Issues where 'your side' frustrates you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:45:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Issues where 'your side' frustrates you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Issues where 'your side' frustrates you  (Read 3095 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2016, 11:27:25 PM »

By the way, I suppose an issue where I'd criticize the left for not being "left enough" would be drug legalization.  That's obviously going to be a problem as long as our entire political system is financed by the War on Drugs*, but it's quickly becoming what could be a political winner for the left to appeal to libertarians and BLM/criminal justice reform supporters on that issue.

*This is, predictably, one of the issues where the base is clearly there, but the politicians are not.

Do you just mean the prison guard lobby, or something more than that? 
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »

By the way, I suppose an issue where I'd criticize the left for not being "left enough" would be drug legalization.  That's obviously going to be a problem as long as our entire political system is financed by the War on Drugs*, but it's quickly becoming what could be a political winner for the left to appeal to libertarians and BLM/criminal justice reform supporters on that issue.

*This is, predictably, one of the issues where the base is clearly there, but the politicians are not.

Do you just mean the prison guard lobby, or something more than that? 

That and several other industries, all which obviously have their own connections.

(Obviously I'm being slightly hyperbolic when I say the "entire" political system.)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2016, 05:14:46 AM »

The left is far too willing to make abortion a black and white issue (the right is too, imo), and refuses to consider any kind of nuanced position on it. Same thing with immigration, you're either for complete amnesty, or you're Donald Trump according to many leftists. Although I disagree with most leftists on marijuana legalization, their arguments and viewpoints don't frustrate me as much as their viewpoints on the other two issues.

Also the minority of Democrats who support expanded free trade and are anti-union. But I wouldn't necessarily consider those folks as being on my "side".
Mapleman
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2016, 07:57:56 AM »

The left is far too willing to make abortion a black and white issue (the right is too, imo), and refuses to consider any kind of nuanced position on it. Same thing with immigration, you're either for complete amnesty, or you're Donald Trump according to many leftists. Although I disagree with most leftists on marijuana legalization, their arguments and viewpoints don't frustrate me as much as their viewpoints on the other two issues.

Also the minority of Democrats who support expanded free trade and are anti-union. But I wouldn't necessarily consider those folks as being on my "side".

I agree with you that the issues of abortion and immigration are often turned into a one-position-fits-all stance for both sides.
I would love to see Dems take a more nuanced and careful position on trade policy and other economic issues. Republicans too for that matter. It seems all to often that members of both major parties seem to be all too accepting of what the party's main stance is, and do not think critically about the policies of said parties.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies