The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:12:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 106747 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 12, 2022, 07:02:52 AM »

President Johnson
President Johnson
YaBB God

★★★★★

Grade President Brown’s Presidency so far
« on: October 1, 1981 8:47:11 pm »

I’d give him a solid B so far as I am supportive of his agenda on domestic policy and I hope he succeeds in repealing Taft-Hartley which is terrible law . I am also supportive of his stimulus plan and hope that some sort of deal passes and currently I’m happy that Reagan didn’t win as we are seeing how badly Thatcherism so far is failing in the UK and we don’t need the leading economic power on earth to go down the same route . Hopefully Labour and The Alliance Party work together in 1983 to bring a Brown style government to the UK

On foreign affairs I like that he is trying to reduce tensions with adversaries and think that’s the right approach to go . I do not agree with the Eisenhower era approach of arming rebels  just cause they are anti communist and it’s good to see President Brown not go down that approach

New School Republican
Computer69
YaBB God

★★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 08:49:23 pm »

I’d give it a D as his foreign policy so far has been way too passive against the communists and I hope congress overrides his decision to block arms to anti communist rebels . His economic stimulus plan also doesn't go anywhere near as far enough and there needs to be major tax cuts all across the board for us to get out of this crises . Inflation was caused by a supply crises and supply side economics are the perfect antidote to get us out of this mess .

People should watch Milton Friedman’s free to choose series as it’s a great one and it explains why we are in the crises we are . Kemp 1984!!!!!

A little late to the party but

Moonbeam Man good
Liam
Sr Member

★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 08:59:42 pm »

A-.

A lot of this is just the media and progressives attempting to “”hold Brown accountable”” by blocking quite literally everything he is proposing
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #751 on: April 12, 2022, 08:41:23 AM »

Since we're already at it, thread gets bumped:

The Brown
Precinct

BRTD
Geek
★★★★★

Grade President Brown’s presidency so far
« Reply #26 on: January 1, 1982, 05:51:26 pm »

LMFAO… Brown’s approval dropped to 44% in a SINGLE poll and Atlas is freakin’ out. Remember when Rockefeller was underwater in his first term? You guys never learn. I will enjoy bumping this thread in Nov '84 and y'all are then living in a Brown precinct Tongue

SnowLabrador
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

« Reply #27 on: January 1, 1982, 05:59:45 pm »

I give him A-, he’s calling for the right policies, but the party turned away already.

The recent drop in approval ratings is only the beginning, my friends. Brown managed to pull it off by a mere 200 votes in a usually red-leaning state against a candidate who had over a decade of smears as baggage. And even this guy is now leading Brown by double digits. Hell, he can’t even get beyond a tie against Curb! Brown is absolutely going to lose in ’84, and very badly. I guess the real poll here is only the one against Ford, who has universal name recognition. Any Republican will get 54% of the vote. The 50 EV amendment will absolutely pass, and we haven't won the NPV since 1968. So I wouldn't be surprised to see another 500+ EV. GOP win.

Brown will be at 35% approval in November and we lose 50 House seats at minimum. 1984 will be a 1952 redux at best.

Mr.Jerrald Brown
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #28 on: January 1, 1982, 06:19:02 pm »

Quote from: SnowLabrador
I give him A-, he’s calling for the right policies, but the party turned away already.

The recent drop in approval ratings is only the beginning, my friends. Brown managed to pull it off by a mere 200 votes in a usually red-leaning state against a candidate who had over a decade of smears as baggage. And even this guy is now leading Brown by double digits. Hell, he can’t even get beyond a tie against Curb! Brown is absolutely going to lose in ’84, and very badly. I guess the real poll here is only the one against Ford, who has universal name recognition. Any Republican will get 54% of the vote. The 50 EV amendment will absolutely pass, and we haven't won the NPV since 1968. So I wouldn't be surprised to see another 500+ EV. GOP win.

Brown will be at 35% approval in November and we lose 50 House seats at minimum. 1984 will be a 1952 redux at best.

Lol, Rs arent winning House. Dont you realize we’re 300 days from election and PREZ BROWN is gonna pass minimum wage with secular trifecta? ßtop dooming. You are Raygun apologist and predicted 400 EV nut🌰🌰map.

Gallup is corrupted pollster said Ford is up before dropped out of race due to fact Rockefeller had heart attack when he was with females in office. Now hes gone and Rs cant crack 270 freiwall NROWN created with CA. Thats why Cavez was put in cabinet despite Rs voting against nomination😎😎 We need more polls in 300 days, but its gonna be 240(180 H since no 270 state has flipped anyways😆

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #752 on: April 12, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »

The Brown
Precinct

BRTD
Geek
★★★★★

LMFAO… Brown’s approval dropped to 44% in a SINGLE poll and Atlas is freakin’ out. Remember when Rockefeller was underwater in his first term? You guys never learn. I will enjoy bumping this thread in Nov '84 and y'all are then living in a Brown precinct Tongue

SnowLabrador
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

Mr.Jerrald Brown
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

Lol, Rs arent winning House. Dont you realize we’re 300 days from election and PREZ BROWN is gonna pass minimum wage with secular trifecta? ßtop dooming. You are Raygun apologist and predicted 400 EV nut🌰🌰map.

Gallup is corrupted pollster said Ford is up before dropped out of race due to fact Rockefeller had heart attack when he was with females in office. Now hes gone and Rs cant crack 270 freiwall NROWN created with CA. Thats why Cavez was put in cabinet despite Rs voting against nomination😎😎 We need more polls in 300 days, but its gonna be 240(180 H since no 270 state has flipped anyways😆

Lmao, this is brilliant. Especially OC.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #753 on: April 12, 2022, 12:59:39 PM »

The Brown
Precinct

BRTD
Geek
★★★★★

SnowLabrador
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

Mr.Jerrald Brown
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

Would I be the SN of 1980 Atlas lol
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »

The Brown
Precinct

BRTD
Geek
★★★★★

SnowLabrador
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

Mr.Jerrald Brown
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

Would I be the SN of 1980 Atlas lol
I honestly don’t know what I would be saying lol
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2022, 01:53:33 PM »

March 8, 1982

BREAKING: VICE PRESIDENT CHURCH IS DEAD

+++ Frank Church, 57, passed away of fatal gun wounds +++
+++ First VP to be assassinated +++
+++ President Brown addresses nation +++

Dan Rather: Ladies and Gentlemen, we have the President of the United States addressing the nation this very moment. We don’t know what exactly he is going to say, but the fact that a statement was announced at 7.30 am. local time might tell us something not good. Let’s listen in.

President Brown: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of the press, my fellow Americans: This morning, I have the painful duty to announce that a patriot and one of the finest public servants I have gotten to know, Vice President Frank Church, has passed away at hospital less than an hour ago. About 25 minutes ago, I was informed by the White House’s chief medical adviser, that our beloved vice president did not survive the severe wound caused by gunshot yesterday evening. Just about ten minutes ago, I called the Second Lady and Church family to express my deepest condolences to their unimaginable loss. I told them that Linda’s and my thoughts and prayer are with them. America stands with the Church family in this moment of tragedy and pain. Later this morning, I will sign a presidential proclamation declaring three days of national sorrow. Additionally, I will sign an order to lower all flags on federal government buildings as we mourn the loss of Vice President Church.

In his long career in public service, as senator since 1957 and vice president afterwards, following honorable military service during World War II, Frank Forrester Church has been one of the finest public servants this country had the blessing to have. His openness, competence and friendship was valued across the aisle and found international admiration. His tireless dedication to fight for government accountability, equal rights for all, economic prosperity and freedom at home and around the world will forever in the collective mind of this country. And although he rose to the highest levels of government, Frank Church never forgot his humble roots in the Idaho. He never forgot his constituents and always there when they needed him. On a personal note, to myself and all members of the administration, this is a painful loss, as we loved so dearly working with him.

My fellow Americans, I also want to use this opportunity to rally our nation against gun violence. Now, in the immediate aftermath of this tragedy, the federal government will do anything within its power to bring this to justice. I can assure you that the Justice Department under the leadership of Attorney General Ramsey Clark extensively works on the investigation. As of now, we have no indications the individual responsible had a political motive. However, I am not further commenting on ongoing investigations. I have full confidence in the Attorney General and professionals at the Justice Department to handle this situation properly. Regardless, I will today issue a presidential memorandum for an investigation on security issues for all public officials.

My fellow countrymen, America has lost a humble and proud servant through a senseless act of violence. But more important than our sorrow and frustration must be the spirit that Vice President Church lived throughout his life. A spirit and conviction, that public service has a purpose much larger than any individual performing in public office. A spirit and conviction, that government and public service can and must be a force for good. Not for ourselves, but for the people we’re elected to serve. That it is indeed about making your lives better. It is in this spirit, I want to continue to serve you in this office. Nothing less is worth of Frank Church’s legacy. And nothing else is what he would have wanted.

It is in this spirit, that I ask you to join me in praying for the Church family and all the colleagues here in Washington, who lost a dear friend and son of god this morning. May god bless Frank Church’s souls, and may god also bless the United States of America. Thank you.

Dan Rather: Wow, I almost need a pause. Ladies and Gentlemen, that was President Jerry Brown, announcing to the nation that Vice President Church has died of an assassin’s bullet. The doctors did all they could to save his life, but ultimately it was not enough. Could not be enough. This is a day that will live in infamy, to quote President Roosevelt. We already see people gathering in front of the White House and lay down flowers for the deceased vice president. This is truly a sad day for America.

March 11, 1982: State Funeral for Vice President Frank Church

After memorial services at the US Capitol and Idaho State Capitol, former Vice President Frank Church was granted a state funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. The keynote speaker was Senator Howard Baker (R-TN), longtime colleague of Church in the senate and, as running mate of Ronald Reagan, his opponent in the 1980 presidential campaign. Baker honored Church as an “extraordinary public servant, whose service will long be remembered”.

Several hundred guests attended the ceremony, most notable President Jerry Brown, First Lady Linda Ronstadt, Chief Justice John Paul Stevens and the entire cabinet. Also present were former President Gerald Ford, the only living former head of state, and all living former vice presidents: Richard Nixon, Bobby Kennedy and William Scranton. Besides several lawmakers and governors, Ronald Reagan also attended. Internationally, several heads of states or other government officials appeared, among them British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt.

March 12, 1982: Attorney General Clark briefs nation on investigation, no political motive behind assassination

One day after Frank Church was buried, Attorney General Ramsey Clark briefed the public about the ongoing investigation regarding the assassination of Church. According to Clark, the shooter, John Hinckley Jr. told police after arrest that the attack was intended to impress actress Jodie Foster, with whom he had developed an obsession. Secret Service and federal investigator found no credible evidence for political motives or political extremism.

The Justice Department is expected to bring formal charges against Hinckley in a matter of weeks.

March 14, 1982: White House: President Brown will nominate new vice president on April 1

Nearly a week after Vice President Frank Church passed away, White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis formally announced the timetable for a replacement: President Jerry Brown wants to take about two weeks to review possible replacement candidates for the vice presidency and introduce his pick on April 1. The nomination will then head to Capitol Hill for confirmation by both chambers of congress subject to the 25th Amendment of the Constitution.

A shortlist has not been made yet, according to White House insiders. However, reports reveal that the president is not only looking towards members of congress, but also considers a host of cabinet secretaries for the vice presidency. Political observers expect Brown to name a tactical decision for the 1984 presidential election rather than a placeholder who would stand down after the current term expires. Sources within the West Wing say the president heavily relies on the advice of a few close confidants, such as Gray Davis and Labor Secretary Cesar Chavez. These sources also claim Brown’s team reached out to New York Governor and former vice president Robert Kennedy to make suggestions. However, Kennedy himself made it clear that he has no desire to return to his old job and is currently in the final decision phase as to whether he’ll seek a third term as governor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #756 on: April 14, 2022, 09:20:20 AM »

Oh no, RIP Frank Church.

I thought he'd die in office in April 1984, just as he did IRL. But creative to have Hinckley as assassin.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #757 on: April 18, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »

Very creative stuff! Good job!
Cesar Chavez for VP?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »

RIP Vice President Church
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »

Given Brown's victory map from 1980, I could see him picking a midwesterner. Birch Bayh just won his re-election, which could help Indiana, or maybe John Glenn from Ohio, who also won re-election and ran against Brown for the 1980 primary. Hmm, Moonbeam and the first man to orbit Earth, maybe this timeline ends with a Lunar colony Cheesy
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #760 on: April 19, 2022, 01:25:13 PM »

Given Brown's victory map from 1980, I could see him picking a midwesterner. Birch Bayh just won his re-election, which could help Indiana, or maybe John Glenn from Ohio, who also won re-election and ran against Brown for the 1980 primary. Hmm, Moonbeam and the first man to orbit Earth, maybe this timeline ends with a Lunar colony Cheesy

Both a Midwesterner and Southerner would make sense, I think. Anyway, I'll post a shortlist with a few remarks soon. The pick will be interesting.

Usually I don't do spoilers, but it won't Chavez, since he's also from California and just has limited political experience in this TL.
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« Reply #761 on: April 20, 2022, 09:55:50 AM »

I wonder if Brown may go for the historical pick of choosing a woman as his VP. I'm not exactly sure of who the suitable candidates would be in that case, but it does strike me as something that Brown would do.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #762 on: April 20, 2022, 01:52:17 PM »

BONUS: President Jerry Brown's vice presidential shortlist

After the death of Frank Church, the process to name a successor has formally begun. President Jerry Brown is expected to announce the name he will submit to congress for approval under the 25th Amendment of the Constitution on April 1. Numerous White House insiders say that the president most relies on advice of Gray Davis, his chief of staff, Labor Secretary and personal friend Chavez and Senate Majority Whip Albert Brewer (D-AL). Meanwhile, First Lady Linda Ronstadt publicly denied to provide input to Brown’s team. “Jerry has people around that know a lot more about finding a good vice president than me”, she said.

On March 14, President Brown hosted New York Governor and former vice president Robert F. Kennedy for lunch to make recommendations. After the meeting, the governor spoke of a “friendly and constructive atmosphere”, and that his suggestions were well received. He did not comment on specific names. President Brown also spoke to his predecessor, Gerald Ford, at a public Los Angeles event that had the two only living presidents participate. Ford became the first president to nominate a vice president under the 1967 amendment in 1979, when he chose UN Ambassador and former Pennsylvania governor William Scranton for the job. Scranton, who has been tasked with overseeing the Brown Administration’s space program after a landmark reform bill, was given a visit to the White House to weigh in as well.

Sources close to Gray Davis say Brown intends to run with his new vice president on the 1984 ticket. An aide to Secretary Chavez told ABC News the president dismissed the idea of naming a placeholder who would stand down in 1984. “He wants someone he can work with and who’s a strategic choice for ’84. Several people meet this criteria”.

According to these sources, the follow individuals are under consideration and are reviewed:

Reubin Askew
Secretary of the Treasury, former Governor of Florida and 1980 presidential candidate

Why he is considered: Askew rose to national prominence with his third place finish in the 1980 Democratic primaries for president. The former Florida governor was already on Brown’s shortlist before the 1980 Democratic National Convention, but ultimately he was chosen to be Secretary of the Treasury. As such, he hardly made waves and loyally carried out the president’s policies. Askew may be helpful to Brown in the South in 1984 and in his two terms as governor, he already proved leadership skills.

Mario Cuomo
U.S. Senator for New York, former lieutenant governor of New York

Why he is considered: Cuomo is the surprise candidate on the list, and if insiders are believed, his name was raised by Robert Kennedy, his former boss under whom he served as second-in-command, after successfully running for senate in 1976. In congress, Cuomo has emerged as one of the most outspoken liberal Democrats, but who also worked with Presidents Rockefeller and Ford on a host of issues. However, according to sources on the Hill, Cuomo no longer finds his work in the senate satisfactory and currently awaits Kennedy’s decision whether to run for a third term. If not, Cuomo expressed interest to seek the governorship himself. Naming him vice president would change these dynamics. Helpful would be his personal relationship with President Brown and experience in state and federal politics, though Gray Davis apparently expressed skepticism Cuomo would bring in new voters in 1984. He might also face more than usual opposition in congress.

Walter Mondale
U.S. Senator for Minnesota, 1980 presidential candidate, former Attorney General of Minnesota

Why he is considered: While his presidential ambitions didn’t end well with a poor showing in the primaries, Walter Mondale is a major voice in the senate after having served for well over a decade. An outspoken liberal Democrat who sees himself in Hubert Humphrey’s tradition, Mondale would bolster Brown’s standing within labor and help winning votes from the Midwest and farmers. Skeptics have pointed out his lack of charisma, though, and while supporting the administration on almost all issues, he doesn’t belong to President Brown’s closest relations in congress (although he frequently talked to Frank Church before).

Lawton Chiles
U.S. Senator for Florida, former Florida State Senator

Why he is considered: Lawton Chiles is another name from the 1980 shortlist. The Florida Senator has recently gained stature and prominence for taking a leading role in various negotiations between the White House, congressional Republicans and the Democratic caucus. Considered a moderate to liberal Democrat, Chiles is respected within all factions of his party and across the aisle. However, he has always denied any desire to be vice president after he briefly considered a presidential bid in 1979 and already announced his reelection campaign for third senate term. Nonetheless, Chiles is generally seen as a safe pick, who would easily win confirmation and who might bring in Southern votes in 1984. As he could lean on 12 years of Washington experience, there would be no need for on-the-job-training.

Jimmy Carter
Secretary of Agriculture, former Governor of Georgia and 1972 Democratic vice presidential nominee

Why he is considered: Ten years before, while serving as governor of Georgia, Jimmy Carter already ran for the position he’s currently under consideration for. In 1972, then-Vice President and Democratic presidential nominee Bobby Kennedy chose him as his running mate before narrowly losing to the Rockefeller/Ford ticket. After being termed out as governor, Carter sought the Democratic presidential nomination in 1976, but lost to now-Defense Secretary Edmund Muskie, who went down in an epic 50-state defeat against incumbent president Nelson Rockefeller. However, Carter remained active in Democratic politics, helping downballot candidates and became a voice for the “new South”. A peanut farmer, President Brown returned him to public office and made him Agriculture Secretary. As such, Carter oversaw a number of policies to help farmers making investments and explore new markets. His name has been raised by his former running mate Bobby Kennedy and President Brown, who is said to have a high opinion of Carter, agreed to consider him. Carter would help in the South in 1984 and if nominated and confirmed, finally win the job voters denied him a decade before.

Jim Hunt
Governor of North Carolina, former lieutenant governor

Why he is considered: Jim Hunt's name as reportedly added to the list at the suggestion of fellow governor Bob Graham of Florida (who himself declined). As governor of a Southern state, he would widen Brown's 1984 appeal in the South and bring some geographical balance to the ticket. While he doesn't have Washington experience and alteady going through a congressional confirmation process would be new territory for him, his years as North Carolina's chief executive make Hunt so stranger to practical governing. Since taking office, President Brown has repeatedly stayed in touch with the governor, whom he already knew from the National Governor's Association. A spokesman for the governor said that while being vice president wasn't his initial ambition, he'd accept an offer for nomination to congress.

Helen Stevenson Meyner
Representative from New Jersey

Why she is considered: Besides Mario Cuomo, and perhaps more so, Helen Stevenson Meyner is the biggest surprise on Brown’s shortlist. Winning a Republican-leaning House seat in 1974, she narrowly lost reelection in 1976 Rockefeller landslide, giving Republicans control for two years, she came back for a second non-consecutive term in 1978 and narrowly prevailed in 1980. An outspoken liberal with close ties to the White House, Meyner would be a historic pick for the second highest office in the land, especially after Brown already nominated the first woman to the Supreme Court. However, what speaks against her is relative brief political experience and unknown impact on the 1984 ticket.

The following individuals were suggested by newspapers, but declined interest or are not considered:

- Robert F. Kennedy, Governor of New York and former vice president
- Lloyd Bentsen, Senator from Texas and runner-up in the 1980 Democratic primaries
- Elizabeth Holzman, Senator from New York, former Representative
- Mo Udall, Representative from Arizona
- Sargent Shriver, Secretary of State
- Ramsey Clark, Attorney General
- Cesar Chavez, Secretary of Labor
- Wendell Ford, Senator from Kentucky and former Governor
- Albert Brewer, Senator from Alabama and Majority Whip, former Governor
- Robert Graham, Governor of Florida
- Chuck Robb, Governor of Virginia
- Alan Cranston, Senator from California, former Majority Whip
- Gary Hart, Senator from Colorado
- John Glenn, Senator from Ohio and 1980 presidential candidate
- Tip O’Neill, Speaker of the House
- Robert Byrd, Senator from West Virginia and Majority Leader
- Nicholas Katzenbach, former Secretary of State
- Ivan Allen Jr., Secretary of HUD
- Edmund Muskie, Secretary of Defense, former Senator from Maine and 1976 presidential nominee
- Pat Schroeder, Secretary of the Interior and former Representative

March 31, 1982: New Gallup poll

In the aftermath of Vice President Frank Church's death, Jerry Brown saw a sharp rise in his approval ratings. As of March 1982, this is the highest recorded during his presidency so far, even higher than the 63% right after being sworn in as 39th President of the United States.

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 66% ▲
Disapprove: 28% ▼
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #763 on: April 20, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »

Go Mondale! Go Mondale GO!
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #764 on: April 20, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »

I think he should pick Reubin the Good but any of these would be interesting.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #765 on: April 24, 2022, 12:51:45 PM »

April 1, 1982

BREAKING: Jimmy Carter nominated for Vice President

President Jerry Brown to nominate Agriculture Secretary Jimmy Carter for vice presidency under 25th Amendment

Dan Rather: Ladies and Gentlemen, in less just a few moments, President Jerry Brown is about to announce his decision who he will nominate to be the next vice president of the United States. And according to our reporters, we can now report that we have a name confirmed. And according to our sources, President Brown will submit the nomination of Jimmy Carter to congress for confirmation under the 25th amendment. So, James Earl Carter of Georgia, 57 years of age, currently Secretary of Agriculture in Brown’s cabinet, will be nominated for the second highest office in the nation after the tragic death of Vice President Frank Church. Mr. Carter, who has been governor of his homestate Georgia from 1971 to 1975, already ran for the position he’s now nominated for: In 1972, then-Vice President Robert F. Kennedy picked him as his running mate in the upcoming presidential election. A rising figure in Democratic politics at the time, Carter was considered an ideal mirror of Kennedy, bringing in Southern support. The ticket ended up narrowly losing to the Republican duo of Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford, as we all know. However, Carter remained a player within his party, even ran for president in 1976, but couldn’t make it to the nomination despite Governor Kennedy’s endorsement. And I’m hearing, that President Brown is about to appear before the cameras. Let’s listen in.

Chief of Staff Davis: Good morning everybody, welcome to the East Room at the White House. It’s my privilege to introduce to you the president of the United States, Edmund G. Brown Jr.

[applause]

President Brown: Thank you, Gray. Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow countrymen: I am delighted to appear before you today to announce my selection for the vice presidency of the United States under the provisions of the 25th Amendment of the Constitution. I wish I never had to make such a selection again after choosing Frank Church at the Democratic National Convention almost two years ago. But as tragedy hit, my presidential duties require me to do so.

Well, we all kept y’all waiting for a few weeks, I have now made decision after a thorough process and more than one highly qualified candidate reviewed. And accordingly, I have chosen to nominate my friend Jimmy Carter of the great state of Georgia to be the next vice president of the United States. Secretary Jimmy Carter is not only a person of extraordinary human decency, he’s also man of faith and a son of the South, who has served his homestate as state legislator and governor with a track record of accomplishments to improve the lives of everyday citizens. As governor, he transformed the state’s executive branch into a much better functioning unit, he stood up for civil rights and fought for workers of all backgrounds. Having later served in my cabinet as Secretary of Agriculture, Jimmy Carter has further gained experience in national politics after already running for vice president with my friend Bobby Kennedy. In his current role, Secretary Carter has made a significant impact of agriculture policy in this country and his well respected across the country. Therefore, I have concluded that Secretary Jimmy Carter is a uniquely strong choice to be my partner in governing as the new vice president of the United States. A vice president, he will always fight the good fight and make me a better president and my administration a better place. Therefore, I hope that the congress will – after careful review – confirm Secretary Carter to assume the role as vice president of the United States. I have no doubt, the elected representatives of the American people will do so, after Jimmy Carter was already confirmed to his current position with 97 votes in the senate.

As I will submit the formal nomination papers to the congress later today, Speaker O’Neill and Leader Byrd have assured me of a swift confirmation procedure. Meanwhile, Secretary Carter will be available for any questions senators and representatives will eventually have. However, he will limit his public appearances in the meantime to focus on the process. Furthermore, he will also continue to perform his duties as Secretary of Agriculture until the vice presidential nomination succeeded. Nonetheless, I will now begin the process of selecting a replacement candidate at the Department, and Jimmy Carter will advise me in that question. As soon as a candidate is chosen, I will inform the public right away.

So, Mr. Secretary, Mr. Vice President to be I should now say, right? Anyway, Jimmy, my friend, the podium is yours. Thanks to all of you.

Secretary Carter: Mr. President, Madam First Lady, Chief of Staff Davis, Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Americans: I am deeply humbled. I am deeply humbled by your trust and confidence in me. Rosalyn and I are deeply thankful for this great opportunity. As tragic as the circumstances are, as we still mourn the loss of Vice President Church, whose friendship I have valued a lot since this administration came into office, and even before, this means the world to me.

Being asked again to serve as vice president is a tremendous honor. I fully intend to live up to all the expectations put in me and do the very best I can. And while I can replace Frank Church in that very office, I will never replace him as a public servant. This is just impossible. Nonetheless, I am sure that he would have backed any nominee the president put forward. Earlier today, I spoke to the Church family, which assured me their full support.

In the meantime, I do not intend to make much public statements outside the congressional hearings, which are all available to the public. In that regard, I intent to follow the example of Vice President William Scranton, the only other individual so far nominated under the 25th Amendment. I’ve already spoken to Vice President Scranton today, and he expressed his congratulations and offered his advice for the process, which I welcome very much.

Lastly, let me all thank you again for your tremendous support.

Reporter: Sir, Mr. Carter, how do you see your role as vice president?

Secretary Carter: First of all, the congress needs to find me worthy of confirmation, and we do not take this for granted. This a serious process designed by the constitution, and we need to respect this process accordingly. What I can say is that in most recent years, at least since the second Johnson Administration from 1969, the role of the vice president has been pretty much defined as advising the president on a host of issues, helping him to pass the agenda through congress and speak in his name abroad. I’m not planning to change anything of that, and that’s also what President Brown asked me to do. Thanks to all of you again.

Reporter II: Mr. President, are you going to keep Mr. Carter on the ticket in 1984? Is that a strategical choice to expand the map in the South?

Chief of Staff Davis: Thank you all very much, the president has to leave for the next meeting and will not answer any questions today. Thank you.

Dan Rather: That was live from the White House, Agriculture Secretary Jimmy Carter, whom we can call vice president-designate now. I have just spoken to our reporters on Capitol Hill and they told us Speaker O’Neill intends to start formal hearings as soon as next week. If we take the Scranton nomination from two years ago as guidance, we expected Jimmy Carter confirmed and inaugurated by some time in mid or late May. I’ve also talked to our sources at the White House, and we hear that New York Governor Bobby Kennedy strongly advocated for Mr. Carter to receive the nomination. Ever since running together in 1972, the two men stayed in touch all the years. We also hear that Labor Secretary Cesar Chavez recommended Carter or Treasury Secretary Askew for the position. And while Chief of Staff Gray Davis, a close confidant of the president, initially preferred Reubin Askew, he concluded Askew would be more useful in his current role as Treasury Secretary, which he has come to like very much. That much for this subject. We keep you up to date any time on the process. Thank you for turning in.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #766 on: April 25, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »

VP Carter? That'll be interesting.

I have a feeling this might resemble the Reagan-Bush years in reverse. Brown/Carter get reelected in a landslide in '84, Carter gets elected prez in 1988 in this timeline, but loses to a moderate GOPer in 1992. So he'll still be a 1-term prez. Just 12 years later.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #767 on: April 25, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »

Good choice of Carter, I think he could be a key player given his calm demeanor. I’m looking forward to seeing the liberal agenda. OTL 1980s were dominated by deregulation, tax reduction, the War on Drugs, “Star Wars” and the arms race against USSR, Afghanistan, and Iran/Iraq war. With the Johnson administration going to 1972, and a fairy moderate/liberal Rockefeller dominating the 70s, I think we could see a very different 1980s.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #768 on: April 29, 2022, 01:24:57 PM »

April 4, 1982: Robert F. Kennedy announces not to seek third term as New York governor

In the morning hours of April 4, New York Governor Robert F. Kennedy went before the cameras to announce his long awaited decision for his political future. With his wife Ethel by his side, Kennedy announced that he would not seek a third term as governor of New York. “After careful evaluation, I have made the decision not to run for a third term as governor of the state of New York. While I have found incredible meaning in the work as chief executive of the Empire State, working every single day to make people’s lives better, I think that it will be in our state’s best interest for new leadership to emerge and continue the work we have begun. Furthermore, I believe it is in the best interest of myself and – more importantly – my family to spend more time together. This decision was not easy, but I’m glad to share it with you today and have no regrets”, the governor said. He added: “It was an incredible honor to serve the people of New York and America in various roles over the last twenty years. I shall continue to fulfill my duties until my term expires at the end of this year.”

Bobby Kennedy, who was turning 57 that year, was elected governor in 1974, two years after his narrow presidential loss to one of his predecessors, Nelson Rockefeller. He was inaugurated on January 1, 1975, and reelected to a second term in 1978, after a closer than expected race. As governor, Kennedy oversaw several reforms in education, new housing programs, civil rights initiatives and a reform of the Rockefeller drug laws. Just earlier in 1982, he signed into law a landmark piece of legislation for a public-private healthcare program in his state. President Jerry Brown highly praised that program and called upon congress to pass a national law.

Kennedy, who never ran for president after 1972 again, remained vague about his future plans. While expressing a desire to spend more time with his family, he said that he will continue to “stay active in political discourse”. He didn’t explicitly rule out holding another office, but also said that this was “nothing on his mind” right now. “I really don’t know, you don’t always have to be in a formal role to make a difference”, he told a reporter.

April 8, 1982: Senator Mario Cuomo announces gubernatorial run, senate primary wide open

Bobby Kennedy’s decision to stand down at the end of his current term leaves the Governor’s Mansion up for grabs in the 1982 election. Days after Kennedy’s statement, US Senator Mario Cuomo officially announced his campaign for governor. His entrance into the race was already expected in case Kennedy would quit. Cuomo was lieutenant governor during Kennedy’s first two years in office, before Democratic leaders convinced to run for senate in 1976 election. Cuomo went on to win and emerged as one of the most vocal liberal Democrats in the senate. However, in recent months, insiders reported he no longer found the work satisfactory and instead wanted to return to New York politics. It is unclear whether Cuomo can run unopposed in the primary, as New York City Mayor Ed Koch expressed interest to replace RFK as well. Kennedy’s endorsement may be key for any Democrat to win the primary and the seat.

Cuomo’s gubernatorial bid also leaves his senate seat open, which is also up for election that year. On the Democratic side, no clear frontrunner has emerged. On the Republican side, Al D’Amato tries again to become a senator, after losing in 1980 to current Senator Elizabeth Holzman.

April 19, 1982: President Brown signs legislation to create new National Park in honor of Frank Church

Introduced by a group of over 50 Democratic representatives a week after his state funeral, a federal law to dedicate a new National Park in Idaho to be named after late Vice President Frank Church was signed into law by President Jerry Brown. The bill was approved with 414 votes in favor, before the senate also voted unanimously for the bill.

An opening ceremony is scheduled for July 4, Independence Day, in which both President Jerry Brown and Vice President-designate Jimmy Carter are expected to appear. Also, several lawmakers, former President Gerald Ford and all other living vice presidents will attend.

April 30, 1982: New Gallup poll

Approve: 60% ▼
Disapprove: 34% ▲

Nomination of Jimmy Carter as vice president
Support: 49%
Oppose: 26%
No opinion: 25%

May 18, 1982: House approves nomination of Jimmy Carter for vice president with large majority

Jimmy Carter has taken the first hurdle to be the next vice president of the United States: The US House of Representatives voted in support of his nomination with 387 votes for and 41 against. All opposing votes came from Republican ranks, though the entire Republican leadership voted in favor. Since his nomination by President Brown on April 1, Carter went through extensive congressional hearings that largely went uneventful. Carter thanked lawmakers for the trust and confidence in a statement after the votes was taken.

According to Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd, the upper chamber of congress will hold a vote on June 1. Carter is expected to easily win confirmation there as well. A public swearing-in ceremony could be held later that day, according to a source familiar at the White House. It’s also reported that Carter intends to step down as Agriculture Secretary effective May 31.

May 22, 1982: Ronald Reagan endorses George Deukmejian ahead of California gubernatorial primary, ditches incumbent Mike Curb

As one of the most watched primaries of the cycle is just around the corner, another political heavyweight has weighed in: California Attorney General George Deukmejian receives the endorsement of former governor and 1980 Republican presidential nominee Ronald Reagan in his bid to oust incumbent governor Mike Curb. Reagan long remained vague over his preference in this race and was not certain to even make an endorsement, though he finally came along and joined a number of other high-profile Republican preferring Deukmejian over Curb. With this move, Reagan joins former President Gerald Ford, who publically backed the former right after announcing his candidacy. Like Ford, Reagan avoided direct criticism of the incumbent, who’s seeking a full term in his own right after replacing Jerry Brown.

Curb’s one and half year tenure so far has largely been marked by intense battles with the Democratic-controlled state legislature and internal dysfunction among his staff and cabinet even a lot of Republicans have complained about. In the State Legislature, even GOP lawmakers increasingly question the governor’s negotiating tactics and have voiced skepticism over his anti-crime policies. After a brief honeymoon, Curb’s approval ratings have plummeted in spring 1981 and not recovered since.

A Los Angeles Times poll released on May 21 showed Deukmejian ahead with 51% to 37% over Curb for the June primary. The polls also found him tied with Democratic frontrunner Tom Bradley at 46% support each. Meanwhile, Bradley was ahead of Curb 48-43%. Curb’s approval rating was at 39%, a slight uptick from earlier that year. The poll also found a 59% favorability rating for Reagan in California. President Brown’s approval rating in the state was at 62%, slightly above the national average (in February, it was just at 49%). 

President Brown campaigns for Democratic candidate Tom Bradley

Meanwhile, on the Democratic side, there is more clarity as the party begins to rally around Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, who faces just token opposition from State Senator John Garamendi. Earlier in May, President Jerry Brown formally endorsed Bradley for governor in his quest to regain the seat he himself had to leave in December 1980 to prepare for his swearing-in as president. Brown and Curb already had a difficult relationship while in California, and ever since, the Republican governor and the Brown Administration have clashed on various issues. White House sources even report Brown repeatedly described Curb “a clueless jerk”. On May 22, President Brown together with Bradley appeared a campaign rally in Oakland that over 25,000 people attended. In his 30-minute speech, the president praised the candidate as a champion for worker’s rights, civil rights and the environment. “The Republicans can send up Curb or Deukmejian, doesn’t matter”, President Brown told the crowd, “we have Mayor Bradley, and they can’t mess with this guy!”

If elected, Bradley would be the first African American state governor in his own right.

May 31, 1982: New Gallup poll

Approve: 60% ▬
Disapprove: 35% ▲

1982 Generic congressional ballot
Democratic: 47%
Republican: 44%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #769 on: May 04, 2022, 01:52:38 PM »

June 2, 1982

BREAKING: Jimmy Carter is Vice President of the United States

With a 93-5 vote, former Agriculture Secretary Jimmy Carter was confirmed to be the next vice president of the United States. Just hours later, the Georgia politician was inaugurated to his new office at a White House ceremony. At his own wish, newly appointed Supreme Court justice Shirley Hufstedler administered the oath of office at the East Room, with President Jerry Brown and several high-ranking officials present. Members of the Church family were also present, who described Carter as a worthy successor to the late vice president.

During his brief inaugural speech, Carter thanked President Brown for his confidence and outlined how he sees his role in the administration. “As vice president, my role models shall be my dear friend, Bobby Kennedy, and our beloved Frank Church”, he said, “that means, that I will work closely with the president to make sure our administration – and ultimately our country – will be successful. I will always be loyal to the constitution and the people in the first place, and always be your loyal partner, Mr. President. That doesn’t mean we will agree on everything. But when we don’t, I will give you my honest opinion behind closed doors, just as you asked me to do so. There won’t be any leaks or any sort of backstabbing. That is my promise to the American people and the president I was chosen to serve.”

After taking office, Carter became the first vice president to appoint a person of color to be his Chief of Staff: He named fellow Georgian Andrew Young to the post.

June 5, 1982: Vice President Carter takes off for first international visit, makes surprise Berlin visit to meet Soviet delegation

Three days after taking office, Vice President Jimmy Carter is already off for his first international trip that led him to Europe for various diplomatic consultations. In London, he spoke with Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher about bilateral issues and a potential US-UK free trade agreement to deepen economic ties. Surprisingly, he also flew to Berlin, where he met a Soviet delegation of diplomats. After the meeting, Carter said the talks were productive and that another meeting between President Brown and Secretary General Brezhnev was an issue. “I also stated that it is the policy of the Brown Administration to bring a diplomatic solution to the conflict in Afghanistan”, he said. A date for another meeting between the top two leaders was not named, and some rumors that Brezhnev was in poor health were not commented by the Soviet delegation or members of Vice President Carter’s staff.

American journalists concluded that Carter’s early departure for the international stage was an indication that he had President Brown’s strong backing. During a press interaction, White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis confirmed that Carter would indeed remain on the ticket in 1984.

June 8, 1982: California: George Deukmejian defeats Gov. Mike Curb in Republican gubernatorial primary

The primary showdown in California for the Republican nomination has come to an end: Attorney General George Deukmejian defeated incumbent Governor Mike Curb by a double digit margin of 56.5% to 43.4% of the vote. Deukmejian launched his bid in February with the goal of unseating Curb, whom he criticized as ineffective. Curb’s one and half year tenure was overshadowed by intense battles with the Democratic-controlled state legislature and internal dysfunction among his staff and cabinet. Lately, even many Republican criticized his leadership style and feared that he could lose the governorship after inheriting it from Jerry Brown. Republicans of rank and file already distanced themselves from Curb. His opponent early received an endorsement from former President Gerald Ford. Just weeks before, 1980 presidential nominee and former governor Ronald Reagan also backed the challenger, which many saw as the final nail in Curb’s political coffin.

Curb immediately conceded the race during a public appearance and said he would continue to serve out his term to January 1983. He did not formally endorse Deukmejian, but warned a Democratic governorship would bankrupt the state’s treasury.

On the Democratic side, Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley easily won the nomination of his party. He was already endorsed by President Jerry Brown. The general election campaign is considered a tossup.

June 17, 1982: Senate confirms Robert Bergland as Agriculture Secretary

Following Jimmy Carter’s departure from the Agriculture Department, President Jerry Brown nominated former Democratic Congressman Robert Bergland of Minnesota as his successor on May 25. On June 17, the senate approved the nomination with 87 votes in favor and 9 against. Later that day, he was sworn in into office by Vice President Carter himself. Bergland vowed to continue Carter’s policies that sought to open new markets for American farmers abroad.

The Brown Administration

- President: Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D-CA)
- Vice President: James E. Carter (D-GA)

- Secretary of State: Sargent Shriver (D-MD)
- Attorney General: Ramsey Clark (D-NY)
- Secretary of Defense: Edmund Muskie (D-ME)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Reubin Askew (D-FL)
- Secretary of Commerce: Juanita M. Kreps (D-NC)
- Secretary of the Interior: Pat Schroeder (D-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)*
- Secretary of HHS: Yvonne Brathwaite Burke (D-CA)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Robert Burgland (D-MN)
- Secretary of Energy: John B. Anderson (R-IL)*
- Secretary of Labor: Cesar Chavez (D-CA)
- Secretary of Transportation: William Ruckelshaus (R-IN)
- U.N. Ambassador: Lindy Boggs (D-LA)

- White House Chief of Staff: Gray Davis (D-CA)
- National Security Advisor: Cyrus Vance (D-WV)

* Holdover from the Ford Administration

June 28, 1982: President Brown signs federal budget into law, deficit decreases

After more than two months of negotiations, President Jerry Brown has signed a regular federal budget into law, covering the fiscal year from July 1, 1982 to June 30, 1983. Over 100 amendments were added to a House bill passed in May was approved 71-26. The House of Representatives also gave green light with 299 votes in favor and 123 against. The new federal budget sees a decrease of the federal budget deficit to 233 billion dollars after the economy in Quarter Two of the year showed first signs of a recovery. For the first time since 1977, the deficit shrunk below 250 billion. Unemployment in May has dropped to 7.3% and economic growth is estimated to be close to 2%.

The 1982-83 budget contains a moderate 2.5% increase of the defense budget and spending hikes for healthcare and the space program. Nonetheless, the Brown Administration dropped a demand for a moderate tax increase for upper incomes and an additional 50 billion dollar package for federal aid to education. The State Department’s budget for economic aid was also reduced by five billion dollars. President Brown called these reductions “painful”, but “pivotal for bipartisan support and on-time budget”. The negotiating process also forced Brown to delay efforts to maneuver a minimum wage bill through the senate, which was already passed by the House a few months before. However, Labor Secretary Chavez confirmed the administration was still eager to pass a minimum wage increase during the fall session and before the midterm elections.

June 30, 1982: New Gallup poll

Approve: 58% ▼
Disapprove: 36% ▲
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #770 on: May 12, 2022, 01:44:04 PM »

July 4, 1982

BREAKING: President Brown and First Lady Ronstadt announce marriage plans

One of the least kept secrets in Washington was that President Jerry Brown and First Lady Linda Ronstadt would marry at some point. Brown, 44, entered office as the first bachelor president since James Buchanan, although his partner, singer Linda Ronstadt, took the role as First Lady and has earned a fair reputation in that role. After Brown took office, she officially paused her music career and focused on her role as the president’s de facto spouse. As such, she focused on issues like healthy school food and civil rights, though barely commented on ongoing political issues. “I don’t want Jerry in trouble for anything I might say”, she told a reporter just weeks prior. “Although I agree with most things he does.”

The marriage plans were officially announced on Independence Day, just before the president delivered a speech at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. According to numerous source, an announcement was already scheduled for April or May, but was delayed in aftermath of Vice President Frank Church’s tragic death. “Today, I can tell to the nation and the world, that Linda has agreed to my proposal”, Brown said at the White House. “Our plans are to marry by some time in October”, he added. “As for the place, we keep you in suspense for a while”, Ronstadt added. She also didn’t answer whether she’d rename to Brown. Close associates to the president say they planned a simple ceremony in California, with some friends from DC invited. According to that sources, a limited number of journalists will be allowed to participate.

Jerry Brown would also be the first American president to marry in office since Grover Cleveland in 1886.

July 15, 1982: President Brown signs minimum wage increase into law

Legislative success for the Brown Administration: The senate finally approved the minimum wage bill 66-31. The measure was already passed by the House on February 23 by a narrow 217-215 margin. After months of negotiation the upper chamber agreed to raise the minimum wage from 3.10$ to 3.50$, beginning January 1, 1983. Several Republicans got behind the bill to form a filibuster-proof majority. Republican Minority Leader Mark Sanford finally expressed support after a lengthy conversation with President Brown, Majority Leader Byrd and Labor Secretary Chavez. In exchange for Hatfield’s support – who was joined by 20 fellow Republicans – Brown agreed to drop a tax increase proposal and signed a directive to federal departments to cut five percent of their expenditures to further relief the budget. Hatfield called the agreement a “reasonable step to promote economic growth”. However, he faced criticism from the party’s conservative wing. Among others, Republican Whip John Tower opposed the bill while avoiding direct criticism of Leader Hatfield.

The bill reached President Brown’s desk on July 15. He signed the legislation into law during a simple Oval Office event the same day.

July 21, 1982: Secretary of State Shriver announces negotiations over ceasefire in Iran-Iraq war

Secretary of State Sargent Shriver spent over two months of intense travel diplomacy to bring an end to the war between Iran and Iraq. After meeting with his Soviet counterpart (Moscow is allied with Iran) in Helsinki on July 20 and 21, the two officials announced an agreement for ceasefire negotiations between the two conflict parties to begin on August 2 in the Finnish capital. The negotiations are taking place under joint US-Soviet chairmanship. Deputy Secretary of State Warren Christopher was appointed to lead the American delegation. Shriver said the initiative was an important step to restore peace in the Middle East.

Late July 1982: Negotiations over constitutional amendment stalled in the senate

More than half a year after the House of Representatives has passed a constitutional amendment to reform the Electoral College, the proposal is stalled in the senate. The new amendment would award the winner of the national popular vote an additional 50 electoral votes to make it way less likely a candidate not winning the most votes wins the presidency. Initially, a group of Republican lawmakers proposed switching to direct popular vote elections after Republican Ronald Reagan missed winning the 1980 election despite receiving plurality of votes over Jerry Brown, who defeated his opponent with a razor-thin margin in the Electoral College. The initiative for a direct popular vote was quickly rejected in the House, but an alternate bipartisan proposal of 50 additional electoral votes gained wide support, including from Reagan and Brown.

Current difficulties in the senate are less of partisan issue, but a group of senators mostly from the South voiced concern over its constitutionality. Lately, Majority Whip Albert Brewer and Florida Democrat Lawton Chiles, two of just few Southerners backing the amendment, attempted to convince opponents of the reform, but these efforts did not bear fruit. Vice President Jimmy Carter also hosted a meeting with Georgia’s congressional delegation but was unable to commit additional yes-votes. Sources on Capitol Hill are convinced the proposal would win more than 50 votes in the senate, but fall short of the necessary 2/3 majority. An aide to Majority Leader Robert Byrd, who got on board after some hesitation, said he and Republican leaders Hatfield and Tower agreed to continue negotiations after the summer recess. However, experts have grown less optimistic the amendment would win support of 67 senators before the midterm elections.

July 31, 1982: New Gallup polls, including for 1984

With signs of ongoing economic recovery, President Jerry Brown has mainted most of his polls bump after Frank Church's tragic passing. After initially losing support throughout in 1981 and into 1982, his numbers increasingly look better

Approve: 61% ▲
Disapprove: 35% ▼

1982 congressional generic ballot
Democratic: 48%
Republican: 44%

1984 Republican presidential primary
Howard Baker: 22%
Paul Laxalt: 19%
Bob Dole: 9%
Jack Kemp: 6%
Mark Hatfield: 4%
Phil Crane: 2%
Jim Thompson: 2%
Someone else: 13%
Undecided: 23%

1984 General election matchups

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 50%
Howard Baker (R): 44%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 52%
Paul Laxalt (R): 42%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 51%
Bob Dole (R): 43%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 50%
Jack Kemp (R): 44%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 49%
Mark Hatfield (R): 43%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 51%
Jim Thompson (R): 41%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 53%
Phil Crane (R): 41%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #771 on: May 12, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »

Moscow I believe was actually also  Allied with Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_War

hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #772 on: May 13, 2022, 12:06:23 PM »

Brown needs to propose some big legislation if he wants to do well in the Midterms! As governor OTL, Brown proposed using satellites for communication purposes (maybe earlier GPS adoption?) OTL, Reagan opened up GPS to the public after Korean Air Lines Flight 007 was shot down in 1983. Maybe with better Soviet relations, that disaster can be avoided, and the 90s tech boom can start earlier.

Also, Brown was staunchly pro-environment. Maybe earlier switch to electric cars? I'm sure gas prices are getting high with the Iran-Iraq war.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #773 on: May 13, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »

Moscow I believe was actually also  Allied with Iraq in the Iran-Iraq war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Iraq_War

The Soviet Union wanted to contain Iran. Also, don't forget the deal Saddam signed in 1973
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #774 on: May 13, 2022, 01:16:34 PM »

Brown needs to propose some big legislation if he wants to do well in the Midterms! As governor OTL, Brown proposed using satellites for communication purposes (maybe earlier GPS adoption?) OTL, Reagan opened up GPS to the public after Korean Air Lines Flight 007 was shot down in 1983. Maybe with better Soviet relations, that disaster can be avoided, and the 90s tech boom can start earlier.

Also, Brown was staunchly pro-environment. Maybe earlier switch to electric cars? I'm sure gas prices are getting high with the Iran-Iraq war.

Good points. He already proposed the implementation of a public-private healthcare law in his State of the Union Address, after the role model of New York's bill (which is some form of Romneycare).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies