Is this good analysis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is this good analysis?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is this good analysis?  (Read 2156 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »

No way is Trump winning Colorado and New Hampshire. Also, Iowa and Ohio are definitely not "Likely Trump." Is it impossible for you to predict a win for Hillary Clinton? If so, you're in for a rough time on election night. Even though Trump has been clearly behind for most of the race, sometimes by a lot, I'm still not ruling out the possibility that he could win.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »

No way is Trump winning Colorado and New Hampshire. Also, Iowa and Ohio are definitely not "Likely Trump." Is it impossible for you to predict a win for Hillary Clinton? If so, you're in for a rough time on election night. Even though Trump has been clearly behind for most of the race, sometimes by a lot, I'm still not ruling out the possibility that he could win.

He now has a chance in CO. NH should shift after the debates, and IA & OH are definitely in his column right now. It is difficult to see a scenario in which she wins, and if she somehow managed to win, it would be a narrow victory.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 06:38:03 PM »

He now has a chance in CO. NH should shift after the debates, and IA & OH are definitely in his column right now. It is difficult to see a scenario in which she wins, and if she somehow managed to win, it would be a narrow victory.

Yeah, no.   I'll go with the experts, who are all predicting Hillary wins right now, usually by big margins.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »

Huh
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »

Looks like a desperate chance to pull an inside straight....

NH looking impossible and CO is extremely unlikely to flip considering that despite improvements for Trump in the suburbs of Denver and Colorado Springs (El Paso County) that Latinos appear to be significantly undersampled in recent polls...

So if take NH and CO off the map, and say Trump polls out a win in ME-02, basically it comes down to flipping Wisconsin (Most plausible result) OR Michigan/Pennsylvania, that seem much less probable...

So let's take that map (subtract CO and NH) and add Wisconsin would be Trump 270 EV for the win.... flip ME-02 and would go the House I believe....

Wisconsin might be the new tipping point state.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »

This may be your hoped-for outcome, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it is not close to the likely outcome based on an objective look at the current polls.

Advice from an old card player: no matter how long you stare at a deuce, it will not transform into an ace.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »

States like Rhode Island, Maine, Michigan, New Jersey, and Massachusetts trent heavily Republican (even though Trump will probably lose all of them except Maine D2). This perhaps opens the door for Republicans in the future to make some inroads. States like Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, and Utah move democratic for the election, but it won't last or indicate a trent. Arizona and Georgia will trend D, but it probably won't amount to much in the near future. North Carolina appears to trend D, emblematic of a longer trent- same with Iowa. florida Remains a pivotal swing state, as does ohio, but Ohio will be to Florida's right for the first time in a long time (probably).
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »

Remove NH (youre welcome TN Volunteer). Swap CO and NV. That's a more likely map than this. Wisconsin is more likely than colorado at this point. (hopefully that will change)
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »

Clinton wins North Carolina

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »

States like Rhode Island, Maine, Michigan, New Jersey, and Massachusetts trent heavily Republican (even though Trump will probably lose all of them except Maine D2). This perhaps opens the door for Republicans in the future to make some inroads. States like Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, and Utah move democratic for the election, but it won't last or indicate a trent. Arizona and Georgia will trend D, but it probably won't amount to much in the near future. North Carolina appears to trend D, emblematic of a longer trent- same with Iowa. florida Remains a pivotal swing state, as does ohio, but Ohio will be to Florida's right for the first time in a long time (probably).

Nope, Ohio voted to Florida's right in 2000.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »

Remove NH (youre welcome TN Volunteer). Swap CO and NV. That's a more likely map than this. Wisconsin is more likely than colorado at this point. (hopefully that will change)

B-b-b-but then Trump only has 266 electoral votes. Him, TNVol, and ER can only create maps where Trump wins.

They think Trump "starts" with 242 EV's,  while in reality he starts with about ~150.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:11:32 PM by heatcharger »

B-b-b-but then Trump only has 266 electoral votes. Him, TNVol, and ER can only create maps where Trump wins.

They think Trump "starts" with 242 EV's,  while in reality he starts with about ~150.

Yeah, it's sad how they think FL, OH, NC, and IA are already in the bag for them in a "close and competitive election" even though polling shows NC might be just as Democratic as the nation.

Don't worry, Mr. 'Independent', I'll change my prediction soon enough if I think Trump is going to lose. Smiley

I'll hold you to it Mr. 'Other'. Smiley I'm still trying to figure out why your political matrix score is left-leaning.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:42:42 PM by Spark498 »

Is this likely to work and can he win WI & MI that haven't gone R since 1984 & 1988? He has appeal to working class people and is reaching out to AA communities. Will this be enough to put these states in his column? OH definitely will be voting for Trump this November, but PA seems to be shifting more to the left and I now agree that Hillary Clinton will win my state barely. However, I am less certain about Wisconsin & Michigan. She seems to be having trouble in the polls in these states.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »

It is failing. hahaha
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

So two states that are very close must be locks for Trump, but a states where he's been consistently down, sometimes by double digits, are totally winnable for him? Okay then, if I use that logic...

North Carolina and Florida are in Hillary's column. Hillary has a chance in Indiana, even if she's down right now. Missouri should shift to Hillary after the debates.

Is it that hard to imagine a scenario in which Hillary wins? Trump may have gained over the past month, but that doesn't mean his gains will continue. Polling suggests a decisive victory for Hillary is very plausible, if not likely.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 07:44:03 PM »

I do believe that Trump will win CO, because if you're voting for him, you're smoking something pretty damn strong.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:47:06 PM by Spark498 »

So two states that are very close must be locks for Trump, but a states where he's been consistently down, sometimes by double digits, are totally winnable for him? Okay then, if I use that logic...

North Carolina and Florida are in Hillary's column. Hillary has a chance in Indiana, even if she's down right now. Missouri should shift to Hillary after the debates.

Is it that hard to imagine a scenario in which Hillary wins? Trump may have gained over the past month, but that doesn't mean his gains will continue. Polling suggests a decisive victory for Hillary is very plausible, if not likely.

Hillary has ground to lose, and it is Trump's to gain. The debates will only help him in the end, and he can only lose if he decides not to show up. Hillary will continue to go backwards and the momentum will shift even further after the first debate. It only will get worse for her and it can possibly turn into a Trump lead equivalent to Clinton's post-convention bounce.

Here is a scenario in which Crooked Hillary prevails:

272-266
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »

Hillary has ground to lose, and it is Trump's to gain. The debates will only help him in the end, and he can only lose if he decides not to show up. Hillary will continue to go backwards and the momentum will shift even further after the first debate.

272-266

Sorry to burst your bubble, but things can move in Hillary's direction. Many people are only now starting to pay attention to the election, and some might not until the debates. The assertion that the debates can only help Trump is ludicrous. If Trump comes across as a clueless child with temper issues (like he did in the Republican debates), he will likely lose ground. The map you showed seems like the best case scenario for Trump at the moment, minus the unwinnable Nevada. Just because you don't want Hillary to win and don't feel like she will doesn't mean she won't actually. It pays to look at polls, where the campaigns are spending money and time, and how much organization each campaign has. I just went with my gut feeling back in 2004, which told me Bush couldn't win again; I just couldn't imagine it. Reality doesn't have much regard for gut feelings, though.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 07:59:10 PM by Spark498 »

Hillary has ground to lose, and it is Trump's to gain. The debates will only help him in the end, and he can only lose if he decides not to show up. Hillary will continue to go backwards and the momentum will shift even further after the first debate.

272-266

Sorry to burst your bubble, but things can move in Hillary's direction. Many people are only now starting to pay attention to the election, and some might not until the debates. The assertion that the debates can only help Trump is ludicrous. If Trump comes across as a clueless child with temper issues (like he did in the Republican debates), he will likely lose ground. The map you showed seems like the best case scenario for Trump at the moment, minus the unwinnable Nevada. Just because you don't want Hillary to win and don't feel like she will doesn't mean she won't actually. It pays to look at polls, where the campaigns are spending money and time, and how much organization each campaign has. I just went with my gut feeling back in 2004, which told me Bush couldn't win again; I just couldn't imagine it. Reality doesn't have much regard for gut feelings, though.

It's not just because I don't want her to win, it's because she will not win. She is a damaged candidate and basically Kerry 2.0 if not worse. Barring a Trump collapse or mishap, he should win the election. Since his campaign changed hands, his numbers have improved and he has not been lashing out at anyone or group in particular. He has pivoted to a more presidential demeanor (visiting Mexico, Louisiana) that is appealing to the general public so far. Things can certainly change but probably will shift in Trump's favor if this continues. But if this cycle has taught us anything, it is unpredictable along with other factors (impending recession, terrorist attacks, party fatigue) and that definitely gives Trump an advantage. And btw don't worry Trump isn't winning Washington or even PA, I can realize that.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »

272-266

It's not just because I don't want her to win, it's because she will not win. She is a damaged candidate and basically Kerry 2.0 if not worse. Barring a Trump collapse or mishap, he should win the election. Since his campaign changed hands, his numbers have improved and he has not been lashing out at anyone or group in particular. He has pivoted to a more presidential demeanor (visiting Mexico, Louisiana) that is appealing to the general public so far. Things can certainly change but probably will shift in Trump's favor if this continues. But if this cycle has taught us anything, it is unpredictable along with other factors (impending recession, terrorist attacks, party fatigue) and that definitely gives Trump an advantage. And btw don't worry Trump isn't winning Washington or even PA, I can realize that.

If Trump isn't winning PA, he almost certainly isn't winning the election. PA is by far the most likely tipping point state (other than maybe FL, but he would have to win PA for that to happen.) Be careful about making predictions with that much certainty. You're only setting yourself up for even greater disappointment. How do you know Trump won't say something insulting (or several insulting things) during the debates? That's not to say he has a more presidential demeanor. He has said plenty of insulting things over the past month. Unpredictability does not necessarily favor Trump. It could just as easily mean that things will move in Hillary's direction. All I will say is: Believe that Hillary can't win at your own peril. Should Hillary Clinton be projected to become the 45th President on the night of November 8th, don't say I didn't warn you.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 08:07:54 PM »

272-266

If Trump isn't winning PA, he almost certainly isn't winning the election. PA is by far the most likely tipping point state (other than maybe FL, but he would have to win PA for that to happen.) Be careful about making predictions with that much certainty. You're only setting yourself up for even greater disappointment. How do you know Trump won't say something insulting (or several insulting things) during the debates? That's not to say he has a more presidential demeanor. He has said plenty of insulting things over the past month. Unpredictability does not necessarily favor Trump. It could just as easily mean that things will move in Hillary's direction. All I will say is: Believe that Hillary can't win at your own peril. Should Hillary Clinton be projected to become the 45th President on the night of November 8th, don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm not worried about her becoming president, because I know that she is disqualified and it just isn't happening. I won't be disappointed if Trump loses a close election. There are other states in the Midwest that he can flip such as Wisconsin or Michigan which are looking more likely at this point. Hillary can prepare all that she wants, but it is Trump that changes how people perceive him and has the ability to play to his audience.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »

I'm not worried about her becoming president, because I know that she is disqualified and it just isn't happening. I won't be disappointed if Trump loses a close election. There are other states in the Midwest that he can flip such as Wisconsin or Michigan which are looking more likely at this point. Hillary can prepare all that she wants, but it is Trump that changes how people perceive him and has the ability to play to his audience.

I am going to be very worried about you on November 9.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies