What do you think the new G.O.P and Democratic strategies are after 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you think the new G.O.P and Democratic strategies are after 2016?  (Read 325 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »

Well, the GOP will nominate Ryan who is a Eric Canter clone on immigration and still come up short in 2020. Clinton will use Executive and CRT action to legislate around House like Obama did.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 06:12:16 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2016, 06:22:30 PM by Virginia »

GOP: Fund a very honest, accurate autopsy, buy popcorn then watch primary voters nominate a candidate that goes against basically everything they need to do to broaden their coalition

Democrats: Work to reelect Clinton so as to ensure young voters flee the party and never come back

-

Actually that's just what I think will end up happening. For Democrats, I see them doing what they are doing now - minority/young/female/college educated reach out.

For Republicans, they will continue to try and woo minorities but probably find them even less receptive due to Trump. In Congress, they will continue to obstruct so they can score a large victory in 2018 and in 2020 by denying Clinton any achievements, but also because the more conservative members make life insanely difficult for the party as a whole if they compromise on anything.

I don't see much changing between 2016 - 2020. After 2020, I think we might begin to see evolving strategies that will pan out better, depending on who wins that presidential election. Millennials will be very close to making up half the electorate by 2020, and the parties will begin to see changing levels of support in the 2020s as heavily Democratic Millennials push out Republican 65+ voters. Hard to say how things play out strategically at that point.
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »

GOP: Complete autopsy + cleanup. Wait for the 2018 midterms to mop up the rewards of losing 2016 and the inevitable unpopularity of Hillary Clinton (if she wins). Unite behind one candidate before the primaries stop the cluster of 2016.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »

Depends entirely on what happens in the fall. If Hillary wins, I imagine that Democrats will just continue their current strategy and try to hold the Obama coalition together. If Trump manages to win, maybe the Bernie/Warren wing of the party takes over in 2020. I could see someone like Feingold taking up Bernie's position four years from now and winning the primary in a divided field. As for the republican strategy under a Clinton win, continue to obstruct, wait for the wave in 2018, and hope that Clinton's negatives are enough that anybody could win in 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies