Reality: There's a decent chance that the GOP will control the entire government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Reality: There's a decent chance that the GOP will control the entire government
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Reality: There's a decent chance that the GOP will control the entire government  (Read 1446 times)
JJC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

In this scenario, this GOP domination would go beyond the WH and Congress.  There would be another Scalia type appointed to SCOTUS, again giving the court a conservative majority.  Also, at the state level, most governors are and will be GOP, and the state legislatures are/will be overwhelmingly GOP.  And then there's the 2018 midterms, which typically feature conservative turnout and this particular midterm will feature a bad map for Dems.  Though this could be neutralized by liberal/moderate backlash against the Trumpublicans.

Overall, a complete Democratic dystopia.

The legislator advantage in the states for the GOP is often overlooked, despite bring pronounced. I remember some prognosticators mentioning that this was where dems were really hit the hardest in 2014.

GOP controlled legislators: 31 (23 with GOV control)
Dem controlled legislators: 11 (7 with GOV control)
Split: 8
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »

Booker is too much of a pro-Wall Street, hawkish Democrat for me. More so than Clinton, who I think is attacked to unfairly for this by fellow Liberals, considering she is where the median Democratic pol is. But I can see more fiscally conservative Democrats and African Americans supporting Booker.

This describes the overwhelming majority of this Democratic Party.

Let's just call them what they really are: The Republican Party, Part II.

One poster on another thread, thinking it's all dandy, wants the status quo because to change to a Bernie-type Democratic Party—which is more in line with the Franklin Roosevelt/New Deal Democratic Party than the Bill Clinton/DLC/Third Way Democratic Party—would deliver huge Republican majorities in both houses of Congress.

Ahem... I don't "want" the status quo, I just don't think that THAT much of a rightward shove is a realistic pathway to electoral success. I do think that the party as a whole needs to take a stand against Citizens United and corporatism, and I do think that that is compatible with long-term success, but apart from that, I think that a moderate to center-left Democratic party is just fine, as long as we retain both more liberal and more moderate/conservative wings.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies