Priebus plans punishment in 2020/24 for people who didn't endorse Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:56:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Priebus plans punishment in 2020/24 for people who didn't endorse Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Priebus plans punishment in 2020/24 for people who didn't endorse Trump  (Read 2921 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »

I would ask the Democrats here just how they would have felt if in 1976 the Democrats nominated a Democrat who, explicitly, refused to endorse George McGovern in 1972.

Probably similar to how they'd feel if the Democrats in 1976 had nominated someone who'd said that LBJ should have been impeached.

Exactly. Because endorsing McGovern or Mondale is one's duty to the party. The "Republican = Trump" argument that dems are making is very hypocritical because dem leaders would expect everyone in their party to endorse someone obviously terrible as well.

If the Democrats nominated someone as bad as Trump, and the Republican candidate was better, I'd certainly want people to avoid endorsing that person.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »

I would ask the Democrats here just how they would have felt if in 1976 the Democrats nominated a Democrat who, explicitly, refused to endorse George McGovern in 1972.

Probably similar to how they'd feel if the Democrats in 1976 had nominated someone who'd said that LBJ should have been impeached.

Exactly. Because endorsing McGovern or Mondale is one's duty to the party. The "Republican = Trump" argument that dems are making is very hypocritical because dem leaders would expect everyone in their party to endorse someone obviously terrible as well.

If the Democrats nominated someone as bad as Trump, and the Republican candidate was better, I'd certainly want people to avoid endorsing that person.

YOU would, yes, I believe that, but I do not believe for a second that party leaders like Pelosi and Schumer would endorse a republican in that situation. It would be all "xxx scandal" or "SUPREME COURT" or "Fifth Bush Term!". Congress Critters would be forced to endorse the nominee, and punished if they steadfastly refused. Same thing is happening now with the GOP.

Pelosi and Schumer wouldn't, no. But if someone who didn't endorse that person wanted to run for President in the next cycle as a Democrat, I'd want them to have a fair chance. Let the voters decide.

Similarly, if in 2020 someone who had enthusiastically endorsed Republicans in every election as long as they'd been alive decided to run in the Democratic primary, I'd be cool with letting them do so. If the voters don't want that person, then they won't vote for them.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:21 AM »

Who cares? Principles are more important than personal ambition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies