The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:24:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107915 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 03, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
« edited: February 21, 2022, 02:01:59 PM by President Johnson »

January 20, 1981

CHAPTER 5: PRESIDENT MOONBEAM – Mr. Brown goes to Washington

As the sun rose on January 20, 1981, a new chapter in American history was about to begin. In what is widely considered the closest election of the modern era, America elected a 42 year old Governor of California as 39th President to lead the nation into a new decade. At 10 a.m. local time, President Gerald Ford and First Lady Betty Ford welcomed President-elect Edmund G. Brown Jr. and his partner, singer Linda Ronstadt, to the White House for a traditional cup of coffee. The presidential pairs exchanged small gifts and retreated to the mansion for about 50 minutes. Shortly before 11 a.m., the two presidents departed in the presidential limousine, which was followed by a vehicle of Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Ronstadt. Ten minutes later, they arrived at the Capitol, where at least 250,000 people attended for the inaugural ceremony. Many of them, as shown in pictures, under 40 years old, witnessing the swearing in of the youngest directly elected president at inauguration. Senator and Democratic Senate Whip, Albert Brewer (D-AL) formally presided over the event as head of the bipartisan Congressional Inaugural Committee. Other important attendees were congressional leadership, outgoing and incoming administration personnel, New York Governor and former vice president Robert Kennedy and former Republican nominee Ronald Reagan.

After traditional prayers and the performance by an army orchestra, at 11.53 a.m. EST, Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall swore in Frank Church as the new vice president (as wished by Church).

“I, Frank Forrester Church, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”

[Applause]

“And now, Ladies and Gentlemen”, Inaugural Chair Albert Brewer said after Vice President Church took his seat again, “please arise for the oath of office for the President of the United States of America. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Honorable John Paul Stevens, Chief Justice of the United States.”

Jerry Brown stood up, put his left hand on a bible held by Linda Ronstadt, and repeated the oath Chief Justice John Paul Stevens spoke.

I, Edmund G. Brown Jr., do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God.

[Applause, salute shots, Marine Band plays Hail to the Chief]

It was 12 p.m., and Edmund Gerald Brown Jr. was the President of the United States.

President Brown: Mr. Chief Justice, Mr. Vice President, President Ford, Vice President Scranton, Chairman Brewer, my fellow Americans and members of the world community: I cannot express the profound honor I am feeling to stand here today. A day, I could not have imagined just a few short years. So let me all thank you for the many congratulations and good wishes I received over the past days and weeks. Let me also use this opportunity to thank President Ford for his decades of service to our nation. On behalf of the American people: Thank you very much, Mr. President.

[Applause]

Twenty years ago today, John Fitzgerald Kennedy stood here and took the oath of office as president. His swearing in marked the torch passing from one generation of American leaders to another. President Kennedy, in his speech, challenged Americans from all walks of life to roll up their sleeves and build our own future. “Ask not, what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”, he said. And Americans did. We overcame the dark shadows of segregation and Jim Crow, we send a man to the moon and we made the world a safer place. And although his tenure merely last for a thousand days, President Lyndon Baines Johnson continued the New Frontier and introduced the Great Society. My fellow Americans, let me here and today renew that spirit that President Kennedy embraced. We are at the beginning of a new decade. It is in our own hands, whether this is going to be a decade for lasting peace, progress and one that makes our nation more whole. I am fully committed to do my part. But I just cannot do it alone.

First, we need to make overcome the economic struggles that have haunted us for more than a year. Within 100 days, my administration shall propose a comprehensive recovery program to the congress. Lawmakers of both parties will be invited to contribute with their ideas. Because I believe this will make any program better.

[…]

My fellow countrymen, I fully aware that my vision is a challenge to all of us. It requires determination, hard work and decisive action. From the federal government, from the states and the local level. From businesses, from each and every one of you. There will be setbacks. Disappointments and defeats. But one thing is certain: We, as one nation under god, can fulfill the true promise of America as a beacon of hope to the world. It is in our hands. Let us do it. Let is begin the journey here and today.

Thank you all very much, may God bless you and may God bless the United States of America.

After the speech and the conclusion of the events in front of the Capitol, the new president and vice presidents, joined by Ms. Ronstadt and Mrs. Church, attended the departure of former President Gerald Ford and his wife Betty. The Fords went on board Marine One, that took them off to Andrews Air Force Base, where the presidential plane would fly them back home to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Before going on board the aircraft, Ford held small farewell ceremony on the airfield and thanked servicepersonell for their service.

Back at the Capitol, President Jerry Brown signed formal letters for cabinet appointments and presidential proclamations. Afterwards, a lunch took place in the Capitol. At 3.30 p.m., Brown and Church arrived at the White House to prepare for the evening inaugural ball.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2022, 02:18:38 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 02:02:35 PM by President Johnson »

January 21, 1981: President Brown signs first Executive Orders, orders hiring freeze, aims government transparency and halts additional military aid to Afghan militias

On his first full day in office, President Jerry Brown immediately went to work and signed a first round of Executive Orders in the Oval Office, concerning both domestic and foreign policy.

- The first order was obligatory hiring freeze for the entire executive branch of the federal government, which is usually implemented after new administrations take office.

- The second decree forms a presidential committee to make suggesting for the reinstatement of price controls that were ended under the Rockefeller Administration. The committee is chaired by incoming Treasury Secretary Reubin Askew and consists a number of economists. Other members are Vice President Frank Church and White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis.

- The third decree forms another presidential commission to work out a bipartisan update for the Freedom of Information Act to strengthen government transparency and accountability. Vice President Frank Church was named the chair of the commission, as Church was already an outspoken supporter of improved transparency laws while a senator. With this move, the president fulfills a campaign promise.

- Related to the previous point, President Brown issued a memorandum that tasks a subcommittee with reviewing classified information from World War II up until 1961 for declassification. This order also touches potential wrongdoings by the American government, such as internment of Japanese Americans in the 1940s (although a reparations program was already enacted under President Rockefeller) and the American role in the first Indochina War in the 1950s. Any suggestions will be submitted to the president in the coming months, awaiting for his final approval.

- The final Executive Order signed by President Brown halts all additional military aid to local forces in Afghanistan fighting the Soviet invasion. It does not touch aid and arms deliveries already authorized under the Ford Administration. However, Brown has been more cautious in supporting various groups that he said “do not share our views of freedom and human rights.” In his decree, the president concludes that “additional aid, funded by American taxpayers, has not yet proven to be in the vital interest of the United States or any of its vital allies.” Later that day, Brown told a reporter that his administration was soon starting a new diplomatic effort to resolve the conflict and that a presidential memorandum was currently in the making. The new initiative will begin as soon as all foreign policy appointments are confirmed.

January 22, 1981: President Brown issues full pardons for Vietnam Draft dodgers

As promised during the presidential campaign, President Jerry Brown has issued a full pardon for all Vietnam Draft Dodgers on his second full day in office. The move was controversial and faced criticism from a group of bipartisan lawmakers. After American military involvement ended with the Paris Treaty in 1971, the Rockefeller Administration implemented a program for Draft dodgers to earn a presidential program after taking office in 1973. The program continued through the Rockefeller and Ford presidencies, and more than 5,000 draft dodgers were pardoned after working for nonprofit causes, as outlined in Rockefeller’s presidential proclamation.

Brown, who was long critical of Vietnam War, said it was long past time to finally put the issue to rest and allow all draft dodgers to come back home without fear of prosecution and return to normal life.

January 23, 1981: Senate confirms Shriver, Muskie and Boggs

The three most important foreign policy cabinet members were confirmed by the senate on Day 3 of the Brown Administration: Sargent Shriver received 96 votes in favor and just two against to be the new Secretary of State. Edmund Muskie was confirmed 89-9 for Defense Secretary. He himself voted present and subsequently resigned his seat. George Mitchell, a Democrat, was appointed to take the seat as new senator from Maine. The senate also voted in favor of Lindy Boggs as UN Ambassador, with 78 Yeahs and 18 Nays.

Just hours after being sworn in by Vice President Frank Church, Secretary of State Sargent Shriver and Defense Secretary Muskie went on board for a joint diplomatic trip. Their first stop was in London for government consultations with Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, before heading to Bonn, Germany, and later Rome. The two then flew to Israel and Egypt to discuss the Iran-Iraq conflict.

January 26, 1981: Group of 25 Republican senators voice opposition to Chavez’ nomination as Labor Secretary

A group of 25 Republican senators, led by John Tower (R-TX) and Howard Baker (R-TN), have issued a written statement formally opposing the nomination of labor leader Cesar Chavez as Secretary of Labor. The group, that consist both members of the conservative and moderate wing, claims potential conflicts of interests and lack of experience in public office as reasoning for their stance. In part the statement reads: “While we recognize Mr. Chavez’ personal integrity and his sincere efforts to improve conditions for workers in this country, we believe that Mr. Chavez is not best suited to occupy the position of US Labor Secretary. A cabinet member overseeing this important Department of the Executive Branch needs not only a fierce understanding of governing business in practice, but an independent view on labor issues. We recognize Mr. Chavez’ outspoken opinions and values, but we came to the conclusion that it would be in the best interest of the nation for President Brown to withdraw the nomination and present an alternate choice to the senate.” A group of Democratic senators, led by Majority Whip Albert Brewer (D-AL) and Alan Cranston (D-CA), have dismissed the statement and announced support for Chavez after meeting with him.

Republican leader Mark Hatfield (R-OR), a moderate, has not committed to support or oppose Chavez’ nomination. However, the two men are expected to meet on February 1, and Hatfield could announce his decision soon after. Hatfield’s support may be critical for Chavez to win at least 50 votes, as the Democrats only hold 52 seats and a number of defections, mainly from the South, would make any Republican vote essential. White House sources report that Vice President Frank Church is already lobbying behind the scenes to get Chavez through, talking to many of his former long-time colleagues.

Political observers already expected unusual strong opposition to Chavez’ nomination right after his nomination was made public, although they seemed surprise that already 25 senators have voiced opposition.

January 27, 1981: White House announces Alaska summit between President Brown and Secretary General Brezhnev in March

A week into office, a White House spokesman confirmed that a meeting between Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev and President Jerry Brown would take place in March. The informal summit was agreed to during a telephone conversation between the two heads of state and a first meeting between a Soviet diplomat and Secretary of State Sargent Shriver in Bonn, Germany. A mansion near Fairbanks, Alaska was chosen as location. In previous years, Brezhnev already met with President Rockefeller at the same place, where they agreed to arms reduction treaties such as SALT.

Sources from Moscow said that Brezhnev was eager for an in-person meeting with the new American president, who was pretty much an unknown within the Politburo before securing the Democratic nomination. Soviet officials expressed their willingness to continue détente policies begun during the final years of the Johnson presidency and continued under Rockefeller and Ford. However, after the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan, US-Soviet relations cooled down significantly. Brown’s decision to hold additional military aid to Afghan forces was welcomed in Moscow, although the president made clear that, like his predecessor, views the intervention as an illegal act breaking international law. Brown also said that any additional arms control treaties with the USSR require a “significant change in Soviet foreign policy”.

January 30, 1981: Senate confirms more cabinet members

Additional Brown cabinet members were confirmed by the senate: Attorney General Ramsey Clark was approved with 80 votes, 15 against and two members voting present. Former Florida governor Democratic presidential candidate Reubin Askew won approval for Treasury Secretary 97-0, Juanita M. Kreps for Commerce (93-4) and William Ruckelshaus for Transportation (97-0). The nominations of Jimmy Carter for Secretary of Agriculture and Pat Schroeder for Interior were approved by committees, heading for a vote the following week.

A number of Republican lawmakers and Southern Democrats like Harry F. Bird opposed Clark’s nomination because of his work as private lawyer after leaving government at the end of Lyndon Johnson’s term in 1973.

January 31, 1981: New Gallup poll

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 63%
Disapprove: 28%

Favorabilities

President Jerry Brown (D)
Favorable: 65%
Unfavorable: 30%
Don't know: 5%

Vice President Frank Church (D)
Favorable: 54%
Unfavorable: 24%
Don't know: 22%

First Lady Linda Ronstadt (D)
Favorable: 67%
Unfavorable: 20%
Don't know: 13%

Secretary of State Sargent Shriver (D)
Favorable: 35%
Unfavorable: 19%
Don't know: 46%

House Speaker Tip O'Neill (D)
Favorable: 42%
Unfavorable: 38%
Don't know: 20%

House Minority Leader Bob Michel (R)
Favorable: 18%
Unfavorable: 12%
Don't know: 70%

Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D)
Favorable: 41%
Unfavorable: 35%
Don't know: 24%

Senate Minority Leader Mark Hatfield (R)
Favorable: 37%
Unfavorable: 21%
Don't know: 42%

New York Governor Robert F. Kennedy (D)
Favorable: 56%
Unfavorable: 40%
Don't know: 4%

California Governor Mike Curb (R)
Favorable: 24%
Unfavorable: 17%
Don't know: 59%

Chief Justice John Paul Stevens
Favorable: 43%
Unfavorable: 24%
Don't know: 33%

Former President Gerald R. Ford (R)
Favorable: 70%
Unfavorable: 26%
Don't know: 4%

Former Vice President William Scranton (R)
Favorable: 50%
Unfavorable: 37%
Don't know: 13%

Former California Governor Ronald Reagan (R)
Favorable: 51%
Unfavorable: 44%
Don't know: 5%

Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon (R)
Favorable: 55%
Unfavorable: 39%
Don't know: 6%
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

Nice update. Thanks.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2022, 05:13:47 PM »

Hopefully President Brown takes a more aggressive approach against the commies
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #704 on: February 08, 2022, 12:57:06 AM »

Will Linda Ronstadt continue her music career as First Lady, even if she wouldn’t be able to hold concert tours? (or would she be able to even with Secret Service?)
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »

Will Linda Ronstadt continue her music career as First Lady, even if she wouldn’t be able to hold concert tours? (or would she be able to even with Secret Service?)

In our timeline (IOT), Ronstadt released her platinum-selling album Mad Love in February 1980. I don't think anything from this timeline butterflies that away. In summer 1980 OTL, Ronstadt did a run of Pirates of Penzance, which had... mixed reviews, but the production was on Broadway from January 1981 to November 1982. I imagine this run doesn't happen in this timeline, which could be a great thing for Ronstadt's career, since it was followed by a series of albums of albums from the Great American Songbook (a decidedly major career shift). Ronstadt might not be able to hold concert tours, but there's nothing stopping her from inviting musicians to the White House. Imagine another Woodstock, but at the White House, and instead of Nixon's War on Drugs, we get earlier decriminalization of cannabis, Farm Aid... many possibilities!
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #706 on: February 08, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »

In our timeline (IOT), Ronstadt released her platinum-selling album Mad Love in February 1980. I don't think anything from this timeline butterflies that away. In summer 1980 OTL, Ronstadt did a run of Pirates of Penzance, which had... mixed reviews, but the production was on Broadway from January 1981 to November 1982. I imagine this run doesn't happen in this timeline, which could be a great thing for Ronstadt's career, since it was followed by a series of albums of albums from the Great American Songbook (a decidedly major career shift). Ronstadt might not be able to hold concert tours, but there's nothing stopping her from inviting musicians to the White House. Imagine another Woodstock, but at the White House, and instead of Nixon's War on Drugs, we get earlier decriminalization of cannabis, Farm Aid... many possibilities!

Assuming Brown serves two terms, and assuming they're still dating or even married by then, I wonder if Brown's presidency would affect the release of Linda's 1987 album Canciones de Mi Padre, the biggest selling non-English language album in American history, which was a very big milestone for her career.

Trio, her collaboration album with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris, was also released in 1987, also a major part of her career. That could be affected too?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #707 on: February 10, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »

I think there's an opening here that Brown's Afghanistan policies could be a net plus for America in the long run. As questionable as the Soviet invasion was, we clearly supported the wrong people there that came back to haunt us.

In the short run, Brown may be seen as weak on communism though. But as long as he gets the economy back, it shouldn't be much of an issue and he'll win reelection.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: February 10, 2022, 02:08:21 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 02:03:01 PM by President Johnson »

February 1, 1981

BREAKING: President Brown nominates Shirley Hufstedler for Supreme Court

Following busy days of extensive interviews with candidates and inner discussions among his senior staff, President Jerry Brown hosted a White House event in the East Room to announce his pick for the Supreme Court seat vacated by his father on December 31. Joined by Vice President Frank Church, Chief Justice John Paul Stevens and former Associate Justice Pat Brown, the president introduced Shirley Hufstedler as his choice. The 55-year old lawyer served as federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit since 1968, having been nominated by then-President Lyndon B. Johnson. Brown praised her as “extraordinary legal mind” that would bring “a strong commitment to the rule of law from a different, much needed perspective” to the bench. Hufstedler thanked Brown and Church for the nomination and their confidence during a brief address. Right after the ceremony, the president signed the nomination paper in the Oval Office while reporters present.

With the selection, Brown fulfills a campaign promise to nominate the first woman to the nation’s highest court. Immediate responses from political observers were positive, as were reactions from senators of both parties. Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D-WV) said that the Judiciary Committee was prepared to begin hearings as soon as the following week.

February 3, 1981: Senate confirms Carter, Burke and Schroeder for cabinet

The senate has confirmed two more of President Jerry Brown’s cabinet nominations, nearing completion of his top-level administration members. Former Georgia Governor and 1972 vice presidential nominee Jimmy Carter, a peanut farmer, was approved as Secretary of Agriculture with a 95-1 vote. The senate also voted in favor of Representative Pat Schroeder (D-CO) to become Secretary of the Interior, making her the first woman for the best. However, her nomination was more controversial: She only received 61 votes in favor, 33 against while 2 senators voted present. Lastly, former Congresswoman Yvonne Brathwaite Burke (D-CA) was given green light for HHS Secretary, becoming the first black woman ever serving in a cabinet position. Her nomination was approved with a 87-9 vote.

All three were sworn into office by Vice President Frank Church right after the senate cleared the way.

February 10, 1981: Minority Leader Hatfield comes out against Chavez, putting cabinet nomination in doubt

“After careful evaluation, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot support the nomination of Mr. Cesar Chavez for Secretary of Labor. While I have profound respect for his work in the labor movement and very much appreciate his efforts to reach out, I believe it is in the best interest for President Brown to withdraw the nomination”, Senate Majority Leader Mark Hatfield (R-OR) said in a public statement that morning. The Oregonian was seen as one of the most critical senators after more than 25 members of his caucus announced their opposition to the labor leader’s surprise nomination by his friend Jerry Brown. However, Hatfield also added that he was not actively working against Chavez, insisting Republican senators were free to vote their mind.

Insiders at the capitol report that Hatfield was initially open to supporting Chavez, and in doing so would have eased things for the White House in light of potential Democratic defections, but was under increasing pressure from conservative members of his caucus to block the nomination. Although there hasn’t been an open challenge to the moderate Hatfield, conservatives behind the scenes have voiced skepticism about his leadership. Hatfield was initially supported by former President Nelson Rockefeller for his position. Before his death in May 1979, Rockefeller and his allies actively tried to convince Hatfield of a presidential candidacy in 1980 as leading candidate of the moderate wing.

February 12, 1981: White House will not withdraw Chavez nomination as Church lobbies for votes

Mark Hatfield’s statement put increasing pressure on the White House, and Cesar Chavez reportedly offered his withdrawal to the president during a private meeting in Camp David. However, Jerry Brown and his Chief of Staff Gray Davis declined the offer and insisted for a senate vote. After the Chicago Tribune issued an op-ed calling for Chavez to drop out, a White House spokesman on February 12 confirmed that President Brown was sticking with his decision.

Numerous sources confirm that Vice President Frank Church is lobbying for the nomination behind the scenes, talking to his former long-time colleagues. Church’s main goal is securing at least five or six Republican votes in the 52-48 senate while holding Democratic defections down to a handful. So far, 39 senators expressed opposition to Chavez, including Harry F. Byrd Jr., a Virginia independent caucusing with the Democrats. Only 23 announced their support, among them Majority Whip Albert Brewer (D-AL), Alan Cranston (D-CA) and New York’s senators Mario Cuomo and Elizabeth Holtzman. Latter denounced Hatfield’s opposition in stark terms, calling him weak and a “hostage of the Reagan/Goldwater wing”.

February 16, 1981: Bipartisan group of senators introduces legislation to overrule President Brown’s halt of Afghanistan aid

A bipartisan group of senators have introduced legislation seeking to overturn President Brown’s order to pause delivery of arms and other military equipment to militia forces in Afghanistan, resisting the presence of the Soviet Army. Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV), a leading sponsor of the bill, told reporters that he views the administration’s policy as naive and that it would send a bad sign to Moscow. “The president blatantly emboldens Soviet expansion desires with this order and as a reward, Brezhnev is hosted for dinner in Alaska. At this point, we’re clearly operating from a position of weakness and I urge the administration to correct course”, Laxalt said. Other co-sponsors include seven Democratic senators like freshman William R. Schultz (D-AZ). Republican Whip John Tower has called for Secretary of State Sargent Shriver to appear before the Foreign Policy Committee for further explanation. “We have a lot of questions”, Tower said. Meanwhile, Senator Mario Cuomo (D-NY) defended the Brown Administration: “There’s no need for additional weapons, but for additional diplomacy. That’s exactly what we’re doing.”

Administration officials were not immediately responding to this development or the question whether the president would veto said legislation, if it reached his desk.

February 20, 1981: First Lady Linda Ronstadt announces pause of music career in interview, introduces initiative for healthy school food

Exactly a month into the Brown presidency, First Lady Linda Ronstadt was giving her first extended TV interview at Face the Nation. At the beginning, Ronstadt announced to pause her music career as long as Jerry Brown was serving as president. “I came to the conclusion that this was in everybody’s best interest. It’s not that Jerry wanted me to pause for his political career, it’s just a matter of practicability”, she said. She added that hosting concerts would be extremely difficult with Secret Service protection. However, she announced to give a concert at the South lawn of the White House at some time, possibly in summer during an event. Asked whether the couple had any plans for marriage, Ronstadt declined to answer, but that some announcement may occur over the next months. “At this point, Jerry is just too busy to make sure America is governed well. He loves this country and takes his immense responsibility as commander-in-chief very seriously.”

Ronstadt also announced a new priority for her tenure as First Lady: Making sure meals served in schools become healthier. She told Face the Nation that she has already reached out to school boards across the country and state governments for the initiative. A White House spokesman confirmed that the initiative was also part of planned legislation on early childhood education, which is expected to be introduced later in the year.

February 25, 1981: President Brown to address congress on March 4, faces criticism for delay in presentation of economic recovery agenda

Long awaited, the White House and Speaker O’Neill’s office finally announced March 4 as the date for President Jerry Brown’s first address to congress and the nation. In his address, Brown is expected to lay out his detailed policy agenda for the coming months, particularly his administration’s response to the struggling economy and inflation (in January, the US only gained 50k new jobs).

Political commentators and a group of Republican lawmakers have already criticized the administration for not already presenting an economic recovery program. California governor Mike Curb, Brown’s successor and a Republican, stated “the president is missing in action”. Appearing on the Dick Cavett Show, White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis denounced the criticism. “We’re working on a wide-ranging program with lawmakers, economists and labor. That’s not something you do overnight. We want to make sure this works out well”, Davis said, and added: “We invite critics to engage in the process instead of firing cheap shots.”

February 28, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 58% ▼
Disapprove: 34% ▲
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #709 on: February 10, 2022, 05:11:15 PM »

I think there's an opening here that Brown's Afghanistan policies could be a net plus for America in the long run. As questionable as the Soviet invasion was, we clearly supported the wrong people there that came back to haunt us.

In the short run, Brown may be seen as weak on communism though. But as long as he gets the economy back, it shouldn't be much of an issue and he'll win reelection.

The Soviets did arguably more evil things in Afghanistan than the Tailban did

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/adam-toozes-chartbook-30-back-to

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet–Afghan_War

Between 6.5%–11.5% of Afghanistan's population is estimated to have perished in the conflict. The war caused grave destruction in Afghanistan

Irrigation systems, crucial to agriculture in Afghanistan's arid climate, were destroyed by aerial bombing and strafing by Soviet or government forces. In the worst year of the war, 1985, well over half of all the farmers who remained in Afghanistan had their fields bombed, and over one quarter had their irrigation systems destroyed and their livestock shot by Soviet or government troops, according to a survey conducted by Swedish relief experts.[262] Everything was the target in the country, from cities, villages, up to schools, hospitals, roads, bridges, factories and orchards. Soviet tactics included targeting areas which showed support for the Mujahideen, and forcing the populace to flee the rural territories the communists were unable to control. Half of Afghanistan's 24,000 villages were destroyed by the end of the war

So yah I hope congress overrides Brown on this even with IRL hindsight cause the Soviets were the greater of the evils
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #710 on: February 10, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »

Very well-written! Hope Brown can keep his course and prevent the rise of the Taliban and the Afghanistan War, and hope Chavez gets confirmed.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #711 on: February 10, 2022, 05:59:45 PM »

Jerry Brown stood up, put his left hand on a bible held by Linda Ronstadt, and repeated the oath Chief Justice Homer Thornberry spoke.

I don't think any TL will ever achieve such an amazing sentence as this one
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #712 on: February 13, 2022, 04:23:59 AM »

Jerry Brown stood up, put his left hand on a bible held by Linda Ronstadt, and repeated the oath Chief Justice Homer Thornberry spoke.

I don't think any TL will ever achieve such an amazing sentence as this one

Lmao... thanks. I guess that's my style of writing since I started writing novels.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #713 on: February 13, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »

I love the update. Can't wait to see how Brown helps the US truly become a liberal republic, instead of the weird center-right country we've become. I love the SCOTUS choice, sorry if I spoiled that and you were already planning for Hufstedler!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #714 on: February 14, 2022, 02:30:56 PM »

March 2, 1981: Vice President Church breaks tie to confirm Chavez as Secretary of Labor

The final chapter of the epic fight for Cesar Chavez’ embattled nomination as Secretary of Labor has come to a close: Following a showdown on the senate floor, the congressional body ended up with a 50-50 for the nomination. To the last hours, the final outcome was unclear, as administration officials – especially Vice President Frank Church – lobbied behind the scenes for approval of Chavez. The nominee himself did a round of phone calls to reassure senators. The most critical was securing support from Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX), who didn’t make up his mind to the last second. Bentsen and Brown were fierce competitors during the Democratic primaries in 1980 and Bentsen didn’t come out in support of Brown until the final weeks of the campaign. Finally, it was reported that Senator Lawton Chiles (D-FL) talked into Bentsen’s mind, eventually securing his vote.

As the result was expected to be close, Vice President Frank Church already presided over the senate during the vote, ready to break a potential tie. Finally, Church indeed cast the first tie-breaking vote of his vice presidency and Chavez was subsequently confirmed to the post. He was sworn in as Secretary of Labor later that day during a White House ceremony.

With Chavez in office, the top-level positions of Brown Administration were complete:

- President: Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D-CA)
- Vice President: Frank Church (D-ID)

- Secretary of State: Sargent Shriver (D-MD)
- Attorney General: Ramsey Clark (D-NY)
- Secretary of Defense: Edmund Muskie (D-ME)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Reubin Askew (D-FL)
- Secretary of Commerce: Juanita M. Kreps (D-NC)
- Secretary of the Interior: Pat Schroeder (D-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)*
- Secretary of HHS: Yvonne Brathwaite Burke (D-CA)
- Secretary of Agriculture: James E. Carter (D-GA)
- Secretary of Energy: John B. Anderson (R-IL)*
- Secretary of Labor: Cesar Chavez (D-CA)
- Secretary of Transportation: William Ruckelshaus (R-IN)
- U.N. Ambassador: Lindy Boggs (D-LA)

- White House Chief of Staff: Gray Davis (D-CA)
- National Security Advisor: Cyrus Vance (D-WV)

* Holdover from the Ford Administration

March 9, 1981: In first address to congress, President Brown outlines economic agenda and defends foreign policy decisions

The president was welcomed with standing ovations, when he entered the House chamber for the first time in his tenure. Long awaited, President Jerry Brown devoted the lion’s share of his address for presenting and promoting his economic relief program. Over the previous three days, the chief executive retreated from Washington to Camp David for extensive preparations, joined by the First Lady, Chief of Staff Davis, Treasury Secretary Askew and Labor Secretary Chavez.

“My fellow Americans, it is time that we get to work and bring back our economy”, he opened his 47-minute speech, “what I am presenting here today is not just another piece of legislation, it is pretty much a blueprint to regain our American dream. And this time, for all of our fellow countrymen. And women.”

What the Brown Administration proposes is called the Economic Recovery and Reform Act of 1981. During his speech, the president outlined the following objectives:

- Phased-in 15% cut in individual tax rates over two years; top rate increase from 70% to 75%
- Minimum wage increase from 3.50$ to 4.25$ by January 1, 1983.
- 400 Billion Dollars in public infrastructure programs
- Accelerated depreciation deductions, with a special program for small businesses

President Brown explicitly singled out Senators Albert Brewer (D-AL), Mario Cuomo (D-NY) and Lawton Chiles (D-FL) as well as Representative Mo Udall (D-AZ), who are the main congressional proponents of the bill.

Foreign policy played a smaller role in the speech and the president just devoted the last ten minutes to various subjects, including his upcoming meeting with Leonid Brezhnev. Brown also defended his halt of additional military aid to Afghan forces, saying that the Ford Administration had already approved enough such shipments. Furthermore, the president raised the question whether anybody fighting the USSR was automatically an ally of American values. “My friends, the uncomfortable truth is, that our advisory’s enemy is not automatically our friend. For too long, we have divided the world into black and white, not realizing how much gray was out there. My administration begs differ”, he said. Political observers outlined that Brown repeatedly referred to the USSR as “advisory” and not “enemy”.

A Gallup poll from the next day showed that 55% of viewers approved Brown’s message, while 37% disapproved.

March 15, 1981: US Intelligence warns of imminent war threat in Iran-Iraq conflict

Concerning news from the Intel Service: Citing internal sources to the community, the New York Times reported that the military presence at the Iran-Iraq border was further increased in recent weeks. First such reporters were already made public in the final months of 1980 and had US government officials on concern. Shortly after taking office, Secretary of State Sargent Shriver undertook a diplomatic mission to the Middle East, but his efforts couldn’t ease tensions.

Congressional leaders urged President Brown to set an ultimatum to both sides to reduce their troops near the border. So far, the president was rejected any call for US involvement and suspended additional military aid to Iraq. However, a number of reports indicate Iraq still has access to arms deliveries through other actors in the region. Meanwhile, Republican senators led by Minority Whip John Tower (R-TX) have opted to include Iraq into the proposed Tower-Shultz Act, a legislation that seeks to overturn President Brown’s halt of Afghanistan military aid.

March 26, 1981: Brown-Brezhnev Alaska summit produces few results

The setting was kept on smaller size on purpose, when President Jerry Brown and Soviet Leader Leonid Brezhnev, the aging General Secretary, met in a mansion near Fairbanks, Alaska, for a day of diplomatic consultations. This included both face-to-face meetings between the two leaders, as well as talks in a conference room with their most important cabinet members. For the US government, Secretary of State Shriver and National Security Advisor Vance participated in meetings. Although a good number of journalists from the international press participated, little information went out to the public. Vance, however, briefed the American press that President Brown has offered new talks about arms reductions treaties between the superpowers should the USSR end their combat operation in Afghanistan. Sources claim that Brezhnev remained vague about the offer, though he was apparently impressed how prepared the new president with little foreign policy experience was. Another issue of high priority was Iran-Iraq conflict. While Brezhnev, according to Vance’s aide, refused to actively influence Teheran, he assured Brown not to block an UN resolution against Iran should an attack occur. However, this was under the condition that the Brown Administration was maintaining its halt for arms deliveries.

An originally scheduled press statement between the two leaders was cancelled, officially for schedule reasons concerning the General Secretary, who needed to return to Moscow. Only a joint written statement was handed out, essentially confirming Vance’s earlier statements. The statement reemphasized the need for ongoing diplomatic consultations and Brezhnev invited Brown to Moscow in the autumn for renewed talks.

Despite not holding a press conference, President Brown briefly answered a few questions on his way back to Air Force One:

Reporter I: Mr. President, do you now have a more clear understanding what Mr. Brezhnev’s objectives are?

President Brown: I certainly think so. It does not mean that I agree with his objectives, not at all, but it’s always important to understand the man’s position. I believe we got closer to this mutual understanding today.

Reporter II: Mr. President, were you able to talk to other Soviet leaders? Since Secretary General Brezhnev is apparently not in good health, wouldn’t you want to establish a relationship with potential successors?

President Brown: It is not up to me or anybody in American government to discuss these questions. Of course the White House and State Department have various communication channels to members of the Politburo. It’s quite common.

Reporter I: Sir, if I may ask a second question, what are you saying to lawmakers and observers who voiced criticism that you met with Brezhnev in person before you did so with a number of allies, including Prime Minister Thatcher of the UK?

President Brown: I haven’t heard of such critics. Look, I’ve already met the Canadian and Japanese Prime Minister at the White House, just like I met the Mexican president last month in Texas. I’ve already phoned with Prime Minister Thatcher multiple times and she invited me to London. I have accepted that invitation and a date is about to be announced soon. We think in May. But I don’t know which criticism you’re referring to.

Reporter I: Senator Dole said so.

President Brown: First time I was criticized by a Republican senator? I’m shocked!

Reporter II: Mr. President, what did you tell Brezhnev about your policies with regard to Afghanistan? Especially if the Soviets continue and increase their military operation?

President Brown: I was clear that I regard this invasion of a sovereign country was a violation of international law and that I strongly condemn any loss of life or property caused by the Soviets. It is clear that we have a strong disagreement here and that we cannot have discussions about arms reduction treaties until this matter is resolved. He now knows my positions and I believe that the Politburo will have to make a decision how they want to proceed.

Reporter III: But why have you suspended military aid?

President Brown: I stopped additional aid. All commitments made under the previous administration are valid. I have already outlined why I believe there’s currently no need for more weapons, especially for militia forces that do not share American values. First of all, the violence needs to stop from all sides.

Reporter IV: Mr. President, in the opinions of many, including Democratic congressmen, you should not have rewarded Mr. Brezhnev with this meeting before he withdraws from Afghanistan. What’s your response?

President Brown: My response is simple: It’s no reward. I didn’t surrender anything. That the two leaders of the greatest military powers talk to each other should be quite the norm, not the exception. We need to talk to each other, not about each other. Because it is latter, that may cause more severe problems, including a military confrontation. And in the best interest of the world, we don’t want that. As contrary as our positions might be. So, thank you all, have a great day.

March 31, 1981: Economic report for Q1 remains underwhelming

The economy remains a top concern: Economic growth in the first quarter was just 0.1% and even slightly negative in the month of March. The month’s jobs report also remained underwhelming, with just 80k jobs added. Following the report, President Brown publically urged congress to pass his economic relief program as soon as possible. However, Republican lawmakers and a number of Southern Democrats urged for patience. Moderate and conservative Republicans, unusually united, have come out pretty much against proposed tax increases while the administration continues to insist to leave corporate taxes untouched to limit the federal deficit.

New Gallup poll

Approve: 58% ▬
Disapprove: 35% ▲
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #715 on: February 15, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »

Reporter I: Senator Dole said so.

President Brown: First time I was criticized by a Republican senator? I’m shocked!

LOL... best part of a great update.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #716 on: February 21, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »

April 7, 1981: Republican congressmen introduce constitutional amendment to abolish Electoral College

A group of 18 Republican congressmen led by Newt Gingrich (R-GA) introduced a constitutional amendment to abolish the Electoral College and switch to direct popular vote elections for the presidency. A decent number of Republicans have become increasingly skeptical of the Electoral College following Ronald Reagan’s loss in the 1980 presidential election despite winning a plurality of the popular vote. As soon as Jerry Brown’s victory in Missouri – winning the presidency with a 210-vote margin in the state – was finally confirmed, Republican circles demanded to look at the possibility of changes to the constitution. Under the Gingrich proposal, the Electoral College would be eliminated entirely, though the states would continue to oversee presidential elections. The states would only report their total vote numbers to the US Secretary of State and congress, where the final votes would be counted and officially certified by a joint session of congress. Subsequently, the ticket with the most votes would automatically win.

So far, no Democrat has openly come out in favor of the proposal. Gingrich rejected criticism about state’s rights: “It’s not an infringement of state’s rights, as the states continue to oversee elections. We just want all votes count equally”, he said. It’s not clear how much steam the campaign from Gingrich will gain, as it’s a constitutional amendment needing 2/3 of congress and ratification by at least 38 states.

Bipartisan group proposes additional 50 electoral votes for US at large, Reagan voices support

While the Gingrich proposal seeks to eliminate the Electoral College entirely, a different proposal was presented by a group of bipartisan lawmakers, led by Congressman Glenn M. Anderson (D-CA) and Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV). This proposal aims to maintain the Electoral College in its current form, but extend it by 50 additional votes for the winner of the national popular vote. Consequently, the Electoral College would consist 588 votes, requiring 295 electoral votes to win the presidency. Applied for the 1980 election, Reagan would have won 318 electoral votes, defeating Brown with a comfortable majority.

After public introduction of the proposal, Reagan himself in his first public statement since conceding to Brown, voiced support. “I believe that this is a suggestion that would take into consideration various viewpoints on the matter and therefore creating a fair balance between state’s rights and a common desire by the public”, he said at a Republican fundraiser. “My position has always been to ensure both of these principals.” Reagan did not answer whether he would actively campaign for such a constitutional amendment. However, he voted that bipartisan support was key and called upon leading Democrats to clarify their positions.

The White House did not specify comment on either proposal, saying it was up to congress to debate and decide. “The president, however, has always been open to ideas to improve the voting process”, a spokesman said. President Brown later added that the idea of 50 additional electoral votes looked “interesting”, though asked whether the US Secretary of State awarding the votes would be constitutional. “There are questions that need to be answered by legal scholars, and I look forward to that”, he said.

Mid-April: Former Secretary of State Nixon lobbies for overturn of arms embargo, faces criticism over international trips

Is Tricky Dick back in the political arena? After lawmakers of both parties proposed legislation to overturn President Brown’s imposed halt of arms deliveries to Afghanistan, former Secretary of State Richard Nixon has reportedly lobbied for passage of the bill in backroom talks. Various sources claimed the former top diplomat was upset about a “strategic disaster” after Brown announced his decision. “Nixon was furious, President Brown would do Moscow such a favor and then meet with Brezhnev without pre-conditions”, the Washington Post writes in part.

Following the report on April 16, a number of Democratic officials quickly came out to attack Nixon. “Mr. Nixon is no longer a government official and therefore needs to be a lot more cautious with his interferences ongoing affairs”, Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd said in a rebuke. After Nixon made a number of international trips over March, including to Egypt and Pakistan, Senator Elizabeth Holtzman (D-NY) called upon the Justice Department to investigate the former secretary over potential violations of the Logan Act. “I think it’s outrageous that Mr. Nixon tries to do shadow diplomacy here. He actively undermines the Brown Administration’s standing”, she told a reporter on Capitol Hill.

Nixon himself just released a written statement, saying his efforts were within his constitutional rights as a citizen. “If a private citizen and former official has no right to express his opinions about debates legislation and travel internationally for informal talks, tyranny isn’t that far. I reject the criticism, which is purely driven by partisan bickering in an effort to deflect from apparent foreign policy failures by current officials”, the statement reads.

April 25, 1981: House passes Economic Recovery and Reform Act 230-198, difficult senate negotiations ahead

President Brown’s economic relief program has taken a major hurdle: The House passed the legislation with 230 votes, including from 46 Republicans. As passed by the lower house of congress, the bill contains (some changes were made to the proposal by President Brown):

- Phased-in 15% cut in individual tax rates over two years; top rate increase from 70% to 72%
- Minimum wage increase from 3.50$ to 4.10$ by January 1, 1983.
- 380 Billion Dollars in public infrastructure programs
- Accelerated depreciation deductions, with a special program for small businesses

However, the biggest obstacle remains the senate, where no Republican so far has vowed to vote for the bill in its current form. Only 34 Democrats pledged to do so, while over 100 amendments have already been proposed. White House Chief of Staff Gray Davis, who’s a leading negotiator for the president, said he wanted the bill signed before the summer recess.

April 30, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 55% ▼
Disapprove: 38% ▲

May 1, 1981: President Brown signs reform of Freedom of Information Act

An important piece of legislation has reached President Brown’s desk after months of negotations the president was actively involved in. The bill, that passed the House 290-139 and senate 65-31, amends the initial Freedom of Information Act passed in 1966 and smaller amendments made during the Rockefeller presidency.

The bill contains the following specifications:

- Information relating to national defense,
- Related solely to internal personnel rules and practices,
- Related to accusing a person of a crime,
- Related to information where disclosure would constitute a breach of privacy,
- Related to investigatory records where the information would harm the proceedings,
- Related to information which would lead to financial speculation or endanger the stability of any financial institution, and
- Related to the agency's participation in legal proceedings.

With the reform, President Jerry Brown fulfills a major campaign promise, pledging to work for more government transparency.

May 23, 1981: Senate confirms Hufstedler to become first female SCOTUS Justice

The US Supreme Court has his first female Associate Justice: After several weeks of hearings and meetings with senators, the Senate finally approved President Brown’s nomination of Shirley Hufstedler with 90 votes in favor, 5 against and one present. Chief Justice John Paul Stevens administered the oath of office the same day at a White House ceremony.

Following Pat Brown’s departure at New Year’s Eve, the court’s bench is complete again. The nomination doesn’t change ideological lines much, with the liberals clearly in the majority.

BONUS: The current Supreme Court
(As of May 31, 1981)

- John Paul Stevens (Chief Justice) (since 1977, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- William J. Brennan (since 1956, appointed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower)

- Potter Stewart (since 1958, appointed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower)

- Byron White (since 1962, appointed by President John F. Kennedy)

- Thurgood Marshall (since 1967, appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson)

- Arthur Goldberg (since 1971, re-appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson; intially appointed in 1962 by President Kennedy, left the bench in 1965)

- Louis J. Lefkowitz (since 1975, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- Warren E. Burger (since 1976, appointed by President Nelson Rockefeller)

- Shirley Hufstedler (since 1981, appointed by President Jerry Brown)

May 31, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 54% ▼
Disapprove: 39% ▲

---

Footnote: Earlier versions of previous updates cited Homer Thornberry as Chief Justice, but when I looked it up all the way back to 1977, I noticed that he already retired then and was replaced by John Paul Stevens. That was the lastest change on the bench.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »

So now the Linda Ronstadt Bible moment is with John Paul Stevens instead. Incredible!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2022, 04:39:26 PM »

That’s a pretty interesting electoral reform proposal as it does increase the importance of the national vote but the state by state EC results would clearly be more important
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »

I like the idea of the PV winner getting 50 EV’s. Could’ve had Presidents Gore and Hillary Clinton in OTL.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »

I like the idea of the PV winner getting 50 EV’s. Could’ve had Presidents Gore and Hillary Clinton in OTL.
As do I.
There was a commission in the 1970s that proposed giving 100 EVs as a block to the PV winner. This is just 50 EVs but it's structurally quite similar still and should get bipartisan support ITTL.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2022, 03:26:21 PM »

That’s a pretty interesting electoral reform proposal as it does increase the importance of the national vote but the state by state EC results would clearly be more important

Would you support the 50 additional votes proposal?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »

I’m not sure if Gore wins the PV in this scenario as the campaign would be a little different and given how close the PV was we have no idea how that ends up in the end .

Hillary still loses 306-282 though
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2022, 03:36:41 PM »

Would you support the 50 additional votes proposal?

Hmm yah since it doesn’t undermine the electoral college system I’d support it . It still makes it so you still have to do well State by state but it also gives the national vote some importance too and in super close races makes it so the results of one or two very close states aren’t as influential .

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #724 on: March 04, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »

June 5, 1981

BREAKING: IRAQ launches ATTACK on IRAN, Brown and Brezhnev call for cease fire

Following a major Iranian military buildup near the Iraqi border, Iraq attacked military targets in Iran and launched an invasion on June 5, 1981. The Iraqi Air Force conducted a series of air strikes on ten Iranian airfields with the objective of destroying Iranian Air Force. Although a number of targets were hit, several Iraqi planes were shot down by the Iranians, using Soviet anti-missile systems.

The next day, Iraq launched a ground invasion along a front of 300 miles. The invasion's purpose, according to Iraqi dictator Saddam, was to blunt the edge of Khomeini's movement and to thwart his attempts to export his Islamic revolution to Iraq and the Persian Gulf states. Saddam hoped an attack on Iran would cause such a blow to Iran's prestige that it would lead to the new government's downfall, or at least end Iran's calls for his overthrow. Tensions between the two countries significantly increased after the 1979 Iranian revolution that brought the Mullahs to power.

Although Iran was seemingly surprised by the attack, their large number of forces near the border were quick in stopping Saddam’s army from making severe territorial gains. Nonetheless, the fighting continued with, according to US Intel information, thousands of losses within a couple of days for both sides.

President Brown rejects calls for intervention, won’t approve new weapon exports

Meanwhile in Washington, President Jerry Brown issued at a statement condemning the violence from both sides. He forcefully rejected any notion that American forces should intervene. “It is not the policy of my administration to engage in a military conflict. I call for an immediate cease fire”, the said. Brown also informed the public about a telephone conversation with Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev, who also demanded an end to the war. However, while Brown clearly named Iran as the aggressor, the Soviets mainly blamed Saddam for the escalating conflict.

President Brown also used the opportunity to reinforce his policies with regard to arms shipments. After taking office, the chief executive issued a halt for arms exports to Iraq and Afghanistan, saying that such were counterproductive in solving ongoing conflicts and that the Ford Administration had already approved a large number of arms sales. These were not affected by Brown’s decision.

June 9, 1981: Byrd and Hatfield agree to split legislation to overrule arms embargo

With the recent escalation between Iraq and Iran, pressure on the White House mounts, to lift an embargo imposed by the president shortly after taking office. President Jerry Brown had both stopped additional deliveries of weaponry to Afghanistan against the Soviet invasion, as well as to Iraq and its dictator Saddam Hussein. Exports already approved under the Ford Administration were not affected by this decision. However, President Brown and Defense Secretary Muskie raised questions about the recipients, saying neither side were “friends of American and Western values.” After the decision drew increasing criticism in congress, lawmakers vowed to pass legislation to overrule the embargo. However, it is not clear whether a two thirds majority to overwrite a presidential veto would be reached.

Following developments in the Iran-Iraq war, Republican leader Hatfield has proposed to split up the bill, one for Iraq and one for Afghanistan, hoping to at least end the Iraq embargo. Senator Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D-WV) agreed to Hatfield’s proposal and rejected calls from New York’s senators Mario Cuomo and Elizabeth Holzman to use Hatfield’s urge as leverage for help in the economic relief bill. “We’re not playing such games”, Byrd is quoted during an internal meeting for the Democratic caucus.

The White House hasn’t reposed to said matter, including as to whether Brown would indeed veto such legislation. However, political observers expect him to.

June 20, 1981: Attorney General Clark opens probe against Nixon for potential Logan Act violation

Bombshell out of the Justice Department: A spokesman just announced that Attorney General Ramsey Clark has approved to open a formal probe into former Secretary of State Richard Nixon. At the center is Nixon’s “shadow diplomacy” in the Middle East and his efforts to overturn President Brown’s arms embargo. According to various sources, Nixon was also engaged in talks to the British and Turkish governments to deliver American arms to Iraq and Afghanistan through indirect routes. “There is evidence to justify a probe into whether Mr. Nixon, a private citizen, has been engaged in unlawful diplomatic missions that present a violation of the Logan Act”, the written statement by the Attorney General reads.

Richard Nixon’s private press secretary denounced the move, complaining about a “political hit job” and “liberal elites trying to smear Mr. Nixon for years”. Numerous news outlets also tried to reach the office of former President Gerald Ford for a statement, with no reaction. When asked at a public event in Detroit, Michigan, President Ford answered that he was not commenting on any business of the Justice Department. “The process will go its way”, he said.

June 30, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 56% ▲
Disapprove: 37% ▼

July 1, 1981: Republican attempt to hold Clark in contempt fails in House

A group of Republican congressmen introduced a resolution to hold Attorney General Ramsey Clark in contempt. The lawmakers slammed Clark for the probe into Richard Nixon, denouncing it as a political stunt. However, the motion just gained 117 votes, all Republicans. However, no one leadership voted in favor of the measure.

The White House declined to comment. “President Brown doesn’t comment on ongoing Justice Department matters. Attorney General Clark continues to have the full trust of the president and vice president”, a spokesman said.

July 22, 1981: Arms Supply Act passes with large majorities, heads to Brown’s desk

Both bills seeking to overturn President Brown’s arms embargo on Afghanistan and Iraq passed congress: The version for Iraq was approved 331-98 in the House and 76-20 in the senate. As for Afghanistan, the House voted 299-130 and senate 68-28. In either case, this would be enough to overwrite a presidential veto. However, the White House has not released an official policy. Insiders expect President Jerry Brown to veto both bills in the coming days.

Mid-late July 1981: As economic relief bill stuck in senate, economy shows no signs of recovery

Weeks after the House passed a version of President Brown’s economic recovery program, negotiations in the senate are ongoing with no final compromise in sight. Majority Leader Byrd is trying to keep his 52-seat caucus largely together and aims to win over Republican support. Although Minority Leader Mark Hatfield has vowed to cooperate, he is under heavy pressure from conservative members, including his whip John Tower, to force Brown and Byrd to drop the increase of top tax rate to compensate for Middle Class tax cuts. Tower also voiced strong opposition to Brown’s planned minimum wage increase and aims to reduce the size of an infrastructure package. Tower’s efforts have drawn increasing frustration from the White House. Chief of Staff Gray Davis, a leading negotiator for the president, reportedly had a loud confrontation with the Republican whip. “Don’t act like you’re the goddamn most powerful man in Washington!”, Davis is quoted.

Economic data released by the Labor Department in late July puts increasing pressure on lawmakers to finally reach an agreement. According to the data, the economy just grew by 0.9% in Q2 of 1981, while unemployment rose to 8.8%. Furthermore, private consumption has taken a hit after inflation was up to 7.1%.

White House insiders report that Brown and his inner circle grow increasingly concerned over the economic stalemate and fear a decline in poll numbers as the president’s honeymoon was coming to a close after six months in office. July’s monthly Gallup poll already show the president’s approval rating slipped to 51%, the lowest in his presidency so far. The survey also found just 47% approve his handling of the economy, 49% disapprove. However, Brown receives higher marks on foreign policy, where 57% approve his conduct.

July 31, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 51% ▼
Disapprove: 42% ▲
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies