If Trump gets crushed, what's next for the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:38:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Trump gets crushed, what's next for the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Trump gets crushed, what's next for the GOP?  (Read 2803 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »

Republicans are still going to make big gains in 2018 and control most of America's state legislatures and governorships. That will preclude any drastic party change I think.
I don't know about that. 2 years in politics is like dog years!
hopper
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »

Obviously no one really knows, but I have my predictions.

I feel like the GOP would change after a landslide loss to Hillary, but not necessarily for the better.  The Cruz wing of the party would win the nomination, though perhaps not Cruz himself, on the ridiculous argument that Trump lost because he was "not a real conservative".  Hillary will win reelection against the essentially unelectable Cruz/Cotton/etc., and the GOP will be left scratching their heads wondering how they lost, just like in 2012.

I think that four consecutive nationwide losses might be enough for the GOP to finally take the 2012 autopsy seriously.  If they do moderate their policies, and reform their message, then they could be in a good position to win in 2024.  If they refuse to change though, I have no idea what could possibly happen.  Whatever it is, it wouldn't be good for the GOP.
I don't know if you can compare 2020 to 2012 since we don't know how the economy will be in 2020 and what Hillary's approvals will be on election day in 2020.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »

We have yet to  know what sort of President Hillary Clinton will be. We really cannot say much yet, and are fools to speak except in generalities about the election of 2020. The two biggest landslides by Republicans and the last landslide of Democrats in Presidential elections did not lead to long-term dominance of their Parties in Presidential elections. One needs a Lincoln or FDR for that.

Of course, Republicans will scramble to avoid a similar defeat. They will form their nomination process so that they never get a nominee like Donald Trump again. Think about it: so concerned about getting another George McGovern in 1976, the Democrats got Jimmy Carter instead.

I am tempted to say that Republicans will have trouble winning elections so long as they demonize Barack Obama. Doing so insults people who voted for him and people who still think him a good-to-great President. One does not win by calling into question the wisdom of people who voted 'wrong' in the last election, because those people will be voting in the next election. Think about it: Bill Clinton said little bad about Ronald Reagan. He won.   Republicans might as well accept Barack Obama as the closest thing that the Democrats had to Ronald Reagan.

hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 06:32:19 PM »

Republicans are still going to make big gains in 2018 and control most of America's state legislatures and governorships. That will preclude any drastic party change I think.
I don't know about that. 2 years in politics is like dog years!

I don't think it's at all safe to assume a 2018 Dem bloodbath under Clinton.  If she keeps even half of her expanded college white support from 2016, they will hold their own.
So you don't think there is a chance that Dens could gain seats in the House and Senate in 2018 or even gain State Governerships?
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »

Of course, Republicans will scramble to avoid a similar defeat. They will form their nomination process so that they never get a nominee like Donald Trump again. Think about it: so concerned about getting another George McGovern in 1976, the Democrats got Jimmy Carter instead.

I am tempted to say that Republicans will have trouble winning elections so long as they demonize Barack Obama. Doing so insults people who voted for him and people who still think him a good-to-great President. One does not win by calling into question the wisdom of people who voted 'wrong' in the last election, because those people will be voting in the next election. Think about it: Bill Clinton said little bad about Ronald Reagan. He won.   Republicans might as well accept Barack Obama as the closest thing that the Democrats had to Ronald Reagan. 
I doubt Republicans will do a Superdelegate System like the Dems did in the 70's. That would make Republican Voters even madder that I think would lead to another Trump getting nominated. Its like you are gonna take some of our voting power away we are even madder.'

About Obama-I'm surprised how mad some Republican Voters are at Obama. I think it stems from ObamaCare being passed which is a policy most Republican Voters love to hate. I'm not a fan of Obama or ObamaCare but I don't passionately dislike Obama himself or ObamaCare.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »

I can imagine Republicans saying the same thing after 1988 (many comparisons to 2016), and then Bill Clinton (who gave an awful DNC speech) stepped up with perfect timing in 1992 and brought the party back.

I mean Obama was an unknown State Senator 4 years before he got elected
Medal506
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2016, 08:59:37 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2016, 09:10:42 PM by Medal506 »

Ted Cruz would become the nominee for the Republican Party in 2020 and this would happen in the general election

Ted Cruz / Rick Scott 360 electoral votes 53.4
Hillary Clinton / Tim Kaine 178 electoral voter 45.3
Medal506
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »

Obviously no one really knows, but I have my predictions.

I feel like the GOP would change after a landslide loss to Hillary, but not necessarily for the better.  The Cruz wing of the party would win the nomination, though perhaps not Cruz himself, on the ridiculous argument that Trump lost because he was "not a real conservative".  Hillary will win reelection against the essentially unelectable Cruz/Cotton/etc., and the GOP will be left scratching their heads wondering how they lost, just like in 2012.

I think that four consecutive nationwide losses might be enough for the GOP to finally take the 2012 autopsy seriously.  If they do moderate their policies, and reform their message, then they could be in a good position to win in 2024.  If they refuse to change though, I have no idea what could possibly happen.  Whatever it is, it wouldn't be good for the GOP.

Dude Ted Cruz would eviscerate Hillary Clinton in 2020 if he becomes the nominee. Now you're right about Tom Cotton being unelectable but Ted Cruz would win in a landslide victory. Right now we're 20 trillion in debt by then we will be 30 trillion in debt. Ted Cruz would probably win in a 1980s style landslide victory
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »

They'd probably double down on Trump's "NOT A TRUE CONSERVATIVE" trademark and push to nominate someone in the Cruz/Cotton wing of the party for 2020

Which is precisely why I think Republicans will lose yet again in 2020. They won't learn their lesson and will nominate yet another bozo and blow yet another winnable election.
Romney could have won in 2012 if he had just one more Presidentual Debate win since he won the first debate but Obama took the next 2 debates. Obama would have still been hard to beat on Election Day given he had a 50% approval rating nearly matching his 51% of the popular vote % on Elction Day 2012.
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2016, 08:38:48 PM by hopper »

I can imagine Republicans saying the same thing after 1988 (many comparisons to 2016), and then Bill Clinton (who gave an awful DNC speech) stepped up with perfect timing in 1992 and brought the party back.

I mean Obama was an unknown State Senator 4 years before he got elected
Well the Republicans aren't as in bad as shape as the Dems were in 1988. Dukakis in 1988 only won 10 states. The problems for the Republicans are states like WI and MI and they are getting killed in the Northeast and states with alot of Latino's(NV, CO, and FL.) VA is getting away from them because of NOVA. NOVA is alot like the Northeastern States(socially liberal I think) which is bad for Republicans.
hopper
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »

I think Cotton would win the nomination in 2020 if Trump doesn't win the General Election this year.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »

The only democracy that we can look at is England when Tony Blair won 3 straight elections only to be brought down by the Iraq war. But, Dems aren't worried about state legislatures as long as Dems have Merrick Garland on CRT.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »

I think Cotton would win the nomination in 2020 if Trump doesn't win the General Election this year.

I think it would probably be Ted Cruz that would win the nomination in 2020 if Trump loses in November. Tom Cotton could be in 3rd or 4th though
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies