which is why I placed among the top three his bragging about not paying taxes, and right after that hoping for a recession because it was good for business. What many people don't seem to realize is Trump's true Achilles heel - - well, beyond his personality and temperament of course - - is his economic policies. Other than vaguely yammering on about 3 negotiating better trade deals comma his economic policies are every bit as elitist is Mitt Romney's ever were, he just gets better press as a so-called friend of The Working Man. In reality though, his policies make Mitt Romney look like William Jennings Bryan. The more Clinton can hammer on that the more his working class base will weaken
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »

I agree with this somewhat, which is why I placed among the top three his bragging about not paying taxes, and right after that hoping for a recession because it was good for business. What many people don't seem to realize is Trump's true Achilles heel - - well, beyond his personality and temperament of course - - is his economic policies. Other than vaguely yammering on about 3 negotiating better trade deals comma his economic policies are every bit as elitist is Mitt Romney's ever were, he just gets better press as a so-called friend of The Working Man. In reality though, his policies make Mitt Romney look like William Jennings Bryan. The more Clinton can hammer on that the more his working class base will weaken

Yeah, it was odd that Trump did not respond to Clinton's comments that his tax plan was a big tax cut for the rich. Trump did not explain that cutting corporate taxes is not about a tax cut for the rich. Corporations are entities, that pass such costs on to the consumer. When such taxes are higher than in other nations, the US has a competitive disadvantage, due to a tax that is not really progressive. But then, all of that may be too complicated for Donald to understand, much less articulate. And yeah, probably some of his other tax planks are sops to high income taxpayers.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »

Any one of those was probably enough for Trump to lose the debate.  However if I was Kellyanne Conway (which thankfully I am not Smiley), the thing that would concern me most would be how easily "baited" Trump was.  He cannot help himself and will respond to any provocation, even if it is obviously a ploy.  Because of this, he gets off his talking points too easily (who cares about his 10 year old being good at computers, as opposed to NOT pointing out that his opponent privatized government cyber-communications).  Because of this, he will make more gaffes in the coming debates, and his "team" can't even counsel him.

So in essence, the main thing that hurts him is his "temperament".  What was his trademark to success until now will become his downfall.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies