The liberal Republic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:45:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107911 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« on: May 13, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »

Moscow I believe was actually also  Allied with Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_War

The Soviet Union wanted to contain Iran. Also, don't forget the deal Saddam signed in 1973
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »

Same here. I wonder how OSR will do the primaries, since for obvious reasons, there's no schedule available in Wikipedia.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 05:06:11 PM »

I confused you both.

And I refer to the Republican ones. Using the Democrats' schedule works best, with Jerry Brown being the presumptive nominee.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 04:17:42 PM »

April 8, 1983: Internal paper leaked: CoS Gray Davis seeks to primary out healthcare law opponents, President Brown denies existence of such a plan

Controversy at the White House: A leaked protocol from an internal strategy meeting headed by Chief of Staff Gray Davis reveals that he intends to primary challenge Democratic lawmakers in the House who opposed President Brown’s signature healthcare law during last month’s vote in which the bill was narrowly defeated. “We had the House and some Republican crossover support, yet a bunch of suckers blew it up”, Davis is quoted. The leaked paper also shows a drafted list of representatives voting against the American Healthcare Act and lists potential challengers for some on that list. An internal note also seems to confirm that the plan was presented to President Jerry Brown, who seemingly asked for more details.

Asked by a reporter during a brief tour through New York City, President Brown himself denied the existence of such plan. “We had lots of lists in advance to run through the numbers who may vote for it. A lot of that information was public long in advance”, the chief executive told the journalist in a personal exchange, “I’m not aware of any such plan.”

Chief of Staff Gray Davis was officially “out of town” during the first two weeks of April, citing family-related reasons. He declined to comment after his return to DC on April 16. However, another leaked paper from the DNC seems to confirm the initial claim and that Davis in particular was extremely upset over the vote.

April 15, 1983: President Brown names Harold Brown National Security Advisor, ditches Brzeziński

Weeks after Cyrus Vance’s resignation in protest, President Jerry Brown named Deputy Defense Secretary Harold Brown as successor. According to White House sources, Vice President Jimmy Carter suggested his own National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzeziński as new head of the National Security Office at 1600 Penn. However, after review, Brown rejected the proposal and picked Brown. Carter’s office formally denied such a suggestion ever existed, though two sources from within his office confirmed that. They also said that the president didn’t like Brzeziński too much. “He’s a self-promoter, who thinks he’s smarter than anybody else in the room”, Brown reportedly told his chief of staff, Gray Davis.

April 30, 1983: New Gallup poll

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 47% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▼

May 2 – 9, 1983: President Brown vetoes Bentsen-Dole Afghan Aid Act, congress overrules veto, arms embargo revoked

As expected, President Jerry Brown vetoed the Bentsen-Dole Afghan Aid Act on May 6, 1983, when it reached his desk. Senators Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) and Bob Dole (R-KS) introduced a new piece of legislation to overrule arms embargo announced by Brown in 1981 after a team of international journalists revealed a series of Soviet war crimes since the invasion began in 1979.

With these revelations, momentum was not on Brown’s side who continued to insist any delivery of weapons to local Afghan forces would not end the conflict. However, the senate overrode the veto on May 8 by a vote of 72 to 25. The House of Representatives quickly followed on May 9 with a 326 to 103 vote. Subsequently, the bill became law without Brown’s signature. It was the first time a veto by Brown didn’t sustain.

In a first reaction, the White House expressed criticism of the decision. Neither a spokesman for the president nor Defense Secretary Edmund Muskie commented on how to implement the law.

May 14, 1983: Senator Paul Laxalt announces presidential campaign; the conservative frontrunner?

The 1984 presidential campaign has de facto begun, with a heavyweight announcing his bid: Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada, a Reagan confidant and member of the conservative wing of his party, officially released a statement that he was indeed running for president. “In a critical time for America, when conservative leadership is more needed than ever, I have decided to seek the Republican nomination for president”, the statement reads. The Nevada senator, who also served as governor while Reagan was his counterpart in neighboring California, has lately been second in polls after Howard Baker, who is considered a more moderate Republican. Baker, Reagan’s 1980 running mate, has not confirmed or denied a bid for the White House, but is widely considered to enter the race in the coming months.

Laxalt gave an informal campaign speech the next day, on May 15, though an official kick-off rally in Las Vegas is scheduled for June 5. The Laxalt campaign also announced that the senator would soon present a far-reaching tax reform plan similar to Reagan’s in 1980, seeking to implement major tax cuts and deregulation measures.

Meanwhile, President Jerry Brown is expected to launch his official reelection campaign at some time during the fall, sources say. So far, the incumbent is not expected to face serious competition of the Democratic nomination.

Late May 1983: “Make Gerald Ford president again!” Prominent moderate Republicans led by David Rockefeller launch draft-committee to promote Ford candidacy

With the presidential contest for 1984 on the horizon, various Republican groups look for probable candidates to challenge President Jerry Brown. With the current occupant of the White House now again appearing more vulnerable than at the time of the midterms, observers expect a larger Republican field of at least a dozen serious contenders. Although Senator Howard Baker (R-TN), Reagan’s running mate in 1980, seemed to emerge as the leading contender of the moderate GOP wing, a lot of former Rockefeller confidants and administration officials looked for alternatives.

In late May, a draft-committee led by billionaire financier and businessman David Rockefeller, brother of late President Nelson Rockefeller, formed to call upon ex-President Gerald Ford to seek the presidency in his own right in 1984. [Nelson] Rockefeller’s vice president and successor, who stepped aside in 1980 after stiff competition from Reagan, remains the most popular living Republican according to polls.

An essay published in various American newspapers on May 29 and 30 called upon the former president to run. “We believe in principals of pragmatic governance that seeks to balance interests of labor and business, promote civil rights, and preserve freedoms from excessive government while granting protection for the most vulnerable. We believe in a strong defense, strong American power overseas and growing economy at home. We also believe in fiscal responsivity and accountability”, the essay reads, “and while we recognize that the conservative wing is vital to the Republican Party and has valid concerns, we also believe that too strong pandering to the right is not going to win a national election. An election we need to win after the leadership failure of President Brown. While we see engaged and talented Republican candidates, we also believe that the best possible person to fulfill this mission of defeating President Brown and restoring true American greatness is President Gerald R. Ford. Therefore, we urge the Honorable Gerald R. Ford to declare his candidacy for the presidency of the United States and we urge you to support him.”

The essay is co-signed by several Republican politicians, both current and former.

Sources familiar with Rockefeller say that the late president’s brother was building a campaign infrastructure nationwide that Ford could immediately rely upon announcing a bid. However, it would lend its support to another moderate candidate and moderate down ballot candidates should Ford decide against another bid for the Oval Office.

“I’m humbled by their support, but it’s not on my mind”

Gerald Ford himself quickly responded to the news and confirmed that Rockefeller informed him in advance over the essay. However, the former president said he had no plans to return to public office. “I’m humbled by their support, but it’s not on my mind”, he said and added that he hardly sees a scenario that would change his mind. “I’ve been there, it has been a stressful but very humbling experience. We got good Republican candidates, I think, and I’m glad to throw my support to anyone who’s our nominee in the end.” He declined to directly criticize President Brown by name though.

May 31, 1983: New Gallup poll

Approve: 45% ▼
Disapprove: 45% ▬

I thought Laxalt was a moderate
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 10:26:10 AM »

September 1, 1983: World shell-shocked after USSR shots down Korean civilian airliner, killing 269

Korean Air Lines Flight 007, scheduled from New York City to Seoul via Anchorage, was shot down by a Soviet fighter jet. Following an apparent navigational mistake made by the Boeing 747, the airliner deviated from its original planned route and flew through Soviet prohibited airspace around the time of a U.S. aerial reconnaissance mission. The Soviet Air Forces treated the unidentified aircraft as an intruding U.S. spy plane, and destroyed it with air-to-air missiles, after firing warning shots which were probably not seen by the pilots. The plane eventually crashed in the sea near Moneron Island west of Sakhalin in the Sea of Japan. All passengers and crew, 269, aboard were killed.

The Soviet government initially denied knowledge of the incident, but days later admitted shooting down the aircraft, claiming that it was a possible spy mission. Sources from within the Brown Administration claimed that the Shriver State Department issued not only a protest note, but also told the Soviet Ambassador during a secret meeting that the accusation was “completely false”. While not confirming such a meeting, a spokesman for the White House confirmed that Secretary Shriver sent diplomatic protest note. Later on, a source says that the ambassador told Shriver the military response was probably an error, confirming leaked US intel documents.

President Brown resists massive pressure to sanction Moscow, rejects proposals to close US air space for Soviet airlines

Although President Jerry Brown and members of his administration criticized the Soviet Union in the most starkest terms, the president on September 7 formally rejected calls to close American air space for civilian Soviet planes. “I understand the passions behind this, it would just not be a rational decision. And as president, I’m elected to make rational decisions”, the chief executive said, “it won’t bring back a single life that is lost. Way important is full transparency and my administration is prepared to take steps that will happen.” Asked by a reporter what measures he would take instead, the president declined.

A number of lawmakers including from his own party repeatedly called upon Brown to close US airspace for any Soviet airplanes and also demanded additional sanctions. The administration has resisted these calls, with Secretary of State Sargent Shriver saying this was not a time for “rushed actions” after a supposedly terrible accident. Following his statement, more than a dozen GOP congressmen called upon his resignation.

Presidential hopeful Paul Laxalt on the offensive: Brown is a “useful idiot for the Politburo”

Senator Paul Laxalt during first presidential rally in New Hampshire attacked President Brown for his response on Korean Air Lines Flight 007. “Hundreds of lives lost for nothing but Soviet warmongering, yet the president has nothing but empty words. The people will remember when they go to the polls”, the senator told supporters at a Concord rally. “I don’t like saying it, my friends, but we have approached a point in which the president of the United States is a useful idiot for the Politburo. It’s a sad and necessary conclusion after the most recent days.”

All other GOP contenders strongly attacked Brown as well, though Laxalt used the starkest terms among them.

Asked for a response on Laxalt's remarks, President Brown just said: "Why would I be surprised to hear this from a Republican officeseeker?"

Senator Lloyd Bentsen: Regrets among Democrats over not nominating me in 1980 soar, Brown allies fire back

Ever since losing the Democratic nomination to Brown, Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) remained a skeptic of the administration and has repeatedly opposed some Brown’s policies and nominees before the senate. During an exchange with a CBS reporter on September 8, Bentsen said that some of his Democratic colleagues in congress as well as a few governors, without mentioning names, told him they felt the party made a mistake by not nominating him in 1980. “They think we wouldn’t have had such an election drama in the first place, as I would have beaten Reagan outright. And more importantly, they say I would have been a superior president.” Asked whether he would consider to challenge the president in 1984, Bentsen denied and quickly changed subject. However, some observers claim that Bentsen is actually weighing his chances, especially once a new economic report is about to be published at the end of September, shortly after President Brown is expected to launch his official reelection campaign.

Senator Bentsen’s comments made some waves in DC, with Brown allies quickly coming to his defense. White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis dismissed the comments, even telling a reporter that the Texas senator was “way over his head.” Senator Geraldine Ferraro (D-NY) criticized her colleague: “The spirit of a teamplayer looks different. You’re not running from the president to prop up your own ambitions just because you think he’s wrong on a particular question. There are legitimate reasons to question his judgement on what happened on September 1, but Senator Bentsen needs to leave 1980 behind and help us win ’84.”

September 9, 1983: Transportation Secretary Ruckelshaus resigns in protest

The fallout from President Jerry Brown’s response to Korean Air Lines Flight 007 continues: Transportation Secretary William Ruckelshaus formally submitted his resignation in response of recent developments. “I have come to the difficult conclusion that I cannot continue to serve”, the statement reads in part.

Aside Energy Secretary John Anderson, Ruckelshaus was the only other Republican to serve at a cabinet-level position in the Brown Administration. Previously, he held other positions such as EPA Director during the presidencies of Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford. In a formal statement, the White House regretted his decision. A timetable for a replacement was not given, only that President Brown would “swiftly submit a name to the senate for confirmation.”

An US Representative, Larry McDonald was aboard
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 02:50:54 PM »

In reality, yes, but remember some things are different from reality in a TL.
Macdonald would probably switch to the GOP
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 02:41:15 PM »

September 12, 1983

BREAKING: President Brown formally launches reelection bid in San Francisco

After weeks of preparations, the plain obvious was official now: President Jerry Brown formally announced his reelection bid. Joined by Vice President Carter, First Lady Linda Ronstadt and Second Lady Rosalyn Carter, the official kick-off rally of the Brown/Carter campaign was held in San Francisco. “Humbled by the honor to serve as your president, I am asking my fellow Americans to renew your trust and confidence in me and Vice President Carter as we seek to continue serving our great nation for another four years”, the president told a crowd of over 10,000. The chief executive highlighted his accomplishments in office, staying at peace, but remained relatively vague about his agenda. However, he explicitly talked about the failed healthcare bill and emphasized to try again after winning reelection. Vice President Carter said there was a great chance to make the 80s a decade of unprecedented progress during a second term. First Lady Linda Ronstadt called her husbands administration the “most transparent in history” and called for the need to reform federal aid to education.

Brown’s official kickoff comes after weeks of setbacks and bad press, especially with deteriorating relations to the USSR. His standing was further drag down by a weakening economic recovery. Brown campaign officials told some journalists attending that the campaign hopes to “turn things around” in the coming months. They also hope to shut down some noise around Senator Lloyd Bentsen, who recently stated some fellow Democrats urged him to run against Brown.

BONUS: President Jerry Brown and Vice President Jimmy Carter sit down for exclusive interview after launching reelection campaign

After a campaign stomp through California until September 16, President Jerry Brown and his running mate, Vice President Jimmy Carter, sat down for an exclusive interview with CBS’ own Dan Rather after returning to Washington DC on September 17. The broadcast reached over 25 million viewers. The interview took place in the Blue Room of the White House.

Dan Rather: Welcome to our program, Mr. President, welcome to you as well, Mr. Vice President. I’m delighted to have you here for an exclusive interview.

President Brown: Thank you, my pleasure. Welcome to the White House!

Vice President Carter: Thank you as well.

Dan Rather: Mr. President, it has been a rough couple of months, especially with our relations toward the Soviet Union. Opponents and even member of your own party heavily criticized your policies towards Moscow. Do you think that’s justified?

President Brown: Listen, Dan, what happened before the Soviet Ambassy a few months ago was horrible. More horrible than you could imagine. What happened with Korea Air Lines 007 was a tragedy of epic proportions. Intention is secondary at best. I understand all the passions, the anxiety and quite frankly the anger from it. I really do. Nonetheless, as president, it is my solemn responsibility to react with rational measures and not be guided by pure feelings. I’m in a position of major responsibility. Dealing with violations of the Soviets always require a careful evaluation of responses between necessary determination and recklessness. The line between them is sometimes very thin.

Dan Rather: But after all, you’re a human being.

President Brown: I can hardly describe how much these losses hurt me. And how frustrated I am. The attacks on me pretending I was somehow not caring are just political theater. I don’t intend to participate with this kind of stuff.

Vice President Carter: If I might add, the president is absolutely right. However, neither he nor I have any desire to respond to the attacks, especially from politicians who seek to run against us. We’re not using tragedies as political punching ball between different camps. These tragedies were American tragedies. As for the campaign, we need to focus on issues and real substances.

Dan Rather: We could continue talking about this, however, in light of limited time, I’d like to move to a more general question on foreign policy: Mr. President, how do you see our relationship with the USSR ongoing?

President Brown: It has always been a difficult relationship with some highs and many lows. We need to continue calling out their shameless violations of international law and human rights. And we need to make sure our own defense remains so strong and powerful that we can protect ourselves and our allies from Soviet expansion desires. Nonetheless, we always need to prioritize diplomacy instead of endless arms races and other confrontations. You see a number of successes here, especially with the cease fire between Iran and Iraq. I’m confident we can work out a lasting peace agreement in the coming months.

Dan Rather: You mentioned defense. The Republicans and some Democrats say you’re neglecting it. You vetoed the latest Defense Authorization Act and risked a government shutdown. You, Vice President Carter, said GOP lawmakers were unserious in their budget demands. What did you mean by that?

Vice President Carter: Dan, what I meant was, that the Republicans, aided by some of our Democratic friends, tried to deliberately send a bill the president only could veto. The Budget increase for the Pentagon was way over what the Department themselves asked for. We’ve managed to reduce the budget deficit every single year since taking office after the Ford Administration left a deficit of over 350 billion. We’re down to 100 billion. Not a single request from the Pentagon for new weaponry was denied under this administration.

President Brown: The vice president just said it. It was just another blatant attempt to play politics. I’m not here to do that.

Dan Rather: Mr. President, Americans would want to know about your second term agenda, especially here at home. You remained vague in your announcement speech this week. Can you tell our viewers more?

President Brown: We’re actively working on it and will release plans over the coming months. What I always said is that the healthcare law we could not pass, unfortunately, will be a priority. As New York shows, this can do so much good. Let’s fulfill what Roosevelt and Johnson begun. Another major item on my agenda is a tax reform that asks the upper incomes to pay slightly more, while middle class folks get a tax break. We got a smaller reform done in 1981, but we needed Republican support. I will also specify our energy independence plan and introduce a major reform for public lands to protect our environment. I’m also proposing a reform of the Labor Standards Act to protect workers, make it easier to form a union and repeal this goddamn awful Taft-Hartley-Bill.

Vice President Carter: One more thing: These measures the president just talked about, especially healthcare, are popular. But in order to get them done, we ask the people not only to give us a new mandate, we also ask everyone to support reform-minded candidates that support these plans. We need a robust alliance with enough lawmakers. We need the numbers to pass it. And we can get them.

Dan Rather: I’m sure we will hear more on that soon. I would like to move to the campaign itself. Obviously you’re not telling us about your preferred opponent.

Vice President Carter: (laughs) Of course not. But jokes aside, we just let the process at the other side play out its way.

Dan Rather: I’m sure you’re all aware of that ‘Draft Ford’ Campaign launched by David Rockefeller and other former officials. Former president Gerald Ford apparently wants to announce his decision whether to run or not at any time now. Looking at the polls, they paint a clear picture: While you’re neck-in-neck or leading potential GOP challengers, they also show Mr. Ford easily beating you. Is President Ford the opponent you most fear?

President Brown: We don’t “fear” anybody. We do take any competition seriously, however. No doubt about that. I’m fully aware of the campaign initiated by Mr. Rockefeller and his allies. Whether the former president throws his hat into the ring is solely upon him and his family. What I do believe is that his current poll numbers reflect that he is broadly popular as an elder statesman figure. Whether that would hold in a feisty campaign? You tell me? What I can say is that I have a lot of personal respect for President Ford and his family. Should he reengage into the political process by running, I will gladly point out our differences in policies. Just as with any other opponent. I stand by my record.

Dan Rather: Alright, one final question to both of you: Imagine it’s January 20, 1985, the day your second terms begin. You’ve just won another four years in this building. Whose attendance would you value the most? Please name someone who’s not a family member?

President Brown: Robert Kennedy. He has always been a great inspiration to me in all the roles he has held over the years. A true champion for ordinary Americans.

Vice President Carter: Coretta Scott King. She’s done incredible work over the last few years as I met her at home in Georgia.

President Brown: By the way, we have legislation discussed to make Dr. King’s birthday a federal holiday. I again urge congress to send this bill to my desk, I’ll gladly sign it right away.

Dan Rather: Thanks to both of you. A great honor. See you soon.

Loving your timeline. I hope you continue up to 2020, with breaks if possible
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »

October 1, 1983

BREAKING: Gerald Ford announces candidacy for US president

+++ Long awaited decision on 1984: Former president launches campaign to reclaim White House +++

+++ Ford says he runs to “restore American greatness”, promises fair campaign and detailled policy proposals

+++ Rivals weigh in, mostly positive press voices +++

The month of October started off with a major political headline, perhaps the biggest of the 1984 cycle before a single ballot is cast. On September 30, the office of former President Gerald Ford invited a group of 25 journalists of all major papers and broadcasts to his California office for a “major announcement”. The podium already prepared, with many flags in the background a Ford banner (“Gerald R. Ford ’84 – Restore American greatness”), it became evident that the former chief executive was indeed running to reclaim his old job that he ascended from Nelson Rockefeller in May 1979 and had to quit less than two years later. Steven Ford, the president’s son, introduced his father in the morning hours. The event was scheduled as a simple statement, not a rally or press conference.

Steven Ford: Ladies and Gentlemen, I am deeply honored to introduce to you a man who has dedicated his life to serving America. A man of honor, dignity and commitment. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my father, President Gerald R. Ford.

President Ford: Thank you very much, thank you so much. Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to all of you. I hope the ad-hoc announced event didn’t cause y’all too many scheduled issues. So thank you again. I am appearing here today to make a major announcement, as you can see. [laughter from audience] In recent weeks and months, I have received an immense number of requests to reengage in the political discourse, as you all are well aware. Betty, my entire family and I were extremely moved by that level of support and encouragement I received. Indeed, we never expected anything like this remotely possible. Let me say that I did not plan to return to public office after leaving it after more than 30 years of service to our nation. As congressman, vice president and president. Nonetheless, the encouragement of all these people, including many ordinary Americans – not only individuals affiliated with the Republican Party – was not something I could not take lightly. Neither will I. Indeed, I feel a deep commitment to address their concerns and do whatever I can to make sure our nation is prospering. Your concerns are mine as well.

My fellow Americans, our country faces unprecedented problems. I take no joy in saying this, as you can all imagine. Some of them with deeper causes far beyond the current administration’s policies. And while I shall constrain from any personal attacks against my successor and his administration, it is my firm belief that the current leadership – or lack thereof – has created more problems than we previously had. Meanwhile, existing problems worsened on many instances. We recognize that the president and his administration are well intended and see themselves acting in the best interest of our country and its people. Nonetheless, many Americans, it seems like, have come to conclusion that the federal government and its current leaders have failed at the task at hand. Whether it’s a majority of Americans or not will be decided at the polls in November of next year. It is my firm belief that we, as one nation, can change the course of history. By pulling together and tackle the problems straight on. Head-on, with the truth and openness. With a positive vision for our country and all of its diverse people.

Now, therefore, after deep soul searching, many more conservations with my family, friends and – of course – a number of advisers, I have decided reengage in the political process and seek the Republican nomination for president. I am doing so with the full intention to win. To win the nomination of the Grand Old Party and win the election taking place in November next year. In the coming weeks and months, I will present detailed plans what in my opinion has to be done about the challenges ahead and how we can master them. And with We, I mean, we as a nation. I will introduce these plans to the electorate of my party to earn their trust and later on to the entire public, asking for each and everyone’s trust. I will do so with great dedication and I’m happy to discuss my plans. Defend them where necessary and adjust them where appropriate. I will focus on a positive vision for our nation and the whole world. I will not engage in any partisan bickering, personal attacks or smear tactics. Our nation deserves better. And even more importantly, our nation has no time to waste. No time to bungle. We can and will get this right. I am offering experienced leadership in challenging times. No more, no less. I’ve been there. I’ve served with my dear friend, Nelson Rockefeller, and finished the term Americans reelected him to with the electoral votes of all 50 states in 1976. Let us win again, together. Not for me, my party or any particular interest. Let us win for our nation’s future and restore American greatness.

I shall be available for questions and discussions in the coming days and weeks. Thank all very much and have a great day.

Press voices: “Ford starts as Republican frontrunner after strong announcement speech”

Commentators in the press largely wrote positive reaction’s the Gerald Ford’s campaign announcement. “Instead of falling into partisan bickering and personal attacks, his tone was worthy of a former president who seeks – in his opinion – to take back the reins of power to change the course of America for the better”, a NYT-columnist wrote. All observers concluded that Ford would start out as strong frontrunner for the Republican nomination. Universal name recognition, an already existing campaign infrastructure and high-profile advisers give him a severe edge over the field. While some observers pointed to Ford's failure winning in 1980 as an (unelected) incumbent, others note he most likely learned both from that experience and Ronald Reagan's narrow loss later that year.

Meanwhile, Gerald Ford appointed Frank J. Fahrenkopf as campaign chair, former Chief of Staff Donald Rumsfeld serves as vice chair. Henry Kissinger also joined the campaign as senior advisor for foreign policy, Richard Nixon reportedly is an informal advisor on strategy.

President Brown reacts to Ford’s candidacy

President Jerry Brown was at a public event related to a public housing program in Baltimore, when news of Ford’s candidacy broke. Asked for a response, he told reporters: “It’s rare a former president jumps back in. I just wonder whether the Republican Party will nominate him after they snubbed him in 1980. This isn’t grandpa’s GOP anymore. It’s now Barry Goldwater’s.”

Although Brown and his team, including Vice President Carter, tried to downplay Ford’s entrance into the race, sources close to the reelection campaign claim “everybody’s on alarm”. “They can read the polls, and they know they need to turn the narrative”, the Chicago Tribune wrote, “with over a year left, it’s possible. Who would have thought in late 1981 the Democrats perform well in the midterms? But they better turn things around quickly. At this point, they need to hope Ford either fails to win the nomination or comes out damaged of the primary process.”

Paul Laxalt: “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”

Senator and presidential hopeful Paul Laxalt, back in Washington for some senate business, didn’t make a concerned impression to Ford’s announcement. “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”, he said. Asked whether he saw himself as the leading conservative candidate in Reagan’s tradition, he responded: “I guess it’s clear that my governing philosophy differs from President Ford’s on various issues and no secret I hold more conservative views.”

Howard Baker, considered the leading moderate before, has not immediately reacted to the news. It’s unclear how much this affects his campaign, which has already struggled to gain traction.

Ronald Reagan: “I won’t endorse in the primary, but Jerry Brown should be extremely nervous about Ford”

Surprisingly, 1980 Republican nominee Ronald Reagan also weighed in on the news of the Ford campaign. Reagan, who already said months ago he wouldn’t run again, stunned some observers by saying he was not about to endorse. “I may vote one or the other way by the time the California primary comes along, but I’m not making a formal endorsement. Most importantly, we must make sure this president is defeated next year. I believe this is going to happen, and Mr. Brown should be extremely nervous about President Ford in particular.”

It's reported that some senior staffers at Paul Laxalt’s campaign were upset about Reagan’s statement. The former California governor is widely considered a personal friend of Laxalt’s. However, journalists speculate that Reagan is already banking on Ford winning the nomination and potentially the presidency and wants to maintain a certain influence on him. Ford and Reagan met multiple times since the latter’s narrow defeat and exchanged ideas about moving the party forward.

October 4, 1983: Gerald Ford holds first campaign rally in Michigan, former First Lady Happy Rockefeller joins event and takes role as “campaign chair for women outreach”

Four days after announcing his bid for the presidency, Gerald Ford gave his first campaign speech back in his native of Michigan. At a rally in Lansing, the former commander-in-chief outlined his first priorities: A tougher approach towards the Soviet Union, including pressure through diplomacy with China, and increased American engagement in the Pacific. Domestically, he spoke of the need for a tax reform that seeks to reduce income taxes for middle income, a moderate reduction of the corporate tax rate. Details were not provided, though Ford promised to present a plan before the first primary ballot was cast.

Surprising some observers, Ford dedicated a longer portion of his address to women’s issue such as equal pay measures and promotion of women in leadership positions through various incentives instead of government mandates. “I promise a federal government that works toward gender equality on various levels and I promise that my administration will lead by example”, he said. The rally was also attended by former First Lady Happy Rockefeller, who not only endorsed the candidacy of her late husband’s running mate and successor, Ford also announced that Mrs. Rockefeller was taking an active role in the campaign as “campaign chair for women outreach”. Accordingly, the former First Lady leads the effort of the Ford campaign to reach female voters and convince them to back the former president’s bid.

October 5, 1983: Ad-hoc Gallup polls show Ford leading GOP field by 38, knocks Brown off by 14 points nationally

1984 Republican presidential primary

Gerald Ford: 58%
Paul Laxalt: 20%
Howard Baker: 7%
Phil Crane: 5%
Someone else: 2%
Undecided: 8%

Note: Contrary to previous polls, only declared candidates were polled.

1984 General election matchups

Gerald Ford (R): 54%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 40%

Paul Laxalt (R): 47%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 43%

Howard Baker (R): 48%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 43%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 44%
Phil Crane (R): 43%

Next: Bonus - Gerald Ford sits down with CBS' Anchor Dan Rather for exclusive interview on campaign
Excellent
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 08:59:18 AM »

Wow, this is going to be interesting. Unlikely Ford doesn't win the GOP nomination here, imho. He'd still be younger than Reagan in 1984, but older than Reagan in 1980.

If Ford becomes the nominee, there would again be an election with him and Carter on opposing tickets.
The primary will be a coronation for Ford
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »

Yes, passed already during the presidency of Nelson Rockefeller, who threw his full support behind it.
It's a shame your country does not have it yet
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »

January 2, 1984: Q4 economic report shows unexpected 1.5% growth, unemployment drops to 5.7%

With some delay, the economic report for Q4 1983 was finally released and showed better than expected results. Although still not reaching pre-recession levels before 1980/81, the US economy unexpectedly grew by 1.5%, while unemployment sunk to 5.7%. As President Jerry Brown and his administration have been faulted for the weak recovery, the report provides some good news for them. Brown already called on congress for additional investments to promote growth.

On behalf of President Jerry Brown, Treasury Secretary Reubin Askew said the nation was on the right track under the Brown Administration and urged Americans for patience. “We came out of a deep hole in 1980 and 1981, and recovery takes time and not always moves up constantly.”

January 8, 1984: As Laxalt and Crane debate, Ford hosts townhall instead

The first debate of the 1984 cycle was hosted in Chicago by the Chicago Tribune on January 8, 1984. Senator Paul Laxalt accepted an invitation by Congressman Phil Crane to a discussion over Republican policies and the right approach to oust President Jerry Brown in the November election. Both are currently battling for the GOP’s presidential nomination. However, former President Gerald Ford didn’t participate in the forum and instead hosted a townhall in Concord, New Hampshire. Laxalt and Crane different little in policy, as both belong to the conservative wing of their party. More or less, Laxalt questioned Crane’s prospects for the nomination and suggested that he could stop Ford from winning the nomination. He still admitted that it was tough to counter Ford, who has by far the most resources and endorsement racked up behind his bid. Both Laxalt and Crane demanded wide tax cuts to stimulate economic growth, deregulation and a much tough approach against the USSR. Laxalt also demanded a debate with Gerald Ford ahead of Super Tuesday.

During his townhall, Ford emphasized on the record of the Rockefeller/Ford Administrations that led to “unprecedented growth at home and peace abroad”. The former chief executive also reinforced his pitch towards women voters and specified his plans to promote female entrepreneurship.

January 12, 1984: Ford campaign introduces sweeping tax plan for middle class tax relief

After Paul Laxalt already presented his own tax plan, which is much similar to Ronald Reagan’s proposals in 1980, Gerald Ford now introduced his own plan for a sweeping tax reform. On the campaign trail in his new homestate of California, Ford himself, joined by chief economic adviser Alan Greenspan presented a plan that seeks to reduce the top tax rate from 70% to 60%, a phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $200,000 to $300,000 as well as tax reductions for all income brackets of at least ten percent, depending on income. Ford also intends various tax exemptions for newly created businesses.

January 21, 1984: President Brown faces criticism over reschedule of State of the Union for campaign events

Days after sending the official invitation for President Jerry Brown’s 1984 State of the Union Address, Speaker Tip O’Neill withdrew and rescheduled the invitation at the president’s own request. The speech has initially planned for January 28 and now rescheduled to February 15. Sources report that President Brown planned a “blitz tour” through Iowa in the closing days of January. Although he doesn’t face a primary challenger, Brown apparently insisted on the tour to draw attention from the ongoing Republican campaign. The prompt reschedule of the State of the Union drew some criticism from Republican lawmakers. Minority Whip Bob Dole (R-KS) said Brown’s attitude was “disrespectful to lawmakers”. President Brown dismissed the critique and said it was a “communication issue” between his team and O’Neill’s staff. “On behalf of my team, I apologize”, he added, “Republican politicians just try to play political theater here.”

Former Republican nominee Ronald Reagan accused Brown of “interference in the Republican primary” and as the move apparently intends to produce headlines in the local press. Another campaign event was scheduled for February in New Hampshire, just ahead of the GOP primary. Meanwhile, Vice President Jimmy Carter will hold two rallies in South Carolina before the Republican contest there.

January 27, 1984: Secretary of State Shriver gives update on Iran-Iraq negotiations: Peace agreement is in sight

Secretary of State Sargent Shriver delivered an update during a briefly scheduled press conference on January 27, saying that after several months of talks between Iran and Iraq, a permanent agreement was “within reach”. The Brown Administration and Soviet Politburo brokered a cease fire back in 1982 and pressured both Iran and Iraq into negotiations over a settlement of their conflict. Although the largely secret conducted talks were complicated and interrupted multiple times, both Shriver and his Soviet counterpart continued the effort. According to Shriver, an official peace treaty that also seeks certain protections for various groups in Iraq could be presented to the public in the coming months.

Late January 1984: Republican candidates makes final play for Iowa

Ahead of the Iowa Caucus, the three remaining Republican candidates made their final plays to the voters of the Midwestern states. While Crane and Laxalt continued to criticize Ford from the right and see themselves in Reagan’s tradition, the former president stressed his vast experience in government and “electability”, pointing to polls showing him performance best against President Brown. Both Ford and Laxalt did extended bus tours during the final days of January, though the latter returned to DC for senate business on January 30.

Ford holds a substantial polling lead ahead of the contest, both in Iowa and nationwide. Ford has the largest lead among Republican women, winning three quarters of them.

January 31, 1984: New Gallup polls

Approve: 46% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▼

Gerald Ford: 56%
Paul Laxalt: 27%
Phil Crane: 6%
Someone else: 0%
Undecided: 11%

1984 Iowa Republican Caucus

Gerald Ford: 63%
Paul Laxalt: 24%
Phil Crane: 8%
Undecided: 5%

Gerald Ford (R): 50%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 44%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 46%
Paul Laxalt (R): 46%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 46%
Phil Crane (R): 43%

I'd like to see a county map
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »

February 15, 1984

President Jerry Brown’s State of the Union Address

+++ President Brown sees America “on right track” and urges for patience, indirectly criticizes Ford +++

+++ Proposes “fairer taxes system” and new spending +++

+++ “World a more stable place thanks to our diplomacy” +++

For the final time during his first term, President Jerry Brown delivered his State of the Union Address to congress and the nation. The event was originally scheduled for January and later delayed to February, what brought him some criticism after stumping the campaign trail in states that held Republican primaries. “Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow citizens, I can report to the nation and the world, that America is on the right track”, Brown promptly opened his 33-minute speech in the House chamber. “We are at peace, unemployment is declining, the deficit is declining and the recession is long over”, he added. Nonetheless, the chief executive admitted economic growth was not where it’s supposed to be an and called upon congress for additional measures to stimulate growth, such as more public investments into infrastructure, science and education. “I know, we’re talking about a lot of money here, my friends”, Brown told lawmakers, “that’s why I’m asking you to pass a comprehensive tax reform that provides more relief for working people, increases taxes on high incomes and closes tax loopholes. Together we can do it and make it possible.” Brown also defended his stance not to increase defense spending over the levels of the inflation rate.

Brown also added that he inherited an economy in decline and indirectly criticized his potential challenger, former President Gerald Ford. “I let you know a secret: It wasn’t my party that controlled the White House before I came in”, he said, “yet, there are those who want us go back. And there are others, that want to take us further back. Back to the 20s. I will never go back, that much is certain.” The latter remark was clearly directed at Senator Paul Laxalt, who was also present. The president went on to propose additional spending in the coming fiscal years, after the presidential election, with regard to healthcare, education, housing and infrastructure. Unlike in 1982 and 1983, he spent virtually no time on healthcare reform, which earlier failed in congress. Instead Brown intends to make it campaign issue and launch a new attempt after the election.

On foreign policy, which he devoted the final 10 minutes of his speech, the commander-in-chief defended his record and caution with any arms sales and supplies. “My administration does execute federal law”, he said with regard to Afghanistan, “contrary what was claimed by political operators with an own agenda for November. The truth, however, is that diplomacy works. It did work and continues to work. We make steady progress. Sometimes it just takes time.” Lastly, President Brown said he intends to begin new arms reduction talks with the USSR as soon as certain, unspecified pre-conditions are met.

The Republican response: Governor Deukmejian says “Brown has failed America”

The Republican response was left to Governor Deukmejian this time around, a successor of Brown’s who previously endorsed Gerald Ford’s presidential bid. “Brown has failed America”, Deukmejian told the audience, “the truth is, President Brown urged is for patience every straight year since taking office. But in reality, he can no longer hide and escape. He can no longer deny that our economy is not growing the way it should. Indeed, real incomes are declining. And what about crime? President Brown didn’t mention the word a single time. He’s man that has lost touch with Americans.”

The governor also sharply criticized the administration’s foreign policy. “After three years, there’s just more of the same: More weakness against Moscow, no strategy on Asia and no improvement in allied relationships we depend on.” Deukmejian then called upon voters to chose a different path in November. “President Brown doesn’t want us go back? But he offered no plan forward. Let us go back to the days when there was robust growth, no deficits and America more respected.”

February 28, 1984

BREAKING: As Laxalt wins native of Nevada, Ford victory in South Carolina sends big signal

+++ Gerald Ford secures win in South Carolina, enters Super Tuesday in strong position +++

+++ Laxalt: “Next 14 days will decide the fate of our party” +++

+++ Crane says campaign continues to Super Tuesday, acknowledges nomination is lost +++

Nevada Republican Caucus
✓ Paul Laxalt: 62.2%
Gerald Ford: 27.0%
Phil Crane: 9.9%

South Carolina Republican Primary
✓ Gerald Ford: 51.4%
Paul Laxalt: 45.1%
Phil Crane: 3.1%

The last day of February saw the two remaining contests of the month, this time both on the same day. The eyes of the nation were on South Carolina, where polls suggested a closer race than in Iowa and New Hampshire and Senator Paul Laxalt hoped to change the race’s dynamics in his favor after former President Gerald Ford turned the entire White House contest upside down after his announcement in October.

However, as the results begun coming in, Ford started off with a strong lead, especially by running up strong numbers in the Charleston area. As counting continued, Laxalt started closing the gap, but in the end he fell short by a fair margin. The former president waited until the late night and all votes were counted before he spoke to supporters and the press. “I’m humbled by your support”, he said, “And I’m sure we have now demonstrated that we have not only pulled together a winning coalition, but a coalition for a decisive victory next Tuesday and November.”

One bright spot for the Laxalt campaign was their decisive victory in his home state of Nevada. Nonetheless, this was not the night the conservative and his supporters hoped for. “The next 14 days will determine the fate of our party”, he told supporters and urged them to keep on fighting. With Super Tuesday only a week away, time was rather short to turn things around. According to polls, Gerald Ford has a robust lead in several states. Observers believe the former president could essentially secure the nomination very early, which would allow him to turn his attention to the general election.

Phil Crane, who again came in a very distant third, confirmed his campaign would still go into Super Tuesday, but said that "de facto our chances for the nomination are very low."

The Republican primary map

Gerald Ford: 3% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 1% of delegates
Phil Crane: 0% of delegates

February 29, 1984: New Gallup polls

With President Brown's State of the Union Address received well by a majority of Americans, according to Gallup it had a 56% positive and 39% negative rating, his approval rating is back above water, even though by a slim margin. That also reflects new general election matchups, with Gerald Ford now the only Republican candidate still leading. However, his lead has dropped to four points.

Approve: 47% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▬

Gerald Ford: 60%
Paul Laxalt: 29%
Phil Crane: 4%
Undecided: 7%

Gerald Ford (R): 49%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 45%