Why is Minnesota so liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:57:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Minnesota so liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why is Minnesota so liberal?  (Read 12593 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »

socially tolerant (well, at least in regard to other Protestants - though I suspect many of this state's residents were also ahead of the Northern Protestant curve re: tolerance and acceptance of Catholics and Jews)

This is generally a great post, but Minneapolis was actually regarded as the "capital of anti-semitism" in the US in the early 20th century.

Wow, I stand corrected. Thanks!
Hilldog
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »

What to look at is that it's never that blue.  In a sense it's voted Democrat as long as the bluest, but I'd only classify it as light blue or likely Democrat alongside CT, MI, IL, NV, WI, NM, WA, OR, NJ, and ME.  It's a teaser too, just close enough for Republicans to say "this is our year in MN."  At 52-53% of the popular vote, Republicans could carry Minnesota.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2016, 02:53:37 PM by Snowguy716 »

What to look at is that it's never that blue.  In a sense it's voted Democrat as long as the bluest, but I'd only classify it as light blue or likely Democrat alongside CT, MI, IL, NV, WI, NM, WA, OR, NJ, and ME.  It's a teaser too, just close enough for Republicans to say "this is our year in MN."  At 52-53% of the popular vote, Republicans could carry Minnesota.
Like in 2004 when Bush won 53% of the vote and carried Minnesota?

Oh wait.

I could see Minnesota going GOP if the Republican got 57% of the national vote and there wasn't a Minnesotan on the Democratic ticket.  Or any other popular statewide DFLer.

The GOP will have won the presidency loooong before that... so the GOP pumping money into MN is really a case of fools chasing fools gold.

And I'll reiterate it... again.  If you look at the actual policies and statistics, you'll find Minnesota is actually quite liberal in practice.  They accept the DFL as the de facto ruling party and only use the GOP as a punishment when the DFL overreaches.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »

Yeah, Minnesota strikes me as way down the pecking order in terms of potential GOP pickups. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies