remember 1989-90?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:02:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  remember 1989-90?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: remember 1989-90?  (Read 4896 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »

the fall of communism?
the crumbling of the berlin wall?
the velvet revolution?
the end of the cold war?

the world just seemed so peaceful.

is it just me or is the world now more dangerous than it was at any point during the cold war?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:40:07 AM »

Yeah, it did suck.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:49:17 AM »

The world is not more dangerous now than it was during the cold war.

Had we not had the strong leadership that we had during that time (all of the Presidents except Carter had excellent foreign policy), we very well could have ended up in a massive climactic disaster.  While it is clear that terrorism is very dangerous, it simply does not pose the threat to the human race that full scale nuclear war would have.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »

is it just me or is the world now more dangerous than it was at any point during the cold war?

As htmldon said, I find the threat of having some lunatic fly a plane into a building to be, while still worrying, much less scary than the thought of, you know, global annihilation of the human race in a full-scale nuclear war.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 12:01:20 PM »

As htmldon said, I find the threat of having some lunatic fly a plane into a building to be, while still worrying, much less scary than the thought of, you know, global annihilation of the human race in a full-scale nuclear war.

are you saying we dont have to worry about nuclear terrorism?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »

You don't have to. You might have to worry about the people who're selling that crap to you, though. Tongue

Oh, and Don - so you disapprove of instigating a massive buildup on nukes and missiles that eventually bankrupted the Soviet Union, but you approve of continuing with it despite massive internal opposition? Interesting. Weird.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 12:20:03 PM »

No Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 12:21:57 PM »

LOL!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:23:24 PM »

No, but even if something like that occurs, it still will not bring about the annihilation of the human race.  Is the world safe?  No, it never really has been, ever, in the history of Earth.  Is it currently safer than it was when the Soviets had a thousand nukes aimed at us and their finger one inch from the button?  I would say it is, yes.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:32:20 PM »

except terrorism existed back then too.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 01:28:51 PM »

except terrorism existed back then too.

yes but the problem has clearly grown worse.

we also have a bigger problem with rogue states and weapons of mass destruction (ie north korea and iran).  those states arent held back by the prospect of mutual assured destruction, as the ussr was.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 01:42:07 PM »

I just remembered how, when I was growing up, saying "Yo momma live in Beirut!" was one the dirtiest insults possible.

I strongly remember terrorism as being a huge deal growing up in the 1980s: Beirut, IraqIran (always one word), Lebanon (which I didn't know the capitol of which was Beirut), Contras, Libyans (the sh**ttiest human beings in existance).

By comparison, all I remember of the Soviet Union was a man with a huge blot on his forehead.

Ahh, to be a six year old again...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2005, 03:29:44 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

we also have a bigger problem with rogue states and weapons of mass destruction (ie north korea and iran).  those states arent held back by the prospect of mutual assured destruction, as the ussr was.

Why not?  The feral instinct of self-preservation is always present in humans, and both Kim Jong-Il and the guys in Iran know that if they launch a nuke at the US, their countries along with themselves will be wiped off the face of the planet.  Sure their personalities are not exactly conducive to a healthy diplomatic environment (to put it in a much more mild fashion than either of them deserve), but neither were Stalin's or Khruschev's, and they didn't launch nukes at the US the first chance they got.  I'm not saying that we should just sit idly by while they pursue their nuclear ambitions, but I'm not convinced that North Korea and Iran are a larger threat than the USSR was.  A threat, for sure, and one that must be closely monitored, but not on the scale of the USSR.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 03:41:25 PM »

I dont remember much when I was three Smiley I recall briefly times spent at a school daycare, and being babysat, and possibly sesame street. Unfortunately Kermit never went into detail about the fall of communism.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 03:44:09 PM »

I dont remember much when I was three Smiley I recall briefly times spent at a school daycare, and being babysat, and possibly sesame street. Unfortunately Kermit never went into detail about the fall of communism.

Most of what I remember involved those blue screens with the "This is only a test.  Had this been a real emergency...".  And boy, was I glad I never asked my parents what that was about. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 04:22:20 PM »

Well, for about two months in '89 I was a tiny little embryo.  For the first 7-1/2 months of '90 I was a fetus.  Then I was born.  I took too long, but I was born smiling.  Basically, for the rest of the year, I gurgled, pooped, and slept.  But I was darn cute doing it Smiley

Here are my memories of 1989-90:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 10:44:43 PM »

The world is not more dangerous now than it was during the cold war.

Had we not had the strong leadership that we had during that time (all of the Presidents except Carter had excellent foreign policy), we very well could have ended up in a massive climactic disaster.  While it is clear that terrorism is very dangerous, it simply does not pose the threat to the human race that full scale nuclear war would have.

Well, actually the current 'terrorism' was mostly created by cold-war policies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 02:03:25 AM »

Well, actually the current 'terrorism' was mostly created by cold-war policies.

Prove it
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 02:47:53 AM »

Why not?  The feral instinct of self-preservation is always present in humans, and both Kim Jong-Il and the guys in Iran know that if they launch a nuke at the US, their countries along with themselves will be wiped off the face of the planet.  Sure their personalities are not exactly conducive to a healthy diplomatic environment (to put it in a much more mild fashion than either of them deserve),
You are talking about Bush and Cheney, right? Smiley
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's quite obvious that North Korea's nuclear program is motivated entirely by "the prospect of mutually ensured destruction". Iran is more complicated, mostly because nobody can be quite sure whether they're even trying to develop nukes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 02:51:09 AM »

Why not?  The feral instinct of self-preservation is always present in humans, and both Kim Jong-Il and the guys in Iran know that if they launch a nuke at the US, their countries along with themselves will be wiped off the face of the planet.  Sure their personalities are not exactly conducive to a healthy diplomatic environment (to put it in a much more mild fashion than either of them deserve),
You are talking about Bush and Cheney, right? Smiley

I'll refrain from comment. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 09:48:15 AM »

In actuality the chances of global thermonuclear war Wink was minimal at best. The Soviets would have never launched an attack as their abilities were far less then was believed at the time. It was mostly hype and propaganda during the cold war rather then fact.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 09:59:33 AM »

I am definitely a member of the 1989 generation. It affected me really much. I was so young, so idealistic...
Then the war in Balkans started and so on... Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »

In actuality the chances of global thermonuclear war Wink was minimal at best. The Soviets would have never launched an attack as their abilities were far less then was believed at the time. It was mostly hype and propaganda during the cold war rather then fact.
This is true to a large extent. Analogy to the situation today fully applies.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 10:38:40 AM »

This is true to a large extent. Analogy to the situation today fully applies.

Err, not exactly. The terrorists have struck us and killed citizens on many occassions. I don't remember many times when the Soviets ever killed American citizens on US shores.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 10:44:24 AM »

I can remember 1978-81 very well; the US diminished.  The economy was in shambles.  Everywhere were signs of collapse.  I'd rather be living now (even though the music was better then).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies