The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:44:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107873 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: August 13, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »

Laxalt 1984!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #826 on: August 15, 2022, 01:33:48 PM »

September 27, 1983: Senate confirms José Cabranes to Supreme Court

With 89 votes in favor and just 7 against (one present), the US Senate has confirmed Judge Jose A. Cabranes to the Supreme Court. Cabranes, only turning 43 in December, is about to become the first Supreme Court of Puerto Rican heritage. President Jerry Brown in a first statement thanked the senate for its swift action on the nomination. It was submitted in July after Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg announced his retirement from the bench, having been there twice (since 1971 and between 1961 and 1965). After Shirley Hufstedler, he’s the second nominee by President Brown.

Later that day, Cabranes was formally sworn into office by Chief Justice John Paul Stevens. The appointment does not alter the philosophical balance of the court, which is dominated by the liberal wing and widely seen as the “third Warren Court” (after the initial Chief Justice Earl Warren and Homer Thornberry).

BONUS: The current Supreme Court
(As of September 1983)

- John Paul Stevens (Chief Justice) (since 1977, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- William J. Brennan (since 1956, appointed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower)

- Potter Stewart (since 1958, appointed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower)

- Byron White (since 1962, appointed by President John F. Kennedy)

- Thurgood Marshall (since 1967, appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson)

- Louis J. Lefkowitz (since 1975, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- Warren E. Burger (since 1976, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- Shirley Hufstedler (since 1981, appointed by President Jerry Brown)

- Jose A. Cabranes (since 1983, appointed by President Jerry Brown)

Mid/late September 1983

Washington’s biggest open question: Will he or won’t he?

After President Jerry Brown’s official campaign launch dominated the news for a few subsequent days, not only political observers and candidates themselves, but the entire nation await former President Gerald Ford’s decision whether to jump into the 1984 presidential race. A “Draft Ford” campaign launched months before by financier David Rockefeller and former Republican officials has collected nearly 30 million dollars and built up a nationwide campaign infrastructure. The draft committee is already supporting several Republican congressional candidates that represent the moderate wing of the party.

While Ford himself remained cautious at the beginning and said reentering the political arena was not on his mind, some sources familiar with his inner circle say the former chief executive had second thoughts over recent weeks over a potential candidacy. Republican veteran and two time presidential nominee Richard Nixon published an essay in the New York Times on September 26, publically calling on his former boss to run for the White House because he could “rebuild America’s standing in the world after four years of weakness and ineptitude”. Nixon, who served as Secretary of State from 1973 to 1981 and subsequently became president of the Council on Foreign Relations, ruled out a return to government service, even under another Republican administration. Furthermore, these sources familiar with Ford confidants, say the former president was watching recent events unfolding with a sense of concern. Especially the weak economic recovery and President Brown’s response to Soviet actions left him with great unease.

On the other hand, these sources report, Ford greatly enjoys his time freed of any burden and busy scheduled. Even though current polls suggest he’d be a heavy favorite for the nomination and well ahead of Jerry Brown, he would still expect a long and exhausting battle. With no victory guaranteed either, a potential primary or general election loss is the last thing he would need in history books after having to leave the 1980 nomination to Ronald Reagan without breaking the party further apart.

Following a well noted speech to “restore American greatness” in his native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Ford again disappeared from the public eye and returned to his new home in California. Various journalists familiar with the matter confirmed that he was meeting not only discussing pros and cons with his family and close friends, the ex-president was also meeting with a host of campaign strategists and political consultants to weigh his options. Then, on September 27, Ford’s office was releasing a brief statement that a decision was about to be announced “very soon”:

“President Ford is deeply humbled and touched by the enormous support for him that his being expressed. Well aware that these are critical times for our nation and the world, but also aware of his personal situation, the president will very soon address these many requests head on and discuss his future plans.”

Should Ford indeed declare his candidacy, observers widely regard him as the frontrunner for the Republican nomination. It is unclear whether other moderate candidates, especially Howard Baker, would be able to continue their campaigns. Journalists raised the possibility of the GOP race quickly becoming a head-to-head matchup between Ford and Laxalt, each representing the moderate and conservative wing, respectively.

September 30, 1983: New Gallup poll

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 43% ▼
Disapprove: 49% ▲
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #827 on: August 15, 2022, 07:30:26 PM »

Would love to see a Ford v. Brown general election, especially if Ford would eventually win such a contest.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #828 on: August 18, 2022, 01:11:13 PM »

October 1, 1983

BREAKING: Gerald Ford announces candidacy for US president

+++ Long awaited decision on 1984: Former president launches campaign to reclaim White House +++

+++ Ford says he runs to “restore American greatness”, promises fair campaign and detailled policy proposals

+++ Rivals weigh in, mostly positive press voices +++

The month of October started off with a major political headline, perhaps the biggest of the 1984 cycle before a single ballot is cast. On September 30, the office of former President Gerald Ford invited a group of 25 journalists of all major papers and broadcasts to his California office for a “major announcement”. The podium already prepared, with many flags in the background a Ford banner (“Gerald R. Ford ’84 – Restore American greatness”), it became evident that the former chief executive was indeed running to reclaim his old job that he ascended from Nelson Rockefeller in May 1979 and had to quit less than two years later. Steven Ford, the president’s son, introduced his father in the morning hours. The event was scheduled as a simple statement, not a rally or press conference.

Steven Ford: Ladies and Gentlemen, I am deeply honored to introduce to you a man who has dedicated his life to serving America. A man of honor, dignity and commitment. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my father, President Gerald R. Ford.

President Ford: Thank you very much, thank you so much. Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to all of you. I hope the ad-hoc announced event didn’t cause y’all too many scheduled issues. So thank you again. I am appearing here today to make a major announcement, as you can see. [laughter from audience] In recent weeks and months, I have received an immense number of requests to reengage in the political discourse, as you all are well aware. Betty, my entire family and I were extremely moved by that level of support and encouragement I received. Indeed, we never expected anything like this remotely possible. Let me say that I did not plan to return to public office after leaving it after more than 30 years of service to our nation. As congressman, vice president and president. Nonetheless, the encouragement of all these people, including many ordinary Americans – not only individuals affiliated with the Republican Party – was not something I could not take lightly. Neither will I. Indeed, I feel a deep commitment to address their concerns and do whatever I can to make sure our nation is prospering. Your concerns are mine as well.

My fellow Americans, our country faces unprecedented problems. I take no joy in saying this, as you can all imagine. Some of them with deeper causes far beyond the current administration’s policies. And while I shall constrain from any personal attacks against my successor and his administration, it is my firm belief that the current leadership – or lack thereof – has created more problems than we previously had. Meanwhile, existing problems worsened on many instances. We recognize that the president and his administration are well intended and see themselves acting in the best interest of our country and its people. Nonetheless, many Americans, it seems like, have come to conclusion that the federal government and its current leaders have failed at the task at hand. Whether it’s a majority of Americans or not will be decided at the polls in November of next year. It is my firm belief that we, as one nation, can change the course of history. By pulling together and tackle the problems straight on. Head-on, with the truth and openness. With a positive vision for our country and all of its diverse people.

Now, therefore, after deep soul searching, many more conservations with my family, friends and – of course – a number of advisers, I have decided reengage in the political process and seek the Republican nomination for president. I am doing so with the full intention to win. To win the nomination of the Grand Old Party and win the election taking place in November next year. In the coming weeks and months, I will present detailed plans what in my opinion has to be done about the challenges ahead and how we can master them. And with We, I mean, we as a nation. I will introduce these plans to the electorate of my party to earn their trust and later on to the entire public, asking for each and everyone’s trust. I will do so with great dedication and I’m happy to discuss my plans. Defend them where necessary and adjust them where appropriate. I will focus on a positive vision for our nation and the whole world. I will not engage in any partisan bickering, personal attacks or smear tactics. Our nation deserves better. And even more importantly, our nation has no time to waste. No time to bungle. We can and will get this right. I am offering experienced leadership in challenging times. No more, no less. I’ve been there. I’ve served with my dear friend, Nelson Rockefeller, and finished the term Americans reelected him to with the electoral votes of all 50 states in 1976. Let us win again, together. Not for me, my party or any particular interest. Let us win for our nation’s future and restore American greatness.

I shall be available for questions and discussions in the coming days and weeks. Thank all very much and have a great day.

Press voices: “Ford starts as Republican frontrunner after strong announcement speech”

Commentators in the press largely wrote positive reaction’s the Gerald Ford’s campaign announcement. “Instead of falling into partisan bickering and personal attacks, his tone was worthy of a former president who seeks – in his opinion – to take back the reins of power to change the course of America for the better”, a NYT-columnist wrote. All observers concluded that Ford would start out as strong frontrunner for the Republican nomination. Universal name recognition, an already existing campaign infrastructure and high-profile advisers give him a severe edge over the field. While some observers pointed to Ford's failure winning in 1980 as an (unelected) incumbent, others note he most likely learned both from that experience and Ronald Reagan's narrow loss later that year.

Meanwhile, Gerald Ford appointed Frank J. Fahrenkopf as campaign chair, former Chief of Staff Donald Rumsfeld serves as vice chair. Henry Kissinger also joined the campaign as senior advisor for foreign policy, Richard Nixon reportedly is an informal advisor on strategy.

President Brown reacts to Ford’s candidacy

President Jerry Brown was at a public event related to a public housing program in Baltimore, when news of Ford’s candidacy broke. Asked for a response, he told reporters: “It’s rare a former president jumps back in. I just wonder whether the Republican Party will nominate him after they snubbed him in 1980. This isn’t grandpa’s GOP anymore. It’s now Barry Goldwater’s.”

Although Brown and his team, including Vice President Carter, tried to downplay Ford’s entrance into the race, sources close to the reelection campaign claim “everybody’s on alarm”. “They can read the polls, and they know they need to turn the narrative”, the Chicago Tribune wrote, “with over a year left, it’s possible. Who would have thought in late 1981 the Democrats perform well in the midterms? But they better turn things around quickly. At this point, they need to hope Ford either fails to win the nomination or comes out damaged of the primary process.”

Paul Laxalt: “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”

Senator and presidential hopeful Paul Laxalt, back in Washington for some senate business, didn’t make a concerned impression to Ford’s announcement. “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”, he said. Asked whether he saw himself as the leading conservative candidate in Reagan’s tradition, he responded: “I guess it’s clear that my governing philosophy differs from President Ford’s on various issues and no secret I hold more conservative views.”

Howard Baker, considered the leading moderate before, has not immediately reacted to the news. It’s unclear how much this affects his campaign, which has already struggled to gain traction.

Ronald Reagan: “I won’t endorse in the primary, but Jerry Brown should be extremely nervous about Ford”

Surprisingly, 1980 Republican nominee Ronald Reagan also weighed in on the news of the Ford campaign. Reagan, who already said months ago he wouldn’t run again, stunned some observers by saying he was not about to endorse. “I may vote one or the other way by the time the California primary comes along, but I’m not making a formal endorsement. Most importantly, we must make sure this president is defeated next year. I believe this is going to happen, and Mr. Brown should be extremely nervous about President Ford in particular.”

It's reported that some senior staffers at Paul Laxalt’s campaign were upset about Reagan’s statement. The former California governor is widely considered a personal friend of Laxalt’s. However, journalists speculate that Reagan is already banking on Ford winning the nomination and potentially the presidency and wants to maintain a certain influence on him. Ford and Reagan met multiple times since the latter’s narrow defeat and exchanged ideas about moving the party forward.

October 4, 1983: Gerald Ford holds first campaign rally in Michigan, former First Lady Happy Rockefeller joins event and takes role as “campaign chair for women outreach”

Four days after announcing his bid for the presidency, Gerald Ford gave his first campaign speech back in his native of Michigan. At a rally in Lansing, the former commander-in-chief outlined his first priorities: A tougher approach towards the Soviet Union, including pressure through diplomacy with China, and increased American engagement in the Pacific. Domestically, he spoke of the need for a tax reform that seeks to reduce income taxes for middle income, a moderate reduction of the corporate tax rate. Details were not provided, though Ford promised to present a plan before the first primary ballot was cast.

Surprising some observers, Ford dedicated a longer portion of his address to women’s issue such as equal pay measures and promotion of women in leadership positions through various incentives instead of government mandates. “I promise a federal government that works toward gender equality on various levels and I promise that my administration will lead by example”, he said. The rally was also attended by former First Lady Happy Rockefeller, who not only endorsed the candidacy of her late husband’s running mate and successor, Ford also announced that Mrs. Rockefeller was taking an active role in the campaign as “campaign chair for women outreach”. Accordingly, the former First Lady leads the effort of the Ford campaign to reach female voters and convince them to back the former president’s bid.

October 5, 1983: Ad-hoc Gallup polls show Ford leading GOP field by 38, knocks Brown off by 14 points nationally

1984 Republican presidential primary

Gerald Ford: 58%
Paul Laxalt: 20%
Howard Baker: 7%
Phil Crane: 5%
Someone else: 2%
Undecided: 8%

Note: Contrary to previous polls, only declared candidates were polled.

1984 General election matchups

Gerald Ford (R): 54%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 40%

Paul Laxalt (R): 47%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 43%

Howard Baker (R): 48%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 44%
Phil Crane (R): 43%

Next: Bonus - Gerald Ford sits down with CBS' Anchor Dan Rather for exclusive interview on campaign
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #829 on: August 18, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »

Things are gonna get interesting with Ford in the mix. Interested to see where this goes!
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #830 on: August 18, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »

Wait did the ERA pass here?
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #831 on: August 18, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »

October 1, 1983

BREAKING: Gerald Ford announces candidacy for US president

+++ Long awaited decision on 1984: Former president launches campaign to reclaim White House +++

+++ Ford says he runs to “restore American greatness”, promises fair campaign and detailled policy proposals

+++ Rivals weigh in, mostly positive press voices +++

The month of October started off with a major political headline, perhaps the biggest of the 1984 cycle before a single ballot is cast. On September 30, the office of former President Gerald Ford invited a group of 25 journalists of all major papers and broadcasts to his California office for a “major announcement”. The podium already prepared, with many flags in the background a Ford banner (“Gerald R. Ford ’84 – Restore American greatness”), it became evident that the former chief executive was indeed running to reclaim his old job that he ascended from Nelson Rockefeller in May 1979 and had to quit less than two years later. Steven Ford, the president’s son, introduced his father in the morning hours. The event was scheduled as a simple statement, not a rally or press conference.

Steven Ford: Ladies and Gentlemen, I am deeply honored to introduce to you a man who has dedicated his life to serving America. A man of honor, dignity and commitment. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome my father, President Gerald R. Ford.

President Ford: Thank you very much, thank you so much. Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to all of you. I hope the ad-hoc announced event didn’t cause y’all too many scheduled issues. So thank you again. I am appearing here today to make a major announcement, as you can see. [laughter from audience] In recent weeks and months, I have received an immense number of requests to reengage in the political discourse, as you all are well aware. Betty, my entire family and I were extremely moved by that level of support and encouragement I received. Indeed, we never expected anything like this remotely possible. Let me say that I did not plan to return to public office after leaving it after more than 30 years of service to our nation. As congressman, vice president and president. Nonetheless, the encouragement of all these people, including many ordinary Americans – not only individuals affiliated with the Republican Party – was not something I could not take lightly. Neither will I. Indeed, I feel a deep commitment to address their concerns and do whatever I can to make sure our nation is prospering. Your concerns are mine as well.

My fellow Americans, our country faces unprecedented problems. I take no joy in saying this, as you can all imagine. Some of them with deeper causes far beyond the current administration’s policies. And while I shall constrain from any personal attacks against my successor and his administration, it is my firm belief that the current leadership – or lack thereof – has created more problems than we previously had. Meanwhile, existing problems worsened on many instances. We recognize that the president and his administration are well intended and see themselves acting in the best interest of our country and its people. Nonetheless, many Americans, it seems like, have come to conclusion that the federal government and its current leaders have failed at the task at hand. Whether it’s a majority of Americans or not will be decided at the polls in November of next year. It is my firm belief that we, as one nation, can change the course of history. By pulling together and tackle the problems straight on. Head-on, with the truth and openness. With a positive vision for our country and all of its diverse people.

Now, therefore, after deep soul searching, many more conservations with my family, friends and – of course – a number of advisers, I have decided reengage in the political process and seek the Republican nomination for president. I am doing so with the full intention to win. To win the nomination of the Grand Old Party and win the election taking place in November next year. In the coming weeks and months, I will present detailed plans what in my opinion has to be done about the challenges ahead and how we can master them. And with We, I mean, we as a nation. I will introduce these plans to the electorate of my party to earn their trust and later on to the entire public, asking for each and everyone’s trust. I will do so with great dedication and I’m happy to discuss my plans. Defend them where necessary and adjust them where appropriate. I will focus on a positive vision for our nation and the whole world. I will not engage in any partisan bickering, personal attacks or smear tactics. Our nation deserves better. And even more importantly, our nation has no time to waste. No time to bungle. We can and will get this right. I am offering experienced leadership in challenging times. No more, no less. I’ve been there. I’ve served with my dear friend, Nelson Rockefeller, and finished the term Americans reelected him to with the electoral votes of all 50 states in 1976. Let us win again, together. Not for me, my party or any particular interest. Let us win for our nation’s future and restore American greatness.

I shall be available for questions and discussions in the coming days and weeks. Thank all very much and have a great day.

Press voices: “Ford starts as Republican frontrunner after strong announcement speech”

Commentators in the press largely wrote positive reaction’s the Gerald Ford’s campaign announcement. “Instead of falling into partisan bickering and personal attacks, his tone was worthy of a former president who seeks – in his opinion – to take back the reins of power to change the course of America for the better”, a NYT-columnist wrote. All observers concluded that Ford would start out as strong frontrunner for the Republican nomination. Universal name recognition, an already existing campaign infrastructure and high-profile advisers give him a severe edge over the field. While some observers pointed to Ford's failure winning in 1980 as an (unelected) incumbent, others note he most likely learned both from that experience and Ronald Reagan's narrow loss later that year.

Meanwhile, Gerald Ford appointed Frank J. Fahrenkopf as campaign chair, former Chief of Staff Donald Rumsfeld serves as vice chair. Henry Kissinger also joined the campaign as senior advisor for foreign policy, Richard Nixon reportedly is an informal advisor on strategy.

President Brown reacts to Ford’s candidacy

President Jerry Brown was at a public event related to a public housing program in Baltimore, when news of Ford’s candidacy broke. Asked for a response, he told reporters: “It’s rare a former president jumps back in. I just wonder whether the Republican Party will nominate him after they snubbed him in 1980. This isn’t grandpa’s GOP anymore. It’s now Barry Goldwater’s.”

Although Brown and his team, including Vice President Carter, tried to downplay Ford’s entrance into the race, sources close to the reelection campaign claim “everybody’s on alarm”. “They can read the polls, and they know they need to turn the narrative”, the Chicago Tribune wrote, “with over a year left, it’s possible. Who would have thought in late 1981 the Democrats perform well in the midterms? But they better turn things around quickly. At this point, they need to hope Ford either fails to win the nomination or comes out damaged of the primary process.”

Paul Laxalt: “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”

Senator and presidential hopeful Paul Laxalt, back in Washington for some senate business, didn’t make a concerned impression to Ford’s announcement. “We will have a tough but fair contest before uniting against Brown”, he said. Asked whether he saw himself as the leading conservative candidate in Reagan’s tradition, he responded: “I guess it’s clear that my governing philosophy differs from President Ford’s on various issues and no secret I hold more conservative views.”

Howard Baker, considered the leading moderate before, has not immediately reacted to the news. It’s unclear how much this affects his campaign, which has already struggled to gain traction.

Ronald Reagan: “I won’t endorse in the primary, but Jerry Brown should be extremely nervous about Ford”

Surprisingly, 1980 Republican nominee Ronald Reagan also weighed in on the news of the Ford campaign. Reagan, who already said months ago he wouldn’t run again, stunned some observers by saying he was not about to endorse. “I may vote one or the other way by the time the California primary comes along, but I’m not making a formal endorsement. Most importantly, we must make sure this president is defeated next year. I believe this is going to happen, and Mr. Brown should be extremely nervous about President Ford in particular.”

It's reported that some senior staffers at Paul Laxalt’s campaign were upset about Reagan’s statement. The former California governor is widely considered a personal friend of Laxalt’s. However, journalists speculate that Reagan is already banking on Ford winning the nomination and potentially the presidency and wants to maintain a certain influence on him. Ford and Reagan met multiple times since the latter’s narrow defeat and exchanged ideas about moving the party forward.

October 4, 1983: Gerald Ford holds first campaign rally in Michigan, former First Lady Happy Rockefeller joins event and takes role as “campaign chair for women outreach”

Four days after announcing his bid for the presidency, Gerald Ford gave his first campaign speech back in his native of Michigan. At a rally in Lansing, the former commander-in-chief outlined his first priorities: A tougher approach towards the Soviet Union, including pressure through diplomacy with China, and increased American engagement in the Pacific. Domestically, he spoke of the need for a tax reform that seeks to reduce income taxes for middle income, a moderate reduction of the corporate tax rate. Details were not provided, though Ford promised to present a plan before the first primary ballot was cast.

Surprising some observers, Ford dedicated a longer portion of his address to women’s issue such as equal pay measures and promotion of women in leadership positions through various incentives instead of government mandates. “I promise a federal government that works toward gender equality on various levels and I promise that my administration will lead by example”, he said. The rally was also attended by former First Lady Happy Rockefeller, who not only endorsed the candidacy of her late husband’s running mate and successor, Ford also announced that Mrs. Rockefeller was taking an active role in the campaign as “campaign chair for women outreach”. Accordingly, the former First Lady leads the effort of the Ford campaign to reach female voters and convince them to back the former president’s bid.

October 5, 1983: Ad-hoc Gallup polls show Ford leading GOP field by 38, knocks Brown off by 14 points nationally

Paul Laxalt: 20%
Howard Baker: 7%

Note: Contrary to previous polls, only declared candidates were polled.

Gerald Ford (R): 54%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 40%

Howard Baker (R): 48%

Next: Bonus - Gerald Ford sits down with CBS' Anchor Dan Rather for exclusive interview on campaign
Excellent
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #832 on: August 19, 2022, 08:52:59 AM »

Wow, this is going to be interesting. Unlikely Ford doesn't win the GOP nomination here, imho. He'd still be younger than Reagan in 1984, but older than Reagan in 1980.

If Ford becomes the nominee, there would again be an election with him and Carter on opposing tickets.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #833 on: August 19, 2022, 08:59:18 AM »

Wow, this is going to be interesting. Unlikely Ford doesn't win the GOP nomination here, imho. He'd still be younger than Reagan in 1984, but older than Reagan in 1980.

If Ford becomes the nominee, there would again be an election with him and Carter on opposing tickets.
The primary will be a coronation for Ford
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #834 on: August 19, 2022, 02:29:11 PM »

Yes, passed already during the presidency of Nelson Rockefeller, who threw his full support behind it.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #835 on: August 19, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »

Yes, passed already during the presidency of Nelson Rockefeller, who threw his full support behind it.
It's a shame your country does not have it yet
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #836 on: August 23, 2022, 01:19:59 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2022, 01:23:48 PM by President Johnson »

October 7, 1983

BONUS: After campaign launch, former President Gerald Ford sits down for exclusive interview with CBS Anchor Dan Rather

+++ Ford explains why he decided to return from retirement, faults Brown Administration for weak foreign policy +++

+++ Republican frontrunner pledges agenda for women's rights and promote female entrepreneurship +++

+++ Ford addresses age issues, promises "maximal transparency" on health +++

Dan Rather: Today, I’m highly honored to welcome former President Gerald Ford to our program. So, welcome Mr. President.

President Ford: Thank you for having me.

Dan Rather: Mr. President, exactly one week ago today you announced your candidacy for the presidency, coming back from retirement. The simple question on lots of minds: Why do you want to be president again?

President Ford: Indeed, I decided to come back from retirement. As you are aware, I was not only encouraged to do so my many of my fellow Republicans to do so, but my ordinary Americans and other public figures outside the political world. The main reason, however, was that I asked myself a simple question: What can I do to help win America its future? And after careful evaluation, I’ve come to the conclusion that I might serve America best by offering to serve our nation again as president. Ask the people for their trust and confidence. I believe that with the service and experience I bring to the table, I can help solve the problems we have to deal with.

Dan Rather: In your announcement speech, you painted a rather grim picture of the present. Is it really that way? You said, the Brown Administration was failing. But haven’t you recognize that some issue proceed the current president? And you were in charge for eight years before, including nearly two as chief executive.

President Ford: I wouldn't use the term "grim picture". Everything I stated was pretty much what occurs in front of our eyes. The administration currently in power has approached a policy of weakness abroad, especially with regard to the Soviet Union. Remember that detente policies under the Rockefeller/Ford Administrations, even under previous Johnson Administration, had two centerpieces. One was diplomacy and cooperation, the other was strength. Unfortunately, we now moved solely towards the former and neglected the latter. This helped encouraging Soviet demands for power and domination elsewhere. We must return to a policy that demonstrates strength and determination towards their agressive behavior. Secondly, our economic recovery is the weakest in decades. The president's economic agenda has neglected the power of innovation of Americans and our businesses and solely focused on government interferance and regulation. We must find a way to balance that out and get us back on a path to solid economic growth. I believe we can do it.

Dan Rather: Fair points. But couldn’t you have done more to get us on a track of economic growth in 1980?

President Ford: Shortly after I had to take over as president in May 1979, a number of condiations, especially globally, changed and we were confronted with an economic downturn. The energy crisis greatly contributed to that. It was similar to 1973. But we were able to get of that through the leadership of President Rockefeller. After the 1980 recession hit, I proposed several policies to deal with these challenges. Unfortunately our country was not just consumed by a presidential contest that year, the congress dominated by the Democratic Party had very little enthusiasm to work out something. My proposals were largely ignored. Given that experience, I think we can do better this time around. We have to, Dan. There's no alternative.

Dan Rather: In retrospect, do you think it was a mistake to drop out soon of the 1980 contest? Would you have won that year? Did you give away governing by making yourself a lame duck?

President Ford: I don’t know. That’s up to the historians. I’m not running to run 1980 again or as some kind of revenge. Not at all. I tried to keep the party together and I believe Ronald Reagan did all he could to win the election. He came damn close. He won the popular vote. But President Brown won and took the country in a different direction. With good intentions, as I said. I just believe that we can do better. I’m running for 1984 now, not 1980. I want to build America’s future, not think about what might have been. We have urgent business to do.

Dan Rather: Mr. President, you named former First Lady Happy Rockefeller as chair for women outreach. Is this just a campaign tactic or what concrete policies to advance women would you peruse if elected?

President Ford: Everything I announce policy-wise is what I intend to do as president. I really want to see this decade as one for progress on women’s issues. I was vice president when the ERA passed, helped President Rockefeller to get it done in a bipartisan fashion. If I’m fortunate to serve again, I will do everything I can to make sure we promote policies to advance women. For example the promotion of female businessowners, equal pay legislation where necessary and protection of women’s rights. Especially leveling the playing field for female entrepreneurship is an issue I take great interest in. As president, I will develop a plan to promote such and make sure we get it done. While my opponents also like to talk about women's issues, I actually plan to implement practical policies to promote equal pay and businesses and not just have another law on the books that’s either being micromanaged by government bureaucrats or just not practical in the real world. As president, I also want to lead by example with the tools available. And I don't mean proclamations. Actions speak louder than words.

Dan Rather: Does that also mean you’re open to more female cabinet members or even a female vice president?

President Ford: I'm absolutely determined to include several talented women in my administration, should I go on to win and serve again. As for running mates, any talk is premature.

Dan Rather: Mr. President, I want to touch on another issue that has recently been talked about. You turned 70 two months ago. If elected, you would be 71 at inauguration date and turn 75 before the end of the next term. Your predecessor, President Rockefeller died at 70 in office. You know the burden of the presidency. Are confident to you’re able to handle to job again?

President Ford: These are perfectly justified questions and I can promise here and today, that I will be as transparent as possible. Fortunately, I have been blessed with good health, which has been confirmed by my personal physician earlier this year. However, I will undergo an extended check-up in December and release all its results at the time. Should I be elected, I will continue to be as open as I can. Any president regardless of age should do so.

Dan Rather: But you wouldn’t pledge to serve only a single term, from 1985 to 1989?

President Ford: I’m not pledging anything other than I’ll do my best to win the nomination, the election and serve our country the term I’ve been elected to. First things first.

Dan Rather: While you have criticized President Brown, you haven’t even mentioned a single GOP opponent so far. Are you open to debate them?

President Ford: I’m certainly open to it, Dan. I’m not hiding and I’m ready to discuss any of policies and defend my record. I just don’t think it’s appropriate to attack anyone personally. You said, I criticized President Brown. That is true, because there is much to criticize about his policies. It’s important to me making a distinction. All my criticism on the president and his admiration are directed at their policies and political approach. I’m not here for any smear tactics or personal attacks. As I said, we as a nation don’t have time for this.

Dan Rather: The polls say you win, Mr. President. How serious do you take them?

President Ford: I realize them, Dan. My staff does so even more. However, we take nothing for granted. We run like we're ten points behind.

Dan Rather: Alright, I have one more question for you. No matter how this journey ends, what would you want most be written about your career?

President Ford: He served his country. He served with honor and dedication. And he left his country better than he found it.

Dan Rather: And with these words, we leave it there. Thank you very much, Sir.

President Ford: Always a pleasure.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #837 on: August 29, 2022, 01:34:15 PM »

October 9, 1983: Hugh Carey sworn in as new Transportation Secretary

Following William Ruckelshaus’ resignation in protest against President Jerry Brown’s response to Korean Air Flight 007, his successor Hugh Carey has been confirmed by a 88-4 vote and was subsequently sworn into office by Vice President Jimmy Carter. Carey was a Democratic congressman from New York before and already announced not to run for reelection in 1984. President Brown then introduced him as Transportation Secretary. Carey said he intends to stay in office until the end of Brown’s current term, leaving his future beyond that open.

Meanwhile, William Ruckelshaus, a Rockefeller ally who became the first EPA Director in 1973, joined the Ford presidential campaign as senior adviser. He’s widely expected to fill a cabinet position again under a possible second Ford Administration.

October 15, 1983: President Brown reluctantly signs legislation to ban Soviet civilian airlines from US airspace, says administration unlikely to issue total ban

Initially, President Jerry Brown resisted strong demands to close US airspace for civilian Soviet airlines in the aftermath of Korean Air Flight 007, angering even some of his loyal supporters in congress. A bipartisan group of lawmakers subsequently proposed a bill to ban certain airliners from US airspace. The bill passed with an overwhelming margins in both houses of congress and President Brown, despite some unease, signed it. However, the detailed implementation remains within the federal executive’s direction and Brown already said he was unlikely to order a total ban. His announcement faced criticism from lawmakers and Republican presidential candidates.

Earlier, the president signed legislation to issue sanctions on individual Soviet military people who are considered responsible for the incident. Brown also instructed the Treasury Department to implement sanctions accordingly.

October 22, 1983: President Brown signs legislation to make Martin Luther King Day federal holiday

President Jerry Brown signed a bill into law to establish a federal holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr. The signing ceremony took place in the White House East Room with several civil rights leaders and Coretta Scott King present. The final vote in the House of Representatives on August 2, 1983, was 369 votes in favor and 53 against (out of them 48 Republicans and 5 Democrats) while the final vote in the Senate on October 19, 1983, was 85-10 (2 Democrats and 8 Republicans against). The holiday was observed for the first time on January 20, 1986. It is observed on the third Monday of January.

October 31, 1983: New Gallup poll

Approve: 46% ▲
Disapprove: 46% ▼

November 2, 1983: President Brown rules out US military involvement in Grenada

After the takeover of the left-wing New Jewel Movement of Grenada’s government in 1979, international tensions increased after the Department of Defense reported upon possible arms deliveries from the Soviet Union. After President Jerry Brown was briefed upon these developments during a meeting of the National Security Council in July 1983, he ordered the CIA for a second, independent investigation whether Moscow has indeed shooing arms to Grenada.

However, before any word upon the CIA’s finding was made public, Prime Minister Maurice Bishop has been ousted and put on trial by the junta. In early October, sources report, Bishop met with Secretary of State Sargent Shriver’s personal aide to persuade the Brown Administration there was no direct threat for the United States. After Bishop was replaced by hardliner Bernard Coard, an increasing number of lawmakers in congress raised the possibility of a direct or indirect intervention by US forces to remove the NJM-government.

On November 2, 1983, President Jerry Brown shut down any talks about a possible US military involvement. “I’m concerned with recent developments in Grenada and we wish democratic order would be restored as soon as possible”, the president said, “however, as commander-in-chief I do not see any grounds for US military involvement. At this moment, no threat to the homeland or an American citizen exists.”

November 18, 1983: Lloyd Bentsen confirms consultations over late entry into presidential contest

Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX), 1980 presidential candidate and Brown critic, confirmed reporters that he met with numerous political consultants over a late entry into the presidential contest, possibly challenging President Jerry Brown for the nomination of his party. “Fellow Democrats are concerned we’re about to lose. I share their concern. That’s why I’m weighing my options and let you know soon”, the Texas senator said.

President Brown himself didn’t leave it to his team to respond, but directly spoke to a reporter: “I’m concerned as well. I’m concerned Senator Bentsen is so consumed with his ego that he’s willing to sink our chances for that purpose alone. And I’m even more concerned he’s just embarrassing himself.”

November 30, 1983: New Gallup polls

Approve: 44% ▼
Disapprove: 47% ▲

1984 Democratic presidential primary

Jerry Brown (inc.): 72%
Lloyd Bentsen: 18%

Gerald Ford: 55%
Paul Laxalt: 23%
Howard Baker: 5%
Someone else: 0%
Undecided: 12%

Gerald Ford (R): 51%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 46%
Paul Laxalt (R): 45%

Howard Baker (R): 47%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 45%

Phil Crane (R): 42%

Gerald Ford (R): 52%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 43%

Lloyd Bentsen (D): 47%
Paul Laxalt (R): 44%

Howard Baker (R): 45%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 45%

Lloyd Bentsen (D): 47%
Phil Crane (R): 41%
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #838 on: August 30, 2022, 08:43:56 AM »

I was sure 1984 was becoming something like a reverse RL 1984, now it's more shaping up like actual 1980 and Brown becomes Carter and Ford is Reagan (they're in switched roles here, with Raygun narrowly losing the previous election). Bentsen challenging Brown would make stuff even more interesting.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #839 on: September 03, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »

December 4, 1983

BREAKING: Howard Baker suspends presidential campaign, endorses Gerald Ford

Breaking News out of Tennessee: Senator Howard Baker officially announced the suspension of his campaign. “At this point, we have the level with the reality, my friends”, he told supporters, “and momentum is not our side this time around. After careful evaluation, I’m officially ending my bid for the Republican nomination. It was and honor and I want to thank you for your lasting support”. Baker started off as a frontrunner when he announced his candidacy a few months ago, having already been prominent on the national stage as Ronald Reagan’s running mate in 1980. Baker was supposed to be the leading contender for the moderate wing, but never really gained traction with his White House bid. After former President Gerald Ford jumped into the race, he was drawing a lot of support from Baker, who ultimately was left with low polling numbers and a lack of fundraise.

Immediately after dropping out, Baker said he would vote for former President Gerald Ford in the primary and urged his supporters to do the same. “We want to win back the Oval Office and have a leader with experience and knowledge to restore our standing in the world and get us back on a track for growth”, the senator said. “Therefore, I urge you to join me in supporting President Ford.” In a statement, Ford already thanked Baker for his support and said he’d be open to meet him in the coming days to discuss a role in the Ford campaign.

Baker, who earlier declined to run for reelection to the senate, insisted that he would not get back to running for the senate. Observers already begun speculating that he may be assigned a senior role in a potential second Ford Administration. With Baker’s exit and Phil Crane in a distant place, the 1984 Republican primaries shape up as another head-to-head matchup between a moderate and conservative, with Paul Laxalt battling Gerald Ford. Ford is generally seen as the overwhelming favorite, having racked up several high profile endorsements and a massive campaign war chest thanks to David Rockefeller’s activities to promote moderate Republicans across the board.

December 13, 1983: Presidential candidate Paul Laxalt proposes sweeping tax cut plan, draws criticism by Democrats, Ford to announce own plan in January

Having lately been overshadowed by former President Gerald Ford’s entrance into the 1984 race for the White House, Senator Paul Laxalt sought to reclaim the public spotlight by surprisingly presenting his tax reform plan at a campaign event in Concord, New Hampshire. The leading conservative candidate proposed a tax reform plan that reduces federal income taxes by substantial margins. The Laxalt plan promises to simplify the tax code, reduce corporate taxes to a low of 20% and cap the top tax-income rate at 43% for individuals making more than 100,000 US$ annually. Under the plan, the first 5,000 US$ would be tax-free.

On behalf of the Brown campaign, Vice President Jimmy Carter took aim at the proposal and denounced it as “unserious”. The vice president accused Laxalt of “playing politics” and demanded any “substantial answers how to pay for it”. He warned that, if implemented, the proposal at hand would require drastic spending cuts necessary. “If Senator Laxalt wants to slash social services and federal aid to education, he ought to be honest about that. But he isn’t, because the American people would reject him right away”, Carter added. New York Governor Mario Cuomo during an NBC interview denounced Laxalt’s tax reform proposal as “giant giveaway to the wealthy in the tradition of Goldwater and Reagan.” The governor added that this was the “least serious proposal he has ever seen.”

A spokesman for the Ford campaign declined to comment beyond saying that Laxalt’s plan was not what Ford would stand for. Instead, the spokesman confirmed the former president would present his own tax plan in January, ahead of the February Iowa Caucus.

December 31, 1983: Lloyd Bentsen: “I’m not challenging President Brown, but he should overhaul campaign or withdraw”

The recent drama around Senator Lloyd Bentsen’s presidential ambitions end with some controversy as well: During an ad-hoc press event near his Texas office, Bentsen officially announced not to run for president and not challenge President Jerry Brown. However, he couldn’t resist to call upon the Brown campaign for a “complete overhaul”. Bentsen expressed concerns that his party’s incumbent was headed for defeat against former President Ford, unless they would change the narrative that Brown is weak on the world stage and struggles to get the economy fully back on track. Bentsen finished by saying that he’d still be available if the party asks him. He also added that the president should consider dropping out if he can’t turn things around very fast, which left some observers speechless.

Insiders report that Bentsen’s decision was primarily driven by senate leadership, which pressured him to refrain from running. “You’re not going to do that unless you want us to lose”, Majority Leader Robert Byrd is quoted by a source. After weighing his options again, Bentsen decided not to challenge the president, leaving Jerry Brown de facto as the presumptive nominee for his party.

A spokesman for the Brown campaign declined to further comment, just saying that everything would continue as planned. “The president will soon present his vision at the State of the Union and more events”, the statement reads.

December 31, 1983: New Gallup polls

Approve: 44% ▬
Disapprove: 48% ▲

Paul Laxalt: 29%
Phil Crane: 4%
Undecided: 9%

1984 Iowa Republican Caucus

Gerald Ford: 61%
Paul Laxalt: 14%
Phil Crane: 11%
Undecided: 10%

1984 New Hampshire Republican Primary

Gerald Ford: 47%
Paul Laxalt: 36%
Phil Crane: 6%
Undecided: 11%

1984 South Carolina Republican Primary

Gerald Ford: 43%
Paul Laxalt: 39%
Phil Crane: 3%
Undecided: 15%

1984 Nevada Republican Caucus

Paul Laxalt: 50%
Gerald Ford: 36%

Gerald Ford (R): 52%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 41%

Phil Crane (R): 44%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #840 on: September 08, 2022, 12:49:26 PM »

January 2, 1984: Q4 economic report shows unexpected 1.5% growth, unemployment drops to 5.7%

With some delay, the economic report for Q4 1983 was finally released and showed better than expected results. Although still not reaching pre-recession levels before 1980/81, the US economy unexpectedly grew by 1.5%, while unemployment sunk to 5.7%. As President Jerry Brown and his administration have been faulted for the weak recovery, the report provides some good news for them. Brown already called on congress for additional investments to promote growth.

On behalf of President Jerry Brown, Treasury Secretary Reubin Askew said the nation was on the right track under the Brown Administration and urged Americans for patience. “We came out of a deep hole in 1980 and 1981, and recovery takes time and not always moves up constantly.”

January 8, 1984: As Laxalt and Crane debate, Ford hosts townhall instead

The first debate of the 1984 cycle was hosted in Chicago by the Chicago Tribune on January 8, 1984. Senator Paul Laxalt accepted an invitation by Congressman Phil Crane to a discussion over Republican policies and the right approach to oust President Jerry Brown in the November election. Both are currently battling for the GOP’s presidential nomination. However, former President Gerald Ford didn’t participate in the forum and instead hosted a townhall in Concord, New Hampshire. Laxalt and Crane different little in policy, as both belong to the conservative wing of their party. More or less, Laxalt questioned Crane’s prospects for the nomination and suggested that he could stop Ford from winning the nomination. He still admitted that it was tough to counter Ford, who has by far the most resources and endorsement racked up behind his bid. Both Laxalt and Crane demanded wide tax cuts to stimulate economic growth, deregulation and a much tough approach against the USSR. Laxalt also demanded a debate with Gerald Ford ahead of Super Tuesday.

During his townhall, Ford emphasized on the record of the Rockefeller/Ford Administrations that led to “unprecedented growth at home and peace abroad”. The former chief executive also reinforced his pitch towards women voters and specified his plans to promote female entrepreneurship.

January 12, 1984: Ford campaign introduces sweeping tax plan for middle class tax relief

After Paul Laxalt already presented his own tax plan, which is much similar to Ronald Reagan’s proposals in 1980, Gerald Ford now introduced his own plan for a sweeping tax reform. On the campaign trail in his new homestate of California, Ford himself, joined by chief economic adviser Alan Greenspan presented a plan that seeks to reduce the top tax rate from 70% to 60%, a phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $200,000 to $300,000 as well as tax reductions for all income brackets of at least ten percent, depending on income. Ford also intends various tax exemptions for newly created businesses.

January 21, 1984: President Brown faces criticism over reschedule of State of the Union for campaign events

Days after sending the official invitation for President Jerry Brown’s 1984 State of the Union Address, Speaker Tip O’Neill withdrew and rescheduled the invitation at the president’s own request. The speech has initially planned for January 28 and now rescheduled to February 15. Sources report that President Brown planned a “blitz tour” through Iowa in the closing days of January. Although he doesn’t face a primary challenger, Brown apparently insisted on the tour to draw attention from the ongoing Republican campaign. The prompt reschedule of the State of the Union drew some criticism from Republican lawmakers. Minority Whip Bob Dole (R-KS) said Brown’s attitude was “disrespectful to lawmakers”. President Brown dismissed the critique and said it was a “communication issue” between his team and O’Neill’s staff. “On behalf of my team, I apologize”, he added, “Republican politicians just try to play political theater here.”

Former Republican nominee Ronald Reagan accused Brown of “interference in the Republican primary” and as the move apparently intends to produce headlines in the local press. Another campaign event was scheduled for February in New Hampshire, just ahead of the GOP primary. Meanwhile, Vice President Jimmy Carter will hold two rallies in South Carolina before the Republican contest there.

January 27, 1984: Secretary of State Shriver gives update on Iran-Iraq negotiations: Peace agreement is in sight

Secretary of State Sargent Shriver delivered an update during a briefly scheduled press conference on January 27, saying that after several months of talks between Iran and Iraq, a permanent agreement was “within reach”. The Brown Administration and Soviet Politburo brokered a cease fire back in 1982 and pressured both Iran and Iraq into negotiations over a settlement of their conflict. Although the largely secret conducted talks were complicated and interrupted multiple times, both Shriver and his Soviet counterpart continued the effort. According to Shriver, an official peace treaty that also seeks certain protections for various groups in Iraq could be presented to the public in the coming months.

Late January 1984: Republican candidates makes final play for Iowa

Ahead of the Iowa Caucus, the three remaining Republican candidates made their final plays to the voters of the Midwestern states. While Crane and Laxalt continued to criticize Ford from the right and see themselves in Reagan’s tradition, the former president stressed his vast experience in government and “electability”, pointing to polls showing him performance best against President Brown. Both Ford and Laxalt did extended bus tours during the final days of January, though the latter returned to DC for senate business on January 30.

Ford holds a substantial polling lead ahead of the contest, both in Iowa and nationwide. Ford has the largest lead among Republican women, winning three quarters of them.

January 31, 1984: New Gallup polls

Disapprove: 45% ▼

Gerald Ford: 56%
Paul Laxalt: 27%

Gerald Ford: 63%
Paul Laxalt: 24%
Phil Crane: 8%
Undecided: 5%

Gerald Ford (R): 50%

Paul Laxalt (R): 46%

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #841 on: September 08, 2022, 03:59:06 PM »

January 2, 1984: Q4 economic report shows unexpected 1.5% growth, unemployment drops to 5.7%

With some delay, the economic report for Q4 1983 was finally released and showed better than expected results. Although still not reaching pre-recession levels before 1980/81, the US economy unexpectedly grew by 1.5%, while unemployment sunk to 5.7%. As President Jerry Brown and his administration have been faulted for the weak recovery, the report provides some good news for them. Brown already called on congress for additional investments to promote growth.

On behalf of President Jerry Brown, Treasury Secretary Reubin Askew said the nation was on the right track under the Brown Administration and urged Americans for patience. “We came out of a deep hole in 1980 and 1981, and recovery takes time and not always moves up constantly.”

January 8, 1984: As Laxalt and Crane debate, Ford hosts townhall instead

The first debate of the 1984 cycle was hosted in Chicago by the Chicago Tribune on January 8, 1984. Senator Paul Laxalt accepted an invitation by Congressman Phil Crane to a discussion over Republican policies and the right approach to oust President Jerry Brown in the November election. Both are currently battling for the GOP’s presidential nomination. However, former President Gerald Ford didn’t participate in the forum and instead hosted a townhall in Concord, New Hampshire. Laxalt and Crane different little in policy, as both belong to the conservative wing of their party. More or less, Laxalt questioned Crane’s prospects for the nomination and suggested that he could stop Ford from winning the nomination. He still admitted that it was tough to counter Ford, who has by far the most resources and endorsement racked up behind his bid. Both Laxalt and Crane demanded wide tax cuts to stimulate economic growth, deregulation and a much tough approach against the USSR. Laxalt also demanded a debate with Gerald Ford ahead of Super Tuesday.

During his townhall, Ford emphasized on the record of the Rockefeller/Ford Administrations that led to “unprecedented growth at home and peace abroad”. The former chief executive also reinforced his pitch towards women voters and specified his plans to promote female entrepreneurship.

January 12, 1984: Ford campaign introduces sweeping tax plan for middle class tax relief

After Paul Laxalt already presented his own tax plan, which is much similar to Ronald Reagan’s proposals in 1980, Gerald Ford now introduced his own plan for a sweeping tax reform. On the campaign trail in his new homestate of California, Ford himself, joined by chief economic adviser Alan Greenspan presented a plan that seeks to reduce the top tax rate from 70% to 60%, a phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $200,000 to $300,000 as well as tax reductions for all income brackets of at least ten percent, depending on income. Ford also intends various tax exemptions for newly created businesses.

January 21, 1984: President Brown faces criticism over reschedule of State of the Union for campaign events

Days after sending the official invitation for President Jerry Brown’s 1984 State of the Union Address, Speaker Tip O’Neill withdrew and rescheduled the invitation at the president’s own request. The speech has initially planned for January 28 and now rescheduled to February 15. Sources report that President Brown planned a “blitz tour” through Iowa in the closing days of January. Although he doesn’t face a primary challenger, Brown apparently insisted on the tour to draw attention from the ongoing Republican campaign. The prompt reschedule of the State of the Union drew some criticism from Republican lawmakers. Minority Whip Bob Dole (R-KS) said Brown’s attitude was “disrespectful to lawmakers”. President Brown dismissed the critique and said it was a “communication issue” between his team and O’Neill’s staff. “On behalf of my team, I apologize”, he added, “Republican politicians just try to play political theater here.”

Former Republican nominee Ronald Reagan accused Brown of “interference in the Republican primary” and as the move apparently intends to produce headlines in the local press. Another campaign event was scheduled for February in New Hampshire, just ahead of the GOP primary. Meanwhile, Vice President Jimmy Carter will hold two rallies in South Carolina before the Republican contest there.

January 27, 1984: Secretary of State Shriver gives update on Iran-Iraq negotiations: Peace agreement is in sight

Secretary of State Sargent Shriver delivered an update during a briefly scheduled press conference on January 27, saying that after several months of talks between Iran and Iraq, a permanent agreement was “within reach”. The Brown Administration and Soviet Politburo brokered a cease fire back in 1982 and pressured both Iran and Iraq into negotiations over a settlement of their conflict. Although the largely secret conducted talks were complicated and interrupted multiple times, both Shriver and his Soviet counterpart continued the effort. According to Shriver, an official peace treaty that also seeks certain protections for various groups in Iraq could be presented to the public in the coming months.

Late January 1984: Republican candidates makes final play for Iowa

Ahead of the Iowa Caucus, the three remaining Republican candidates made their final plays to the voters of the Midwestern states. While Crane and Laxalt continued to criticize Ford from the right and see themselves in Reagan’s tradition, the former president stressed his vast experience in government and “electability”, pointing to polls showing him performance best against President Brown. Both Ford and Laxalt did extended bus tours during the final days of January, though the latter returned to DC for senate business on January 30.

Ford holds a substantial polling lead ahead of the contest, both in Iowa and nationwide. Ford has the largest lead among Republican women, winning three quarters of them.

January 31, 1984: New Gallup polls

Disapprove: 45% ▼

Gerald Ford: 56%
Paul Laxalt: 27%

Gerald Ford: 63%
Paul Laxalt: 24%
Undecided: 5%

Gerald Ford (R): 50%

Paul Laxalt (R): 46%

I'd like to see a county map
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #842 on: September 12, 2022, 01:26:09 PM »

February 7, 1984

BREAKING: Gerald Ford cruises to victory in Iowa Republican Caucus

+++ Former president easily wins first contest for GOP nomination +++

+++ Laxalt comes in distant 2nd, Crane vows to continue campaign +++

+++ President Brown without opposition +++

Iowa Republican Caucus
✓ Gerald Ford: 68.0%
Paul Laxalt: 25.7%
Phil Crane: 6.2%

1984’s primary season has official begun with the Iowa Caucus: Right after polls closing, numerous media outlets already called the GOP Caucus in favor of former President Gerald Ford, winning a little more than two thirds of the vote. He also swept all of Iowa’s 99 counties, easily beating his closet rival, Nevada Senator and conservative hopeful Paul Laxalt. Ford already won the Iowa Caucus in 1980 over Ronald Reagan, but with a smaller margin. While ballots were still counted, Ford already addressed his supporters outside his Des Moines campaign headquarters and thanked Republican voters for their support. Exit polls also showed the former president winning nearly 75% of the female vote.

Senator Paul Laxalt congratulated Ford to his “decisive victory”, but also said the fight would continue. Meanwhile, Illinois Congressman Phil Crane finished third, remaining in single digits. However, he pledged to continue his campaign to Super Tuesday. On the Democratic side, meanwhile, President Jerry Brown won all delegates and had no opponent.

February 9, 1984: New report suggests Brown Administration obstructs Afghan aid against congress’ wishes

After a heated exchange between Defense Secretary Edmund Muskie and Senator Pete Wilson (R-CA) the previous year, a new report by the New York Times again raises questions over the Brown Administration’s handling of Afghan aid and arms deliveries. President Brown initially opposed any military aid to Afghan rebels fighting Soviet invaders due to concerns over their political and extreme religious views. Nonetheless, after reports over severe Soviet war crimes emerged, congress passed a law sponsored by Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) and Bob Dole (R-KS) to grant such aid regardless. The bill was vetoed by President Brown, but could not be sustained over congressional opposition was subsequently overridden.

Previously, the administration was already accused of holding up military aid and delay its shipment. Especially congressional Republicans and even some Democrats openly expressed dissatisfaction over some Soviet gains in the ongoing war. Defense Secretary Muskie repeatedly dismissed such critique and said the administration was keeping shipments secret. However, a new report from February 9, quoting a leaked Pentagon paper, that no aid has been sent since late October, and just a small number in the month before. House Minority Leader Bob Michel immediately demanded congress to launch an investigation as to whether the administration was actively holding up aid against federal law.

The White House has not immediately responded to any of these claims. A Pentagon spokesman described the leaked paper “incomplete and intentionally misleading”, with no further comment.

According to sources familiar, the Brown Administration is likely to reach out to congressional allies and prevent any investigation to take place. It’s being described as risky strategy, though an actual investigation may generate more negative headlines than welcome during an election year.

February 14, 1984

BREAKING: Gerald Ford wins New Hampshire primary with ease

+++ Ford wins first-in-the nation primary in a landslide, overperforming polls +++

+++ Laxalt: “The fight has just begun!” +++

New Hampshire Republican Primary
✓ Gerald Ford: 59.1%
Paul Laxalt: 35.5%
Phil Crane: 5.1%

Before the first in the nation primary was about to be held, polls already suggested a Ford victory, though by a smaller margin than Iowa. While polls were correct over the smaller margin, the former president outperformed polls and expectations, scoring another major victory after his triumph in Iowa. Less than ten minutes after poll closing time, local radio stations already declared Ford the winner. “We’re at the beginning of a long journey, but it looks like we’re just running through!” Ford told supporters in Concord after he crisscrossed the state over the past week.

Although Paul Laxalt expected to lose in New Hampshire, he was seemingly surprised by the magnitude. However, he told his supporters that the “fight has just begun”, hoping to stop Ford’s momentum by not only winning his homestate of Nevada, but also South Carolina, where polls showed a closer race.

As Laxalt is headed for big win in Nevada, Ford campaign goes full in in South Carolina

With new momentum from Iowa and New Hampshire, the Ford campaign immediately turned its attention to South Carolina, where the next contest was scheduled for February 28 (this time the same day as Nevada). Polls lately suggested a closer race between Ford and Laxalt, and the former hopes to expand his support into the South and demonstrate his electability in that part of the country.

While the Laxalt campaign only put limited resources into Nevada, where their candidate and favorite son is ahead, the conservative leader’s focus also shifted towards South Carolina. However, late reports from within the campaign claim some dissatisfaction over Ronald Reagan’s refusal to endorse his old friend over the primary. Some observers suggested this was a tactical move by Reagan, who seeks to repair his relationship with Ford, whom he expects to win the nomination.

The Republican Primary map

Gerald Ford: 2% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 0.5% of delegates
Phil Crane: 0% of delegates

February 15, 1984: Primary Gallup polls

1984 South Carolina Republican Primary

Gerald Ford: 46%
Paul Laxalt: 38%

1984 Nevada Republican Caucus

Paul Laxalt: 52%
Gerald Ford: 33%
Phil Crane: 10%
Undecided: 7%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #843 on: September 12, 2022, 01:36:23 PM »

If Laxalt can't win SC its over
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #844 on: September 15, 2022, 01:19:18 PM »

February 15, 1984

President Jerry Brown’s State of the Union Address

+++ President Brown sees America “on right track” and urges for patience, indirectly criticizes Ford +++

+++ Proposes “fairer taxes system” and new spending +++

+++ “World a more stable place thanks to our diplomacy” +++

For the final time during his first term, President Jerry Brown delivered his State of the Union Address to congress and the nation. The event was originally scheduled for January and later delayed to February, what brought him some criticism after stumping the campaign trail in states that held Republican primaries. “Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow citizens, I can report to the nation and the world, that America is on the right track”, Brown promptly opened his 33-minute speech in the House chamber. “We are at peace, unemployment is declining, the deficit is declining and the recession is long over”, he added. Nonetheless, the chief executive admitted economic growth was not where it’s supposed to be an and called upon congress for additional measures to stimulate growth, such as more public investments into infrastructure, science and education. “I know, we’re talking about a lot of money here, my friends”, Brown told lawmakers, “that’s why I’m asking you to pass a comprehensive tax reform that provides more relief for working people, increases taxes on high incomes and closes tax loopholes. Together we can do it and make it possible.” Brown also defended his stance not to increase defense spending over the levels of the inflation rate.

Brown also added that he inherited an economy in decline and indirectly criticized his potential challenger, former President Gerald Ford. “I let you know a secret: It wasn’t my party that controlled the White House before I came in”, he said, “yet, there are those who want us go back. And there are others, that want to take us further back. Back to the 20s. I will never go back, that much is certain.” The latter remark was clearly directed at Senator Paul Laxalt, who was also present. The president went on to propose additional spending in the coming fiscal years, after the presidential election, with regard to healthcare, education, housing and infrastructure. Unlike in 1982 and 1983, he spent virtually no time on healthcare reform, which earlier failed in congress. Instead Brown intends to make it campaign issue and launch a new attempt after the election.

On foreign policy, which he devoted the final 10 minutes of his speech, the commander-in-chief defended his record and caution with any arms sales and supplies. “My administration does execute federal law”, he said with regard to Afghanistan, “contrary what was claimed by political operators with an own agenda for November. The truth, however, is that diplomacy works. It did work and continues to work. We make steady progress. Sometimes it just takes time.” Lastly, President Brown said he intends to begin new arms reduction talks with the USSR as soon as certain, unspecified pre-conditions are met.

The Republican response: Governor Deukmejian says “Brown has failed America”

The Republican response was left to Governor Deukmejian this time around, a successor of Brown’s who previously endorsed Gerald Ford’s presidential bid. “Brown has failed America”, Deukmejian told the audience, “the truth is, President Brown urged is for patience every straight year since taking office. But in reality, he can no longer hide and escape. He can no longer deny that our economy is not growing the way it should. Indeed, real incomes are declining. And what about crime? President Brown didn’t mention the word a single time. He’s man that has lost touch with Americans.”

The governor also sharply criticized the administration’s foreign policy. “After three years, there’s just more of the same: More weakness against Moscow, no strategy on Asia and no improvement in allied relationships we depend on.” Deukmejian then called upon voters to chose a different path in November. “President Brown doesn’t want us go back? But he offered no plan forward. Let us go back to the days when there was robust growth, no deficits and America more respected.”

February 28, 1984

BREAKING: As Laxalt wins native of Nevada, Ford victory in South Carolina sends big signal

+++ Gerald Ford secures win in South Carolina, enters Super Tuesday in strong position +++

+++ Laxalt: “Next 14 days will decide the fate of our party” +++

+++ Crane says campaign continues to Super Tuesday, acknowledges nomination is lost +++

Nevada Republican Caucus
✓ Paul Laxalt: 62.2%
Gerald Ford: 27.0%
Phil Crane: 9.9%

South Carolina Republican Primary
✓ Gerald Ford: 51.4%
Paul Laxalt: 45.1%
Phil Crane: 3.1%

The last day of February saw the two remaining contests of the month, this time both on the same day. The eyes of the nation were on South Carolina, where polls suggested a closer race than in Iowa and New Hampshire and Senator Paul Laxalt hoped to change the race’s dynamics in his favor after former President Gerald Ford turned the entire White House contest upside down after his announcement in October.

However, as the results begun coming in, Ford started off with a strong lead, especially by running up strong numbers in the Charleston area. As counting continued, Laxalt started closing the gap, but in the end he fell short by a fair margin. The former president waited until the late night and all votes were counted before he spoke to supporters and the press. “I’m humbled by your support”, he said, “And I’m sure we have now demonstrated that we have not only pulled together a winning coalition, but a coalition for a decisive victory next Tuesday and November.”

One bright spot for the Laxalt campaign was their decisive victory in his home state of Nevada. Nonetheless, this was not the night the conservative and his supporters hoped for. “The next 14 days will determine the fate of our party”, he told supporters and urged them to keep on fighting. With Super Tuesday only a week away, time was rather short to turn things around. According to polls, Gerald Ford has a robust lead in several states. Observers believe the former president could essentially secure the nomination very early, which would allow him to turn his attention to the general election.

Phil Crane, who again came in a very distant third, confirmed his campaign would still go into Super Tuesday, but said that "de facto our chances for the nomination are very low."

The Republican primary map

Gerald Ford: 3% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 1% of delegates

February 29, 1984: New Gallup polls

With President Brown's State of the Union Address received well by a majority of Americans, according to Gallup it had a 56% positive and 39% negative rating, his approval rating is back above water, even though by a slim margin. That also reflects new general election matchups, with Gerald Ford now the only Republican candidate still leading. However, his lead has dropped to four points.

Approve: 47% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▬

Gerald Ford: 60%

Gerald Ford (R): 49%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 47%

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #845 on: September 15, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »

February 15, 1984

President Jerry Brown’s State of the Union Address

+++ President Brown sees America “on right track” and urges for patience, indirectly criticizes Ford +++

+++ Proposes “fairer taxes system” and new spending +++

+++ “World a more stable place thanks to our diplomacy” +++

For the final time during his first term, President Jerry Brown delivered his State of the Union Address to congress and the nation. The event was originally scheduled for January and later delayed to February, what brought him some criticism after stumping the campaign trail in states that held Republican primaries. “Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow citizens, I can report to the nation and the world, that America is on the right track”, Brown promptly opened his 33-minute speech in the House chamber. “We are at peace, unemployment is declining, the deficit is declining and the recession is long over”, he added. Nonetheless, the chief executive admitted economic growth was not where it’s supposed to be an and called upon congress for additional measures to stimulate growth, such as more public investments into infrastructure, science and education. “I know, we’re talking about a lot of money here, my friends”, Brown told lawmakers, “that’s why I’m asking you to pass a comprehensive tax reform that provides more relief for working people, increases taxes on high incomes and closes tax loopholes. Together we can do it and make it possible.” Brown also defended his stance not to increase defense spending over the levels of the inflation rate.

Brown also added that he inherited an economy in decline and indirectly criticized his potential challenger, former President Gerald Ford. “I let you know a secret: It wasn’t my party that controlled the White House before I came in”, he said, “yet, there are those who want us go back. And there are others, that want to take us further back. Back to the 20s. I will never go back, that much is certain.” The latter remark was clearly directed at Senator Paul Laxalt, who was also present. The president went on to propose additional spending in the coming fiscal years, after the presidential election, with regard to healthcare, education, housing and infrastructure. Unlike in 1982 and 1983, he spent virtually no time on healthcare reform, which earlier failed in congress. Instead Brown intends to make it campaign issue and launch a new attempt after the election.

On foreign policy, which he devoted the final 10 minutes of his speech, the commander-in-chief defended his record and caution with any arms sales and supplies. “My administration does execute federal law”, he said with regard to Afghanistan, “contrary what was claimed by political operators with an own agenda for November. The truth, however, is that diplomacy works. It did work and continues to work. We make steady progress. Sometimes it just takes time.” Lastly, President Brown said he intends to begin new arms reduction talks with the USSR as soon as certain, unspecified pre-conditions are met.

The Republican response: Governor Deukmejian says “Brown has failed America”

The Republican response was left to Governor Deukmejian this time around, a successor of Brown’s who previously endorsed Gerald Ford’s presidential bid. “Brown has failed America”, Deukmejian told the audience, “the truth is, President Brown urged is for patience every straight year since taking office. But in reality, he can no longer hide and escape. He can no longer deny that our economy is not growing the way it should. Indeed, real incomes are declining. And what about crime? President Brown didn’t mention the word a single time. He’s man that has lost touch with Americans.”

The governor also sharply criticized the administration’s foreign policy. “After three years, there’s just more of the same: More weakness against Moscow, no strategy on Asia and no improvement in allied relationships we depend on.” Deukmejian then called upon voters to chose a different path in November. “President Brown doesn’t want us go back? But he offered no plan forward. Let us go back to the days when there was robust growth, no deficits and America more respected.”

February 28, 1984

BREAKING: As Laxalt wins native of Nevada, Ford victory in South Carolina sends big signal

+++ Gerald Ford secures win in South Carolina, enters Super Tuesday in strong position +++

+++ Laxalt: “Next 14 days will decide the fate of our party” +++

+++ Crane says campaign continues to Super Tuesday, acknowledges nomination is lost +++

Nevada Republican Caucus
✓ Paul Laxalt: 62.2%
Gerald Ford: 27.0%
Phil Crane: 9.9%

South Carolina Republican Primary
✓ Gerald Ford: 51.4%
Paul Laxalt: 45.1%
Phil Crane: 3.1%

The last day of February saw the two remaining contests of the month, this time both on the same day. The eyes of the nation were on South Carolina, where polls suggested a closer race than in Iowa and New Hampshire and Senator Paul Laxalt hoped to change the race’s dynamics in his favor after former President Gerald Ford turned the entire White House contest upside down after his announcement in October.

However, as the results begun coming in, Ford started off with a strong lead, especially by running up strong numbers in the Charleston area. As counting continued, Laxalt started closing the gap, but in the end he fell short by a fair margin. The former president waited until the late night and all votes were counted before he spoke to supporters and the press. “I’m humbled by your support”, he said, “And I’m sure we have now demonstrated that we have not only pulled together a winning coalition, but a coalition for a decisive victory next Tuesday and November.”

One bright spot for the Laxalt campaign was their decisive victory in his home state of Nevada. Nonetheless, this was not the night the conservative and his supporters hoped for. “The next 14 days will determine the fate of our party”, he told supporters and urged them to keep on fighting. With Super Tuesday only a week away, time was rather short to turn things around. According to polls, Gerald Ford has a robust lead in several states. Observers believe the former president could essentially secure the nomination very early, which would allow him to turn his attention to the general election.

Phil Crane, who again came in a very distant third, confirmed his campaign would still go into Super Tuesday, but said that "de facto our chances for the nomination are very low."

Gerald Ford: 3% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 1% of delegates

February 29, 1984: New Gallup polls

With President Brown's State of the Union Address received well by a majority of Americans, according to Gallup it had a 56% positive and 39% negative rating, his approval rating is back above water, even though by a slim margin. That also reflects new general election matchups, with Gerald Ford now the only Republican candidate still leading. However, his lead has dropped to four points.

Approve: 47% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▬

Gerald Ford: 60%

Gerald Ford (R): 49%

My guess is that Gerald Ford wins all states in super tuesday
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #846 on: September 15, 2022, 03:54:59 PM »

Yah it’s over at this point as if Laxalt can’t win SC there is no way he has a chance at the nomination
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #847 on: September 22, 2022, 01:54:19 PM »

March 6, 1984

SUPER TUESDAY: Ford beats Laxalt in key races, racks up most delegates

+++ Former President wins majority of contests, including California and Texas, builds massive delegate lead +++

+++ Laxalt wins four states, admits defeat this night, leaves future of campaign open +++

+++ Phil Crane suspends campaign, files for reelection to House +++

SUPER TUESDAY RESULTS

Alabama
✓ Paul Laxalt: 49.9%
Gerald Ford: 43.0%
Phil Crane: 6.7%

Arkansas
✓ Gerald Ford: 55.0%
Paul Laxalt: 41.5%
Phil Crane: 8.1%

California
✓ Gerald Ford: 59.6%
Paul Laxalt: 35.5%
Phil Crane: 6.0%

Colorado
✓ Gerald Ford: 53.5%
Paul Laxalt: 44.2%
Phil Crane: 2.9%

Maine
✓ Gerald Ford: 61.1%
Paul Laxalt: 32.9%
Phil Crane: 6.6%

Massachusetts
✓ Gerald Ford: 76.6%
Paul Laxalt: 21.7%
Phil Crane: 0.9%

Minnesota
✓ Gerald Ford: 63.8%
Paul Laxalt: 30.0%
Phil Crane: 6.4%

North Carolina
✓ Paul Laxalt: 46.8%
Gerald Ford: 45.5%
Phil Crane: 6.1%

Oklahoma
✓ Paul Laxalt: 52.0%
Gerald Ford: 47.1%
Phil Crane: 0.8%

Texas
✓ Gerald Ford: 54.4%
Paul Laxalt: 40.3%
Phil Crane: 5.0%

Utah
✓ Paul Laxalt: 58.8%
Gerald Ford: 39.5%
Phil Crane: 1.0%

Vermont
✓ Gerald Ford: 65.5%
Paul Laxalt: 31.0%
Phil Crane: 3.3%

Virginia
✓ Gerald Ford: 54.7%
Paul Laxalt: 42.4%
Phil Crane: 1.9%

Gerald Ford addresses supporters: “We’re on track to win, and win big!”

He was the winner of the night, and as soon as California's primary was called for Ford right away, the former president addressed a crowd of supporters and the public. "We're on track to win, and win big!", Ford said, "we're in a position where we can seal the deal over the next few weeks so that we can start focusing on the general election." Ford also thanked his campaign team and pointed out that in all contests he won the female vote by overwhelming margins. Ford also renewed his pledges to work for gender equality, restore economic growth and approach a more hardline position against the Soviet Union.

Ford won all but four contests this night, including California, Texas and Virginia. Although he still needs another 20% of total delegates, his lead over Laxalt has substantially grown with Super Tuesday providing him these wins.

Paul Laxalt: “This was a defeat for us”

It took almost to midnight before Paul Laxalt gave a brief statement, addressing his supporters and the press. "We won a few individual contests, but we have to admit that this night was a defeat for us. I congretulate President Ford to his success", the senator said.

Laxalt left open whether he would continue his campaign after Ford's victories resulted in a major delegate lead for the former president. "We take a deep breath today and will look at everything tomorrow, when the dust settled", he added at the end of his remarks. Insiders report that Laxalt most likely continues to the next round of contests and then might withdraw, should Ford continue is streaks of success. However, with over 30% of delegates already won by Ford, a Laxalt nomination looks almost impossible at this point.

Phil Crane suspends campaign

Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, whose bid was always considered a longshot, finally suspended his campaign after failing to break even double digits in a single contest. "It is clear that our campaign can no longer sustain. Thank you all", he opened his evening remarks. A spokesman confirmed Crane's intention to run for reelection for congress. Asked whether he would endorse Laxalt, the spokesman declined.

Gerald Ford: 30% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 9% of delegates

March 7, 1984: CBS Special Coverage in aftermath of Super Tuesday; Richard Nixon sits down with Dan Rather to discuss campaign

Dan Rather: Good morning everyone, it is Wednesday, March 7, one day after an impressive Super Tuesday. I am delighted to discuss these results and the campaign with Republican icon Richard Nixon, a man who really needs no introduction. Congressman, senator, vice president, secretary of state and two time presidential nominee. Our guest, Mr. Nixon, already came out last year and endorsed President’s bid for the White House. Welcome to the program, Sir.

Richard Nixon: My pleasure, Dan.

Dan Rather: Mr. Secretary, we’ve now got all the results and your former boss, President Ford, came out winning several contests and has built an almost insurmountable lead in delegates. Is the nomination his?

Richard Nixon: Well, as a matter of fact, it is not finally decided yet and Senator Laxalt continues to be in the race, as I understand, but it would be a huge surprise if the nomination doesn’t turn out that way.

Dan Rather: How do you explain President Ford doing so well, and why couldn’t he do it four years ago when he was a sitting president?

Richard Nixon: Four years ago, there was a charismatic and well-known conservative challenger named Ronald Reagan in a time we were facing several crisis that conservative forces successfully blamed the administration for. That caused backlash within that faction of the party. Remember that President Ford was never really unpopular with Americans as a whole, even not in 1980. Rockefeller Republicans, Independents and even some Democrats only started to realize they needed to turn out and support President Ford when momentum was no longer on his side. This time, things have changed. Senator Laxalt obviously is nowhere near as known as Governor Reagan was. In addition, many Republicans across the spectrum are dissatisfied with the Brown Administration. Mr. Ford as successfully made the case that he’s best suited to defeat President Brown. I tend to agree with that, which is one of several reasons I back his candidacy.

Dan Rather: Does that mean you think Mr. Ford is going to reclaim the White House?

Richard Nixon: The polls suggest so, but I would be more cautious. Incumbency in a general election is a huge factor. It cannot be underestimated. It shouldn’t. This country has not voted out an incumbent president since 1932.

Dan Rather: So you believe the polls are off?

Richard Nixon: Not necessarily that much off. But we have eight months to go. That is a very long time. I might remind you that in March 1968, it looked like I was beating President Johnson. It didn’t happen. Polls lately suggest President Ford is going to win a substantial victory. It’s possible, but I’d bet on a closer result unless circumstances change drastically. Especially economic numbers and potential foreign policy trouble spots.

Dan Rather: Mr. Secretary, you serve as an informal adviser to Mr. Ford. You said you’re not going to return to government. However, would you recommend some vice presidential candidates for him?

Richard Nixon: I think that’s premature to discuss. All I can say is that President Ford should seriously look for someone he can work with. That’s more important than checking a few geography boxes. But we will let you know once that topic comes up.

Dan Rather: Thank you very much for your insights.

Richard Nixon: Always. Thanks for having me.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #848 on: September 22, 2022, 02:25:54 PM »

It would really be the twist if it was liberal republicans being the realigners here rather than another era of new deal democrats
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #849 on: September 22, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »

It would really be the twist if it was liberal republicans being the realigners here rather than another era of new deal democrats

Kind of, though conservatives already found their place in the Republican Party would still make up at least half of the party. I also wouldn't call Ford a liberal Republican, more like a moderate Republican (though some of his cultural views are close to "liberal").

This timeline is actually more of a continuation of the New Deal era, where both parties are big tents, with the Democrats being on the center to center-left and Republicans on the center to center-right (very broadly spoken).
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies