Labor Policy vs. Automation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:59:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Labor Policy vs. Automation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Labor Policy vs. Automation  (Read 1016 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »

The luddite argument didn't prove to be true 150 years ago and it won't prove to be true this time. There will always be new sorts of demands that need to be fulfilled by actual people as the economy becomes more advanced.

I more or less agree.

Humans aren't horses. It's not like Apple or Home Depot will be making much money if everyone is unemployed and can't buy higher end electronics or do home renos. I think some of the more pessimistic lot out there sound a bit like Marxists in 1930; convinced the system is going fail with no idea of what's in store.

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be painful transitions. We should prepare for the effects of mass displacement.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:48 AM »

The luddite argument didn't prove to be true 150 years ago and it won't prove to be true this time. There will always be new sorts of demands that need to be fulfilled by actual people as the economy becomes more advanced.

I more or less agree.

Humans aren't horses. It's not like Apple or Home Depot will be making much money if everyone is unemployed and can't buy higher end electronics or do home renos. I think some of the more pessimistic lot out there sound a bit like Marxists in 1930; convinced the system is going fail with no idea of what's in store.

Of course that doesn't mean there won't be painful transitions. We should prepare for the effects of mass displacement.

I'm sure there will be new jobs created, but if something like McDonald's burger flipper can be fully automated then it will be more difficult for many of the less qualified people to find employment. Burger flipper may not be an immensely rewarding position, but there exists fundamental dignity in employment and the opportunity to move up to bigger and better things. The future I fear isn't exactly Judge Dredd, but it does threaten a deep and irrevocable stratification well beyond what we know today.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies