A General Letter in Agreement with JCL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:38:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A General Letter in Agreement with JCL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A General Letter in Agreement with JCL  (Read 3470 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »

Why are you still playing this in the context of a game? This isn't a game. This is someone who needs to be disposed of.

Wow.  Advocating people being "disposed of"?  Nice.

btw, Scott, you sure didn't mind me being a "halfwit contrarian" when I was defending you against the people who were calling you a racist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »

Why are you still playing this in the context of a game? This isn't a game. This is someone who needs to be disposed of.

btw, Scott, you sure didn't mind me being a "halfwit contrarian" when I was defending you against the people who were calling you a racist.

Still many magnitudes more tolerant than JCL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »

You know, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about how gays need to 'grow a thicker skin' and laugh off the bigoted sewage being thrown in their faces, but God forbid someone criticize the evangelicals. When one decides to begin a conversation by singling out another poster as "unnatural," one should not be surprised if this engenders a negative response.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 11:24:22 PM »

What is the worry here?  Is he about to become dictator of Atlasia or something and impose his beliefs on everyone?  If what he said bothers you, don't vote for him.  Is him expressing an opinion a direct threat to anyone's well-being? Does this require a special prosecutor and a Congressional investigation to root out dissenters from the consensus on sexual matters?

Do you ever tire of being deliberately obtuse?

How original!  Where did you come up with that one?

I tire of people who gang up to shut down conversation with insults and pat each other on the back for how moral they are and what a great difference they are making in the world through their online outrage.  This is a fantasy elections game for s sake, you're not progressing actual society by trying to keep posters from being elected here.  But I guess that stance is the official definition of "deliberately obtuse" now. 

You've been putting on this 'halfwitted contrarian' act for years now.  That's what people here are tired of.

I'm sure you know very well this has nothing to do with a stupid fantasy game and everything to do with JCL's constant immunity toward reason and shameless degradation of LGBT people.  The election's been over for a week now.  It doesn't matter who's elected to what fake office if bigotry can go unacknowledged.

What board is this discussion on?  The reason we are talking about this is because people are upset the federalists haven't completely disavowed JCL over the subject, is it not?  Is there some actual goal in mind here that transcends this game?

I really don't care what board it's on.  I really don't care how the Federalists control (or not control) the people in their party.  In fact, I usually laugh these in-game shenanigans off.  What JCL espouses (and would, presumably, affect his relationship with his future children should they turn out to be gay) is far more damaging than what happens in some game.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which is something I never said.  Again, you're missing the bigger problem here in relegating it to a fantasyland issue.  That is what is frustrating.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 05:26:39 AM »

You know, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about how gays need to 'grow a thicker skin' and laugh off the bigoted sewage being thrown in their faces, but God forbid someone criticize the evangelicals. When one decides to begin a conversation by singling out another poster as "unnatural," one should not be surprised if this engenders a negative response.

In the context of Atlas, this strains credulity.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 11:37:36 AM by Chief Justice windjammer »

So you enjoy humiliating posters like that? Seriously? It's not surprising from  Hagridofthedeep, but from other posters, I'm quire shocked.

JCL's views are despicable, but no one deserves to be treated like sh**t like that, you should be all ashamed of yourselves.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »

JCL's views are despicable, but no one deserves to be treated like sh**t like that, you should be all ashamed of yourselves.

I honestly don't care whether what JCL is saying comes from an actual malice or simply him being hopelessly stupid. If any poster started to spread racist/anti-semitic/neonazi crap, such a poster would be instantly called out. I don't see why we should take a lesser approach toward a blatant homophobia.

If you write something like this, you must be prepeared for an unpleasant response, period. I'm tired with people ignoring this for years.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »

I honestly don't care whether what JCL is saying comes from an actual malice or simply him being hopelessly stupid. If any poster started to spread racist/anti-semitic/neonazi crap, such a poster would be instantly called out. I don't see why we should take a lesser approach toward a blatant homophobia.

If you write something like this, you must be prepeared for an unpleasant response, period. I'm tired with people ignoring this for years.
No one should be treated like sh**t like that period.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »

Heh, I didn't want to go there, but given your own record of treating some people like s**t on this forum, you're in no position to play Mr. Morally Superior here.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »

Heh, I didn't want to go there, but given your own record of treating some people like s**t on this forum, you're in no position to play Mr. Morally Superior here.
Maybe it's the fact that I treat people like sh**t I manage to realize when someone is basically being treated like sh**t ?
You didn't even refute my point lol.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »

Maybe it's the fact that I treat people like sh**t I manage to realize when someone is basically being treated like sh**t ?

I've wrote exactly why I disagree with your point.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 07:41:30 AM by Chief Justice windjammer »

You are in no position of playing Mr Morality isnt a valid argument I guess Sad

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »

Somehow, I agree with windjammer.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »

"I didn't give a  about gay people until I become gay" Hagridofthedeep

Wow, you're almost as bad as JCL.

This is literally the worst thing I read posted on the Atlas in a while.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »

Yes, I'm sorry for having posted that, my apologies, I just deleted this part.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »

You are in no position of playing Mr Morality isnt a valid argument I guess Sad

I agree. Which is why he needs to stop doing that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 12:33:21 AM »

I have no idea what the specific of this argument are or why it matters. In any case, if you for whatever reason see yourself as unable to interact with those around you, society has developed tools for you to self-select out of this process. Bottom line, though: who cares?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »

If someone posted that evangelicalism was unnatural and was in the way of people becoming who they are meant to be ... I'm honestly not sure I'd completely disagree with it in the context of American evangelical culture ... but it would merit at worst a fedora meme.  An obsessive campaign against not only them but anyone who doesn't rush to condemn them would be incredibly stupid and annoying. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »

Was that an apology?  Needs work.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »

Oh hun, don't worry, I have nothing to apologize for, and I never would dream of apologizing to that monster. 😇
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »

Since this thread is specifically about me and my views on gay rights and folks wanting to call my views as bigoted, I'm going to make things VERY CLEAR FOR ALL OF YOU

I believe all of us are created in the image of God and that alone gives us rights that no government has the right to undermine in any way. Don't you think that the same God knows how the human body works better than we do (not to be construed to mean that our understanding is bad or anything only incomplete)? 

People should be treated with respect and dignity. That doesn't mean everything done under the sun is right or beneficial. I just believe that the Judeo-Christian mores on sex and marriage are ones most beneficial to a free society. Marriage and family was in society before religion and human government by quite a bit of time (that is if you believe The Bible). Hence marriage and state should have a reasonable level of separation.

The original intent of government interposing it's will in the marriage institution in the United States was to prevent interracial marriage. I would've opposed the government for its immoral actions then as well because we all know and agree that racism is immoral.

Since I firmly believe in God, I also believe God has a natural order of how life operates.  He created both male and female and told them to be fruitful and multiply. My question to our LGBT folks is this. How can a union of two people of the same gender lead to a new life naturally?

Yes I have had people close to me who are gay. I made every effort to treat them with the dignity and respect worthy of any human being. They know where I stand and vise versa. I still try to share my faith with them and that is the way I've tried to do so here. My RL gay friends do not view me as some "bigoted right wing nut job" as some here do. I have tried to seek an accord of respect with some here but sadly that has not yet come to be. Yes, I will never support gay marriage but there are other ways I can in good conscience advocate for fair treatment. This is where I stand on the subject and that's that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »

Weighing in here...

We're not all going to agree on every issue, and I'm still going to continue to advocate that the Federalist Party supports equal rights for people of differing sexualities, and should the party ever go against that, you can expect me to raise hell. I don't agree with JCL on gay rights, but I certainly wouldn't call him a bigot. He has been a good friend and has always been very kind to me and respectful to me. Do I wish he had a different opinion? Sure. But at least he can defend his position and is respectful about it. A lot better than most of the people who oppose it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »

Oh hun, don't worry, I have nothing to apologize for, and I never would dream of apologizing to that monster. 😇

Since you responded here even though I was addressing Scott about something else
perhaps your conscience is trying to tell you something? Smiley
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:45 AM »

Sorry, I have to say something about this. Mostly addressed to JCL himself, as I'm trying to ignore both the...interesting attempt at sarcasm that began this thread, and the flame war that has followed:

First, I suppose I agree that it's silly for government to be involved in marriage, but the thing is, it *is* involved, and that's the reality we need to work with. Marriage privitization is completely unworkable in the current political climate. I think that equal treatment under the law is vitally important, and that if government *is* involved in something, it better treat people equally. If not, that's a far more dangerous threat than government simply continuing to involve itself in marriage.

And religious beliefs shouldn't decide policy. Secular government is the best way to go, otherwise you're imposing laws on people based on unprovable religion they believe is false, and regardless of what the majority religion or "traditional" religion is, that's theocratic, and theocracy is a cancer to our constitutional republic.

Second, you say homosexuality is "unnatural," and while I disagree (and could elaborate for a while on why if asked, but would rather not), let's say that you're correct...so? Why should you care? I mean, say that some people eat oreos with mayonnaise, and I think it's "unnatural," should I go around making speeches against oreos with mayonnaise, and make laws that treat people who like the taste of oreos and mayonnaise unequally? No, then I'd be an a-hole wasting my time getting involved in other people's personal lives.

But that analogy isn't even good--this isn't an issue of an absurd snack, but love. You recently got married, JCL, so you should understand how big of a deal this is. Imagine that you lived in a country where the largest religion taught that, for whatever reason, you and your wife's relationship was lesser than that of others--unnatural, sinful, diseased. That would be pretty crappy, wouldn't it?

The LGBTQ+ community has been living their lives hearing this all the time. That's why depression and even suicide is so common. I'm not saying that you're solely responsible for making people feel this way, JCL, but everyone who acts like this is, to a degree, part of the problem--and religion shouldn't be a free pass.

I'm not going to advocate censorship, or campaigns against a person in a forum game, but I strongly feel that we need to put an end to homophobia. If you (not just JCL, but millions of people in this country) feel that way, I'm sorry you don't understand what we're trying to say, but you just need to stop, okay? This is more than a talking point or some personal belief you have, there are real people with real lives just like everyone else, and they're ing tired of being treated like lesser beings because of who they love.

(Oh, and do you really think that reproduction is the only purpose of marriage? If Christians really think that, shouldn't they marry the day they reach the age of consent, and then start having kids immediately and keep on conceiving immediately after the last one came out until that's no longer possible? Not trying to be a jerk, really, just trying to make sense of your logic here.)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »

say that some people eat oreos with mayonnaise, and I think it's "unnatural," should I go around making speeches against oreos with mayonnaise, and make laws that treat people who like the taste of oreos and mayonnaise unequally?
Yes...what is wrong with those people?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies