The absentee/early vote thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:02:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The absentee/early vote thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 86
Author Topic: The absentee/early vote thread  (Read 171692 times)
dspNY
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »

Is high turnout in the WOW counties really good news for Trump? My impression was that he's relatively weak for a Republican in those counties, and that he would be stronger in the more rural NW parts of the state and in Green Bay.

It's good news for Johnson against Feingold though. That being said we know for sure that high turnout in Milwaukee and Madison is good for HRC
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1801 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »

In Miami-Dade county Early/Absentee voting has nearly equaled the total Early/Absentee vote in 2012 with a week yet to go..

https://twitter.com/MDCElections?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Vote by Mail:

2012: 244K
2016: 222K

In Person Early

2012: 235K
2016: 239K

Yes, Steve Schale just tweeted that Palm Beach, Broward and Dade surpassed the 1 million mark in VBM and EIP today. Big numbers. Also, Hispanics make up 13.5%, so far, of all early votes. That's another good number for Clinton.

I think we are looking at 6+ mill Early/VBM ballots in Florida (about 4 mill now) out of an estimated total turnout of a little over 9 mill.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1802 on: October 31, 2016, 10:11:29 PM »

I can't see how anyone spins this, very ugly #'s in FL.

https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/793278422415872000
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1803 on: October 31, 2016, 10:13:35 PM »

OK, I know I'll get blasted again for being a killjoy and everything, but... from the NC and FL results, doesn't it look like SttP was a massive flop? African-Americans were supposed to narrow their turnout deficit at least a bit, right? Instead the latest numbers I've seen show them still way down.

If this is wrong please explain me why, but for God's sake cut it with the unbacked "everything will be fine" mantra.

No one's taking this up? Uh-oh.

I believe the big STTP push in Florida is next Sunday.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1804 on: October 31, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »

VBM looks really good, but the early vote not so much. We'll see what happens.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1805 on: October 31, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »

She is going to have really kill it with Hispanics like 70-75, she is clearly doing worse with whites across all polls in FL. Drop in black turnout leaves no room for error.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1806 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »

OK, I know I'll get blasted again for being a killjoy and everything, but... from the NC and FL results, doesn't it look like SttP was a massive flop? African-Americans were supposed to narrow their turnout deficit at least a bit, right? Instead the latest numbers I've seen show them still way down.

If this is wrong please explain me why, but for God's sake cut it with the unbacked "everything will be fine" mantra.

No one's taking this up? Uh-oh.

I haven't seen the latest NC/FL numbers, but if it was a flop, then that's definitely bad new for those two states. There's still time, though, and even if low black turnout does sink Hillary in NC/FL (I doubt that this will actually happen), that's not going to be enough for Trump to win. NV, CO, and WI all look great for Hillary right now, meaning that unless Trump wins PA, he's not going to win.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1807 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »

Yeah, the swing in the white vote would have to be heavy for those to look very good. OTOH, that doesn't mesh well with the recent polling the state. Hard to say what that means right now. Like NC especially, a very muddy mess right now, and it may not actually clear much before Election Day.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1808 on: October 31, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »

henster's concern trolling is entering new territory. Go away troll.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1809 on: October 31, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »

I don't know what you guys don't get about the fact that Democrats vote later than Republicans. The numbers in North Carolina and Florida do not look bad (quite the opposite) and Clinton isn't reliant on record African American turnout because she is doing better among both white and Latino voters in both states.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1810 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:14 PM »

some parts of dem coalition vote early-early anfd some late-early...as strange as it sounds.

but yeah....especially young voters ...aaaaaaaad...as schale stated several times,  there are big amounts of requested but unfilled absentee mails laying around.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1811 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »

I don't know what you guys don't get about the fact that Democrats vote later than Republicans. The numbers in North Carolina and Florida do not look bad (quite the opposite) and Clinton isn't reliant on record African American turnout because she is doing better among both white and Latino voters in both states.

On the whole, I agree with you. The point that asmith's chart brings up is that, with the same amount of time to Election Day, the demos are worse looking (more whites, less blacks, not enough Latinx to make up the difference). There may be built in logical fallacies for comparing by "x days out", but if there aren't, they are a bit weak. That said, party numbers and polls have been good, so maybe white vote is going the way we want.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1812 on: October 31, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »

We're talking about a 10-point drop here. I'm OK with not having "record African-American turnout", but this looks like we're going back to the 90s.
psychprofessor

« Reply #1813 on: October 31, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »

At this point 4 years ago in Florida, it had two weekends of early vote and STTP. This year it's been only one so far.

Also, look at where the early vote is coming from and the partisan breakdown.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1814 on: October 31, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »

We're talking about a 10-point drop here. I'm OK with not having "record African-American turnout", but this looks like we're going back to the 90s.

Stop panicking. Let's talk again next Monday, okay? I understand your concern, but let's be patient. Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1815 on: October 31, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »

At this point 4 years ago Florida, had two weekends of early vote and STTP. This year it's been only one so far.

Aha, there's the fallacy I was looking for. So we just need to keep an eye on the numbers day to day, then, see if the numbers get restored by ED. Thanks!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1816 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »

On the whole, I agree with you. The point that asmith's chart brings up is that, with the same amount of time to Election Day, the demos are worse looking (more whites, less blacks, not enough Latinx to make up the difference). There may be built in logical fallacies for comparing by "x days out", but if there aren't, they are a bit weak. That said, party numbers and polls have been good, so maybe white vote is going the way we want.
There are no working class white Democrats in Florida and North Carolina for Clinton to lose, so she is going to be gaining considerably with white college educated voters, especially women, in the suburbs of both states with little to no downside. Also, turnout is extremely high in the Latino portions of Southern Florida, leading me to believe that the unthinkable will happen again and Miami-Dade County will further swing towards Democrats.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1817 on: October 31, 2016, 10:31:31 PM »

I can guarantee that there isn't going to be a 40% drop in African American turnout if that is what you are wondering lol.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1818 on: October 31, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »

There are no working class white Democrats in Florida and North Carolina for Clinton to lose, so she is going to be gaining considerably with white college educated voters, especially women, in the suburbs of both states with little to no downside. Also, turnout is extremely high in the Latino portions of Southern Florida, leading me to believe that the unthinkable will happen again and Miami-Dade County will further swing towards Democrats.

All may very well be right. Thanks for the insight! As easy as it is to be impatient this close to ED, just gotta wait and see, day to day.
psychprofessor

« Reply #1819 on: October 31, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »

At this point 4 years ago Florida, had two weekends of early vote and STTP. This year it's been only one so far.

Aha, there's the fallacy I was looking for. So we just need to keep an eye on the numbers day to day, then, see if the numbers get restored by ED. Thanks!

And as Steve Schale reminds everyone, the Hispanic number is usually underrepresented since there are a portion of Latino's who self-ID as white. Also look at the no affiliation numbers...off the charts so far. Further, Dems are recruiting more unlikely voters than Reps are...it looks close but I think the demographics favor Clinton.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1820 on: October 31, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »

2,237,972 voters cast ballots in the three South FL counties in 2012. So Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are around 44.6% of their overall 2012 turnout. They are 26% of the statewide turnout now and were 26.4% of the statewide vote in 2012. So those counties are fractionally lagging 2012. I agree that the demographic breakdown is a concern but the actual number of votes from those three counties is tracking 2012. It looks to me as if a big push in Broward will lock the state down for her
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1821 on: October 31, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »

I can guarantee that there isn't going to be a 40% drop in African American turnout if that is what you are wondering lol.

I hope you're right. I wish I could feel so confident.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1822 on: October 31, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »

40% drop...don't be ridicolous.

10-15% sounds more likely.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1823 on: October 31, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

This has been the best thread on this subforum all election. I'm having a ton of fun sifting through all the numbers with y'all without (too much of) the craziness from elsewhere. Smiley Let's go out with a bang, eh? Don't get to do this again for a while.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1824 on: October 31, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »

This has been the best thread on this subforum all election. I'm having a ton of fun sifting through all the numbers with y'all without (too much of) the craziness from elsewhere. Smiley Let's go out with a bang, eh? Don't get to do this again for a while.

Yea, I agree wholeheartedly. I always look forward to posts here.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies