Do you want to have kids?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you want to have kids?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes/Already do

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Do you want to have kids?  (Read 9591 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2016, 07:43:59 AM »

Holy crap guys, calm down.  People that don't like kids are broken, we shouldn't make fun of them.

(don't get me wrong, kids are loud, annoying and selfish... some people just don't like the competition)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2016, 07:58:50 AM »

As shown in this thread, those who are against kids are literally one of the worst embodiments of humanity. More with selfish, let's say unsavory reasons at least.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2016, 08:30:23 AM »

The first two, twins, will be named James Tiberius and John Kennedy--Jim and Jack, for short. One after the greatest starship captain and the other after our greatest Catholic President. In order to spare them the uncertainty I face, they'll each be required to know one language, one instrument, play one sport, and possess a fourth, quasi-occupational hobby (underwater welding or programming, for example). I'll leave it to my future ex-wife to name the daughter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »

What did I just read?

Here's a wonderful thing. If you are like me an early 30 something and a lot of your friends have kids and they've waited until personal and financial situations are kind enough to them to allow them to have kids, then they love the sh-t out of them. But they also share on Facebook 'why kids are like drunk adults' memes. And they show me pictures of their kid sleeping in awkward poses, or their kid's twisted face before a fart. They find these things hilarious, because for them they are true. Places are starting to become more 'parent with child' friendly and people pass their children from person to person like a puppy. And people have a great time, and say how they can't wait until their kid is at school, or how their neighbours' kids are so annoying and you all help each other deal with sleepy babies and make tunnels with your legs so they can run about underneath you.

I have no idea what all this psychobabble angst was over these last two pages.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »

Again, that's not the attitude I take issue with, but I really don't want to restart this fracas.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »

Not surprising at all that Joe Republic doesn't like kids and feels awkward around them. Can't use mean spirited sarcasm and they don't care if you think you're so much smarter and better than everyone else.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »

I've tried to say twice now that what I take issue with is the use of those everyday jokes and annoyances as part of this fashionable 'children are terrible and I'm justified in hating them' script.

He obviously doesn't hate children Tongue He's lucky enough to have crazy nephews (and I'm still waiting) but children are generally 'terrible' when you're around them, they are supposed to be unpredictable and chaotic. It's better to leave that 'chaos' than try to control it. Especially if it involves someone else's kids. And kids are supposed to find adults weird, dull and boring. But yet here we all are.

As I said I get shared these idiotic jokes mostly from parents. In fact they love their kids so much they overshare them. It's how they get by.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »

In the future, maybe, but I'd need to be super confident in my potential parenting abilities (and financial stability) before I even considered it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »

Cool, Nathan's even whinier, almost as humorless, but just as reflexively offended sidekick.  As if on cue.

Cool, an ad hominem that completely fails to address the ridiculousness that I pointed out in your posts. Once again, someone who can't enjoy children is lecturing those who can about how to have fun.

Nathan is indeed my friend, and he also happens to be on the correct side of this discussion.

what the christ

The first two, twins, will be named James Tiberius and John Kennedy--Jim and Jack, for short. One after the greatest starship captain and the other after our greatest Catholic President.

You misspelled "Jean-Luc".
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »

The first two, twins, will be named James Tiberius and John Kennedy--Jim and Jack, for short. One after the greatest starship captain and the other after our greatest Catholic President.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »

Burn the heretic!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

I would certainly say that the wise, eloquent, firm but kind authority figure makes for a better captain than the brash, impulsive gambler with an overinflated ego, yes. That's what you meant, right? Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »

I would certainly say that the wise, eloquent, firm but kind authority figure makes for a better captain than the brash, impulsive gambler with an overinflated ego, yes. That's what you meant, right? Tongue

Sure, Picard is objectively the better captain, but that's not why most people I know watch Star Trek.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »

what the christ is this thread
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »

How come you've stopped supporting Trump?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2016, 12:31:10 PM by Jante's Law Revivalist »

Sure, Picard is objectively the better captain, but that's not why most people I know watch Star Trek.

I also think Picard makes for a great character. He can be badass, he can be moving and profound, he can be hilarious, and he can be terrifying as well. Not saying Kirk didn't have his great moments (Wrath of Khan is an amazing movie) but I didn't see as much depth and complexity to him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

In all seriousness, though, if I ever were to become a father, I'd prefer to have a daughter rather than a son. Not just because I consider girls supreme to boys, but because I just can see myself being just like my own father in father-son dynamics, and no thanks.

Btw, I kind of miss Bushie in moments like this. "I'm a proud father of two African children."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

I watch it for the double fist punches.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »

I also think Picard makes for a great character. He can be badass, he can be moving and profound, he can be hilarious, and he can be terrifying as well. Not saying Kirk didn't have his great moments (Wrath of Khan is an amazing movie) but I didn't see as much depth and complexity to him.

Isn't that partially just because Picard is played by a much better actor? I bet there'd be a lot less of a gap if one sat down and read the scripts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »

Isn't that partially just because Picard is played by a much better actor? I bet there'd be a lot less of a gap if one sat down and read the scripts.

That might be true. Admittedly I haven't seen any TOS episode, so my impression of Kirk isn't fully formed (though I've seen most of the movies and I tend to imagine that the flaws that annoy me in older Kirk would be even worse in younger Kirk). The actor is definitely part of what makes a character, though, even if I agree that the script is the most important part.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

I've made this point to people for years, but stick big hair and a bigger moustache on Patrick Stewart damn if he doesn't look like Ramsay MacDonald. C'mon there's a biopic just waiting to happen right there.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »

I've made this point to people for years, but stick big hair and a bigger moustache on Patrick Stewart damn if he doesn't look like Ramsay MacDonald. C'mon there's a biopic just waiting to happen right there.

I'd definitely watch that. Cheesy

(well, I'd watch almost anything with Patrick Stewart in it, but a MacDonald biopic would be interesting nonetheless)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

Guys can we all go back to this post for a moment because what the fu[Inks]
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »

Guys can we all go back to this post for a moment because what the fu[Inks]

id rather pretend this post doesn't exist tbh
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »

Thinking about this thread a bit more today, I remembered my original post here:

... and that when my friend shared that article, she received about a dozen 'likes', and then sparked an interesting comment-discussion between her and several of her friends who all agreed that, in a nutshell, they were tired of society trying to shame them for not wanting children.  It certainly resonated with me, too.

[#analysis]
I guess I find it interesting that society has a way to ensure the survival and growth of the human race, by shaming those who don't want to participate in reproduction (* the only basic instinct that an individual can ignore and still survive).

"You don't want children?  What's wrong with you?"
"You often feel awkward and uncomfortable around children?  Are you sick?!  Children are amazing!!"

You could even look at one aspect of the gay marriage debate.  "Of course you can't get married; you can't even reproduce!"  Then once people realized that gay parents can and do exist quite easily, the wall of opposition suddenly had another hole smashed through it.
[/#analysis]

This thread in particular also made me understand that there is a gaping gulf between the culture of my RL social circle and this forum community.  (I now know how BRTD feels...!)  I don't know yet if that's necessarily a good thing or not, but it's certainly making me wonder if I should give AAD another try...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies