The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107551 times)
hurricanehink
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: January 04, 2022, 03:10:24 PM »

Great description of this chaos playing out - I'd love for the next update to include what the election chaos is doing nationally. Is it affecting the stock market? (election dispute + Iran + economic downturn... yikes!)

How about culturally? The 2000 disputed election was brilliantly covered by Jon Stewart. This timeline's Johnny Carson would be interesting - I imagine he might have some of the key players on to court public opinion (or, this being 1976, maybe TV isn't as influential as a medium?) SNL has been around for a few years at this point (presumably still in this timeline). Dana Carvey eventually played Jerry Brown in 1992, but he was on SNL in 1980, so he could play him, against Harry Shearer who played Ronald Reagan OTL.

And if you don't want to dig into the culture stuff, no worries. I'm engaged in this timeline at this point, it's very well done!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #676 on: January 04, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »

Great description of this chaos playing out - I'd love for the next update to include what the election chaos is doing nationally. Is it affecting the stock market? (election dispute + Iran + economic downturn... yikes!)

How about culturally? The 2000 disputed election was brilliantly covered by Jon Stewart. This timeline's Johnny Carson would be interesting - I imagine he might have some of the key players on to court public opinion (or, this being 1976, maybe TV isn't as influential as a medium?) SNL has been around for a few years at this point (presumably still in this timeline). Dana Carvey eventually played Jerry Brown in 1992, but he was on SNL in 1980, so he could play him, against Harry Shearer who played Ronald Reagan OTL.

And if you don't want to dig into the culture stuff, no worries. I'm engaged in this timeline at this point, it's very well done!

Thanks, I'm definitely taking more of the suggestions up!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #677 on: January 05, 2022, 01:55:24 AM »

A way this election could be crazier than 2000 is if the opposite party from the beneficiary of the case control the legislature.  There were talks in 2000 given different methods leading to different results there being two sets of electoral votes being certified and congress then having to vote which one to throw out

So in this case assuming the Democrats control the legislature and the SCOTUS case going against Brown you could see a scenario where there are two sets of electoral votes from Missouri being certified(one by Bond and one by the Dem legislature) that would force Congress to choose which set of electoral votes they would accept.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #678 on: January 05, 2022, 02:13:37 AM »

This has me on the edge of my seat.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #679 on: January 05, 2022, 07:19:48 PM »

I suspect there might be some major changes regardless who wins. If Brown wins, there could be a push among Republicans for a nationwide popular vote - after all, the 26th amendment (lowering voting age to 18) was only nine years in the past at this point, so the amendment process would be known to this crop of politicians. If Reagan wins, I suspect the Democratic congress might reign in the power of the presidency a bit, while also pushing for voting rights (that had just been protected 15 years earlier in the Voting Rights Act of '65).
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #680 on: January 06, 2022, 12:10:40 PM »

I just have to say that this is very very good. Keep up the good work!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #681 on: January 07, 2022, 02:05:27 PM »

November 18, 1980: Close states finish recounts, confirm results

More than a week after the presidential election, California, Oregon and South Dakota have officially concluded their recounts, which became necessary after very close results in each state. As election authorities reported, the second counting has brought little difference of a few hundred votes in each. Neither of these changes is nearly enough to alter the overall result, just as election experts predicted in the beginning. Therefore, Jerry Brown remains the winner in California and South Dakota, while Ronald Reagan’s victory in Oregon is confirmed. Especially the state of California was at the center of attention: With 45 electoral votes, it’s not only the largest prize, it’s also home to both Brown and Reagan, who heavily contested the Golden State. Brown’s victory is mainly attributed to a strong showing in the populated areas around the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Reagan performed well in most rural areas, but slightly underperformed in Orange County, a traditional Republican bastion. Brown also over performed in the Central Valley and won a record number of the youth vote, exceeding Robert Kennedy’s showing of 1972.

CALIFORNIA
✓ Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D)... 4,217,965 (49.12%)
Ronald Reagan (R)... 4,193,922 (48.84%)

OREGON
✓ Ronald Reagan (R)... 581,188 (49.19%)
Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D)... 579,415 (49.04%)

SOUTH DAKOTA
✓ Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D)... 163,065 (49.76%)
Ronald Reagan (R)... 160,804 (49.07%)

The result without Missouri decided:

Former Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/Senator Howard Baker (R-TN): 268 EV. (49.30%)
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D-CA)/Senator Frank Church (D-ID): 258 EV. (48.93%)
Not called: 12 EV.

November 22, 1980: Satellite images show Iranian military buildup at Iraqi border; Ford Administration concerned

New satellite images published show a severe buildup of Iranian military forces at the border to Iraq. This comes as tensions between the West and Iran heated up since the revolution in 1979. The newest development has alarmed a number of governments in fear of a wider ranging conflict. A White House statement reads that the Ford Administration is carefully monitoring the situation and weighing in on options on the table. According to inner circles of the administration, opinions differ between key foreign policy personnel; with Secretary of State Richard Nixon being the leader of the hardliner front. According to these sources, Nixon is advocating for additional sanctions and a massive military aid to Iraq. Nixon is even quoted to propose US air strikes against Iranian targets. Meanwhile, National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger and Defense Secretary want a diplomatic solution. President Ford in the meantime hasn’t made up his mind on anything specific, raising concern to hand over a fragile situation that may bound Brown or Reagan on his decision. However, insiders report that the president is in frequent contact with both presidential candidates and both have received numerous Intel briefings.

On November 23, Senator Howard Baker (R-TN), who would become vice president under Reagan, co-sponsored a senate resolution to condemn the Iranian buildup, opening the possibility of additional sanctions and direct military aid to Iraq. The resolution also has Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) as co-sponsor. Opponents are led by Minority Leader Mark Hatfield (R-OR) and Senator Lawton Chiles (D-FL), who expressed opposition to arms delivery. Reagan publicly supported Baker’s position and efforts. Jerry Brown hasn’t finally made up his mind, though earlier in November he said a war must be prevented at all cost.

No matter who ultimately wins the presidency, either winner will have to take over a very difficult situation in the Middle East that requires immediate attention.

Late November: Rhetoric heats up as Missouri Supreme Court begins oral hearings

On November 19, the Missouri Supreme Court begun hearings as representatives of Governor Bond’s office and the Brown campaign. Just days in advance, Brown put former California Attorney General Thomas C. Lynch in charge of the lawsuit, making him the top election lawyer of his campaign and presidential transition team. Before the court building, hundreds of demonstrators protested for or against Governor Bond.

Meanwhile, a group of ten Republican congressmen begun working on a constitutional amendment to abolish the Electoral College. Among them freshman Newt Gingrich (R-GA), saying that Ronald Reagan should be the “rightful president”, as he won a plurality of the popular vote. Democratic lawmakers rejected the move; Senator Mario Cuomo (D-NY) pointed out two Democrats, Samuel Tilden in 1876 and Grover Cleveland in 1888, lost the presidency despite winning more votes than their Republican opponents. His designated colleague, Senator-elect Elizabeth Holzman (D-NY) directly attacked Reagan, saying the Electoral College was designed “to keep dangerous men like Mr. Reagan away from the presidency”.

Brown Transition Chair Gray Davis indirectly accuses Kit Bond of “election manipulation” on Dick Cavett show

What was supposed to be a routine interview at the Dick Cavett Show, Brown’s designated chief of staff and aide Gray Davis, triggered a major controversy, directly attacking Republican governor Kit Bond of Missouri.

Dick Cavett: Mr. Davis, we have just talked about your role in the campaign and now you felt on election night. Now, perhaps we would already be talking about President-elect Brown. So…

Gray Davis: We could, Dick, we could. If not for a governor about the leave office anyway. Okay?

Dick Cavett: Don’t you think the governor is at least raising valid issues that may or may not be upheld by the state’s Supreme Court?

Gray Davis: You wanna have a serious answer?

Dick Cavett: Oh please, yes. Sure.

Gray Davis: Alright, listen, here’s a guy about to leave office and to be succeeded by a Democrat. We’re used to the fact during a lame duck period, you’re not supposed to do this kind of stuff. He’s trying to throw out ballots that were perfectly fine. You really think he’d be doing this if the presidency was already decided? Come on!

Dick Cavett: Don’t you think a governor has to exercise his duty to the last day in office? He’s the governor up until January.

Gray Davis: I worked for Jerry Brown as governor. As his chief of staff. So I know about state government. Of course you’re supposed to fulfill your duties. What I’m saying is that Mr. Bond wants to leave office with the accomplishment of keeping a Republican in the White House. He wants these 4,000 votes thrown out.

Dick Cavett: So you accuse him of election manipulation? That’s what you meant with “this kind of stuff”?

Gray Davis: Look, you can call it whatever you want: I know that the Supreme Court will side with us. It’s that simple. There is no basis for what Governor Bond is doing. It’s his right to do this, but it won’t succeed.

Dick Cavett: Pretty stark terms?

Gray Davis: The situation is unfortunate, but we have to confess that it didn’t have to be this way. So be it now. We have to see.

Davis’ remarks received staunch criticism from the press and Republicans of rank and file. Senate Minority Leader Mark Hatfield called upon Davis to apologize to Bond, even if he disagrees with the governor’s latest actions. Bond’s office meanwhile declined to comment. Nonetheless, even some lower ranking Democratic officials distanced themselves from Davis, and a member of Frank Church’s staff described the interview as “unnecessary”. Shortly after the interview, Democratic activists picked up his saying “this kind of stuff”, de facto meaning election manipulation. A group of about 200 protesters went before the Missouri Capitol, holding signs with “Gov. Bond: Stop this kind of stuff!”

New York Times: Reagan’s team divided over potential US Supreme Court lawsuit

On November 29, the New York Times reported on divisions within Reagan’s staff about how to proceed should the Missouri Supreme Court confirm the validity of the 4,000 provisional ballots in question. Some in his team already begun preparations for a federal lawsuit, the Times says. Others, especially around Howard Baker, dismissed the idea outright and expressed doubt whether the nation’s highest court would even pick such a case. According to sources, Reagan himself and his wife Nancy are undecided about the question. On one hand, he realizes that this may have been his last chance to be president, on the other hand, Reagan voiced concern over dividing the country up in private. One person with direct access to the candidate said his mood was going back and forth every day, sometimes within hours.

November 30, 1980: New Gallup poll

President Ford job approval

Approve: 62% ▲
Disapprove: 31% ▼
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #682 on: January 07, 2022, 02:16:09 PM »

hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #683 on: January 07, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »

Love the update!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #684 on: January 10, 2022, 02:33:26 PM »

December 4, 1980

BREAKING: MISSOURI SUPREME COURT sides with BROWN CAMPAIGN, BOND to certify election result – BROWN WINS PRESIDENCY by 210 votes

Bombshell out of Missouri: In a 6-1 decision, the Supreme Court of the state sides with the Brown campaign and Democratic officials that all provisional ballots cast in St. Louis must be counted. The 4,000 ballots in question give Brown a final 210 vote margin in the nation’s closest election result. In its written ruling, the court argues that circumstances leading to late voting beyond the poll closing deadline were valid. “Not permitting the votes in question for this reason would be an unlawful infringement of voting rights. Therefore, an exclusion of named ballots is unconstitutional”, the statement reads.

Governor Kit Bond’s office immediately released a statement that the governor would no longer seek legal options and was prepared the certify the election results. In doing so, Missouri’s twelve electoral votes go into the Brown/Church column. Consequently, the Democratic ticket reached 270 electoral votes, exactly the number needed to win. Unless a faithless elector throws the election in disarray, Edmund Gerald Brown Jr., 42 year old governor of California, is about to become the 39th President of the United States, taking office on January 20, 1981. After eight years of Republican rule, the White House will be back in Democratic hands.

BREAKING: REAGAN not to challenge ruling, concedes presidency

There was one final option the Reagan camp had: File a lawsuit at the US Supreme Court, testing whether the court would even pick up such a case. Nonetheless, the campaign quickly came out with a statement that no such move was planned, although some within Reagan’s team urged him to do so.

As announced, Ronald Reagan addressed the nation in the lobby of a Los Angeles Hotel on 4 p.m. local time to deliver his concession speech.

Ronald Reagan: Thank you, my friends. Thank you all very much. My fellow Americans: About 30 minutes ago, I called Jerry Brown and offered him my concession. I congratulated him on a hard fought victory and wished him the best of luck. I told him that he and his entire team are in my prayers and the prayers of Nancy. That we wish him to be a successful president in the coming years. Because only when he – as our new president – is successful, the country we so dearly love is successful. President-elect Brown thanked me and pledged his unbending commitment to be a president for all Americans, including the many millions of Americans who put their trust in me. Let me say again how thankful I am for all their support. It truly means a lot to me and Nancy. Now, let me also address something else: I know that all of you supporting me are incredibly disappointed in this result. And we wished a different outcome for sure. Some have argued to continue the legal options. Let me say, that I fully accept the Missouri Supreme Court’s decision even if I personally disagree. Nonetheless, after careful evaluation, I have come the conclusion that any continuation of legal options would stoke doubt and mistrust in our system and divide our nation in an unnecessary way. Therefore, I believe it is the best interest of America to concede the election. Because in the end, the nation’s interest is always superior to those of a single candidate, a campaign and partisan politics.

And although we fell short in the end, our campaign inspired so many millions of people in this country and ultimately won a plurality of the popular vote. Something, that was never thought possible. Nonetheless, this is not a time to look backwards. It is now the time to come together as one nation and do our best to build a future bright for our kids and grandkids. So that America can be that shining city upon a hill.

Thank you all again very much. God bless you and god bless America.

President-elect Jerry Brown addresses nation after proclaimed victory

In Sacramento, before a few thousand selected guests, the newly elected president, joined by his partner Linda Rohnstadt, and Frank Church, the incoming vice president, appeared in public for the first time. Less than an hour after Ronald Reagan had delivered his remarks.

Brown was introduced by Church.

Vice President-elect Church: My friends, distinguished guests, fellow countrymen: We did it! A little late, but we did it! Words cannot describe how incredibly honored I am tonight. Thank you all very much. And now, I don’t want to bother you very long, I’m turning the podium over to the next president of the United States: Jerry Brown!

President-elect Brown: My fellow Americans: I am deeply honored. I am deeply honored to begin serving as your president coming January 20. Just like I’m honored to have my friend Frank Church my side, who will become our new vice president. Thank you for everything, Frank, I always had your back and I know you will be a great vice president. Let me begin my thanking Governor Ronald Reagan for the gracious remarks he just gave. Governor Reagan called me earlier today and offered his concession after a long and hard fought campaign. I thanked him for his words, which I full well know were not easy for him to express. Although we have vastly different visions and political convictions, my personal respect for Governor Reagan has never been diminished. He is a man of honor who loves his country and on behalf of my entire team I want to use this opportunity to once again thank him for his service and commitment. I think that Governor Reagan’s decision to concede the election helps reunite our nation will always be remembered in the best possible way. So thank you again, governor, you have earned your place in history.

My fellow Americans, America is at the beginning of a new decade. A decade that can be one of progress, peace and lasting prosperity. I ask you to join me and Vice President-elect Church to work together for making this possible. My faith has never been greater that we can archive these noble goals, if you just come together as a nation. I am extending my hand of friendship to all of you, my fellow countrymen, including all those who did not vote for me. Be assured that I will do everything I can to earn your trust and confidence. To the world I’m saying: Never bet against America. We stand with our allies and friends. We seek peace and freedom for all people. But we stand against tyranny and barbarism wherever it occurs. We are a nation of faith and firm principal that everyone matters. These values will be the guidance for my incoming administration. There will be times we fall short of these ideals, I don’t live under any illusions here. But we will never, ever stop trying. Every single day. I give you my word.

Finally, let me also thank President Gerald Ford for his call just before I stepped upon this podium. I accepted the president’s invitation for a first transition meeting on Monday. I look forward to working with the president and his entire administration and staff to make sure a smooth transition of power can occur.

Thank you all very much and may god bless the United States of America.

Election data

Infobox & map:

✓ Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D-CA)/Senator Frank Church (D-ID): 270 EV. (48.93%)
Former Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/Senator Howard Baker (R-TN): 268 EV. (49.30%)

Flips from 1976:

Election results by state:

Next: Transition meetings, first cabinet appointments and journalistic analysis of the election results and Reagan’s defeat.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #685 on: January 10, 2022, 02:41:58 PM »

SD also seems like the NH of this TL meaning if Reagan won SD then he’d have won even if he lost MO
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: January 10, 2022, 02:52:13 PM »

SD also seems like the NH of this TL meaning if Reagan won SD then he’d have won even if he lost MO

Unlike the very obvious Missouri-Florida parallel, I actually didn't think about that. But pretty much true.

California could also somewhat resemble Tennessee in 2000, although the former wasn't already becoming a blue state nationally until the 1990s. So it would remain a battleground here for at least two more cycles while Tennessee was pretty much gone for Democratic presidential candidates after 2000.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2022, 04:02:52 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »

I wonder if Brown is going to have a Republican in a prominent cabinet position as sort of a way to unite the country after a loss in the popular vote and contentious recount.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #689 on: January 11, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »

Fantastic update! Looking forward to the Brown presidency, especially what he's doing in foreign policy. I'm also curious what happens to Frank Church, as he technically didn't survive the term he hast been elected to (dying in April of 1984).

Election results kind of resemble actual 2000: MO is FL, SD is NH and OR is NM. The changes map looks pretty insane with every D state being a flip, lol.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #690 on: January 13, 2022, 03:02:12 PM »

I wonder if Linda Ronstadt could get married to Jerry during his presidency. Would she even be considered the First Lady even if she’s not married to him?

Either way, definitely odd to see a famous musician of that time being FLOTUS, let alone living in the White House.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #691 on: January 13, 2022, 09:42:35 PM »

Fantastic update! Looking forward to the Brown presidency, especially what he's doing in foreign policy. I'm also curious what happens to Frank Church, as he technically didn't survive the term he hast been elected to (dying in April of 1984).

Election results kind of resemble actual 2000: MO is FL, SD is NH and OR is NM. The changes map looks pretty insane with every D state being a flip, lol.

Actually Oregon is Oregon Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #692 on: January 14, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2022, 02:36:13 PM by President Johnson »

December 8, 1980: President Ford hosts President-elect Brown for transition meeting

Monday, December 8, was finally the day Jerry Brown entered the White House as president-elect for a formal meeting with President Gerald Ford. The two had already been in regular contact since the election, as Ford prepared to transfer the presidency to either Brown or Reagan. With the election finally decided, Brown received an invitation to 1600 Penn for the next Monday. He was hosted at the Oval Office, while Vice President-elect Frank Church met with Vice President William Scranton. And – as extensively covered by the press – Betty Ford hosted Brown’s girlfriend Linda Ronstadt for a conversation at the East Wing. Just on Sunday evening, Brown himself confirmed Ronstadt would take the role as First Lady after he carefully avoided the question during the campaign. Outside the White House, about 500 demonstrators assembled to protest Brown’s election and demanding a new effort stop certification of Missouri election results. Some were holding signs with “Reagan won the most votes!” or “America elected Ronald Reagan.”

Although the meeting was scheduled for an hour, it lasted for 95 minutes. Only then reporters were granted access to the Oval Office with Ford and Brown delivering some remarks and taking a few questions.

President Ford: Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, today I had the honor to host President-elect Brown to the White House. Today, we had the chance to personally meet and discussed a wide range of issues affecting our nation, the business of government and a host of other issues. It was a very polite and productive discussions. The president-elect asked me several questions to make sure a smooth transition of power occurs. I have pledged my full cooperation after already instructing my team and all federal agencies to reach out to his team. I think after this tumultuous election it is vitally important we sit here together and assure the American people and the world that the transition from one administration to another occurs in an organized and professional fashion. Let me again thank you, Mr. President-elect, for your commitment to ensure such a smooth process. Sir, the word is yours.

President-elect Brown: Thank you very much, Mr. President. Let me again thank you for your cooperation and commitment to make sure our country is well. I think all Americans can be proud that you, President Ford, guided us through a difficult 18 months following the passing of President Rockefeller, international crisis and a contested election with a steady hand. Americans will remember that. Now, as the president said, we talked about several issue affecting our nation that require prompt action by the current and incoming administration. I can already tell you that my team will be granted resources of federal agencies to work out an economic emergency program that I will submit to congress soon after taking office. Our economic situation requires swift action and I’m ready to take whatever steps necessary. Additionally, the president informed me about the situation at the Iran-Iraq border. I’m very concerned about these reports and will soon outline my policies to maintain the peace. In the meantime, President Ford and his administration will be in steady contact with me and my top staff. America speaks with one voice here. However, let me add that there’s always one president at a time, and therefore I will not comment on President Ford’s decisions while he is the commander-in-chief. Thank you again, Mr. President, also in the name of Linda, who is having a meeting with Mrs. Ford and Vice President-elect Church, meeting with Vice President Scranton.

President Ford: Thank you very much again. Alright, we have a few minutes for questions. Madam over there. Go ahead.

Reporter I: Mr. President, Republican members of congress already plan to introduce a constitutional amendment to elect the president through the popular vote. What’s your opinion on this? And President-elect Brown, would you be willing to support this?

President Ford: I have not seen as such specific proposals at this moment. It is an issue that might be up for debate at a later time. Today my focus is on making sure the transition of power occurs without further interruption so that President-elect Brown and his team are ready on Day One. Because when they are, it is in the best interest of America.

President-elect Brown: I have nothing to add.

Reporter I: But Mr. President, don’t you have an opinion…

President Ford: I stated by current position. The presidential election we just had was conducted in accordance with the laws and the constitution. Next question.

Reporter II: Mr. President-elect, have you talked to your father about his seat the Supreme Court? When is he going to retire and who will select his replacement?

President-elect Brown: My father, Associate Justice Edmund G. Brown Sr., will soon announce his plans. Please understand that I will not reveal private conversations with him. I can assure you and the public that we’re very much committed to make sure no conflict of interest will arise.

Reporter II: And – if I might – will you marry Ms. Ronstadt? In White House?

Laughter goes through the Oval Office

President-elect Brown (laughs): I expected this question at a point. But not already today.

President Ford: It’s never too early. You will learn that the hard way pretty soon here.

President-elect Brown: I will answer that question at some point. Don’t worry. I will let you know first.

Reporter II: Alright, I take your word, Sir.

Reporter III: Mr. President-elect, on a more serious note, you said that you will name cabinet appointments very soon. Don’t you think that you should name your foreign policy team very soon with the situation at the Iran-Iraq border? We also know that the Russians want to talk to incoming officials as soon as possible. And President Ford, what is your advice to your successor in dealing with the Soviets? Especially to make sure they don’t underestimate him, given his limited foreign policy experience and the apparent preference for President-elect Brown in this election campaign over Ronald Reagan, who was seen as the more hawkish candidate?

President-elect Brown: I will reveal the first round of names to my cabinet later this week. I can’t already tell you which positions will be named. However, all cabinet-level positions will be named by January 10 at latest so that the senate can quickly move ahead with hearings and confirmation votes.

President Ford: Please understand I’m not publically giving council to the president-elect. We privately talked about our relations to Moscow as well and I have no doubt the president-elect and his team will form their own opinions that they think is in America’s best interest. My doors for advice and council are always open. Both for the transition period and beyond. Unfortunately, we’re going to be the only living American presidents for the next four years. At least. Alright, one more question and we finish.

Reporter IV: Mr. President-elect, how do you want to make sure all Americans feel you’re the president for all? Do you regard as liability for your presidency that you did not win the popular vote? And a second question: When will you formally resign as governor of California?

President-elect Brown: Look, I can tell you that I will do everything I can to make sure all Americans succeed. Economically, socially and personally. With all tools the federal government has available. When my administration is successful in delivering these results, you will see Americans feeling that way. As for the popular vote, we had other presidents coming into office without winning the most votes. It happens in rare cases, and the last time is almost a century ago. But it happens. That’s how our system was designed by the founding fathers. Whether we want to chance that is question that can be discussed, but not one I’m concerned at this particular moment. My attention is fully on how to make sure my team is prepared to govern this country from January 20. As for the governorship, I will soon let you know.

President Ford: Alright, thank you all for your time. Have a good day.

December 13, 1980: Brown reveals first cabinet appointments: Davis becomes CoS, Anderson to stay on, Clark returns as Attorney General

On December 13, the first cabinet appointments by President-elect were made public in Washington DC. While Brown was back in California for transition business in the state government, Vice President-elect Frank Church was left with introducing the first three names selected by Brown. Church emphasized that he advised the incoming president with the picks. The Brown Team also reached out to New York Governor Robert Kennedy, who served as vice president in the last Democratic Administration of President Lyndon Johnson. Kennedy reportedly made a number of suggestions to Brown.

At first, Church already confirmed what was knows all along: Brown aide Joseph Graham “Gray” Davis would become White House Chief of Staff. Davis already was Brown’s chief of staff in California from 1975 to 1980, before he stepped down to take a full-time role in the campaign as its de facto chairman. While not experienced in Washington, the 38 year old Davis has the reputation of a tireless worker and is known for his loyalty to Brown. Over the campaign, Davis already built relationships with Democratic lawmakers for a potential White House takeover.

The highest ranking cabinet official announced was the Attorney General: Accordingly, Brown has picked Ramsey Clark to lead the Justice Department. Clark was already Attorney General of the United States from 1967 to 1973 during the Johnson Administration and returned to practice law after his tenure ended. Sources from the transition team report that Bobby Kennedy recommended his name to the president-elect, who agreed to the nomination after a conversation with Clark. Clark thanked Brown and Church for the appointment and outlined his priorities: Protecting civil rights accomplishments and government accountability.

The third name already announced was a familiar name: John B. Anderson, former Republican congressman, would retain his job as Secretary of Energy. Anderson, a liberal Republican, was originally appointed by Nelson Rockefeller and retained by Gerald Ford. He’s now about the serve under a third president, this time a Democrat.

Most speculation receives the upcoming nomination for Secretary of State. Among the names floated are Cyrus Vance, Sargent Shriver, Patrick Moynihan and Edmund Muskie.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »

What’s next for Reagan and the Conservative movement?

Since the moment the 1980 presidential election was called after weeks of drama and legal fights, political journalists, officials on Capitol Hill and around the country discussed the future of the conservative movement. Ronald Reagan, their standard bearer, took the mantle from outgoing Senator Barry Goldwater whose crushing defeat in the 1964 election seemed the final nail in its coffin. With his charisma and a governing record in California, Reagan was welcomed as the savior of the moment who would bring back a conservative governing philosophy to country that on some day would have enough of Lyndon Johnson’s liberalism that found a successor in the Republican Party with his successor, Nelson Rockefeller. Reagan twice seriously contested the White House, and twice he failed by just an inch. The first loss came in summer 1972, when Rockefeller narrowly beat him at a contested nominating convention after a brutal primary fight. Reagan returned to California, served out his term. But he never went silent, always planning a final attempt in 1980 after Rockefeller would no longer stand for reelection. Then tragedy hit, in May 1979, and Reagan still decided to run. Against President Gerald Ford this time. While Ford was widely respected as experienced chief executive who would guide the nation through a tumultuous period of time, many in the Republican Party felt it was time to fully embrace conservatism as a counterpart to the liberal Democratic Party Lyndon Johnson and Bobby Kennedy left. Subsequently, Ford decided to leave the nomination to Reagan and avoid an ongoing primary fight that may end up destroying the party. Ford full well understood 1980 wasn’t 1972 as his party was trying to win a third consecutive term in the White House. Reagan against just fell short. By 210 votes in Missouri.

And while Ford was certainly right in concluding that ideological winds within the Republican Party have shifted after the 1976 election (in part a reaction to Rockefeller’s move to the left after winning a second term, like his demand for universal healthcare), observers note there was still about half of the party seeing themselves as moderates or moderate conservatives. In the weeks following the election and Reagan’s concession, Republicans largely avoided the big blame game, but there’s a growing number of political insiders expecting nothing short of a civil war in the years to come. Conservatives will try to keep the party under their control. Meanwhile, moderates will point out how their candidates won presidential elections after WWII – Eisenhower and Rockefeller. A major factor, observers point out, will be the performance of Jerry Brown as president. Will Brown solve the ongoing economic crisis and calm international turmoil? If so, he would face an easy reelection against any potential challenger. However, if Americans feel Brown is not getting the economy back on track or that his inexperience in foreign policy leaves them at a weaker spot, Republicans might face another epic battle over their ideological future: A vulnerable Brown presidency would certainly attract high-profile leaders to run and shape the party in their direction. Moderates can claim a track record of winning elections since the New Deal era, compared to Reagan's almost win in 1980.

Meanwhile, Ronald Reagan hasn’t addressed his future. Personal confidants of him think he’s unlikely to seek office ever again. However, knowing him, he won’t just fade into irrelevance, they say. His endorsement in an expected wide 1984 primary field will certainly bear a ton of weight.

December 19, 1980: Brown reveals next round of cabinet picks, former rival to lead Treasury Department

President-elect Jerry Brown presented a new round of nominations for his incoming administration. Together with Vice President-elect Frank Church he introduced the nominees to the public.

The biggest name was announced for the Treasury Department: Former Florida governor Reubin Askew is Brown’s pick for the post. Askew came in third in the 1980 Democratic primaries and subsequently endorsed Brown following a bitter contest with Lloyd Bentsen. Brown reportedly offered Askew a host of positions and the former governor selected the Treasury Department.

Nonetheless, a big surprise was Brown’s nomination for Labor Secretary: Labor leader Cesar Chavez from California was introduced as Brown’s pick. Chavez has been a longtime ally of the president-elect and worked for the Brown campaign, mobilizing support from the labor movement and among Hispanic voters. Chavez’ efforts were seen as major factor in Brown’s crucial victory in California. “I believe Cesar Chavez can bring in a unique perspective on matters concerning labor and how we protect our workers”, Brown said. Some political observers expect Chavez’ nomination to be subject to a confirmation battle in the senate. A group of Republican senators already expressed opposition. Previously Chavez was expected to play some role in the administration, though he wasn’t seen as a contender for a cabinet position.

The third nomination announced was for Interior: US Representative Pat Schroeder of Colorado became the first woman nominated to Brown’s incoming cabinet. The outspoken liberal was hardly on anyone’s list, but endorsed Brown’s presidential campaign before the primaries begun.

The last name presented on this day was another Republican: Former EPA Administrator William Ruckelshaus is Brown’s choice for Secretary of Transportation. After John B. Anderson, he’s the second Republican nominated for a position in the Brown Administration.

At the end of the event, President-elect Brown announced that his foreign policy team, consisting Secretaries of State and Defense as well as National Security Advisor and UN Ambassador, would be introduced on January 4.

December 22, 1980: Brown resigns as Governor of California, Republican Mike Curb to assume office

California has a new governor: Republican Mike Curb was officially sworn in as the Golden State’s chief executive, succeeding from the office of lieutenant governor after President-elect Jerry Brown submitted his formal resignation. As governors and their deputies get elected on separate tickets in California, partisan affiliation can differ. This now allows Republicans to reclaim the governor’s chair, without winning the previous gubernatorial election. Democratic state lawmakers already introduced proposals to switch to a joint ticket election mode, similar to other states or president/vice president.

Curb was expected to move the state in a different direction, putting himself in the tradition of former governor Ronald Reagan. However, he will have to work with a Democratic-controlled State legislature. Curb is expected to serve out the remaining two years of Brown’s term, with the option of running for a full term in his own right in 1982. Curb has not announced his plans, but is expected to run.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #694 on: January 19, 2022, 02:12:19 PM »

Question does Thatcher still become PM in the UK or is the entire neoliberal consensus that took hold not come to place in general  .

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: January 19, 2022, 02:17:15 PM »

Question does Thatcher still become PM in the UK or is the entire neoliberal consensus that took hold not come to place in general 

Yes; just remember that initial beginning of the TL is Johnson running and winning in 1968 and having a successful second full term. I don't see how that would have triggered events changing much of what happened in the United Kingdom. Maybe if Prime Minister James Callaghan called for a snap election earlier, though Thatcher still might have won later on.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #696 on: January 24, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 01:47:53 PM by President Johnson »

December 30, 1980: Pat Brown resigns from Supreme Court, Ford not to nominate successor

It was now made official through a press release from the Supreme Court: Associate Justice Edmund G. “Pat” Brown Sr, former Democratic governor of California, will leave his post on the bench by New Year’s Eve. Brown had been on the court for eleven years and belonged to the liberal faction. He was appointed by then-President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1969, months after Johnson begun his second full term in the White House. In the statement, Brown thanked for the opportunity to serve and both cited age reasons and avoiding any conflicts of interests as his son Jerry is about to become president.

Brown’s departure leaves a vacancy in the final weeks of Gerald Ford’s short presidency. The White House immediately issued a statement that Brown previously informed Ford about his decision. Ford subsequently spoke with his successor and it was agreed that the outgoing president would not send a nomination to the senate. This leaves President-elect Brown with filling a vacancy immediately after his swearing-in on January 20. Brown reportedly consulted Ford for advice, though.

December 31, 1980: New Gallup poll

The final monthly Gallup poll finds President Gerald Ford closing his presidency with a remarkable 64% approval rating although the economy is still struggling and after he dropped out for the Republican nomination.

President Ford job approval

Approve: 64% ▲
Disapprove: 30% ▼

January 3, 1981: 97th Congress convenes

On the third of January, 1981, the newly elected 97th congress opened. Both chambers are controlled by the Democratic Party. That means the US conttinues to have a divided government until January 20, before a Democratic trifecta will be in place.

Congressional Leadership:
Senate President: William Scranton (R-PA), until January 20; Frank Church (D-ID), starting January 20
Senate Majority Leader: Robert Byrd (D-WV)
Senate Majority Whip: Albert Brewer (D-AL)
Senate Minority Leader: Mark Hatfield (R-OR)
Senate Minority Whip: John Tower (R-TX)

Speaker of the House: Tip O'Neill (D-MA)
House Majority Leader: Jim Wright (D-TX)
House Minority Leader: Robert H. Michel (R-IL)
House Minority Whip: Jack French Kemp (R-NY)

Congressional leadership changed has follows: Albert Brewer (D-AL) replaced Alan Cranston (D-CA) as Democratic whip in the senate. Cranston didn't seek the post again and proposed Brewer as his successor. Both won reelection to their seats in 1980. House Republicans meanwhile elevated Robert Michel as leader, Jack Kemp becam whip.

January 4, 1981: President-elect Brown introduces Foreign & Defense policy appointments

In the lobby of a Washington DC Hotel, where Brown’s transition team rented office space, President-elect Jerry Brown introduced his long awaited choices for foreign and defense policy in his incoming administration.

The most important cabinet position, that of Secretary of State, was announced first: Brown’s choice is Sargent Shriver, an experienced diplomat who had been in various ambassadorships, mostly known for being US Ambassador to France during the Johnson Administration. According to various sources, Vice President-elect Frank Church strongly pushed for the nomination and Brown ultimately agreed after a personal meeting with Shriver. Upon his introduction, Shriver stressed the need for diplomatic solutions to ongoing conflicts in the world and outlined a peace conference for the Middle East as his immediate priority. Shriver recently expressed skepticism of American weapons deliveries to various militias in Afghanistan against the Soviets. Shriver is expected to be a lower profile Secretary of State than Richard Nixon, who held the post since 1973.

Jerry Brown’s pick for Secretary of Defense is Maine Senator and 1976 Democratic presidential nominee Edmund Muskie. A longtime political figure, Muskie is expected to bring a wide range of knowledge and connections to the Hill to the table. Muskie said that he would focus on lowering costs for the military without reduction of military capabilities. Furthermore, Muskie plans to strengthen programs allowing servicepersonell to return to civil life. He will have to resign his senate seat to take the role as Defense Secretary, though the governor of Maine is a Democrat, meaning the party does not lose a seat for their narrow 52-48 majority.

Ever since William Scranton served as UN Ambassador during the Rockefeller years, the role has gained stature as a key player in American foreign policy. Brown’s choice for the job was considered a surprise: Congresswoman Lindy Boggs of Louisiana. Although she was worked on various foreign policy issues, her name is largely unknown to the national and international public. She’s the second woman nominated by Brown for his cabinet.

Lastly, President-elect Brown announced that Cyrus Vance would be his National Security Advisor, succeeding Henry Kissinger. Vance had various roles in foreign and defense policy under President Lyndon Johnson and served as informal advisor the Presidents Rockefeller and Ford. Vance is known as one of the most experienced foreign policy experts available for government service.

Brown and Church will present the final cabinet picks on January 9.

January 6, 1981: Brown's Electoral College victory confirmed, one faithless Republican elector

As required under the Electoral Count Act, congress met to count and certify the Electoral College votes. Due to the closeness of the electoral votes, the event was more in public spotlight as usual. Vice President William Scranton presided over the ceremony and formally announced the results. Indeed there was a faithless elector, but on the Republican side: One elector from Oregon voted for Howard Baker for president and Texas senator John Tower for vice president. However, there was no defection on the Democratic side, securing Brown’s victory. Consequently, Brown defeated Reagan with a final tally of 270 – 267.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #697 on: January 24, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 09:26:36 PM by hurricanehink »

Great update! I wonder with there being two females in the administration, that the "Year of the Women" (in 1992) might move up a decade, especially since OTL, Reagan nominated O'Connor as the first female SCOTUS.

With Pat Brown's resignation, there's an opening on SCOTUS for the first female justice. In our timeline, we had several women on the court by 1980 (most appointed by Carter).
Here are women in the federal judiciary OTL:
Ruth Bader Ginsberg - DC Court of Appeals (since 1980), age 47
Cornelia Kennedy - 6th District Court (since 1979), age 57
Amalya Kearse - 3rd District Court (since 1979), age 43
Carolyn King - 5th District Court (since 1979), age 42
Phyllis Kravitch - 5th District Court (since 1979), age 60
Stephanie Seymour - 10th District Court (since 1979), age 40
Mary Schroeder - 9th District Court (since 1979), age 40
Dolores Sloviter - 3rd District Court (since 1979), age 48
Patricia Wald - DC Court of Appeals (since 1979), age 52
Shirley Hufstedler - 9th District Court (since 1969), age 55

Some other possibilities:
Catherine Kelly - Associate Justice for DC Court of Appeals (since 1967), age 63
Mary Coleman - Michigan State Supreme Court Justice (since 1979, on court since 1973), age 66
Rose Bird - Chief Justice for California (since 1977, appointed by Jerry Brown), age 44

I think Hufstedler would be the smart choice politically, although Rose Bird would interesting as well, since she was nominated by Brown (so he knows her), and she would be on the court for some time.

Also one more thing: Potter Stewart retired in May 1981 in our timeline, so Brown might get another judge. I'm excited for the Brown administration, great work as always President Johnson!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #698 on: January 27, 2022, 03:02:47 PM »

January 9, 1981: Final cabinet posts announced; First Black woman for HHS, Carter takes Agriculture

Eleven days before his inauguration, President-elect Jerry Brown has announced the final cabinet appointments for his incoming administration.

For Secretary of Commerce, Brown introduced another woman to his cabinet: Economist Juanita M. Kreps would take over the role in the Brown Administration. She’s the third woman being elevated to a cabinet-level post and hasn’t served in public office before. In his remarks, the president-elect emphasized the need for various viewpoints at the table, including from leaders outside politics.

(no picture available)

A second name from the Ford Administration would retain his position: HUD Secretary Ivan Allen Jr. was asked to stay on and agreed continue his service. Allen was Mayor of Atlanta from 1962 to 1970 and was tasked by President Nelson Rockefeller to lead the Department of Housing And Urban Development in 1973. Although being a liberal Democrat, he stayed in that position throughout Rockefeller’s presidency and was retained by Gerald Ford. In his role, Allen oversaw major investments in public housing by the Rockefeller Administration. Brown has vowed to continue these policies and cited Allen’s wide experience to continue the work. After John B. Anderson at Energy, he’s the second holdover.

President-elect Jerry Brown surprised with another woman selected for a cabinet position: Former Representative Yvonne Brathwaite Burke of California would be Secretary of Health and Human Services and subsequently become the first African American female serving in a presidential cabinet, 16 years after President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed the first African American, Robert Weaver, to such a senior position. Burke personally knew Brown and his father for some time and advised his campaign in 1980. Burke has outlined broader access to healthcare insurance as a main priority and strengthening the Child’s Care program enacted during the Johnson Administration.

A nationally known name was introduced for Secretary of Agriculture: Former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter would receive this appointment. Carter rose the national prominence in 1972 when Robert F. Kennedy selected him as his running mate, narrowly losing to the Rockefeller/Ford ticket. Carter unsuccessfully sought the Democratic nomination in 1976 and remained a Democratic organizer afterwards. After years in the wilderness, the peanut farmer would return to government service.

January 16, 1981: President Gerald Ford’s Farewell Address

Gerald Ford chose a simple Oval Office address for his farewell address to the nation.

President Gerald Ford: My fellow Americans: Twenty months ago, I first spoke to you as newly inaugurated president. Tragic circumstances have put me in this position, following the tragic loss of President Nelson A. Rockefeller, whose loss we still mourn and who, together with his dear family, is still in our hearts and our prayers. At that time, I humbly served in the role of vice president as a governing partner to man who brought unprecedented progress to America and the world. For more than six years, I was a proud deputy to a president who has earned the overwhelming trust and confidence of the world and – more importantly – the American people. And although we have archived a lot between 1973 and 1979, I took this awesome responsivity in a time or international upheaval and turmoil as well as economic uncertainty. It was a critical time for America and world. Although many of these challenges remain on our agenda as a nation, I believe that together we have put America on a solid path for a new decade of prosperity, peace and freedom.

While the Rockefeller-Ford years brought unprecedented economic growth, expanded civil rights for everybody and more allies and friends around the world, the task is far from completed. Circumstances have shown the limits of growth, external factors beyond our borders and increased demands for energy have caused rising prices and economic peril. Trouble spots across the globe continue to demand America’s attention, meaningful arms control treaties and more just distribution of resources remain among the biggest challenges we face as a nation and as citizens of the world. At home, our economic recovery can’t merely be a product of statistics of numbers. It must bear fruits for all Americans. And the government can and must provide a framework to ensure this. However, it can and must not intervene in all aspects of personal lives and economic activity through bureaucratic programs. America must resist the growing trend toward big government bureaucracy and return to basic American virtues.

In four days, I will turn over this office to a new president. A president, who belongs to a new generation and will bring a totally different political and personal style to the White House and the presidency. I encourage all Americans to be open minded about this. In fact, it was one advice I gave President-elect Brown: Be yourself, be authentic. History and precedent can be a guidance, but is ultimately more American than anything else to reach for the new. Just do not give up all traditions and norms lightly. Some have indeed prevailed over the existence of this nation and, I believe, should endure through generations. In the end, I urge you to join in praying for the success of President-elect Brown and his administration. Only then, America as a whole can succeed.

Serving the American people as congressman, vice president and then president was one of the greatest honors in my life. Thank you all very much, good night and god bless all of you. And may god bless the United States of America.

President Ford has not announced detailed plans for his retirement plans. He will head back to his native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, though the Fords also bought a home in Santa Barbara, California. Some Ford confidants told the press that he and his wife Betty plan to permanently move to California later this year. Upon leaving office, Gerald Ford will be the only living former president.

January 19, 1981: President Ford approves continuation of sanctions against Turkey for Cyprus conflict, tightens Iran sanctions and gives green light to additional weapons to Afghanistan

One day before his presidency was coming to an end, President Gerald Ford signed a final round for presidential memorandums concerning US foreign policy. The first and most significant decree was the continuation of sanctions against Turkey, usually a NATO ally. Under the memorandum, a number of individuals in the Turkish military remain on a blacklist and military aid for Turkey remains frozen. After the de facto occupation of Northern Cyprus in 1974, US-Turkey relations deteriorated after strong protest from the Rockefeller Administration. President Rockefeller subsequently sanctioned individuals related to the move and froze certain US military aid. Since, each six months the decree was renewed. The last renewal was about to expire on January 20 and a final effort by Secretary of State Richard Nixon didn’t bear fruits. Subsequently, Ford to had to decide whether to continue sanctions or let them go out of effect. During the 1980 campaign, both Brown and Reagan proposed a new diplomatic effort, but also pledged to continue sanction policy in case Turkey would continue to occupy Northern Cyprus. It’s not yet clear what Brown will finally do, though he’ll have to decide whether to continue in six months. Although he could theoretically rescind Ford’s memorandum, such a move is not expected and incoming Secretary of State Sargent Shriver expressed support for Ford’s policies.

Amidst ongoing tensions with Iran, President Ford has expanded sanctions against the Teheran regime, putting organizations delivering goods to Iran except for food and medical equipment. The conflict with Iran and ongoing hostilities between Iran and Iraq is one of the most critical issues Brown will inherit on the world stage.

Finally, the president approved additional arms deliveries to militias to Afghanistan who fight the Soviet invasion. Moscow quickly came to denounce the decision. President-elect Brown has expressed more hesitation with regard to Afghanistan and observers expect the biggest departure from Ford’s foreign policy here.

Also, on his final day, President Ford issued more than 200 pardons to various individuals.

Washington DC prepares for Inauguration of Jerry Brown as 39th President of the United States

Final preparations were finished on January 19, 1981, for the upcoming inauguration of Edmund G. Brown Jr. as 39th President of the United States. President-elect Brown and Vice President-elect Church attended a traditional church service that day and visited John F. Kennedy's grave in Arlington. Brown and his partner Linda Ronstadt spent the evening in the Blair House, the president's guest house before inaugural ceremonies would begin the next day.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #699 on: February 01, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »

Linda Ronstadt!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to: